ADVERTISEMENT

This should unequivocally be the end of Mitch

This search started a few years ago. That's why everyone knew Drew was Mitch's guy. Not even Mitch is pathetic enough to actually wait.

Why would we not? Every penny takes away from nil and other salaries across multiple sports. It's a massive escalation. We only have so much in donor money because UK itself only pays 400k of the money iirc

I don't have personal knowledge. I do know it wasn't even a secret for a few years drew was his guy. He flew the mans family in. No way all that gets out unless Mitch thinks it's done. He whiffed because of a failure to properly vet.
My initial question was in reference to your assertion that Mitch didn’t pursue anyone else. Of course he did/is.

It's not so much waiting.. it's that Barnhardt's one hand to play was hiring his Jesus buddy over in Waco.. and that backfired, embarrassingly so.

If he can't pull his buddy on board than that was kind of the last straw for people, from a guy that most people wanted out next after Cal.

Not to mention college athletics have shifted more in the last 2 years than they did in the last 50. Its a new game, and he was already antiquated 10 years ago. Time to move on.
I think this is fair and accurate as to where things stand. In spite of that I don't think we can replace an AD in the middle of a coaching search. we are in a mess with no apparent way out right now. Hell offer the new OK St coach(former WKU coach) the ink isn't dry on his contract yet.

Hurley isn't coming, Donovan would have a hard time finding enough players to make up a roster. Cal succeeded in destroying UK basketball when he left, but having him gone is worth starting over

It's beyond belief this concern wasn't vetted out already. You cant have this guy in waiting and find out at the 11th hour, after everyone knows, that his family doesn't want to move. That's something you find out early, not last second.
This was being vetted out. Would have been vetted out quietly if we didn’t have fans tracking flights and the such. All of a sudden we have major sports media reporting that UK fans are barraging a restaurant Drew was eating at with phone calls. That’s why this went from speculation about what was happening behind the scenes to out in the open.

You don’t have to like Mitch, but this isn’t his fault that the Drew situation became so public.

The only thing embarrassing is the fan base freaking out, we will get a good coach
We may or we may not Billy G ring a bell? The top 3 options seem out of reach as we stand today. There is no one size fits all when it comes to Kentucky basketball. There are only a handful of coaches that are equipped to handle the spotlight, pressure and expectations of the job

to be fair, he could have blind sided Mitch.

I assume Mitch had no idea Cal was leaving, which didn't give him any time to let Scott mentally prepare his family for it.

Still. its a bad look, especially knowing Drew turned down Louisville (imagine being the guy that turns down Kentucky AND Louisville) two weeks ago

We may or we may not Billy G ring a bell? The top 3 options seem out of reach as we stand today. There is no one size fits all when it comes to Kentucky basketball. There are only a handful of coaches that are equipped to handle the spotlight, pressure and expectations of the job
That is true and Billy G was a bad hire, on the other hand, does Rupp, Hall, Pitino, Sutton Smith and Calamari ring a bell?

That is true and Billy G was a bad hire, on the other hand, does Rupp, Hall, Pitino, Sutton Smith and Calamari ring a bell?
Yes they do, Rupp, Hall, Pitino and Smith fit the bill, the other two maybe maybe not. The current state of College basketball make the task more difficult than when any of those coaches were hired. It is much easier to make a mistake now.

I think we have to hire a coach that can bring at least a portion of a roster that will be ready to compete in the SEC(those aren't growing on trees) Cal's 9-16 season may not look all that bad for the next year or two. Are we ready for that?

There is nothing wrong with his decision. The problem is this is a risk Mitch should've vetted out way before now, since they both had him in mind for this job when it came open. There is no way a leader can find this out at this hour, especially after such a public courting.

It's embarrassing and it will cost us real money as we lose leverage as time goes on. Cherry on top is the portal and recruiting churns on without us while cal will be poaching anyone he can.
From what I have heard they went with Drew first since Hurley will not answer anything until after Saturday and Billy will not say anything until I think Wednesday next week. So now Drew is officially out, they never offered him a contract just asked if he was interested, my guess he was a bit since his family flew up to Lexington. But he does have a ton of family in the Waco area and kids in high school so I do hope Baylor upped their offer since he decided to stay.

Yes they do, Rupp, Hall, Pitino and Smith fit the bill, the other two maybe maybe not. The current state of College basketball make the task more difficult than when any of those coaches were hired. It is much easier to make a mistake now.

I think we have to hire a coach that can bring at least a portion of a roster that will be ready to compete in the SEC(those aren't growing on trees) Cal's 9-16 season may not look all that bad for the next year or two. Are we ready for that?
I agree with most of what you say. Sutton sucked here because of circumstances but make no mistakes, he was a great coach. Cal, well, he did bad his last few years but he will be small time great. It is getting to the point that UK may have to take a gamble on an up and Comer. I would be disappointed e Pearl, Miller, Smart. The longer the search goes on, the more likely we will stink at least 1 year

Mitch done it to himself.
We’ve known since 2017 that cal was never going to win another title and the chump never put in a contingency plan

Reactions: BigBlueGoo2
This was being vetted out. Would have been vetted out quietly if we didn’t have fans tracking flights and the such. All of a sudden we have major sports media reporting that UK fans are barraging a restaurant Drew was eating at with phone calls. That’s why this went from speculation about what was happening behind the scenes to out in the open.

You don’t have to like Mitch, but this isn’t his fault that the Drew situation became so public.

The vetting should've been several months ago. No way it should get this far if the family was an issue.

In terms of flights, not anticipating that is just another failure. Uk could easily chart a flight and it not show. Instead mitch was lazy. Lazy because somehow he never anticipated this being an issue

The vetting should've been several months ago. No way it should get this far if the family was an issue.

In terms of flights, not anticipating that is just another failure. Uk could easily chart a flight and it not show. Instead mitch was lazy. Lazy because somehow he never anticipated this being an issue.

Yeah right. Everybody knew months ago that Cal would lose to Oakland and Muss would go to USC and Arkansas would hire Cal. Got it. Seriously, do some you live in the real world or just watch Hallmark movies all day long?

Reactions: sefus12

In terms of flights, not anticipating that is just another failure. Uk could easily chart a flight and it not show. Instead mitch was lazy. Lazy because somehow he never anticipated this being an issue
You need help.

Reactions: preacherfan
I agree with most of what you say. Sutton sucked here because of circumstances but make no mistakes, he was a great coach. Cal, well, he did bad his last few years but he will be small time great. It is getting to the point that UK may have to take a gamble on an up and Comer. I would be disappointed e Pearl, Miller, Smart. The longer the search goes on, the more likely we will stink at least 1 year
I agree, don't get me wrong ,as far as basketball goes Sutton was a great coach. What ever went down on his watch should not have happened. Who did what and who knew what may never come to light unless Joe Bill Campbell or Dwayne Casey tell all on their death bead He was on the verge of a mini dynasty. Cal was never the same post 2015, I have to wonder what will happen at Arkansas. An up and comer would be preferable to any of the 3 you name in my book.

As a side note ,according to Campbell, there is a clause in Casey's settlement that prevents anyone from disclosing any facts or details about the case.

Reactions: JC CATS
I agree, don't get me wrong ,as far as basketball goes Sutton was a great coach. What ever went down on his watch should not have happened. Who did what and who knew what may never come to light unless Joe Bill Campbell or Dwayne Casey tell all on their death bead He was on the verge of a mini dynasty. Cal was never the same post 2015, I have to wonder what will happen at Arkansas. An up and comer would be preferable to any of the 3 you name in my book.

As a side note ,according to Campbell, there is a clause in Casey's settlement that prevents anyone from disclosing any facts or details about the case.

When I first joined this board we were discussing the Sutton years. A lawyer who was involved with the whole ordeal at the time posted on this board and told us to drop it. Apparently, there are many who never want the truth to be told.

Reactions: JC CATS
When I first joined this board we were discussing the Sutton years. A lawyer who was involved with the whole ordeal at the time posted on this board and told us to drop it. Apparently, there are many who never want the truth to be told.
That was likely Joe Bill

Reactions: preacherfan
As I said....if this isn't it nothing will be. He'll he shouldn't even be paid but be forced to stay and deal with this disaster

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT