128-35
2X conference champs
1X National Champ
#5 in final poll Covid year.

Cal
105-52
1X conference champ
#8 final poll Covid year
How did Drew and Baylor finish the other 4 years aside from the natty? How many big 12 tournaments has he won? What's his record against KU? What about the top 25?

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
His achievements at Baylor are undeniable. He might not be great, but he's nowhere near as bad as people are making him out to be. This, here, below, is mighty f^><ing impressive. You could be possibly looking at a HOF coach one day. He's only 53 to boot. He's just not a sexy, flashy, kind of hire.

How did Drew and Baylor finish the other 4 years aside from the natty? How many big 12 tournaments has he won? What's his record against KU? What about the top 25?
Didn’t look it up. lol. Not wasting that much energy. Just took a quick glance at sports reference. Just know they have more post season wins than Cal does over that span and it’s Baylor.

Here are the facts, without any opinion.

Scott Drew has been a head coach 22 years.

* 10 years his teams did not play in the NCAA tournament.

* 3 years his teams lost in round of 64

* 4 years lost in round of 32 (that’s 17 years out of 22 not advancing past round of 32.)

* 2 years his team lost in the Sweet 16

* 2 years his teams lost in the Elite Eight

* 1 year won championship.

Like I say, just the facts.

Without the championship, it's not even debatable. He has a 64% winning record at Baylor, and 15 ten+ loss years in 21 seasons.

Reactions: jrc333
Didn’t look it up. lol. Not wasting that much energy. Just took a quick glance at sports reference. Just know they have more post season wins than Cal does over that span and it’s Baylor.
Didn't get past the 2nd rd in any of them. Never won the big 12 tournament. Has an atrocious record against KU and I am not sure of his top 25 record.

It's know accident that the SEC coaches polled about who we could hire that would cause them the most concern is Drew. He is an excellent XandO guy. No he is not " flashy" and will bring no " electricity for the some of the fan base initially. I don't feel flashy and electric are what UK needs right now. They need competence, stability and a coach who will work hard for the UNIVERSITY much more than "flash" right now

It's know accident that the SEC coaches polled about who we could hire that would cause them the most concern is Drew. He is an excellent XandO guy. No he is not " flashy" and will bring no " electricity for the some of the fan base initially. I don't feel flashy and electric are what UK needs right now. They need competence, stability and a coach who will work hard for the UNIVERSITY much more than "flash" right now
I'm sure Goodman was honest about that,lol/He really wants to help UK

oh so you want to skip the Natty year that so happens to be Cal's 9 win season. You are already showing that you want to warp reality to fit your feelings.

Didn't get past the 2nd rd in any of them. Never won the big 12 tournament. Has an atrocious record against KU and I am not sure of his top 25 record.
So like I said. Still better than Cal the last 5 years. I’m not advocating for making Drew one of the first 4-5 calls, if that’s what you think. I’m just saying he isn’t some bum considering he spend years rebuilding Baylor from the ground up with nowhere near the resources UK or Cal has had and still has as many championships as Cal.

It's not about doing better than Cal has done.

It's about returning Kentucky basketball to the top.

Can Scott Drew do that?

And I don't think he'd be a bad hire, I honestly think our recruiting wouldn't drop off much if at all. It's all of those early round tournament exits that scare me that aren't his title year. But Drew has a lot going for him.

He comes from a Basketball family (Valpo 98) and is a good recruiter. Not my first choice but I am warming up to the idea as I see potential and anything is better than being teased then disappointed time and time again. I am tired of the Flash and could use a little more Blue Collared hard work.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaginRondo

Can Scott Drew do that?

And I don't think he'd be a bad hire, I honestly think our recruiting wouldn't drop off much if at all. It's all of those early round tournament exits that scare me that aren't his title year. But Drew has a lot going for him.
If someone can win the title at Baylor..... we'd be UL fan level stupid to think he couldnt do it here.

Can Scott Drew do that?

Oh I don’t disagree with you. Thats what we all want. Realistically, no one is a lock to do that in today’s landscape. As much as we love Oats, he’s still 116-53 at Bama with 1 FF and was 96-43 at Buffalo. I still think the guy is a great coach.

I think Scott Drew is a perfectly good hire if about 5 other options said no first.

If it ain’t Hurley, you can pick apart every potential hire at this point.
Exactly. You can find something wrong with every coach out there. I mean even with Hurley, some would argue, "does he have the drive anymore?" There's really no perfect choice out there. Drew isn't first on my list either but the others don't beat him out by a whole lot, and they also are extremely unlikely to come here. They are already successful at pretty sweet gigs and when you are already a multi millionaire, 2 or 3 more million isn't really worth risking it all.

Oates already said no,Wright has said no,after Hurley has leveraged our offer into a huge contract at Uconn he will say no,and Donovan turned us down TWICE under better circumstances so he ain't coming so where does that leave us.Bruce Pearl, 70+ year old Rick Pitino,really.

Oates already said no,Wright has said no,after Hurley has leveraged our offer into a huge contract at Uconn he will say no,and Donovan turned us down TWICE under better circumstances so he ain't coming so where does that leave us.Bruce Pearl, 70+ year old Rick Pitino,really.
I would take 3 years of Pearl and be happy. Energy & passion at least.

* 4 years lost in round of 32 (that’s 17 years out of 22 not advancing past round of 32.)

His first 4 years at baylor suck bc he took over a program that was almost literally shut down bc a player murdered his teammate and they almost got the death penalty. And it's a school with zero tradition and history.

Now, Do hurley's first for years at an elite school, that already had 4 championsips, next please

I would take 3 years of Pearl and be happy. Energy & passion at least.
Bruce Pearl is a bad guy plus he's old as he'll. My son went to UT when Pearl was there. He had a couple of stories about Pearl that he saw first hand with his own eyes that tell me we don't want that guy hete. Do we really have to hire an ego manical sleaze ball to win here. Surely we can do better.

Bruce Pearl is a bad guy plus he's old as he'll. My son went to UT when Pearl was there. He had a couple of stories about Pearl that he saw first hand with his own eyes that tell me we don't want that guy hete. Do we really have to hire an ego manical sleaze ball to win here. Surely we can do better.
Gotcha. Don’t know about his time at UT but I’ve personally met him and he was one of the friendliest, down to earth coaches I’ve met, and it was a time he didn’t have to pretend to be nice. Sometime between the end of his UT time and his Auburn time, he dedicated his life back to his Jewish faith, so maybe that has something to do with it. Either way, if we’re looking for morality, our list is going to be pretty tiny.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
Yeah, if you think hiring Scott Drew is some moral superiority litmus test, you may want to look into his recruiting practices.

No candidate for a major coaching gig is going to have clean closets.

My son saw him drunk at a bar in Knoxville propositioning an 18 year old freshman ,his behavior was so boorish she finally slapped him. Does that sound familiar. Another time my son was working at Dicks sporting goods in Knoxville and Pearl brought in a bike he wanted fixed. When my son told him it would be 3 days to fix it because of the backlog off bikes to fix ahead of him,his exact quote was " Do you know who I am boy ,one word from me and your fired. I will be back tomorrow and if it isn't fixed it's your ass" believe those stories or not I know they are true. We don't need this guy here.

Now go look at the history of Baylor basketball, he took a program that had been terrible for the longest time and made them relevant and won them a ship. Plus he's had some injuries come tourney time here recently that has definitely hampered his teams. I think you guys are just gonna complain anyways just my opinion. Like obviously he's not gonna be in your S tier but most of the S tier coaches aren't even available or realistic.

I was there in 2012 in ATL when Cal beat him. Please God no Drew.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
Aside from his NC his record is not worthy of the UK job. Remember Kevin Ollie has a NC to his name too!

Could UK do worse than Drew? Yes, but he’s far from a sure thing.

I mean have we seen anything that’s a sure thing that Scott Drew has been hired as UK’s next head coach? We all need to just step back from the ledge and let this play out first before we get ahead of ourselves. Just remember one thing we no longer have John Calipari as a head coach!

Don’t break the bank for this guy. If the big shot hires say no just hire an up and comer and if it doesn’t work fire him after 2 years like Gillispie. Hiring someone like Drew would be another contract albatross commitment like Cal.

* At a program that was wiped out by the ncaa for the coach being part of cover ups and murders. Baylor is probably the most impressive program build, maybe in the history of college basketball / sports in general. He’d likely have two titles today if not for covid.

All of the bad numbers, it’s Baylor basketball in Waco Texas. It’s the good years that would more than likely translate to UK.

And we get to win immediately with him, so we’d probably keep our all time wins. It’s safe, and if we don’t really like it down the road, he’s not going to do terrible so we’d be in a good place.

I think Drew will have a championship somewhere in years 1-5. And he kills it in the portal, he retains players, and recruits elite freshman. He just now beat out Duke and Kentucky for edgecombe, at BAYLOR. He’s a great X’s and O’s guy. I think some of you aren’t thinking about this the right way.

It’s BAYLOR. One of, if not the worst name in college basketball.
well given that Drew does sound like a likely candidate that UK fans may have to reconcile with, this post makes me feel better about him anyways

Don’t break the bank for this guy. If the big shot hires say no just hire an up and comer and if it doesn’t work fire him after 2 years like Gillispie. Hiring someone like Drew would be another contract albatross commitment like Cal.
I think this is exactly why Mitch wants him - he is the safe affordable choice that in 5 years doesn't do anything ; you re-evaluate the coaching landscape. UK will not face a huge buyout and will not have buyers remorse if they bring him in. The fans will support him to the extent that they will get excited about any new coach until they determine he isn't it.

All he really has to do is win at Rupp, don't let other SEC programs eclipse UK like UT, Auburn and Bama did this year and get to the elite 8

as someone said before, essentially be Tubby Smith post 1999

meanwhile, UK returns to having real Senior nights,a good mix of players that stay 3-4 years, and a coach that talks about the program and not the NBA.

I think this is exactly why Mitch wants him - he is the safe affordable choice that in 5 years doesn't do anything ; you re-evaluate the coaching landscape. UK will not face a huge buyout and will not have buyers remorse if they bring him in. The fans will support him to the extent that they will get excited about any new coach until they determine he isn't it.

All he really has to do is win at Rupp, don't let other SEC programs eclipse UK like UT, Auburn and Bama did this year and get to the elite 8

as someone said before, essentially be Tubby Smith post 1999

meanwhile, UK returns to having real Senior nights,a good mix of players that stay 3-4 years, and a coach that talks about the program and not the NBA.
I mean at least it’s an upgrade over the current Cal situation. I just wish it was a more ambitious hire.

There is no denying Drew can coach. The issue is leaving Baylor which has zero scrutiny for UK level of scrutiny. It is on a totally different world. It isn’t just him his family has to deal with that part of the job too. Those are tough family decisions.

If he decides he wants it then he will win but with the SEC getting better and better dominating the league is going to always be difficult.

There is no denying Drew can coach. The issue is leaving Baylor which has zero scrutiny for UK level of scrutiny. It is on a totally different world. It isn’t just him his family has to deal with that part of the job too. Those are tough family decisions.

If he decides he wants it then he will win but with the SEC getting better and better dominating the league is going to always be difficult.
no coach can come to UK with built in excuses or free passes.

I'm not sure of the definition of dominate but if UK can't win the SEC regular season and/or SEC tournament 5 years out of 10, then UK doesn't have the right guy.

That wasn't even in the realm of possibility with Calipari post covid

You left out the fact that for 5 years, Baylor was on the toughest probation ever and as close to the death penalty you can get. They were the worst program in the country. Your guy Cal did all his awesome stuff at UK, a powerhouse with unlimited resources. the vacated wins from Cal at UMass and Memphis mean something don't they?

The cal lovers are stuck in 2011 to 2015. I'm really worried about the 2008 Baylor team.

Drew isn't first but miles ahead of Cal.

Hurley went 8 and 21.

Last edited:
I was there in 2012 in ATL when Cal beat him. Please God no Drew.
Yea, we should never hire a coach who lost in the Elite 8 to the eventual national champ and one of the best college teams of the last 50 years. Smart call there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT