ADVERTISEMENT

I have a very bad feeling we’re about to enter a BBN civil war.

You need support our coaching staff, calapri works his tail off. We are fortunate to have him.
You mean support a staff led by a man who patently demonstrates that he does not care about the program or it's goals? He might "work his tail off" but it's certainly not in an effort to win in any meaningful capacity.

Reactions: crestcat
I’ve seen a LOT of rhetoric today about no one else is qualified to coach Kentucky but Cal. And that we’re nothing without him.

I’ve been a part of this fan base through good times and bad. I’ve never seen it this damn hell bent on kamikazing our history. Makes me want to just stop being a fan to be honest.

This is what Cal has done. Screw him.
It's because you have people on here that are here for ONE REASON ONLY. The NBA. They gamble on the NBA and they worship Cal because of the NBA role he's turned UK into. It's never about "UK deserves better than this". It's "we're nothing without Cal".

He still seems to have plenty of tail. This team looks like the least coached team we’ve ever had. Same stuff run against us all year and we never got better.
We basically ran the same offense we've been running for years, so what WAS the purpose of Welch?

The one silver lining on Thursday was that the fanbase was united. Now, 48 hours later I am seeing a lot of waffling and people bargaining for him to “stay but change”. I think he stays now, and the program is pretty much dead. We sold our soul to this guy.

I appreciate all of the years that Calipari has given to the university as the coach. His servant leader concept is beneficial to those players and the service they have done in the community was set out and planned by the coaches. Good for them.

Let’s face it. John Calipari has been quite successful at UK - up until about 5-6 years ago. My contention is simply that he is more interested in getting his players drafted than winning games, tournaments or maintaining a high standard of bb excellence at the university of Kentucky. That is why I am in favor of him being replaced. As long as he was winning, the priority of getting players drafted didn’t interfere with the goal of winning games. A lack of attention to actual in game coaching and game preparation is now a glaring issue and that is why I can no longer support him as coach.

I wish he and his family the best and hope and pray that this conflict can be resolved with good will and integrity on both sides. Warring with each other does no good toward the objective of the firing and hiring process. We are united in that we all want what is best for the UK basketball program and hopefully, the administration wants that as well. Jm2cents
My antenna went up before during a pregame conference before the Oakland game when Cal went on this long tirade about how how many Kentucky Players were in the NBA, how much money they were making, and the transformation made possible by UK Basketball. The spiel we've all heard and come to know well, if not love.

Great as all that stuff is, it's really just secondary. If Cal, really wants make a dent in generational poverty (as Jesus said, no one is going to end it), he should donate all of his yearly millions to UK scholarships and job training programs for disadvantaged boys and girls and live on a UK professors pay.

The harsh reality is Cal is paid all that filthy lucre to win basketball games and championships. Full stop Take a look at what we pay social workers and public school teachers and those that dedicate their existence to helping others advance. I can't say it moves the needle for me much, if Anthony Davis or KAT negotiates an extra 10 million dollars on their contract. My guess is they would be making that with or without Calipari. However, crude as it sounds, watching UK kick a little a$$ in the SEC or NCAA does provide a bit of excitement, even joy to my.everyday existence. .

Our fan base has unrealistic expectations, calapri is still good coach. All the other schools are praying coach gets fired

Its unrealistic to ask a coach that makes 8-9 mil a year to finish better than 5th in the conference or make it past the first round of the ncaa tourney? Lol.

I don't see a lot of fighting unless whoever replaces him is worse than him.

The issue now is perspective. Cal needs to go but who we get is important. It isn't as simple as some are making it. Things like "well they can't be any worse" and then stating Cal's sh*tty performance over the past 5 years won't cut it.

We need a winner, period.

Reactions: Jazzycat
There no issue with where the program stands today, most are on board. The unknown is the biggest concern. Will we hire a Kenny Payne or Archie Miller, or can we find that next Rick Pitino or Dan Hurley?

For those that were I. This board during the Tubby finales was it seemingly this ugly then too?

Yeah, it was worse. The racism accusations were very ugly. Plus, Tubby didn't alienate the fans as much as Cal has with comments and personality. Add in the fact that Tubby never had a losing season and always made the tournament (bubble team the last 2 years) and you can see why some felt he was being railroaded.

I supported Tubby for a long time but my doubts started in the 1999 season of turmoil. I have tried to support Cal but this latest loss has done me in.

Support is a loaded word. For me, I support Cal the way I support the pilot of the plane im
Flying in. At the end of the day I want the plane to land safely. We can sort out the quality of the flight once we are in the hangar. Then we decide if we need to change pilots before the next flight. But while that bird was in the air he had my full support, because afterall, what other choice did we have?

That said, support and satisfaction isn’t the same thing.
So, to further expand your analogy, if the pilot was deliberately buzzing the tower and flying too close to the mountains all the time, and the passengers became alarmed and started yelling to stay away from the mountains, and the pilot was always bragging about how he didn't crash into the mountains THIS time, and calling the passengers "bennies" and "crazy," and then started a dive directly at the ground, would you still support this pilot?

We will have a civil war if we make the choice to overreact to those we disagree with. I've moved to the camp of believing Cal should go. I disagree with those who believe otherwise. They aren't idiots. I see no reason to question their motives, intelligence or judgment. And they share the desire we all have for UK to be restored to its rightful position as a program to be feared in March and April. What I AM concerned about is how the next season will play out. I believe Cal will stay, and if he does, I can't imagine how much more pressure will be heaped on the players and Cal and his staff. And like everyone else, I'll be looking for empty seats at the games. There are no guaranteed dynasties. We will become UCLA, Indiana or UofL? We were fortunate to attract Cal after the previous disastrous hire. No guarantees next time.

We will have a civil war if we make the choice to overreact to those we disagree with. I've moved to the camp of believing Cal should go. I disagree with those who believe otherwise. They aren't idiots. I see no reason to question their motives, intelligence or judgment. And they share the desire we all have for UK to be restored to its rightful position as a program to be feared in March and April. What I AM concerned about is how the next season will play out. I believe Cal will stay, and if he does, I can't imagine how much more pressure will be heaped on the players and Cal and his staff. And like everyone else, I'll be looking for empty seats at the games. There are no guaranteed dynasties. We will become UCLA, Indiana or UofL? We were fortunate to attract Cal after the previous disastrous hire. No guarantees next time.
"They aren't idiots" - no, but they have an agenda. Most of the ones on this board who aren't idiots (and some are) are Cal staffers and trolls.

So, to further expand your analogy, if the pilot was deliberately buzzing the tower and flying too close to the mountains all the time, and the passengers became alarmed and started yelling to stay away from the mountains, and the pilot was always bragging about how he didn't crash into the mountains THIS time, and calling the passengers "bennies" and "crazy," and then started a dive directly at the ground, would you still support this pilot?
That’s the thing, once the plane is is the air (season has begun) , we can’t have an emergency landing to get a new pilot. We have to wait until we are back on the ground (end of season). Then you switch pilots. But while the bird is flying around dodging mountains I was really rooting for him to keep the nose up.

I want Cal gone. I wish he would leave on his own; if not, I hope there is the administrative will to buy him out and make him leave. I have felt this way for some time now. Some have arrived at this conclusion later than some, myself included, but I just don't see a statistically significant contingent of the fan base demanding that Cal return at this point in time

However, as far as this "civil war" stuff goes, I have detected on this site for a while now that people who are not "Cal defenders" are many times unfairly boxed into that group.

Because someone thinks that before you fire Cal or anyone, a carefully-considered plan must be in place and are skeptical about replacing Cal with a coach just because that coach is on a current winning streak (there is more than one way to end up where Indiana is now, and firing someone out of anger and making a careless decision on a replacement can get you there as well) does not make someone a Cal "nuthugger."

Because someone thinks that the Cal era should come to an end, but disagree that the man has no integrity or is simply a bad person - or does not approve of the mocking of his family or his sick dog - does not make someone a Cal sunshine pumper.

Because someone who is disappointed if Cal is the coach next year will nonetheless support our team, get excited and / or hopeful when there is positive news or a good game, and hope that Cal can figure it out or simply luck his way into a post-season run rather than refusing to support our program or go over every syllable of every word that Cal says in an effort to arrive at a preordained conclusion that Cal is the devil - that does not make that person a Cal defender.

I often hear the criticism, sometimes delivered in a very hostile manner, that Cal defenders put their love of him before the university. But what I observe much more often is "if you don't hate Cal as much as I do or precisely the way I do" or "if you don't agree that any coach who is currently on a good run is a good replacement" or "if you won't make it personal against Cal" or "if you won't boycott Rupp, put a sign in the man's yard, use your own $ to help fund a billboard, or pull your support of the program" - then you are a Cal lover.

In my view, those people are the ones that are guilty of putting their hate of one individual over their loyalty to BBN and those are the individuals who are inciting the "civil war" they complain about.

I know the internet is most always a terrible place, but please do not mistake decency, civility, and a measure of reason instead of being reactionary with torches and pitchforks as the type of conduct that encourages a "civil war" in the BBN.
Couldn’t have said it better. Spot on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT