ADVERTISEMENT

Sharing the road with bicyclists.

If you have problems with bikers then you should probably start practicing a less aggressive driving style. Wave of the future, imo.
The only problem I have is that they want to obey the traffic laws only when it's convenient for them. Like the idiot with the belt with a 15" diamond shaped reflector on it that stopped behind me on Friday then passed me and 4 other cars to go thru a red light. Same dude probably loses his shit if I don't acknowledge him as an automobile at a stop sign and not wait an extra 25 seconds for his bizarre as to go thru the intersection.

And this is 90% of bikers.

20 something shirtless guy wearing a UofL hat on a kids dirt bike weaving in and out of traffic while smoking a cigarette. You cant make that crap up!

When I delivered for FedEx I encountered a kegel of bikers every Friday on my way home. Because I saw how obnoxious other drivers were toward that group of bikers, I wound up acting as a papa bear for that group, protecting them, weaving in and out of traffic on Bryan station road to protect them from the other drivers who were obviously only looking out for themselves.
It was eye-opening and good for all involved. Although I don't get into riding bicycles with tight shorts, I like to think that I and my box truck saved a good three or four lives that summer.
At the end of one work week, the bicyclists gathered at sportsman's parking lot to give me a sports unlimited trophy for bravery. I have it to this day.

I don't pay much attention. I usually focus on the things on the road that have a higher percentage of getting me killed, other types of vehicles. I've never once been in a danger from a crazy driving cyclist.

Reactions: anthonys735
I'm glad you brought that up domino, if we can't win the war of keeping the bikers off the roads....can we at least make them wear something besides adult leotards?

The cycling community has some of the nicest people I've ever met. Same with runners. They're all a little weird but really nice people. Again in the last 5 years while driving around a college campus, where you would think it would be the absolute worst, I've seen less than a handful of negative incidents. I notice cyclist because I am one.

I think everyone knows you want them to know you are a cyclist Anth. Take a break bud.

The "few idiots" argument is a non-starter. The "few idiots" are exactly why we have a lot of our laws and regulations in the first place. I've never met a murderer and statistically it's only a "few idiots" who commit murder, but we have to account for those "few idiots" with homicide statutes. Now that's obviously the most extreme example and I am in no way trying to say that irresponsible cyclists are as bad as murderers. I am just trying to expose the fallacy of the "few idiots" argument.

I really do not get the vehement opposition by all cyclists to some minor regulations designed largely to protect the health and well-being of cyclists. If you have the free time and resources to spend hours biking around on highways and secondary roads on an expensive bike, then you have the time and resources to sit your ass in front of a computer for 2-4 hours or show up at a local conference room for 2-4 hours one Saturday of your life to participate in a safety and training course. Afterwards take a 25-50 question multiple choice exam, score a minimum amount and be presented with a card to keep in your wallet certifying that you have passed the safety course. A nominal fee of $10-20 could be used toward road improvements designed to benefit cyclists.

Same thing with road restrictions. The idea that certain roads and/or stretches of roads would be off limits to cyclists would be to protect the "few idiots" who do not understand how unsafe a certain area is for them. Plus I do not think it's just the dumbasses who would benefit from this, but also cyclists who are not local and unfamiliar with the area. They may not have any idea that there are no shoulders on a certain highway once you leave the city limits and that there are about 50 semi trucks passing through it in a typical work day.

Lovely morning, environmentally hostile cage operators.

This morning, I survived another 5.1 mile cycle commute through Austin's mean streets, largely due to my own vigilance. No swerving by you or your inattentive tribe into my bike lane was observed during the journey. And no red-light runners, unlike last week when sheer instinct prevented what could have been my potential demise.

Hopefully those mandatory Facebook postings or text messages you must send while operating your cage are not too distracting.

Until this afternoon. Have a safe, productive day!

According to the League of American Bicyclists, anti-cycling sentiment in KY is expected. The state ranks #49 out of 50 states, barely in front of Alabama.

KYbike.jpg

Looks like garmin is addressing the issues. 40% of cycling fatalities are from being hit from behind. So they developed a radar that syncs with your computer. Really cool.

Alerts You to Vehicles Approaching from Behind
  • World's first cycling radar that warns of vehicles approaching from behind up to 153 yards (140 meters)
  • Works independently and wirelessly integrates with compatible Edge® cycling computers¹
  • Edge computer or Varia head unit can detect multiple vehicles and indicates the relative speed of approach and threat level
  • Tail light unit brightens and flashes to notify approaching traffic of a cyclist ahead

What does any of that have to do with who pays for them? My point is that bicycylist contribute nothing to roads. Automobiles pay for their existence and their maintenance. So yeah, they kind of do own them.
So since I drive about 25,000 miles per year you're saying that I own the road. Since I own the road then you should have no problem with me cycling on it when I damn well please.
As why many cyclists don't like bike lanes...it's because that's where all the shit in the road usually ends up. Broken glass, gravel and other hazards to cycling often litters bike lanes causing flats and ruining tires. Bike tires, good ones are not cheap.
If you're riding a fat tire bike you've got a little more rubber between you and the road. Otherwise we're talking about 1/8 inch...less on the sidewalls.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Lovely morning, environmentally hostile cage operators.

This morning, I survived another 5.1 mile cycle commute through Austin's mean streets, largely due to my own vigilance. No swerving by you or your inattentive tribe into my bike lane was observed during the journey. And no red-light runners, unlike last week when sheer instinct prevented what could have been my potential demise.

Hopefully those mandatory Facebook postings or text messages you must send while operating your cage are not too distracting.

Until this afternoon. Have a safe, productive day!
Christ, you're a miserable bitch. I hope some environmentally hostile cage operator runs your ass down one of these days.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
Happy Hump Day, dear Paddock anti-cycling zealots motorists! Hopefully your commute went well, and the 5-10 second delay you experienced behind some cyclist caused no ill-effects to your health. We wouldn't want you needlessly stressing out now, would we? My bike commute again was thankfully uneventful. No swerving by distracted motorists into the bike lane occurred this morning.

Speaking of blowing gaskets, along with potential road rage possibilities, please check out this report and video of a driver -- a medical doctor, of all people -- recently utilizing his vehicle as a weapon against peaceful, law-abiding cyclists on bike-friendly Sanibel Island, FL. Shocking, to say the least. What was the good doctor thinking?

At any rate, dear motorists, thank you for your generous contributions to climate change and have a nice, productive day.

Ciao.

Reactions: UKGrad93 and fuzz77
I have ridden a motorcycle over most of the US, but gave it up because of so many drug infested drivers and those using their cellphones. I can't imagine getting out on the road on a bicycle, but for those that do, I don't have a problem with it.

I ride in the morning for exercise. I probably ride 8 miles on the road with the rest on paths. I try to beat the traffic.

If there are cars around, I stop at stop signs. If I can see the intersection and no cars are around - I don't stop. If I come to a red light and see no cars I don't stop; otherwise I stop and wait for it to be clear (not for a green light).

If there are cars around, I will signal but not otherwise.

Sorry to hear this.
I will pray harder tonight in hopes of better outcome tomorrow.
Guess who survived another day? Na na-na na na! Love it, doncha? Ha! I must give my resident fan club here credit. You guys and gals are devoted.
---------------------------
Good morning, dear Paddock cyclist haters. How goes? I have just one red-light runner to report this AM on my end. Not bad, not bad. How about you?

Another Ghost Bike story. Please find one such example below in memory of the late Ben Fields, 37, a New Orleans resident who was savagely slaughtered earlier this month by a hit-and-run driver. RIP, brother.

lead_news-1.jpg

Reaction from an area cyclist: "We wear helmets, we put on lights, we put on protective clothing, and you keep killing us".

In this case, however, the killer has been arrested and will hopefully be brought to justice.

Safe travels, Paddock motorists.

Ta ta!

Reactions: UKGrad93
Always been courteous and mindful of cyclists considering I tried it myself once upon a time and a few of my close friends are active in it.

AustinTX, however, has made me reconsider my stance. Obnoxious People like you are 90% of the reason people hate cyclists, bub.

You are doing very poor job of representing your 'sport' and community.

Keep riding Austin and stay safe. I am going today to get a bike, but I'll just ride in the neighborhood and other off road venues.

Always been courteous and mindful of cyclists considering I tried it myself once upon a time and a few of my close friends are active in it.

AustinTX, however, has made me reconsider my stance. Obnoxious People like you are 90% of the reason people hate cyclists, bub.

You are doing very poor job of representing your 'sport' and community.
Nothing obnoxious when conveying the truth. If my subtle jabs raise awareness regarding road-sharing and manage to save one life, then mission accomplished.

Nevertheless, thanks for playing, Señor.

In very low traffic neighborhoods I yield at stop signs. I stop at all lights. If I get skipped at a red light or it won't change because the sensor doesn't pick up a cyclist then I will wait until it's safe to roll on.
Yep, same here. I'm also a law-abiding cyclist, and fully subscribe to the notion of road-sharing as mandated by law.

Happy Friday, dear Paddock anti-cyclists. How goes this fine morning? I again survived my commute by bike and report just two red-light running cars during this journey.

Two weeks ago, yet another road-rage incident affected a local bicyclist. It appears a medical professional (dentist) was recently charged with felony failure to render aid after slamming on his brakes immediately in front of a peaceful, law-abiding rider causing injury.

Man, what is wrong with certain medical professionals these days? Isn't the intent to protect life rather than threaten it?

Have a great weekend, dear motorists, and please control your temper. Safe travels, my cycling brothers and sisters.

So long!

Our British cycling brethren across the ocean also experience their fair share of road rage directed against them. However, as we can see in this video at the end, karma, baby.

Man, WTF is up with some of these drivers? Oh, and I so love the rear-mounted camera.

** WARNING: Video contains numerous obscenities/profanities shouted by the driver at the law-abiding cyclist, who maintained both his bearing and integrity throughout this incident. **

Reactions: anthonys735
Happy Hump Day, dear Paddock anti-cycling zealots motorists! Hopefully your commute went well, and the 5-10 second delay you experienced behind some cyclist caused no ill-effects to your health. We wouldn't want you needlessly stressing out now, would we? My bike commute again was thankfully uneventful. No swerving by distracted motorists into the bike lane occurred this morning.

Speaking of blowing gaskets, along with potential road rage possibilities, please check out this report and video of a driver -- a medical doctor, of all people -- recently utilizing his vehicle as a weapon against peaceful, law-abiding cyclists on bike-friendly Sanibel Island, FL. Shocking, to say the least. What was the good doctor thinking?

At any rate, dear motorists, thank you for your generous contributions to climate change and have a nice, productive day.

Ciao.
I'm not going to defend the despicable actions of the motorist.

That being said, that video clearly shows an approximately 6' wide asphalt paved path perfect (and designed for) bike use. Why are cyclists insistent on making things more dangerous for everyone involved when there is an access in place specifically for their use?

http://sanibeltrails.com/westgulf.aspx

I'm not going to defend the despicable actions of the motorist.

That being said, that video clearly shows an approximately 6' wide asphalt paved path perfect (and designed for) bike use. Why are cyclists insistent on making things more dangerous for everyone involved when there is an access in place specifically for their use?

http://sanibeltrails.com/westgulf.aspx
From the report:

"Michael Martin said most drivers that day shared the road with the bicyclists, which they are required to do by law. Michael Martin said the group was riding more than 20 mph and it would have been dangerous for them to ride on the island's shared path used by walkers, parents with strollers and slower bicyclists."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT