ADVERTISEMENT

Sharing the road with bicyclists.

I think what a lot of hard core cyclists, you know the folks who have been around long enough to have actually defended Lance Armstrong, forget is that cycling has become a fitness fad in this country the last few years. And with every fitness fad, comes weekend warriors who have no damned idea what they're doing. If cycling weren't growing like it has recently, we wouldn't be having this thread every few months. The reality is that it is an issue that needs to be addressed. Having someone sit through a two hour safety video or pass a written test based upon the actual laws governing the activity for their own benefit is not unreasonable. It's also not unreasonable to say hey this 15 mile stretch of heavily traveled road, despite the fact that it goes through some gorgeous parts of the state, is unsafe for cyclists and therefore you can't go there on your bike. It's pretty common sense stuff.

Whenever I'm given the choice for more or less government regulation, I'm going for less every time.

So am I. Normally. The problem is that any effeminate douchebag who has a pair of neon spandex, a bike, and an elitist attitude, can ride in traffic, disobey the rules, create a safety hazard, and disrupt traffic.

A license would at least provide some training requirements so they know the rules and help impart some responsibility, just as required by everyone else who uses the road. It's no wonder these assholes think they're above the law.

I'd love to bike to work if there were lanes available so it was safe. As is, I would be causing a hazard and selfishly disrupting everyone's commute.

Most. BULLSHIT.

Like most things a few idiots give the pack a bad name.

Cyclist are like 800th on the list causing issues on the roads and are hardly a threat to public safety. The reason you all get pissed is because you have to slow down for like 5 seconds to go around them. TS.

Threat to public safety[roll]... loser.

Meh, you're only trying to paint bikers in a favorable light. With all the hoopla about bike and motorcycle safety I've started watching their habits that I normally didn't pay much attention to. Neither think they have to stop at an intersection, or signal when they turn. Not smart habits for a person in a vulnerable position. Too many wear dark colors making them hard to see IMO as well.

Whether your group follows any kind of common sense or not in my area it is extremely rare to see cyclist observe any form of basic road laws. I assume most share your "we can do no wrong, you fat redneck elitist attitude as well" Good luck and stay safe.

3400 miles is a healthy year for an avid cyclist. I'd think your average person on a bike is lucky to cover 1000.
These aren't just hobbyist, "avid cyclists," who've sworn off ellipticals as being for dolts. They are commuters.

As a commute, it's not bad. 4 miles / 25 minutes each way per day. I don't see cyclists shying away from that. And that number goes down with weekend "joyrides" factored in.

Don't care for them on the road. Really don't like when they won't get over to the right to make it easier to pass. You got a bike path, stay on it

3400 miles is a healthy year for an avid cyclist. I'd think your average person on a bike is lucky to cover 1000.
I'm right around 2,200 mi/yearly. Some years more, others less.

I only own one jersey, but never wear it. For me, personally, cycling is a transportation method which includes residual health benefits. Plus, the folding bike angle adds a nerdy aspect, and also provides a great conversation starter with strangers.

On a Facebook group I frequent (Social Cycling - Austin), we're currently engaged in a spirited debate about riding on North Lamar near where I reside. I refuse to ride the street because it is so busy and lacks bike lanes. If I must ride North Lamar, for errands etc., then I take the side walk. Heh, replies such as, "if you let the car drivers intimidate you, then they've won!" came back.

Oh, good grief. It borders on bizarre communications with third-world countries when attempting any rational discourse with the anti-cyclist crowd. I'm too f'd up right now to argue. When gasoline prices climb again to $4/gal, your tribe still remains incorrect. You own a car, not the road.

Outside of riding for exercise on back country roads, you have to be borderline insane to ride a bicycle in Texas. Everything you can ride to is off the service road of an interstate. I saw an accident as it occurred last week in Houston off one of these service roads. Let's just say if the driver who ran the light hit a bicyclist instead of broadsiding a Caprice Classic like he did, they'd still be looking for pieces of the bicyclist.

I think there needs to be some rules. First if you ride a bike on a road you need to be licensed to do so. Next the bike should have required equipment like a motorcycle that means good quality rear view mirrors and lights front and back. Third you should be required to pull over and let traffic by if there is a motor vehicle behind you for more than 30 seconds, or immediately if there are two or more motor vehicles. Fourth you should be required to stay within 3 feet of the curb at all times unless it's an emergency.

Outside of riding for exercise on back country roads, you have to be borderline insane to ride a bicycle in Texas. Everything you can ride to is off the service road of an interstate. I saw an accident as it occurred last week in Houston off one of these service roads. Let's just say if the driver who ran the light hit a bicyclist instead of broadsiding a Caprice Classic like he did, they'd still be looking for pieces of the bicyclist.
Wayne, Texas service roads are really dangerous in and around the cities. Couple years ago, one of our leading area cycling advocates was killed by a driver changing lanes on a service road. Unless necessary, I avoid 'em at all costs.

When I ride SE KY or East TN, I always recon my route beforehand. Road shoulders and rumble strips are golden territory.

Reactions: WayneDougan
Accepting, I guess never thought about it.

I don't think there should be any rules/licensing/regulations though beyond common sense and right of way. I'd never bike around as means of exercise or getting to work because there are too many idiots on the road, teenaged girls texting and taking selfies while driving and potential road ragers where'd you end up at a few ton disadvantage.

reverse-1319650684_monkey_riding_a_bike.gif

post-32925-rowing-machine-bike-gif-they-s-SvhX.gif

I've seen the people that should upset you on occasion. But it's very rare. I see 2 or 3 bikers on my normal commute and they always use the bike lanes. Considering I'm also a driver of a motor vehicle and put 21k miles on my truck last year and maybe encountered a handful of cyclist on the road that I had yield for seconds to allow safe passing. Also of the 3 most recent cycling deaths 2 involved drunk drivers.

I don't believe that anyone in this thread experiences this enough to actually frustrate them more than having to slow down for a few seconds and then pass. Most of the lance Armstrong crowd is not the same as the work commute crowd.

You shouldn't need a license to ride a bike. Stop being ridiculous. I've rode a bike on public streets since I was 7 years old.

Ticket the idiots when they run lights and promote bike safety with the fine. I'm all for that.

I cant think of one damn contribution to society the bicycle has made. Just another way a small group of people can piss me off.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
Can we merge the bikers/hipsters/people who don't like cheese on their chicken sandwiches threads?

Chuckling at people in / around Lexington arguing the gas tax pays for the roads. If you work in Lexington, regardless of where you live, you pay a nice little road tax that comes out of your paycheck for using the city infrastructure, whether you bike, walk, or drive to work.

I don't bike, just not something I enjoy, but I live in an area of town that the cyclist love and see them riding on the main road in the neighborhood all the time. Never have had an issue other than there is one moron that lives here in the neighborhood that had ZERO reflective gear on his bike and likes to ride at night. I'm just waiting for someone to hit him and frankly, he gets what he gets.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
I love cycling and bikes so I might be a little biased. I drive to and from work along a somewhat popular cycling roads in NKY. I might have to slow down for a few seconds occasionally. If you can't get around a bike, your probably not a good driver.
I get stuck behind slow, diesel due-lie pickups, busses, soccer mom SUVans, a lot more than a skinny dude on a bike that is easy to pass.

Meh, you're only trying to paint bikers in a favorable light. With all the hoopla about bike and motorcycle safety I've started watching their habits that I normally didn't pay much attention to. Neither think they have to stop at an intersection, or signal when they turn. Not smart habits for a person in a vulnerable position. Too many wear dark colors making them hard to see IMO as well.

Whether your group follows any kind of common sense or not in my area it is extremely rare to see cyclist observe any form of basic road laws. I assume most share your "we can do no wrong, you fat redneck elitist attitude as well" Good luck and stay safe.

I have never seen a motorcycle not stop at an intersection or disobey traffic laws. You must be thinking about those little scooters. As for not signaling their turns, that applies to about 75% of the cars and trucks I see on the road.

Chuckling at people in / around Lexington arguing the gas tax pays for the roads.
Chuckling at people who only cite their paycheck as rule of law.

KRS 177.320- county road aid

Jefferson, Fayette and probably 2/3 more counties charge a road tax as well, but out of the 120 counties , all receive funding for roads.

I didn't say your paycheck was the only source, but everyone screaming that the gas tax is the only thing that funds roads in Lexington is ignorant. In addition, KY gets plenty of federal money pumped in for roads as well. There's a reason we have nicer roads than many of the states surrounding us.

The cyclists aren't hurting anyone. Yes, there are those idiots like the one I mentioned who rides in the dark with no kind of illumination / reflection and there are those who take curves too wide, just like there are drives who drive too fast, drive without headlights, or those that text and drive. I see far more of the latter than I do of badly behaved cyclist. Motorists are a far bigger danger to cyclists than cyclists are to motorists, plus all of the other crap they have to deal with like debris in the road, Cujo flying off the front porch to chase them, etc, that motorists really don't have to concern themselves with or as much.

I didn't say your paycheck was the only source, but everyone screaming that the gas tax is the only thing that funds roads in Lexington is ignorant. In addition, KY gets plenty of federal money pumped in for roads as well. There's a reason we have nicer roads than many of the states surrounding us.

The cyclists aren't hurting anyone. Yes, there are those idiots like the one I mentioned who rides in the dark with no kind of illumination / reflection and there are those who take curves too wide, just like there are drives who drive too fast, drive without headlights, or those that text and drive. I see far more of the latter than I do of badly behaved cyclist. Motorists are a far bigger danger to cyclists than cyclists are to motorists, plus all of the other crap they have to deal with like debris in the road, Cujo flying off the front porch to chase them, etc, that motorists really don't have to concern themselves with or as much.
Where did anyone mention Lexington specifically in regards to road tax? I'm pro biker and don't have a dog in this fight.

Your assessment of road funding is very off though. FHA has been cutting funds, and is generally reserved for certain projects, not road repair. Our county road fund took a huge hit this year, and we had to pass legislation to keep the hemorrhaging down. This is the main source of road funding. Fayette and Jefferson, maybe Davies or Warren county might have extra taxes, but their populations can support it. We actually have a huge shortfall this year in road funding.

No one called out Lexington specifically, however, the broad statement was made that cyclists use the roads but don't pay taxes to maintain them because roads are funded through the gas tax, implying that they are only funded through the gas tax which simply is not true. It doesn't apply in every county, but it does apply to a lot of folks bellyaching in this thread. If you work in Fayette Co., regardless of how you get here, you are paying a tax for using the infrastructure outside of the gas tax. In addition, I would venture to guess that most cyclists own cars as well. All the ones I know do.

As far as my comments on highway funding, my family until just recently, owned one of the largest highway construction companies in the state of KY, so I think I have some insight to the process, bidding, funding, etc.

My uncle is a karate master, it doesn't mean I know karate.

Others made a comment about county road tax, which seemed like you had almost no knowledge. Then your implication of federal dollars, you should know are primarily for federal projects, I.e. Highways, not state roads or county roads and there is a lack of funding.

You are the only one who mentioned lex, which literally , one of the only places besides Lou which has funding for roads, and that is city roads. So the majority of state , funds for roads come from gas tax.

How much overall environmental damage does your cage (read: auto) incur? I'll hang up and listen. And, oh, by the way, me and my old lady, with our sole vehicle, which travels less than 6K/yearly, incurs far less damage to the environment than your selfish cage. Please, carry on.

What does any of that have to do with who pays for them? My point is that bicycylist contribute nothing to roads. Automobiles pay for their existence and their maintenance. So yeah, they kind of do own them.

Chuckling at people in / around Lexington arguing the gas tax pays for the roads. If you work in Lexington, regardless of where you live, you pay a nice little road tax that comes out of your paycheck for using the city infrastructure, whether you bike, walk, or drive to work.

Well keep chuckling pumpkin, because that's what pays for roads......PERIOD. Secondly, I didn't see anyone from Lex mention it, who from Lex mentioned it?
Thirdly, I've never heard of a city having a road tax, can you give me a link on Lexington's road tax? Not saying they don't have one, just wanted to see some proof. And IF they do, its not a fraction of what lex gets for roads via the Road Fund, which is state gas tax.
Still chuckling?

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
Care a lot less about bikers now that I'm in FL so it's flat and pretty easy to get around them. They also ride sidewalks everywhere, even with a bike lane on the road. Don't blame them because there are some ungodly aggressive hicks down here and this coming from an angry Atlanta driver.

I don't mind the occasional biker, but within reason.
-they must obey traffic laws and not blow throw intersections, etc
-they must use hand signals to let me know their intentions.....most often they just make kamikaze turns right in front of traffic
-they are allowed about 18" of roadway on the outside.......not their own lane
-I have a big problem what roads they choose. Kentucky is covered with beautiful scenic roads. Why on earth do you have to choose the roads with the highest traffic.......like OLD RICHMOND ROAD! Purposely choosing these roads places you and everyone else on the road at risk.

I don't mind the occasional biker, but within reason.
-they must obey traffic laws and not blow throw intersections, etc
-they must use hand signals to let me know their intentions.....most often they just make kamikaze turns right in front of traffic

I will admit this, I've punched it at a few of them that ran a red light turning at an intersection I'm going through. If I'm going to drag one of those pretentious dorks under my truck, it's going to because they broke the law and I couldn't stop.

Old Richmond is the link to North Cleveland. It's not an ideal road but only that one section should have cyclist. I refuse to ride Delong for the most part and try to avoid OR. I've been out there but it's not comfortable. Cars are moving too fast with no shoulder.

Same with River Rd in Louisville. I HATE that road. Can't believe people actually ride it. OFP is another one. That's just asking to die. Plenty of country roads out there stay away from the busy ones.

Pretty hard to live in Ky without a vehicle so we're all paying for the roads. Thanks for a pointless conversation.

ADVERTISEMENT