ADVERTISEMENT

Shep

But a Rafters take says he won’t help?

UK_Born_an_Bread said:
I had 1450 posts between 2017 and this year. Compose is 43. Wow - amazing. We should be focused DJ and Dilly. Reed Shephard isn’t helping this team before 2025.

Don’t go head to head with me. You will lose.
We aren’t playing college teams yet. Talk to me when he does it versus Kansas. (SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! He won’t.)

images

Off topic, but I've been hearing this in my head for the last 2 days. Thanx for being understanding.

Dillingham was 9/1 AoT last night. That was another great takeaway.
So you're telling me if you picked a starting lineup right now Dillingham would be starting in front of Sheppard? I hope you're joking.
Dillingham stats - FGA- 5-16,
Steals-0, Reb-5, Assists-10, T/O-1, BS-0
Sheppard stats- FGA- 5-12 , Steals-4, Reb-5, Assists -10, T/O-2, BS-2
Clearly Sheppard has played better so far. He's a lot more ready to play physically too.

Last edited:
I’ve wondered about that. How much is Jeff involved with Reed in terms of coaching or advice. Having been there himself, will Jeff just lay back and let Reeds only influence be the coaching staff ?
I’m pretty sure Jeff and Reed are really close and Stacey is involved as well. I am sure they will be part of the decision making process. Reed is a smart kid, he’s not going to make decision without talking to his parents.

So you're telling me if you picked a starting lineup right now Dillingham would be starting in front of Sheppard? I hope you're joking.

Not sure how you arrived to that based off my post.

But...they don't play the same position. Reed is much more like Wagner, off the ball but CAN play PG. Dillingham is a PG.

I think Cal would prefer Wagner becomes a primary PG because it will be best for this team. I think Cal would like Shep to be what CJ was supposed to be last year.

I also think there is no world in which Wagner and Reeves don't start. So it becomes a question as to do you go small with a third guard? I don't think we will do that unless Wagner isn't the primary PG. If he isn't I think that means Dillingham starts (w DJ/Reeves)....but that likely means you are bringing Tre or Justin off the bench.

I would be surprised to see Reed be a starter but would love it if he was. Just see a more likely path to Rob starting.

JMHO

Reed is ahead of Dillingham right now and he does so many things to affect the game he is going to play a lot of minutes.
I hope that all the positive BB qualities of Reed rubs off on his fellow players. Many positive intangibles that should benefit his teammates as the season progresses. Should be great fun to see. Shep knows HOW the game is played.

I hope that all the positive BB qualities of Reed rubs off on his fellow players. Many positive intangibles that should benefit his teammates as the season progresses. Should be great fun to see. Shep knows HOW the game is played.

That's the best part of having an unselfish, hard-nosed, heady player like Reed Sheppard on your team. Not only does his style of play make the others on the court with him better, it is contagious. And when you can get a whole team playing like that, it can be a lot of fun to watch. I feel the same way about the way Adou plays ... will not back down from anyone.

I agree to disagree. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We just see things a little differently. It's all good and shouldn't have to be dissected every game.

I question why Coach even started Reed against Canada. Did he see what was coming? Or was he looking for a reason to exile him to the end of the bench with the towel boys to shut some fans up?

Either way, we are playing with an incomplete roster and I'm cautiously optimistic that with a loaded roster it will be harder for Cal to mess it up.

Debate over. Now lets roll. GBB
Let's hope Bradshaw comes back in time to start the season, and we don't have another season of injury after injury, causing the lineup and player availability to change from game to game. how many games did we play last year with a full roster, everybody available? Sharpe doesn't count.

This is exactly what I've been thinking. It reminds me of the way Tyler Herro came in, much lower ranked than his classmates but was just solid from day one. I love what Reed does. He is very steady with the ball in his hands. His leaping ability is obviously taking guys by surprise. His defense is just solid and his anticipation is excellent. He's a very smart guy who is a very good athlete. He's going to shoot well- his numbers vs Germany were bad but he shot it well today, which will more than like be closer to the norm. I love the guy. I also thought Edwards showed us yesterday's offensive performance was also an aberration. He's gonna be very good. He reminds me of Michael Kidd Gilchrist with a jumper. He's long, athletic, scrappy, and has a nose for the ball. If he can make shots consistently, the sky is the limit.

Obviously you didn't read all my post on Reed. Just the one I said he wasn't the best defender against Germany. And he wasn't. Tonight, he was. Loved his game tonight. A complete both ends of the floor effort.

While he is athletic, he doesn't appear to have exceptional lateral quickness. It's hard to tell with these games, though, so I could be wrong about that.

If I am right, I shouldn't be a surprise if he struggles a little bit at times getting beat off the dribble. Where he appears to make up for that, though, is great court awareness which makes him a great help defender (steals, deflections, etc).

Reactions: UK67KU59
Reed is good. Very pleased.
Im predicting Reed will break all steal records at UK before he leaves. Kid just has unbelievable instincts and lurks on every pass and off the ball drive looking for the pick. Will have to manage that some as you can get burned and lose your man playing that way but on D he plays the other guys man as much as his looking for the lazy pass or driver not paying attention from behind.

We aren’t playing college teams yet. Talk to me when he does it versus Kansas. (SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! He won’t.)
How stupid...we don't know what any of these guys will do, but we know CCC is loyal to his"chosen" ones. Gotta get in that room on draft night.

I agree to disagree. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We just see things a little differently. It's all good and shouldn't have to be dissected every game.

I question why Coach even started Reed against Canada. Did he see what was coming? Or was he looking for a reason to exile him to the end of the bench with the towel boys to shut some fans up?

Either way, we are playing with an incomplete roster and I'm cautiously optimistic that with a loaded roster it will be harder for Cal to mess it up.

Debate over. Now lets roll. GBB
Agree. If we get rhe Shep from either game and we will be just fine. Just don't do like Herro and play too good. Need him a couple years. Kid flat out balled out yesterday. You know the negs said so and so left , didn't want to play for Cal. Nah. Didn't want to compete against the studs. CJ obviously knew Shep would snatch his minutes. Same for Ware and others, especially Wheeler.

If I remember correctly Jeff was a high school high jump champion so if that is correct then I think I agree Jeff has more spring than reed
I am pretty sure that Jeff had better hops, but his son is close enough for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKrazycat2
I love watching high IQ players that also have talent, I really enjoy watching skills as much as talent. While I don’t trust Cal’s coaching abilities to maximize the talent, I’m excited to see some games with this group. Reed will be one of my favorites on this team I can already tell.

These teams were supposed to be way better than the Bahamas teams we played last year and we are laying waste of them. Sheppard will do just fine when this season starts his basketball IQ is off the charts….

I love watching high IQ players that also have talent, I really enjoy watching skills as much as talent. While I don’t trust Cal’s coaching abilities to maximize the talent, I’m excited to see some games with this group. Reed will be one of my favorites on this team I can already tell.
Yep I’m calling it now Sheppard is my favorite Cat this year….

Could Reed be better than Jeff?
I think he eventually will be. He reminds me a lot of Kyle Macy, but he's a far better athlete in terms of hops, speed and quickness. Reed hit 113 of 127 ft attempts last year in high school for 89%. That happens to be what Macy shot for his career at UK from tye ft line if my memory serves. He has the same basic skill set as Macy; it's almost like having a coach on the floor. I'll reserve final judgment until I seem Reed play against some talented Div 1 teams, but I love what I've seen thus far.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
These teams were supposed to be way better than the Bahamas teams we played last year and we are laying waste of them. Sheppard will do just fine when this season starts his basketball IQ is off the charts….
We were down 7 to Germany right before halftime. And it was a 4-pt game with 90 seconds left. That isn’t “laying waste,” especially where their best player and PG was injured and out with a foot injury. Stop covering up for Cal. This will end like ‘19 or last year with a team fighting for a 5 seed bc they were mismanaged by CCC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT