ADVERTISEMENT

This loss was "fine"; The New BBN Mentality

bbncal02

All-American
Nov 14, 2017
Hopkinsville

Getting real tired of hearing how everything is fine or we should be perfectly ok with these types of losses.
And it's prevalent through a lot of the fan base.

No team has won a title and lost to a mid major at home in TWENTY THREE years. It's just a bad sign in college basketball.

That's not to say we can't, but now the pressure is on even more than it already was.

Getting real tired of hearing how everything is fine or we should be perfectly ok with these types of losses.
And it's prevalent through a lot of the fan base.

No team has won a title and lost to a mid major at home in TWENTY THREE years. It's just a bad sign in college basketball.

That's not to say we can't, but now the pressure is on even more than it already was.
UNCW, the W might as well stand for west, we lost to no more than a directional school .

@bbncal02
IMO... the loss is NOT FINE with me.. but not entirely unexpected.
and I think many like me are at that point.
There is no reason to lose your shit (not you) and go crazy over this kinda loss. We sucked and played terrible, as opposed to the Miami game.
So many clamored for Reed and he was a TO machine and horrible on defense (neither has happened yet, this year).
I am not saying it is a one-off. But to hear the same screaming and crying about Cal; ain't going to change anything.
MB is not letting him go, not matter how much we want it...

@bbncal02
IMO... the loss is NOT FINE with me.. but not entirely unexpected.
and I think many like me are at that point.
There is no reason to lose your shit (not you) and go crazy over this kinda loss. We sucked and played terrible, as opposed to the Miami game.
So many clamored for Reed and he was a TO machine and horrible on defense (neither has happened yet, this year).
I am not saying it is a one-off. But to hear the same screaming and crying about Cal; ain't going to change anything.
MB is not letting him go, not matter how much we want it...
It's the at home part that's eating me. That is RUPP. You just don't lose to that kind of team at HOME if you are truly elite. You go on the road? Eh, unfamiliar environment, road crowd, team has a desire to protect their home court (lol), and you let one slip. Crap happens. And I thought this group was above their own hype. Guess not. I'm not done with them, but now we can't trust them to come out and crush like we thought we could.

His third point is also untrue because losing a game in December means you get a worse seed, meaning you play a better seed in March, meaning you will have a harder time winning against a better team than a worse team. You still CAN win in March, but losing to mid-majors at home absolutely does make it harder to win in March.

Cal has said it so many times that many have bought into it. People could stomach it a little more when the team was winning the SEC, SECT, and going to FFs. The last few years we’ve lost these games, and then still lost (badly) in March.

I still think this team is fine, but GREAT teams find ways to win those types of games. There is nothing wrong with questioning what happened vs a mid major after such fun win vs Miami.

You’re not a better fan because you sit around and don’t care about results. That’s not what made Kentucky, Kentucky.

Cal has said it so many times that many have bought into it. People could stomach it a little more when the team was winning the SEC, SECT, and going to FFs. The last few years we’ve lost these games, and then still lost (badly) in March.

I still think this team is fine, but GREAT teams find ways to win those types of games. There is nothing wrong with questioning what happened vs a mid major after such fun win vs Miami.

You’re not a better fan because you sit around and don’t care about results. That’s not what made Kentucky, Kentucky.

People always sit and wonder, "What has made Alabama FB so dominant over the years?"
It's because they don't settle. Sure, they have bad years too. All teams do, and UK is not immune. But when they DO have a bad year, they bounce back within the next season usually. And they don't accept mediocrity.

If Alabama football lost at home to say, Western Kentucky or Troy, do you think Bama fans would be "fine" with it? Oh heck no. The groaning would be extremely loud and Saban wouldn't come out to the press conference and say, "Why did I schedule this team?" Sure, Cal said some ok things like "That's not who we are." But man, talk is CHEAP! Fix it! I've been begging the man to prove me wrong for 5 years. He hasn't done it yet.

There was a time not long ago where we went to 4 Final Fours in 5 years, beat a national team with pros, dominated college basketball and didn't lose to mid majors at Rupp. I want to get back to THAT and away from the current mediocrity we've settled into. 63-38 is bad enough to get a coach fired at Kentucky. The only reason Cal is still here is because of his first 5-7 years IMO. Eventually you have to ask, "what have you done for me lately?"

Using that line of thinking, we should just coast and relax and do just enough to get in as an 11 or 12 seed and just focus on playing good in March!

There was a time not long ago where we went to 4 Final Fours in 5 years, beat a national team with pros, dominated college basketball and didn't lose to mid majors at Rupp. I want to get back to THAT and away from the current mediocrity we've settled into. 63-38 is bad enough to get a coach fired at Kentucky. The only reason Cal is still here is because of his first 5-7 years IMO. Eventually you have to ask, "what have you done for me lately?"
Happened to Rupp

People always sit and wonder, "What has made Alabama FB so dominant over the years?"
It's because they don't settle. Sure, they have bad years too. All teams do, and UK is not immune. But when they DO have a bad year, they bounce back within the next season usually. And they don't accept mediocrity.

If Alabama football lost at home to say, Western Kentucky or Troy, do you think Bama fans would be "fine" with it? Oh heck no. The groaning would be extremely loud and Saban wouldn't come out to the press conference and say, "Why did I schedule this team?" Sure, Cal said some ok things like "That's not who we are." But man, talk is CHEAP! Fix it! I've been begging the man to prove me wrong for 5 years. He hasn't done it yet.
Saban also adapted to the changing landscape of college football. Cal has yet to do that with basketball. He might dip his toe in here and there, but he hasn’t committed to it and reverts back to his way too much.

Guys like Saban, and even K, we’re obsessed with their legacy and winning titles. Cal is the guy who once said if UK won a title and no one got drafted, he probably wouldn’t consider that a successful season. Imagine any coach saying that, it’s crazy.

Bama gets their best players 3 or 4 seasons. Apples to oranges. That's the big reason football has little parity when the best programs have the correct coaches n place.

I agree Saban would not say stupid things though. That's a cal speciality.

I want calipari gone tomorrow so we can find the best coach for UK. I'm not fine with the loss and it zapped all enthusiasm away from me this calendar year at least with UK basketball. I'll watch but this was a season deflating loss.

Bama gets their best players 3 or 4 seasons. Apples to oranges. That's the big reason football has little parity when the best programs have the correct coaches n place.

I agree Saban would not say stupid things though. That's a cal speciality.

I want calipari gone tomorrow so we can find the best coach for UK. I'm not fine with the loss and it zapped all enthusiasm away from me this calendar year at least with UK basketball. I'll watch but this was a season deflating loss.
The point still stands. You use your best players correctly for the time you have them.

Reactions: STL_Cat
His third point is also untrue because losing a game in December means you get a worse seed, meaning you play a better seed in March, meaning you will have a harder time winning against a better team than a worse team. You still CAN win in March, but losing to mid-majors at home absolutely does make it harder to win in March.
Exactly. *Every* game matters.

This ain’t intramurals!

Reactions: bbncal02
Cal has got this.
Rihanna Walk GIF

Will Cow Purry get his swag back soon? If not I'd say it's to mooove on.

Last edited:
these twitter guys do the best sucking up to Cal.

I think most of them became fans in 2012
He has his own podcast, which is decent, it's like it was formed to counter KSR's "negativity". Which, while MJ can be a little over the top at times, he's usually decently fair.

Dude also tried to tell me UCONN lost to a mid major at home last season.....they didn't. They lost to St. John's and Xavier at home. Both of those are conference losses and not mid majors.

Reactions: STL_Cat
All my life I’ve heard that we’re an irrational fan base. Sometimes I agree.

But as I’ve gotten older I’ve seen in many aspects of life that people no longer demand excellence. They make excuses or reasons to be ok with mediocrity.

I guess it’s a free country and you’re free to be average. But that mentality seeps in. Good is the enemy of great. I fear that’s where we’re at.

I never have expected to win every game and that includes the late 90s run and the early Cal tenure, but I do expect to beat UNCW at home. It was a bad L. That said, it won’t derail my hopes for the season, nor has it impacted my regular life in any way.

As I age, I don’t care about this stuff as much as I did in my 20s and 30s, so the only loss I fret over these days is the last one of every season.

The loss Saturday was disappointing, but I couldn’t do anything to prevent it from happening because I don’t play or coach. I’m sure I’m a bad fan because I don’t let college sports ruin my day or piss me off for more than an hour or two.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
No way would cal have a prolific NBA scorer sitting on the bench in 2015 and leave Willie cauley stein who could not drop one I the Atlantic Ocean letting his man sag off and double team Karl Anthony Townes Cals got this

He has his own podcast, which is decent, it's like it was formed to counter KSR's "negativity". Which, while MJ can be a little over the top at times, he's usually decently fair.

Dude also tried to tell me UCONN lost to a mid major at home last season.....they didn't. They lost to St. John's and Xavier at home. Both of those are conference losses and not mid majors.
that is whats crazy to me. I see all these people trashing Matt Jones about being negative.

Matt Jones for years was considered a huge sunshine pumper and protector of the program.

I don't know if these guys just showed up lately, but its clear they have no connection with the history of the program from a fan perspective.

Last edited:
It was a bad loss, and we’ll have to do a lot of positive things to make up for it.

Did it hurt that DJ was out? Yes.

Was it a challenge mixing in Bradshaw after months on the sideline? Also, yes.

Did our coach have us properly prepared for some very predictable issues that cost us the win? That would be a hard NO.

All my life I’ve heard that we’re an irrational fan base. Sometimes I agree.

But as I’ve gotten older I’ve seen in many aspects of life that people no longer demand excellence. They make excuses or reasons to be ok with mediocrity.

I guess it’s a free country and you’re free to be average. But that mentality seeps in. Good is the enemy of great. I fear that’s where we’re at.
We can trash A&M for being unrealistic or thinking they are elite when they are not

but there is no arguing they are not settling for second tier in the SEC. They intend to compete with Bama, Georgia , Texas and Oklahoma - and will do whatever they can to make that happen. That may mean getting rid of a heralded coach and gambling on one who doesn't work out, and replacing him in 3 years.

UK *used* to be there but our AD has locked us in to where we have few options.

I don't think anyone would seriously debate that Cal would be our coach right now if he didn't have a monster buyout.

The people on here that's defending Calipari are the same bunch that said that Bill Curry, Joker Phillips, Billy Gillispie deserved another year.
Tubby too you that cliche well who else your going to get

that is whats crazy to me. I see all these people trashing Matt Jones about being negative.

Matt Jones for years was considered a huge sunshine pumper and protector of the program.

I don't know if these guys just showed up lately, but its clear they have no connection with the history of the program from a fan perspective.

And he will be again after calipari is gone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT