ADVERTISEMENT

Sharing the road with bicyclists.

Robcatt24

♩♪♫♬♭♮♯°ø؂≠≭
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2005
Are you accepting of the fact they have the same right to the road as motor vehicles?

this topic went on for, like, 9 pages last time.

No. They belong on the sidewalk with strollers, joggers, and dog leashes. Bonus points for any other hobbies that irritate the hell out of bikers.

Only the overweight 40-year-olds wearing the Yellow spandex US Postal Team 'Lance Armstrong' model jerseys. They clearly deserve to slow me down to 13 miles an hour on narrow country roads as they prepare to represent our country in epic duels with the Euro-trash. Everyone else, no.

Ky is populated by people who hate cyclists but have golf carts and load them up with their grandmorons to putter down the road at half the speed, three times the width, and infinitely more stupidity. Yeah, that orange flag is sure going to keep the tractor trailers away. I don't even ride a bike and don't get upset by anyone who does.

I don't have any problem with the bikers on the road. They're kind of like moving orange barrels. You're aware of them being there, but you don't really pay much attention.

Reactions: WayneDougan
e10c3006b6a3d5a085f137ad002a7251e1cece09abfc441f64b3ba818b6b225f.jpg

Oh, good grief. It borders on bizarre communications with third-world countries when attempting any rational discourse with the anti-cyclist crowd. I'm too f'd up right now to argue. When gasoline prices climb again to $4/gal, your tribe still remains incorrect. You own a car, not the road.

Hey Rob, tell him about the property tax we pay each year for the privilege of owning a vehicle. License and registration fees. I suppose tolls should be added in as well.

Some people provide. Some people require.

A road paid for by gasoline taxes. How much gas you use in that huffy bub?

How much overall environmental damage does your cage (read: auto) incur? I'll hang up and listen. And, oh, by the way, me and my old lady, with our sole vehicle, which travels less than 6K/yearly, incurs far less damage to the environment than your selfish cage. Please, carry on.

...and your taxes will continue to fund bike lanes on all renovated roads, bring new bike paths, and bring more cycling events to your cities. True story. It's continuing to grow.

So you can be fat rednecks and hate on it or you can chill and share the road.

Cyclist, you're responsible to follow the same rules add a car. Do it or you're going to die.

How much overall environmental damage does your cage (read: auto) incur? I'll hang up and listen. And, oh, by the way, me and my old lady, with our sole vehicle, which travels less than 6K/yearly, incurs far less damage to the environment than your selfish cage. Please, carry on.

Yay, that's great. Do you put solar panels and wind turbines in your neighbors yards and brag about how green you are for that too?

Yes! Most green and responsible. We believe in sharing thoroughfares within legal limits. But what about you and your roadhog tribe? I'll hang up and listen.

I'm missing the "sharing" part. If you put a solar panel in my yard to generate your energy, I'd expect you to at least help pay my property tax and expenses.

I'd probably be ok with cyclists if they were in bike lanes, followed the rules, payed their share, and had some kind of license to prove they knew the rules and were qualified.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
Cyclists are a problem. Anyone can go out, purchase a bike and head out to the road and ride. You can't do that with a car or motorcycle. There needs to be legislation in place that requires cyclists to pass a basic written test regarding the rules of the road and complete a safety course. In addition, not every road in this state is safe for cycling. If you're on a curvy, hilly two lane road with no shoulders, you're a hazard. Roads need to be designated for cycling. Cycling should be prohibited on certain roads that are deemed unsafe or too hazardous.

For example, I live in Scott County and I have encountered cyclists on Highway 460 between Paris and Georgetown. This is a two lane curvy highway with no shoulders and heavy commercial traffic. Commercial traffic travels regularly between the satellite plants for Toyota in Paris and Toyota itself. It's basically just a matter of time before some cyclist becomes a greasy spot on that road. More rural trails and bike lanes would help alleviate this problem. The Legacy Trail Extension would be a great way to move some of these folks to a safer location.

Even moderately traveled country roads are far safer for cyclist and it's not close.

Although I dont think licensing should be required to ride a bike I do think more bike lanes and trails will help. They are coming. The Louisville loop, legacy trail, Loveland trail, rails to trails. The green lanes in Lex are showing up everywhere. These multipurpose talks are great for cities. Katy trail and Loveland trail are great examples. Soon the legacy trail will go right by West 6th and right into town then stretch all the way to Georgetown.

A majority of all cyclist traffic follows designated roads or marked roads. Several resources to find this info. Most, not all, cyclist look for common routes, lightly traveled roads and areas cars will be expecting bikes. Mapmyride.com had info on all marked, bike trails, shared use, bike lanes.

Just have to understand lightly traveled roads equals 2 lane country roads.

If you're in lex then expect us on Ironworks, Lemons Mill, Carrick, North Cleveland, Old Richmond. All those roads are marked. I dont like the yarnelton, Frankfort pike runs. Too much traffic.

Dumb cagers,

Obviously, America's road network is a sleeping giant waiting for the cycling commuter revolution to take hold.

Taking the average American's commute and cycling pace into account, while living a mere 15 miles away from work it will only take them an hour an thirty minutes to get to work in the morning (and another 20 minutes to shower at work if they like).

At quitting time they'll only have to cycle for another hour an a half. (With some of this cycling time being spent in the dark.) And without cars, they'll get to buy super fresh groceries every few days since they can only carry them by basket.

I can't wait!

Same here. As they are most are reckless and pose a threat to public safety as well as their own.
Most. BULLSHIT.

Like most things a few idiots give the pack a bad name.

Cyclist are like 800th on the list causing issues on the roads and are hardly a threat to public safety. The reason you all get pissed is because you have to slow down for like 5 seconds to go around them. TS.

Threat to public safety[roll]... loser.

I don't have a problem with bicycles on the road per se. The problem I have is so many cyclists have this "elitist attitude" that they can do whatever they want while riding their bike.

I was just joking. I don't have a problem with bikers. I really don't encounter that many, and the ones that I do always stay to the right. When it's safe I pass, just like I do a car.

A much bigger problem for me is tractors. Bastards could just pull over and ride the emergency lane for a few seconds and let everyone go by. Nope.

I think that licensing bicycles, or tractors, is ridiculous. Whenever I'm given the choice for more or less government regulation, I'm going for less every time.

I don't have a problem with bicycles on the road per se. The problem I have is so many cyclists have this "elitist attitude" that they can do whatever they want while riding their bike.
Many of us cyclists are working to change the elitists amongst us, Chuck. At least here in Austin.

For me, cycling = a pragmatic approach for transiting between points A and B. Now, if you will excuse me, I'm riding my Dahon to the beer store before it heats up too much. I'll carry the beer in a 1960s-era Swiss army surplus backpack gifted 10 years ago by a former colleague.

Ta Taa!

Reactions: anthonys735

This. If youre on a bike, you should be the one looking out for me; not the other way around. By looking out, I mean exercising extreme caution; rather than just doing whatever you feel like, obeying no traffic laws, and riding in an entirely reckless manner.

There are 128,300,000 commuters in the US.

112,762,870 are Drivers (or passengers), which travel an average of 13,476 mi/year.
.......487,540 are Cyclists, which travel an average of .............................3,417 mi/year.

Drivers cover 1,519,592,436,120 miles per year.
Cyclists cover .......1,665,924,180 miles per year.

Drivers crash and die at a rate of 26,678 per year.
Cyclists crash and die at a rate of...3,417 per year.

1 Driver dies per 56,960,508 miles of travel.
1 Cyclist dies per......337,916 miles of travel.

Per mile, Cyclists are 168x more likely to die than drivers.

Reactions: drawing_dead
ADVERTISEMENT