ADVERTISEMENT

This loss was "fine"; The New BBN Mentality

Getting real tired of hearing how everything is fine or we should be perfectly ok with these types of losses.
And it's prevalent through a lot of the fan base.

No team has won a title and lost to a mid major at home in TWENTY THREE years. It's just a bad sign in college basketball.

That's not to say we can't, but now the pressure is on even more than it already was.
Who is Matt Sak and why should anyone here care of what he thinks?

Never quite gotten the point of starting threads here about tweets of just some random person nobody’s heard of. If you wanna reply to what he said, just do it directly there.

Who is Matt Sak and why should anyone here care of what he thinks?

Never quite gotten the point of starting threads here about tweets of just some random person nobody’s heard of. If you wanna reply to what he said, just do it directly there.
He runs a pretty decent podcast that's somewhat competing with KSR. And by competing I mean just offering another perspective. The reason I posted it is it's becoming a more prevalent attitude in the fan base, even here at times.

Reactions: STL_Cat and UK90
OK, I wasn’t aware of this. I’d never heard of him. I guess that might make his tweet a bit more relevant.
Yeah, he's not like "big" like Tucker, MJ, or Vaught. But he does have a good following on that podcast. He's active on social media, and is usually a good source of info and discussion. But he's absolutely a sunshine pumper's pumper.

Getting real tired of hearing how everything is fine or we should be perfectly ok with these types of losses.

No team has won a title and lost to a mid major at home in TWENTY THREE years. It's just a bad sign in college basketball.

That's not to say we can't, but now the pressure is on even more than it already was.
Matt sak or whatever is probably some genz who doesn’t know what it’s like and what it takes to win at UK so he’s satisfied. This is what the cal/Barney axis have done to the younger generations

One loss does NOT wreck an entire season. Plus, we were shorthanded. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that we haven't seen an unbeaten national champion in men's basketball since the '76 Indiana Hoosiers.

Trust in Cal! Heck ... I'd extend his lifetime contract if I could!

I could see the rationalization if our past teams had won a recent championship, made it to a final four, still won the SEC, etc. But, the idea of waiting until the end of the year for the team to be good wears thin when at the end of the past several years you have done none of the above.

Bill Buttlickers neighbor.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

One loss does NOT wreck an entire season. Plus, we were shorthanded. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that we haven't seen an unbeaten national champion in men's basketball since the '76 Indiana Hoosiers.

Like losing to a directional school, UK isn’t sopposed to lose to a directional schools.

I go back well before Tubby, but if they didn't live thru Tubby, I would question someone's perspective on Calipari
Right. Profile pictures for a lot of these Twitter "journalists" covering UK basketball suggest they weren't around for the Pitino years.

• Love
Reactions: STL_Cat
I could see the rationalization if our past teams had won a recent championship, made it to a final four, still won the SEC, etc. But, the idea of waiting until the end of the year for the team to be good wears thin when at the end of the past several years you have done none of the above.
If this happened during Cal’s first 6 seasons here, I didn’t worry as much because it DID HELP the team to go through a tough loss that helped for the NCAA’s. But since then, it’s just been another HORRIBLE LOSS that doesn’t help ANY!!!

I never have expected to win every game and that includes the late 90s run and the early Cal tenure, but I do expect to beat UNCW at home. It was a bad L. That said, it won’t derail my hopes for the season, nor has it impacted my regular life in any way.

As I age, I don’t care about this stuff as much as I did in my 20s and 30s, so the only loss I fret over these days is the last one of every season.

The loss Saturday was disappointing, but I couldn’t do anything to prevent it from happening because I don’t play or coach. I’m sure I’m a bad fan because I don’t let college sports ruin my day or piss me off for more than an hour or two.
Well doggone, maybe you could become a Dr Phil for neurotic UK fans.

Right. Profile pictures for a lot of these Twitter "journalists" covering UK basketball suggest they weren't around for the Pitino years.
I go back to the last 12 years of Coach Rupp, what we see now isn't UK basketball. It isn't Hall ball, Pitino ball, Tubby ball or even Cal ball prior to 2015. Anyone who says or tries to make the case that a loss like this is "fine" doesn't know diddly about what is or isn't UK basketball

Lookie here, a another brand new baby cowboi account! Only 2 days old, born-on 12/2/23

remember at the start of Talladega Nights when they have the car ready to go back into the race and the driver is over at the food court eating a chicken sandwich?

Cal is at the eating a chicken sandwich on the bench stage of his coaching now

and these twitter Cal fans are debating if he likes it with Duke mayonnaise or not.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

These guys come from the we all get medals and we lost no big deal we play again in a couple days.

And if you are such a dipstick that you don’t know what an unacceptable loss is for a team like UK you are not a fan of sports.

Reactions: bbncal02
These guys come from the we all get medals and we lost no big deal we play again in a couple days.

And if you are such a dipstick that you don’t know what an unacceptable loss is for a team like UK you are not a fan of sports.
I mean, you don't dwell on a loss forever, that I can agree with, but this, "Meh, it's fine" stuff. Wild to me.

Would Kobe or MJ ever be "ok" with a loss? Heck, even LeFlop wouldn't be "ok" with it.

I would say we are the new Indiana but they have a better record right now glad we dont have to play them anymore be another loss on the schedule

I mean, you don't dwell on a loss forever, that I can agree with, but this, "Meh, it's fine" stuff. Wild to me.

Would Kobe or MJ ever be "ok" with a loss? Heck, even LeFlop wouldn't be "ok" with it.
Who says it's "fine." Or "OK". Even the guy you quoted didn't actually use those words. Who says we're accepting mediocrity, like it's something that's even remotely under our control as fans. I don't have Cal's private number so I can vent as to his allocation of minutes, or game strategy. I don't have Barney's number so I can bitch about Cal. I'm not a big NIL guy who might have a chance of someone at UK listening to me.

We're all just internet schlubs with virtually zero control over the things we complain about LOL. From listening to the players in the post game, I don't get the sense they're "fine" with the loss. Sheppard was just the opposite. I'm not sure I understand the point of threads like this which is something akin to "you fans need to stop accepting mediocrity", and then ergo, somehow we'll win more games.

Great teams don't lose that game, in any month, which makes the rest of that drivel irrelevant.
Anybody think Kansas would have lost to that team, but then again they have a coach, uk does not

Cal reverted to all of his bad habits Saturday as a coach.

He hasn't changed. I suspect that when we inevitably go down in the tournament, it will be a game where we get waxed from the three point line and end up scoring at least +12 points lower than whatever our season average was.

Cal can no longer be trusted with anything. He has the best guards in the nation, and he did nothing with them Saturday.

• Sad
Reactions: catben
The mentality of it’s ok is an absolute pussyfooting soft view… total Bull crap.

It’s embarrassing for UK.

Evansville
Richmond
St. Peters
UNCW

These losses should happen 1 time in every 7-8 years… not nearly once per year

Cal is 11-5 in Rupp the last 16 games.

These losses are absolutely awful.

Good thing St. Joes missed a gimmie at the rim late or it would be 10-6!

Last edited:
The mentality of it’s ok is absolute pussyfooting soft view… total Bull crap.

It’s embarrassing for UK.

Evansville
Richmond
St. Peters
UNCW

These losses should happen 1 time in every 7-8 years… not nearly once per year

Cal is 11-5 in Rupp the last 16 games.

These losses are absolutely awful.

Good thing St. Joes missed a gimmie late of it would be 10-6!
Cal's only good at one thing: recruiting.

It's folks who completely believe Cal for some reason. Maybe they're young and don't know the history. Maybe just a casual fan. I don’t know. Very odd to me

Like I said, Cal has neutered the Kentucky Basketball program and real Kentucky Basketball fans don't accept mediocrity. Only the Cal Boys who get off to wagging their fingers in UK fans faces from their morale high horse. All that said, Cal has ruined ever having high expectations for me again not because I am "fine" with the results but because of the nonstop horse shit losses that continue to pile up. There were some highs early on in the Cal tenure but anymore it's filled with embarrassment hitting all-time low points. Count me as one that will never buy into the hype as long as CCC is still at Kentucky.

Not saying it is fine. Saying it is over and can't be changed at this point. Best thing you can do is keep your chin up and get to work. It is not the end of the world.
Happened to Rupp
Rupp was outstanding his last five years. 114 wins 25 losses 82% 5 Sec titles

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT