ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Drew is Calipari "Light"

I know this may not be a popular take, but this is what I've always thought about Scott Drew. He tries to do the same thing Calipari has done, he's just not as good at it. If he becomes our coach, I'll support him and hope that my impression of him is completely wrong. His overall record is worse than Cal's. His approach to team building has been very similar. He's had one title but most of his other seasons are much worse than UK fans will accept. Am I missing something? I'd love to hear it.
Comparing Cal's record, a guy who had wins vacated at U mass and Memphis, to Drew, a guy who took over Baylor under double secret probation, is apples and oranges.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Donovan - a huge risk being out of college coaching so long

Oats- strong offensive teams but very weak on defense.

Drew- strong on offense and defense. Recruits well both incoming freshmen and portal. With KY resources teams would be even stronger at UK as he could attract players here that he cannot there and he is attracting a lot of talent there. I worry about his personality here and the job chewing him up and spitting him out but if he can handle it, I think he does very well here.
That's my only concern with Drew. His ability to cope with the job here and everything that comes with it. He's a solid coach but this is a different animal he would be taking on.

Donovan - a huge risk being out of college coaching so long

Oats- strong offensive teams but very weak on defense.

Drew- strong on offense and defense. Recruits well both incoming freshmen and portal. With KY resources teams would be even stronger at UK as he could attract players here that he cannot there and he is attracting a lot of talent there. I worry about his personality here and the job chewing him up and spitting him out but if he can handle it, I think he does very well here.
Look at baylor now, they got Edgecomb, top 2 player...... and their class is #3 to #5 depending on where you look. so Baylor will be strong their 3 best players.. maybe 4. but at UK he could be strong players 1 through 10

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Drew has a traditional practice methods.. normal big playbook offensively and defensively........ he's a great recruiter for being at baylor... i mean he beat Cal and also duke for Edgecomb right.

Yeah Donovan, Wright, Stevens and Hurley at this moment are the sexier picks coaching wise but those are grand slam hires....... Drew is still a home run hire though.
Maybe not quite a home run. He's a stand-up RBI triple.

I don't get this comparison. Cal is a used car salesman and Drew is the dad next door with the honor roll student. I don't think Drew is sexy pick as coach. But he is not a bad pick as a coach. I don't believe he will run off any back to back championships but he easily could win two in the next 10 to 15 years here. If he could win one at Baylor he could win here. He is an X's and O's coach that has shown ability to recruit and build a program. Cal is the let me get the most talent possible and I'll beat you with that talent and look flashy in the process. Problem for him is if he is faced with equal o or better talent than he has he does not possess the ability to win in that circumstance.

For all you, you in the he won a championship crowd. So did Kevin Ollie! Do we want to hire him? He’s available. Any coach can have one good year.

In the last decade he’s made it out of the first weekend 3 times and past the sweet 16 once. Doesn’t sound like an elite coach to me!

In what way? Can you be more specific? I would think he's more anti-Cal than Cal-lite.

Edit: the only similarity I see is both are excellent recruiters.
Yeah, I suppose building a team through high school recruiting was the main similarity I've always seen between them. I'll admit, I don't know if he's still seeing bringing in elite freshmen as his main team building anymore. Some others here have said he's been building with transfer portal and by keeping guys around longer than Cal did. I hope that is correct.

For all you, you in the he won a championship crowd. So did Kevin Ollie! Do we want to hire him? He’s available. Any coach can have one good year.

In the last decade he’s made it out of the first weekend 3 times and past the sweet 16 once. Doesn’t sound like an elite coach to me!
Yeah, this is what worries me. He did win a title in 2021, but his other teams have not been nearly as good. Maybe the UK effect would help him build better teams. It seems he's a better in-game coach and much more likable, less arrogant and touchy.

It seems like the same rhetoric with Billy Gillespie. “He’s winning at a Texas A&M, he’ll kill it at Kentucky”.
Drew is not the coach for UK, although I’m thinking he’s the one we get

Okay so, here we go. It seems a lot of the biggest Calipari supporters don’t want Drew. Why?

This post is absolute nonsense. Again, no disrespect intended, but what the hell are you talking about?

First, his name is Gillispie, not Gillespie. Further, they couldn’t be MORE different. One is arguing he’s like Calipari when he’s the opposite, now we’re throwing likeness to Gillispie. Where is this stuff coming from? Even though I realize you’re talking about the idea of them, there’s nothing remotely the same. Watch this.

“The rhetoric that —-insert coach—— will work here is the same we had with Gillispie.

It’s nonsense. It’s like when people compare Gillispie to Beard, more nonsense just because they’re both similar in appearance and region.

. Drew built up the worst power 5 job in basketball and turned them into a power who recruits top 5 guys. Gillispie was a one off drunk who ruined himself. Why even bring him into this?

For the love of everything holy please just stop with these comparisons and this attempt to lash away because at the end of the day, I think some are just pissed calipari was shown the door and act out. He’s a SALESMAN, you were bought man. Just let it go you were wrong and quit crapping all over good coaches because you’re having trouble with it. It’s clearly something cognitive at play because the things being said make no sense, and it’s disrespectful to our hopeful coaches who haven’t done anything to warrant this kind of deflection for character assassinations. I’m not buying it, some are just upset at the wrong people. He is who he is and that’s it. Just accept it.

This is what upsets me about the board. How many blatantly ignored how awful Calipari was to this program. As he neglected it and took it into a nosedive, (no offense OP) they sat there and argued and belittled people who saw it miles away. OP has argued in favor of Wheeler starting, chastising everyone who argued it. Came at posters about Calipari and the ways he was hurting the program. They actually promoted the idea that Calipari is some good man when clearly he’s not. And they didn’t just argue it, they would get pretty nasty at people over it.

Now these same people who should have realized they don’t know as much as they thought are putting down candidates like Scott Drew when he would be a terrific hire. This is why I just assume stay off and post at others boards now.

OP is a good guy I’m not arguing that but I don’t believe he totally gets these things enough to constantly comment about it. I think the best course of action for many would be to wait it out and listen more.

Scott Drew is nothing like Calipari. Nothing.

He’s a better man, he’s one of the elite floor coaches in basketball (Calipari was one of the worst), he’s way better in roster building (he utilizes the portal correctly) he’s shown mad loyalty where Calipari has absolutely none, in what ways could you even begin to suggest these men are even close to the same? It’s nonsense that a few have floated and now we’re gonna run with it? No.

We would be very fortunate to have Drew. On top of what he’s better than Calipari at, like a better man in general, he can also recruit with Calipari toe to toe. But he doesn’t just throw darts at a top 25 list, he recruits based on fit and need. Like Calipari? Not in this world.

I’m not trying to be an ass to the OP I do think he’s a good one and a respectable admin here. But his opinions have been so far off (if you can’t see through Calipari then…) that I think a wait and listen approach would be best.
I'll add to this that I think Scott will have much better relationships with the AD, local media, and the fans as well. I watched an interview with him and he just seems like a really down to earth, relatable guy. Completely opposite of the narcissist we just got away from.

This is what upsets me about the board. How many blatantly ignored how awful Calipari was to this program. As he neglected it and took it into a nosedive, (no offense OP) they sat there and argued and belittled people who saw it miles away. OP has argued in favor of Wheeler starting, chastising everyone who argued it. Came at posters about Calipari and the ways he was hurting the program. They actually promoted the idea that Calipari is some good man when clearly he’s not. And they didn’t just argue it, they would get pretty nasty at people over it.

Now these same people who should have realized they don’t know as much as they thought are putting down candidates like Scott Drew when he would be a terrific hire. This is why I just assume stay off and post at others boards now.

OP is a good guy I’m not arguing that but I don’t believe he totally gets these things enough to constantly comment about it. I think the best course of action for many would be to wait it out and listen more.

Scott Drew is nothing like Calipari. Nothing.

He’s a better man, he’s one of the elite floor coaches in basketball (Calipari was one of the worst), he’s way better in roster building (he utilizes the portal correctly) he’s shown mad loyalty where Calipari has absolutely none, in what ways could you even begin to suggest these men are even close to the same? It’s nonsense that a few have floated and now we’re gonna run with it? No.

We would be very fortunate to have Drew. On top of what he’s better than Calipari at, like a better man in general, he can also recruit with Calipari toe to toe. But he doesn’t just throw darts at a top 25 list, he recruits based on fit and need. Like Calipari? Not in this world.

I’m not trying to be an ass to the OP I do think he’s a good one and a respectable admin here. But his opinions have been so far off (if you can’t see through Calipari then…) that I think a wait and listen approach would be best.
I'm not offended by this at all savedbythehogs. In fact, this is what I wanted to hear, this and the comments of others about what Scott Drew brings to the table. I have watched Baylor play some, and watched them beat UK a couple times under Calipari, but I haven't followed them closely. So, I appreciate hearing your comments on him. That's what we do- we share opinions and messages about UK. So, good on you my friend.

My thread title is provocative, I know. That's not my usual approach. But, that is literally the way I have seen Scott Drew. And as I told another poster above, the main comparison I was making between Drew and Calipari was about building a team through recruiting. As for my opinions about Wheeler or Calipari in previous seasons, this is a message board. We post opinions. I do not claim expertise. I do usually argue my position strongly, but certainly not in any nasty way. I think my arguing style rubs people the wrong way at times, but I certainly do not intend to get personal or nasty. If I've come across to you in that way, that was not my intent.

Reactions: BradleyCrawford08
I'm not offended by this at all savedbythehogs. In fact, this is what I wanted to hear, this and the comments of others about what Scott Drew brings to the table. I have watched Baylor play some, and watched them beat UK a couple times under Calipari, but I haven't followed them closely. So, I appreciate hearing your comments on him. That's what we do- we share opinions and messages about UK. So, good on you my friend.

My thread title is provocative, I know. That's not my usual approach. But, that is literally the way I have seen Scott Drew. And as I told another poster above, the main comparison I was making between Drew and Calipari was about building a team through recruiting. As for my opinions about Wheeler or Calipari in previous seasons, this is a message board. We post opinions. I do not claim expertise. I do usually argue my position strongly, but certainly not in any nasty way. I think my arguing style rubs people the wrong way at times, but I certainly do not intend to get personal or nasty. If I've come across to you in that way, that was not my intent.

I appreciate that and it’s good you can handle some criticism. I’ve always enjoyed your presence here.

Drew would be fantastic. So would Hurley, so would Oats, but I really think I’d call Drew second. What he did at Baylor is unbelievable and something I would think would kill most coaches.

I’m fine with bringing in his top 5 class, having his ability to coach, scout, and recruit the portal for this program. I’m excited at these candidates, hopefully it’s 1 of 4 though, because after that I’m not sure.

Guys we’re going to have a COACH again. This is awesome either way.

Yeah, this is what worries me. He did win a title in 2021, but his other teams have not been nearly as good. Maybe the UK effect would help him build better teams. It seems he's a better in-game coach and much more likable, less arrogant and touchy.
In 2020, they were going to be a 1 seed.
21: 1 seed
22: 1 seed
23: 3 seed
24: 3 seed

In the portal/NIL era, the dude is killing it.

As far as Ollie: UCONN only had 3 titles when he took over. But it was still a way bigger basketball school than Baylor. Taking over for Jim Calhoun is A LOT easier than taking over after a murder scandal and NCAA infractions.

I appreciate that and it’s good you can handle some criticism. I’ve always enjoyed your presence here.

Drew would be fantastic. So would Hurley, so would Oats, but I really think I’d call Drew second. What he did at Baylor is unbelievable and something I would think would kill most coaches.

I’m fine with bringing in his top 5 class, having his ability to coach, scout, and recruit the portal for this program. I’m excited at these candidates, hopefully it’s 1 of 4 though, because after that I’m not sure.

Guys we’re going to have a COACH again. This is awesome either way.
Yep, we all want the same thing. We want to return to the top of the mountain, where we all believe UK belongs. We want wins. Our first priority is not NBA draft statuses or players escaping "generational poverty." We want UK to succeed and win games and be a part of the national conversation, and a legitimate threat to make Final 4s and win titles.

I don't get this comparison. Cal is a used car salesman and Drew is the dad next door with the honor roll student. I don't think Drew is sexy pick as coach. But he is not a bad pick as a coach. I don't believe he will run off any back to back championships but he easily could win two in the next 10 to 15 years here. If he could win one at Baylor he could win here. He is an X's and O's coach that has shown ability to recruit and build a program. Cal is the let me get the most talent possible and I'll beat you with that talent and look flashy in the process. Problem for him is if he is faced with equal o or better talent than he has he does not possess the ability to win in that circumstance.
May or may not be Drew, but this is spot on.... I have had my fill of grifter coaches.

Not in the "he won a championship crowd", but... He did it ALL with less talent than Cal.... What in the hell are you guys not getting?.. His record over the last 5 years is pretty good and a top 10 strength of schedule every year, in btw, a conf that alot think is better than the SEC. I would rather have a hurley, oates or Billy D..... but Drew is better than anyone else.... the dude is NO slouch at all.

Man, I love this post.

Most people's biggest gripe is actually just "he's not a sexy hire." He's a boring looking dude. He's not loud or verbose. He's not gonna say crazy things or get animated.

GREAT. I've had that the last 15 years. I welcome the change. ALL I care about is winning. Don't need sexy. Don't need cool or edgy. I need a guy that knows X's and O's, that builds a program, and takes care of the basics.

He's won as many National Championships as Cal has. And he's been more successful more recently than Cal. And he did it at Baylor in Waco of all places and not at Kentucky with all our resources. So how is that Cal "light"? Posts like this really bother me. We're already trying to tear ourselves into factions before we even name a coach.
What resources here at Kentucky would have prevented him from losing in the first weekend the last 3 years?

I know this may not be a popular take, but this is what I've always thought about Scott Drew. He tries to do the same thing Calipari has done, he's just not as good at it. If he becomes our coach, I'll support him and hope that my impression of him is completely wrong. His overall record is worse than Cal's. His approach to team building has been very similar. He's had one title but most of his other seasons are much worse than UK fans will accept. Am I missing something? I'd love to hear it.
There is no such thing as Calipari lite. Cal is the absolute bottom rung.

Get a hold of yourself. It’s going to be OK.

• Haha
It seems like the same rhetoric with Billy Gillespie. “He’s winning at a Texas A&M, he’ll kill it at Kentucky”.
Drew is not the coach for UK, although I’m thinking he’s the one we get
I don’t think you can compare Scott Drew to Clyde!

I completely disagree. His teams have excellent offensive efficiency (something Cal has not done in several seasons until this year). He keeps players longer. And he can adapt of defense (although apparently not his strength). I don't see how he is Cal light. And I am certain he would not pull a Shaden Sharp or not start Dilly and Shepard. Not sure how we come to the conclusion he is Cal light.

Pardon me for being confused..... You mean drew?.... and yes I will do better to keep up...
Yes sir I mean Drew. He’s pretty consistently lost in the first weekend in his career, I just don’t see how that changes because of resources at Kentucky. He’s just not that good

Anyone that cannot understand how great of a job at Baylor Drew has done and how difficult it is/was really doesn't understand college basketball.

Baylor only had 4 tournament appearances before he got there

38 year gap
Another 20 years (5 of those were while Drew was building a program)

Then

12 after Drew took over. Baylor might have been the worst basketball programs in the Country when he took over. Now they are one of the best.

People want a different culture than Cal. How is this guy not a top choice to rebuild a program?

I just don't understand why anyone would look at him and think he's anything other than a great recruiter, developer and coach.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
I completely disagree. His teams have excellent offensive efficiency (something Cal has not done in several seasons until this year). He keeps players longer. And he can adapt of defense (although apparently not his strength). I don't see how he is Cal light. And I am certain he would not pull a Shaden Sharp or not start Dilly and Shepard. Not sure how we come to the conclusion he is Cal light.
That phrase "Calipari Light" is something I've thought about Scott Drew for several years based on what I have perceived of his recruiting and team building and his teams in general. I'm not saying that is true, per se. It is just what has been my impression of him at Baylor. As I said above, I will support whoever UK hires. What I was really looking for on this post was to hear facts and opinions to counter that perception, and I've gotten exactly that from many. :D

Reactions: Cats192
There is several coaches I'd rather have than Drew.
He would be better than the last 5 years of Cal.
But damn near any coach would do better than that.
Kentucky deserves better than Drew to lead the number 1 basketball program in College basketball history.

He's won as many National Championships as Cal has. And he's been more successful more recently than Cal. And he did it at Baylor in Waco of all places and not at Kentucky with all our resources. So how is that Cal "light"? Posts like this really bother me. We're already trying to tear ourselves into factions before we even name a coach.
He’s been bounced in the 2nd round as the higher seed the last 3 years. He’s had 21 years at Baylor. If he’s that good at what point do we stop saying “he done so at Baylor of all places”? I’m not usually one to post or pick sides on here but if we want to do better than Cal, even though he’s had a few recent rough seasons, we have to do better than Drew. His recruiting isn’t near as good either( let’s be honest, the school name doesn’t bring the players as well as it use to). If Cal is getting 5-6 million NIL at Ark. He’s going to get his still and then some. Scott Drew isn’t competing with that

Anyone that cannot understand how great of a job at Baylor Drew has done and how difficult it is/was really doesn't understand college basketball.

Baylor only had 4 tournament appearances before he got there

38 year gap
Another 20 years (5 of those were while Drew was building a program)

Then

12 after Drew took over. Baylor might have been the worst basketball programs in the Country when he took over. Now they are one of the best.

People want a different culture than Cal. How is this guy not a top choice to rebuild a program?

I just don't understand why anyone would look at him and think he's anything other than a great recruiter, developer and coach.
This should be mandatory reading..

Drew is down the list of Coaches most BBN would want but the guy can build a roster plays modern offense and multiple Defenses. He can X and O with anyone and definitely out Coach CAL. If he is the choice KY will be in good hands, and be back fighting for titles both SEC and National.

He’s been bounced in the 2nd round as the higher seed the last 3 years. He’s had 21 years at Baylor. If he’s that good at what point do we stop saying “he done so at Baylor of all places”? I’m not usually one to post or pick sides on here but if we want to do better than Cal, even though he’s had a few recent rough seasons, we have to do better than Drew. His recruiting isn’t near as good either( let’s be honest, the school name doesn’t bring the players as well as it use to). If Cal is getting 5-6 million NIL at Ark. He’s going to get his still and then some. Scott Drew isn’t competing with that
if ya strike out on Oates.. Hurley and Billy D.... Scott Drew is it.... not a better overall coach. and if scott drew isn't competing with 5-6 mill at arky with Cal, who is?....

Reactions: 4UK4Life
if ya strike out on Oates.. Hurley and Billy D.... Scott Drew is it.... not a better overall coach. and if scott drew isn't competing with 5-6 mill at arky with Cal, who is?....
It looks like Mitch isn’t even interested in Oats. I’m with you on Hurley and Donovan but I like a handful of others before it got to Drew.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT