ADVERTISEMENT

Sharing the road with bicyclists.

From the report:

"Michael Martin said most drivers that day shared the road with the bicyclists, which they are required to do by law. Michael Martin said the group was riding more than 20 mph and it would have been dangerous for them to ride on the island's shared path used by walkers, parents with strollers and slower bicyclists."
I didn't watch the video, but I have one comment. Does he not realize the irony and poor logic of his comment? He thinks it is dangerous for him to share a path with slower moving bikers and walkers when he is riding at 20 mph and they can't keep pace, and yet he is in the same position when riding on a street with cars, and apparently thinks it is very safe. He apparently doesn't realize that by inference, from his own statement, cars traveling at a much greater speed than he is traveling, riding on the same path as him, would be dangerous.

When I delivered for FedEx I encountered a kegel of bikers every Friday on my way home.
mGOUk.gif

MIAU7yf.gif

Here in Ky, a huge win for those trying to rightfully reclaim our roads. Oldham co passed an ordinance that you can't ride more than 3 bikers at a time. Bikers had a big ride on hwy 42, police ticketed all of them.
It's the arrogance of bikers that brought this on, nobody to blame but themselves.

I didn't watch the video, but I have one comment. Does he not realize the irony and poor logic of his comment? He thinks it is dangerous for him to share a path with slower moving bikers and walkers when he is riding at 20 mph and they can't keep pace, and yet he is in the same position when riding on a street with cars, and apparently thinks it is very safe. He apparently doesn't realize that by inference, from his own statement, cars traveling at a much greater speed than he is traveling, riding on the same path as him, would be dangerous.
He doesn't realize the irony because these tour DE France wannabes think the world revolves around their spandex wrapped Lima bean pouch.

Reactions: WonderBraa

Well said. I was living in Monroe MI in the early 80's and there was a shitload of snow on the ground all winter. The joggers decided it was too dangerous to jog on the sidewalks so they claimed the road as their own. Several were run over and the debate raged on tv and papers.

I would rather slip and fall on the sidewalk than slip and fall and get run over in the street. But that's just me. Not smart enough to run for health.

Sanibel island is very small. It's set for slow pace. The speed limit is 25. There are bike rentals all up and down to Captiva. There are shops, bars, tourist stuff.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
No problem with the tickets. I actually hate large group rides. More than 3 and I get uncomfortable. Much more dangerous. If you're riding in large groups you need permits similar to what the events get before putting on rides.

I have no real problem ticketing any cyclist breaking traffic laws. That's the only way to correct the bad behavior as I personally don't see licensing as a feasible task.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Good morning, Paddock road hogs motorists. Hopefully, your commute proved uneventful. Here in AusTex, I have just one red-light runner to report, as well as 2 moronic cagers, who intentionally steered into our protected bike lane so they could avoid a speed bump.

-------------------
Ghost Bike Post

During a cross-country trek through Oklahoma to raise money for affordable housing last week, Patrick Wanninkhof was tragically murdered while riding his bicycle. Bridget Anderson, another cyclist, was also injured in the crash. Wanninkhof, (25), graduated from the University of Florida with an engineering degree and taught at the Fordham High School for the Arts.

The 34 year-old murderess told OK State Troopers she was distracted by her phone when she struck the cyclists.

Drive safe, Paddock motorists. That text or social media post can wait.

Have a great day.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Here in Ky, a huge win for those trying to rightfully reclaim our roads. Oldham co passed an ordinance that you can't ride more than 3 bikers at a time. Bikers had a big ride on hwy 42, police ticketed all of them.
It's the arrogance of bikers that brought this on, nobody to blame but themselves.

I'm thinking you have this confused. There was an Oldham County ordinance passed 2 or 3 years ago that requires rides of more than 50 people to register it as an event. There is also a law state-wide saying that you can't ride more than two abreast. Both of which are completely logical, especially with the traffic and cycling events up there.

But as far as riding with more than two other cyclists being illegal, I'd like to see the article or ordinance on that considering the above mentioned ordinance created a huge uproar from both sides.

Perfect example of the cyclist I hate yesterday on Nicholasville Rd: Riding on the road, comes up to stop light, see that cross walk is showing walk in the direction she's going, takes off up crosswalk and continues on sidewalk.

I like to ride bikes, never to work, but do so to the store for groceries on the weekend. I think bike riding is great - BUT NOT ON FREAKIN' TATES CREEK ROAD WHICH HAS NO BIKE PATHS AT DRIVE TIME!! Lexington just built a great sidewalk on either side you can use (which maybe is against the law, but a hell of a lot safer than on a 45 MPH four lane hwy with no bike paths.

P.S. Anybody ridden on the new bike path through the Arboretum Woods? Why the hell didn't they just put it from the end of Bellefonte, into the parking lot, then right down the beaten path used by football fans and bikers going to and from UK for generations?? The new path is way out of the way for most bikers, don't think it will get a lot of use.

They have begun construction in Cincy on a trail that will connect the Beechmont Ave. area trail to the current south end of the Loveland Bike trail in Newtown.

There is only 3.2 miles that needs to be completed. It is scheduled to be done next spring.

The next step is building a bridge across the Little Miami near Lunken and connecting the Lunken trail. Then you will pretty much be able to ride from downtown Cincinnati to downtown Dayton without mucking up traffic on roads and highways at all. [thumb2]

They have begun construction in Cincy on a trail that will connect the Beechmont Ave. area trail to the current south end of the Loveland Bike trail in Newtown.

There is only 3.2 miles that needs to be completed. It is scheduled to be done next spring.

The next step is building a bridge across the Little Miami near Lunken and connecting the Lunken trail. Then you will pretty much be able to ride from downtown Cincinnati to downtown Dayton without mucking up traffic on roads and highways at all. [thumb2]
Looking forward to that being completed, and the possible Wasson Way Path. I will have a nice way to the good cycling roads around Indian Hill & Loveland from my NKY house.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT