ADVERTISEMENT

The board wants Drew

Scott Drew cares more about preaching than he does coaching basketball. He's publicly stated this. He's not leaving his safe, private baptist school where that is encouraged to come live under the UK microscope. So I don't think we'll need to worry about Scott Drew.

"Baylor University gives you that opportunity. Spiritually we're allowed to have an impact in our players' lives, so many of my coaching friends [that] are devout in their faith are at institutions where they can't...we will do coach's bible studies together and we start every meeting in prayer."

Last edited:
Wright
Donovan
Hurley
Oats (maybe)

Hurley for sure but I think that’s unrealistic. Wroght and Steven’s are probably looooow chance but not 0. Hurley I think is 0 but wouldn’t mind being wrong.

Oats has done absolutely nothing to deserve even a phone call.

Reactions: BigBlue1992
Hurley should be the number one choice for most people on this board. He's a proven winner. Is he realistic however? I'd personally say no. With Hurley out of the question, there is no proven coach out there who is familiar with the current landscape. At this point, I feel we are all looking at potential more than anything. Just my opinion though!

The board WANTS Steven, wright

They’ll TAKE Drew if it means no more cal
web 900 x 600 Steven Wright 04.jpg

Beard would be my choice of the folks we can get. I know he has mates agsinst him but he's a proven coach and hes hungry.

Isn’t Baylor Catholic?
No it's baptist. He's Cal if his goal was to get guys into heaven and not the NBA.

Quotes from him in the past, the first is why he'd never come here.

"Baylor University gives you that opportunity. Spiritually we're allowed to have an impact in our players' lives, so many of my coaching friends [that] are devout in their faith are at institutions where they can't."

"All that matters is when I get to those gates, God's not going to say 'What was your record?, How many players did you help get to the pros? How many championships did you win?' So at the end of the day I am making sure (the players) are winning the game of life."

"If you have the right foundation and you know that Jesus has a plan for your life and you trust Him in handling your future then you can relax and enjoy the game of basketball, you can enjoy the game of life and at the end of the day winning the game of life is a lot more important than the game."

"Everything we do around the program is Christ-centered."

"Seeing the spiritual growth guys. Players who accept Christ, players who maybe prayed for the first time with the team, players who get baptized, players who come back and get Bible studies and go to church and you know that's what really exciting."

Last edited:
No it's baptist. He's Cal if his goal was to get guys into heaven and not the NBA.

Quotes from him in the past:

"All that matters is when I get to those gates, God's not going to say 'What was your record?, How many players did you help get to the pros? How many championships did you win?' So at the end of the day I am making sure (the players) are winning the game of life."

"If you have the right foundation and you know that Jesus has a plan for your life and you trust Him in handling your future then you can relax and enjoy the game of basketball, you can enjoy the game of life and at the end of the day winning the game of life is a lot more important than the game."

"Everything we do around the program is Christ-centered."

"Seeing the spiritual growth guys. Players who accept Christ, players who maybe prayed for the first time with the team, players who get baptized, players who come back and get Bible studies and go to church and you know that's what really exciting."
Yeah I’m fine that people have religion, but like politics I don’t want it in my sports, at least not to this level.

I would replace Oats with Vogel on that list and if that list is unrealistic, then we keep Cal. The options out there are average compared to UK standards. It reeks of desperation. “Oh, so and so did good in the tournament once, let’s hire them.”
I'm of the same mind. No one's happy with how things are right now, but I think the people who'd literally hire anyone but Cal could be in for a rude awaken when $33 million is spent to make a lateral move. Obviously if we fire him I hope I'm wrong and whoever takes over kills it here.

Donovan, When was the last time an NBA coach that wasn't on the hot seat left for a college job?
Hurley has basically a Dynasty going, very unlikely.
Oats buyout from AL is like 18 million, not happening.
Donovan has a losing record with the Bulls i believe. So he isn't exactly setting the world on fire there. The hot seat probably isn't far off.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
Donovan has a losing record with the Bulls i believe. So he isn't exactly setting the world on fire there. The hot seat probably isn't far off.
Doubt it. They don't have Lonzo or Lavine. I would think they know they are rebuilding some. But I do get your point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT