ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Drew? This is why I said be careful about running out John Calipari.

It ain’t about drop off, it about knocking it out of the part. If we are the top program, you can’t be mediocre. Drew is just meh. Cal with NIL money off the charts will be a big problem for us.
Well we’re not a top program anymore and haven’t been in 6-7 years. Oats already said no, and Hurley is a pipe dream. Those were the two homeruns.

I have concerns about Drew’s style of play…but he’s a triple. And an upgrade from the Cal we’ve had since Covid.

Recruiting will take a massive hit. Kentucky fans are about to find out. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

As a Michigan fan, I know all too well. Michigan went from John Bilein to Juwan Howard. Which was a disaster.
The reason you sucked is because Juwan is a garbage coach. Had nothing to do with recruiting.

There were no good options in 1997. I remember that list and it sucked. The timing of it sucked at least. Donovan had only been at Florida just one or two years. Tubby wasn't exciting at all.

Gillispie was the typical "Let's give a guy a big job for going to the Sweet 16" candidate. I wanted Cal then and Mitch gave us Billy. He corrected course two years later. And now- the NIL/portal stuff works against us in wanting a home run hire that's currently out of college ball.

We're definitely in the B level territory for this search.

I mean I know people don't want to hear this here but maybe UK just isn't as attractive an option as some would like to think.

Reactions: anonymous_2011
Tired Teddy Bear GIF by TikTok

• Haha
Reactions: Ugoff
The A list is like

Billy Donovan
Danny Hurley* no chance
Jay Wright * no chance

B

Nate Oats * Gone
Scott Drew
T.J. Otzelberger
Tommy Lloyd
Bruce Pearl

C
Sean Miller
Mark Pope

WTH Territory
Rick Pitino Haha

I mean I know people don't want to hear this here but maybe UK just isn't as attractive an option as some would like to think.
Oh, I fully understand that. You basically have to have a unique situation to grab a guy. I don't know if we get Cal if Memphis win in 2008. Them being in C-USA and Cal needing the validation of the blueblood label made it a great fit.

The optics of 07 weren't great as the media made sure of that.

Now, you got NBA guys who don't want to deal with the portal/NIL stuff, understandably. Hurley winning back to back titles in 2007 Donovan all over again, zero reason to leave that. Alabama has significantly more money than us and just got a Final Four so Oats doesn't feel compelled.

We appear to be in Scott Drew territory as the best of those who would say yes. Or could go with the younger hotter name in the Iowa State coach as I think he'd definitely say yes.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
The A list is like

Billy Donovan
Danny Hurley* no chance
Jay Wright * no chance

B

Nate Oats * Gone
Scott Drew
T.J. Otzelberger
Tommy Lloyd
Bruce Pearl

C
Sean Miller
Mark Pope

WTH Territory
Rick Pitino Haha
I'm not so sure I would want Otzelberger OVER Pitino if you really look into it. 🤷

I'm not so sure I would want Otzelberger OVER Pitino if you really look into it. 🤷
Trust me. I'd enjoy the nostalgia for the three or four seasons he's able to go. But then we'd be looking at someone yet again.

Recruiting will take a massive hit. Kentucky fans are about to find out. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

As a Michigan fan, I know all too well. Michigan went from John Bilein to Juwan Howard. Which was a disaster.
Oh no, instead of top 5 we’ll get top 10.

Imagine if Rutgers won the national championship. That’s what someone winning one at Baylor is. Scott drew did that.

Recruiting to Lexington is easier than Waco. Yet he got players in Waco.

Juwan Howard is a garbage can, not sure the relevance here. Drew took a program that was on the verge of getting shut down and took them to a top 25 team. Howard threw punches at opposing coaches taking over for a program in excellent shape.

Reactions: KentuckyMildCats
I couldn’t and wasn’t going to watch that pompous ass coach another game! If we get Drew we get him, I’ll support the team and Uk like I have for over forty years! We’ve had enough talent under Cal to have at least 3 Championship’s . I’m not a Donovan fan, I think he’s been away from college to long, it’s a different animal from when he left. Pearl would probably be hungry for 5-6 years. He’s been kind of a skum bag but whatever. Nate Oates plays a feast or famine type offense, and their defense was worse than ours most of the season. I really don’t like depending on making 20 threes to win a game. We’ll see I guess. Should know something before the weekend!

Reactions: RaginRondo

Don’t you have some football games to cheat at?

The A list is like

Billy Donovan
Danny Hurley* no chance
Jay Wright * no chance

B

Nate Oats * Gone
Scott Drew
T.J. Otzelberger
Tommy Lloyd
Bruce Pearl

C
Sean Miller
Mark Pope

WTH Territory
Rick Pitino Haha
No. You make oats and offer and make him say no. Period. It takes persistence this is after Hurley says no

Reactions: BlueSince92

How is Scott Drew is a reason to wish we hadn’t gotten rid of Cal?

As underwhelming as Drew’s record is outside his title, it’s still been way better than Cal’s this past straight half decade. And it will be even better at Kentucky if he comes.

We may still have Mitch standing between us and greatness. But why is that a reason to wish we still also had Cal standing between us and a Sweet Sixteen every once in a while?

Reactions: TM2013

Why are you here? At least your 3rd thread on the same subject. Are you lonely?

Michigan is that way^^

Not sure if you’re trolling or an idiot. Drew is an elite recruiter. Drew is a much better Xs and Os coach than Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT