ADVERTISEMENT

Shaedon Sharpe TIMELINE

I find it, odd, or maybe, ah ha!, that the same guys that went on and on for years about “next year” and “incoming recruiting classes” are now telling everyone to “SLOW DOWN” and “enjoy the season” because ya know, gotta do whatever it takes to make any situation look best for Calipari.

Many of us have been saving “how about THIS YEAR for a decade now, only to be told RECRUITING CLASSES. Next year is the year!! We’ve been conditioned by the Cal Cult to look to next season since this entire era started. But now? lol.

I am enjoying this year and took crow for how I figured this team wouldn’t be able to compete at this level. But some people are incapable of seeing the Forrest through the trees.
A decade? 2012, 2014, 2015, 2017 didn't happen? Some seasons are successful without cutting nets down at the end

Sept 7 - Sharpe commits to UK
LINK

Nov 9 - Sharpe announces he will enroll at UK in January
LINK

Nov 18 - Calipari states that Sharpe unlikely to play "I don't think so...we'll see."
LINK

Article also stated Sharpe's mentor Dwayne Washington said there was no chance Sharpe would play this season -
LINK

Jan 6 - Sharpe enrolls at UK and begins practices
LINK

Jan 7 - Calipari admits hiding his plan of Sharpe not playing from the public to keep the buzz going

“He’s a ways away from playing games,” Calipari said. “It may be a year from now. They all know. I talked to them. We don’t have a plan for him to play this year. Maybe he does, but that is not the plan and never has been. Now I never said it because I wanted everybody to go crazy, all the other places. But the reality of it is we’ve never had a plan. If you ask me right now, my guess is he won’t play. But you don’t know what happens. We’ve had injury after injury, this happened, that happened, we’re down to 6, 7 guys. I may tell him ‘look, man, you’ve gotta go in 7 minutes a game. You’ve gotta play some.’ But my hope is we’re never there.”
LINK

Jan 20 - Calipari teases Sharpe will play "if he's ready."

“He’s watching,” Calipari added. “Whether I play him or not this year, if he’s ready to be in games, I’ll put him in. He’s a great kid, and he’s doing well. And he’s going to make practices even better. He’s only been here two weeks. But, at the end of the day, you know I’m going to be for kids. That’s how I do this.”

It falls in line with what the UK head coach said about Sharpe last week, praising the five-star guard’s skill and shot-making ability, but adding that he’s still adjusting to the speed and pace of the college game.

“If he’s not ready to play, I would not put him out there,” Calipari said last week. “… You can’t do that to the kid — unless he’s ready. If he’s ready, I say let’s go.
LINK

Jan 20 - ESPN reports Sharpe eligible for 2022 draft
LINK

Jan 22 - Dwayne Washington (Sharpe's mentor) says the NBA KNEW that Sharpe was eligible for the 2022 draft BEFORE he came to school, but he did not tell Calipari. But he also said he told Calipari that Sharpe would be back next year.

“It’s pretty idiotic. Everybody knew that this was an option, but we’re not taking it,” Washington told KSR. “He lost millions coming to school. He came to get better. … You come to get ready if you want to go to the NBA, which is one of the goals. You have to be ready. People don’t respect Calipari’s ability to develop enough, that’s why (Shaedon’s) there.

“He’s not there to sit on the bench and wave at fans. He’s coming back next year. If he doesn’t play this year, he’s coming back next year.”

“This is not new news to us. We knew about this before he came to school,” Washington told KSR. “This news is not news to anybody in the NBA. … People just found out, but NBA people already knew.”
“I didn’t even tell Calipari,” Washington said. “Calipari was like, ‘Do you think he could do it?’ I said, ‘Honestly, it doesn’t matter, because he’s not going.’ He said, ‘OK, if you say so.’ Because everything I’ve said has happened.”

LINK

Jan 22 - Auburn defeats UK 80-71

Calipari in postgame says, “I have told his parents that I am not going to put him in a position where he hurts himself. I am not. And we’re going to do this, the process of this, and if he ends up playing this year because he’s capable of doing it and he can play, we’ll play him. But I’m not just shoving him in so we can win another game or stay closer. I’m not going to do that.”
LINK

Jan 24 - Calipari teases possibility of Sharpe playing

"The last couple days he’s stepped on the gas a little bit and done some things," Calipari said. "I think our team would like me to put him in. We're doing stuff and something happens in practice, he does something, they all kind of look at me like, 'Come on now, If that's who he is, put him in.'"
LINK

Feb 2 - UK defeats Vanderbilt 77-70. Sharpe does not play and has not played a minute.

Summary:

Calipari stated flatly that he withheld the fact that he did not intend to play Sharpe so that he could create buzz around him. Since then he has said, numerous times, that he a) is not ready and b) will play if he's ready and c) he will not play the 'kid' if it hurts his draft status. He has even said all three things in the same interview.

It's very likely that Calipari continues to tease because this continues to create buzz around Sharpe and keep fans interested. This is like a game to him. It's likely because he already admitted doing it.

Dwayne Washington stated that everybody except Calipari knew that Sharpe would be eligible for the draft THIS YEAR. In fact, he did NOT state that Calipari didn't know - he stated that he himself did not TELL Calipari. That doesn't mean Calipari didn't know. In fact, if Calipari DID know before the season and let him join this year anyway, that might have created bad press. So Washington's statement is a bit of cover for Calipari. He also stated Sharpe will play at UK next year. Who knows if any of it is true.

So we're to BELIEVE that EVERYBODY EXCEPT CALIPARI knew that Sharpe was eligible for the draft BEFORE the season.

The one fact that is undisputed is that Sharpe continues to sit.
To me it’s simple. If he is getting NIL money then he plays. If he gets NIL, and Cal refuses to play him, then Cal is an idiot.

This insanely nonsensical post just shows what happens when a narcissist with an Internet Psychology Degree convinces themselves they've got somebody figured out. You don't know the first thing about me, and I don't give a rat's ass what you think. I debated even trying to explain anything to you, but you're too myopic and linear in your thinking to bother to reason with. You can eff right off. You're blocked along with the other name-callers and haters.

THIS is why it's better just to ignore people rather than reason with idiots. Just tell people to eff off and block them. People like you are not worth the time and effort.

And BallerCal, thanks for bumping my thread yet again!
Oops - I got this one wrong.

You're right, no red flags here.

Sept 7 - Sharpe commits to UK
LINK

Nov 9 - Sharpe announces he will enroll at UK in January
LINK

Nov 18 - Calipari states that Sharpe unlikely to play "I don't think so...we'll see."
LINK

Article also stated Sharpe's mentor Dwayne Washington said there was no chance Sharpe would play this season -
LINK

Jan 6 - Sharpe enrolls at UK and begins practices
LINK

Jan 7 - Calipari admits hiding his plan of Sharpe not playing from the public to keep the buzz going

“He’s a ways away from playing games,” Calipari said. “It may be a year from now. They all know. I talked to them. We don’t have a plan for him to play this year. Maybe he does, but that is not the plan and never has been. Now I never said it because I wanted everybody to go crazy, all the other places. But the reality of it is we’ve never had a plan. If you ask me right now, my guess is he won’t play. But you don’t know what happens. We’ve had injury after injury, this happened, that happened, we’re down to 6, 7 guys. I may tell him ‘look, man, you’ve gotta go in 7 minutes a game. You’ve gotta play some.’ But my hope is we’re never there.”
LINK

Jan 20 - Calipari teases Sharpe will play "if he's ready."

“He’s watching,” Calipari added. “Whether I play him or not this year, if he’s ready to be in games, I’ll put him in. He’s a great kid, and he’s doing well. And he’s going to make practices even better. He’s only been here two weeks. But, at the end of the day, you know I’m going to be for kids. That’s how I do this.”

It falls in line with what the UK head coach said about Sharpe last week, praising the five-star guard’s skill and shot-making ability, but adding that he’s still adjusting to the speed and pace of the college game.

“If he’s not ready to play, I would not put him out there,” Calipari said last week. “… You can’t do that to the kid — unless he’s ready. If he’s ready, I say let’s go.
LINK

Jan 20 - ESPN reports Sharpe eligible for 2022 draft
LINK

Jan 22 - Dwayne Washington (Sharpe's mentor) says the NBA KNEW that Sharpe was eligible for the 2022 draft BEFORE he came to school, but he did not tell Calipari. But he also said he told Calipari that Sharpe would be back next year.

“It’s pretty idiotic. Everybody knew that this was an option, but we’re not taking it,” Washington told KSR. “He lost millions coming to school. He came to get better. … You come to get ready if you want to go to the NBA, which is one of the goals. You have to be ready. People don’t respect Calipari’s ability to develop enough, that’s why (Shaedon’s) there.

“He’s not there to sit on the bench and wave at fans. He’s coming back next year. If he doesn’t play this year, he’s coming back next year.”

“This is not new news to us. We knew about this before he came to school,” Washington told KSR. “This news is not news to anybody in the NBA. … People just found out, but NBA people already knew.”
“I didn’t even tell Calipari,” Washington said. “Calipari was like, ‘Do you think he could do it?’ I said, ‘Honestly, it doesn’t matter, because he’s not going.’ He said, ‘OK, if you say so.’ Because everything I’ve said has happened.”

LINK

Jan 22 - Auburn defeats UK 80-71

Calipari in postgame says, “I have told his parents that I am not going to put him in a position where he hurts himself. I am not. And we’re going to do this, the process of this, and if he ends up playing this year because he’s capable of doing it and he can play, we’ll play him. But I’m not just shoving him in so we can win another game or stay closer. I’m not going to do that.”
LINK

Jan 24 - Calipari teases possibility of Sharpe playing

"The last couple days he’s stepped on the gas a little bit and done some things," Calipari said. "I think our team would like me to put him in. We're doing stuff and something happens in practice, he does something, they all kind of look at me like, 'Come on now, If that's who he is, put him in.'"
LINK

Feb 2 - UK defeats Vanderbilt 77-70. Sharpe does not play and has not played a minute.

Summary:

Calipari stated flatly that he withheld the fact that he did not intend to play Sharpe so that he could create buzz around him. Since then he has said, numerous times, that he a) is not ready and b) will play if he's ready and c) he will not play the 'kid' if it hurts his draft status. He has even said all three things in the same interview.

It's very likely that Calipari continues to tease because this continues to create buzz around Sharpe and keep fans interested. This is like a game to him. It's likely because he already admitted doing it.

Dwayne Washington stated that everybody except Calipari knew that Sharpe would be eligible for the draft THIS YEAR. In fact, he did NOT state that Calipari didn't know - he stated that he himself did not TELL Calipari. That doesn't mean Calipari didn't know. In fact, if Calipari DID know before the season and let him join this year anyway, that might have created bad press. So Washington's statement is a bit of cover for Calipari. He also stated Sharpe will play at UK next year. Who knows if any of it is true.

So we're to BELIEVE that EVERYBODY EXCEPT CALIPARI knew that Sharpe was eligible for the draft BEFORE the season.

The one fact that is undisputed is that Sharpe continues to sit.
il_570xN.2265222819_9j1l.jpg

It's all beginning to make sense...

“Now I never said it because I wanted everybody to go crazy, all the other places“

Is all you have. Everything else Cal said and did is perfectly reasonable—the sanest way of handling Sharpe coming in so late.

And since it doesn’t even vaguely align with anything else Cal has ever said about this kid or any other, wouldn’t a sane person assume Cal probably jumbled his words? A guy who is constantly giggled at for speaking in half sentences and jumping trains of thought because he doesn’t even respect the media unless ESPN actually has a microphone in his face?

Frankly I wouldn’t mind a bit if Cal did hatch a huge, sinister plot to make everyone go crazy with anticipation by purposely withholding the information that he wasn’t going to play Sharpe. How is that bad? It would just be a marketing tool, and Cal is known as a master marketer, and we benefit a lot from that.

But realistically, in context, it really seems much more likely that Cal was only trying to say if he indicated one way or the other whether he planned to play Sharpe then people would go crazy, and then go even crazier if he wound up changing his mind about whatever his initial plan was. This seven-page thread and all its brothers being a pretty good indication that would have been a wise insight on Cal’s part, at the point he said that quote.

Somebody please explain to me why there is such a big deal about him playing this season and why he wouldn't. If he is as good as they say he is he should be able to play and contribute to help this team win a National championship. Don't understand at all what this has to do with him coming back next year as well. Truly makes me think he, nor his handlers, have any intention of coming back next year

Reactions: Chevyfn2
“Now I never said it because I wanted everybody to go crazy, all the other places“

Is all you have. Everything else Cal said and did is perfectly reasonable—the sanest way of handling Sharpe coming in so late.

And since it doesn’t even vaguely align with anything else Cal has ever said about this kid or any other, wouldn’t a sane person assume Cal probably jumbled his words? A guy who is constantly giggled at for speaking in half sentences and jumping trains of thought because he doesn’t even respect the media unless ESPN actually has a microphone in his face?

Frankly I wouldn’t mind a bit if Cal did hatch a huge, sinister plot to make everyone go crazy with anticipation by purposely withholding the information that he wasn’t going to play Sharpe. How is that bad? It would just be a marketing tool, and Cal is known as a master marketer, and we benefit a lot from that.

But realistically, in context, it really seems much more likely that Cal was only trying to say if he indicated one way or the other whether he planned to play Sharpe then people would go crazy, and then go even crazier if he wound up changing his mind about whatever his initial plan was. This seven-page thread and all its brothers being a pretty good indication that would have been a wise insight on Cal’s part, at the point he said that quote.
So your position is that Cal didn't mean what he said, and you spent 4 paragraphs inserting your interpretation of what Cal was THINKING when he said it. And in the middle of it, you essentially acknowledged that he could very well have meant what he said. Got it.

The problem with your logic is that Cal used the words "I NEVER said it." That's an absolute statement that denotes Cal knew PRECISELY what he was saying.

You're just wishcasting in an attempt to deflect for Cal. I get it; you picked a side. That's your prerogative.

• Haha
Reactions: ManOfManyNames
So your position is that Cal didn't mean what he said, and you spent 4 paragraphs inserting your interpretation of what Cal was THINKING when he said it. And in the middle of it, you essentially acknowledged that he could very well have meant what he said. Got it.

The problem with your logic is that Cal used the words "I NEVER said it." That's an absolute statement that denotes Cal knew PRECISELY what he was saying.

You're just wishcasting in an attempt to deflect for Cal. I get it; you picked a side. That's your prerogative.
No, my position was that it was actually both cool and in our best interest even if what your tortured mind sees as the worst case scenario for what Cal said is true.

And also that Cal probably didn’t mean that anyway because he gets mushmouth sometimes and another intention is more in line with everything else he’s said. Not because I wish or cgaf which meaning he intended. Learn to read. I can see why four paragraphs would be challenging for you.

No, my position was that it was actually both cool and in our best interest even if what your tortured mind sees as the worst case scenario for what Cal said is true.

And also that Cal probably didn’t mean that anyway because he gets mushmouth sometimes and another intention is more in line with everything else he’s said. Not because I wish or cgaf which meaning he intended. Learn to read. I can see why four paragraphs would be challenging for you.
Dude. You're arguing with someone who can't even point out the lies when he is asked. He just rambles and shouts LIES every couple of posts.

See, you can't even have a conversation without making things personal. Very childish. Grow up. Cal is your god and you will defend him even while excusing the fact that he can't even manage coach speak very well.

• Haha
Reactions: ManOfManyNames

Here's the deal with the Sharpe situation:

1.) Cal knew and thought we were too dumb to see through it.

2.) Cal didn't know - which is worse given his forte being getting to the league and not vetting if Sharpe was eligible already.

Many fans made the comment the moment he stepped on campus that he would never play here. He used us for a brand when he could have played to not tarnish his draft stock. He received NIL money, world class facilities and the ability to practice against other draft picks, at our (as a collective UK basketball) expense.

Cal thought this team was final four worthy, which would have made Sharpe leaving after the season an after thought. Sure, we'd be pissed but we had a good year. Instead, he somehow managed to lose to a team that's never won a tournament game and somehow had the NPOY and two lotto picks on his bench.

I'm going to wager Cal just thinks we're too stupid, but now he doesn't have a choice, he has to eat his crow on this and hope it doesn't happen again (it will).

What's worse is if Cal actually convinces him to stay given his draft stock and Cal's mantra about "generational poverty" and pushing guys who have no business leaving out of the door.

Sharpe needs to go pro, but he also should have played this year given our injuries. It's complete BS by his camp and by Cal to put the team in such an awkward position.

Reactions: RipThru

2.) Cal didn't know - which is worse given his forte being getting to the league and not vetting if Sharpe was eligible already.

Many fans made the comment the moment he stepped on campus that he would never play here. He used us for a brand when he could have played to not tarnish his draft stock. He received NIL money, world class facilities and the ability to practice against other draft picks, at our (as a collective UK basketball) expense.

Cal thought this team was final four worthy, which would have made Sharpe leaving after the season an after thought. Sure, we'd be pissed but we had a good year. Instead, he somehow managed to lose to a team that's never won a tournament game and somehow had the NPOY and two lotto picks on his bench.

I'm going to wager Cal just thinks we're too stupid, but now he doesn't have a choice, he has to eat his crow on this and hope it doesn't happen again (it will).

What's worse is if Cal actually convinces him to stay given his draft stock and Cal's mantra about "generational poverty" and pushing guys who have no business leaving out of the door.

Sharpe needs to go pro, but he also should have played this year given our injuries. It's complete BS by his camp and by Cal to put the team in such an awkward position.
And bs from all the pumpers who tried to normalize it

And exactly why the one and done rule needs to go. Either do 3 and out line NFL or straight from HS. Because now we’re getting kids showing up early and sitting out. Not having to deal with HS anymore, getting world class treatment and not contributing shit.

Well said. Sums up my thoughts.

Reactions: susan2361
In other news UK baseball beat #1 Thug U in extra innings 3-2, game was over at ten till midnight.

See, you can't even have a conversation without making things personal. Very childish. Grow up. Cal is your god and you will defend him even while excusing the fact that he can't even manage coach speak very well.
Do yu ever wonder why he is making $9M a year while you are just talking about It That is if he is as stupid as you think he is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT