ADVERTISEMENT

Rupp Rafters NBA Legends GM Draft Round 1: GonzoCat90 vs Gossie21

Which team would win a 7 game playoff series on a neutral court?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GonzoCat90

All-American
Mar 30, 2009
I think most have been following along, but here's the summary just in case:

We drafted 12 players from a pool of anyone in NBA history. It is understood that this includes the totality of the player's career and not one particular season.

Which team do you believe would win a 7 game playoff series on a neutral court played with today's regulations (shot clock, three point line, etc)?

GonzoCat90

Kareem Abdul-Jabar
Charles Barkley
Scottie Pippen
Vince Carter
Russell Westbrook

Reserves: Giannis Antetekounmpo, Bob Lanier, Dave Cowens, Mo Cheeks, Joe Johnson, Blake Griffin, Gail Goodrich

Gossie21:

Hakeem Olajuwon
Dennis Rodman
Ray Allen
Reggie Miller
John Wall

Reserves: Wes Unseld, Arvydas Sabonis, Devin Booker, Stephon Marbury, Tayshaun Prince, Steve Kerr, Andrei Kirilenko

The poll will be open for 24 hours. It is currently 9:53 AM central time.

I'll give Gossie21 some time to see the thread and I'll post an initial argument for my team later.

To be fair, I think we only specified “best of 7, playoff style format.” I don’t think we got into a rules discussion until the draft was almost over.

Let me know if I’m mistaken.

To be fair, I think we only specified “best of 7, playoff style format.” I don’t think we got into a rules discussion until the draft was almost over.

Let me know if I’m mistaken.

For this one, you're right. The others it was specified up front, and the idea was that this was another installment in what we've done before. It was implied but not explicit.

It's what people's minds are going to automatically envision, however. And it's the only uniform way to do it that makes any sense. When that's the case, rules in that vein are usually best.

Someone can try and hash it out otherwise, but I don't see a better solution and I do believe those present agreed in the thread, or at least, no one spoke up otherwise.

For this one, you're right. The others it was specified up front, and the idea was that this was another installment in what we've done before. It was implied but not explicit.

It's what people's minds are going to automatically envision, however. And it's the only uniform way to do it that makes any sense. When that's the case, rules in that vein are usually best.

Someone can try and hash it out otherwise, but I don't see a better solution and I do believe those present agreed in the thread, or at least, no one spoke up otherwise.

Actually, I think there has been a lot of discussion about the level of physicality in diffferent eras, etc. I don’t think we have any criteria as strict as “2018 rules, no hand checking.”

But like I’ve said repeatedly, it’s more a feel thing, imo. How do the voters feel about these teams matched up together, suspending all disbelief or any notion of time and space. Or something like that.

Gossie has the better shooting team. Gonzo’s team is definitely the stat stacker, but I’m not convinced those pieces would fit very well. I prefer teams with a couple volume shooters and a bunch of tenacious role players. When you have players like Westbrook, Barkley, and Kareem on the floor, they’re gonna cannibalize each other’s production. There’s only one ball, and only so many shots to take inside of eight feet. You don’t see zone defense a lot in the pros, but I’d run a zone against that squad for sure.

I think most have been following along, but here's the summary just in case:

We drafted 12 players from a pool of anyone in NBA history. It is understood that this includes the totality of the player's career and not one particular season.

Which team do you believe would win a 7 game playoff series on a neutral court played with today's regulations (shot clock, three point line, etc)?

GonzoCat90

Kareem Abdul-Jabar
Charles Barkley
Scottie Pippen
Vince Carter
Russell Westbrook

Reserves: Giannis Antetekounmpo, Bob Lanier, Dave Cowens, Mo Cheeks, Joe Johnson, Blake Griffin, Gail Goodrich

Gossie21:

Hakeem Olajuwon
Dennis Rodman
Ray Allen
Reggie Miller
John Wall

Reserves: Wes Unseld, Arvydas Sabonis, Devin Booker, Stephon Marbury, Tayshaun Prince, Steve Kerr, Andrei Kirilenko

The poll will be open for 24 hours. It is currently 9:53 AM central time.

I take Gonzo here. KAJ is one of the few who has an edge on Hakeem, and (imho) the third-best player of all-time (behind Jordan and LeBron). Pippen is the perfect player for an exercise like this - a lockdown defender (best wing defender of all-time), superb playmaker, good enough shooter, and scales with volume. I'd be aggressive about finding ideal lineups. Mo Cheeks (or even JJ if going big), VC (or JJ), Pippen, maybe Giannis instead of the Chuckster (better D, shooting about even), and KAJ. Westbrook is perfect for a second team in this exercise, and a lineup with him, Pippen, VC, Giannis, and even Barkley will be devastating in transition (and meh in halfcourt, but against 2nd teams who cares?). Love the wings here as JJ, Pippen, Giannis, and even VC can guard 2-4 positions. I might also stagger KAJ and Barkley, but Westbrook and Barkley are not an ideal pairing.

I like Allen and Miller a lot for this exercise, but I'd again stagger their minutes as there is little shooting elsewhere on the roster (Booker and Prince have no place here, Kerr is a reach). Can they play together? I think they're both pure 2s who would struggle as 3s or 1s. Who guards big wings? Prince is a pretty poor option as he topped out at like a 4th best starter type. Kirilenko is probably the wild card, as peak AK47 is a Swiss Army knife that can fill in where needed. Again, though, he's probably a bit below the level needed to really impact this format; Giannis is far superior (although clearly costlier). Hakeem is so good and fits nicely in this format due to his elite defense and mobility, but KAJ is just a touch above. Wall is a nice piece, but starting to wonder whether he can play well on smaller volume. Not sure I like Rodman's fit here, but if deployed correctly I think he can work well. Him and Chuck battling for boards is appointment viewing.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Gossie has the better shooting team. Gonzo’s team is definitely the stat stacker, but I’m not convinced those pieces would fit very well. I prefer teams with a couple volume shooters and a bunch of tenacious role players. When you have players like Westbrook, Barkley, and Kareem on the floor, they’re gonna cannibalize each other’s production. There’s only one ball, and only so many shots to take inside of eight feet. You don’t see zone defense a lot in the pros, but I’d run a zone against that squad for sure.

You'd zone a team with two of the ten best rebounders of all time in the starting lineup?

And with the best rebounding guard since Oscar?

And with two of the top 10 all time 3-point makers?

And with all five starters averaging at least 4 assists per game?

Now, you might have to with Reggie Miller and Ray Allen on the wings trying to defend, but what does Dennis Rodman give you in a zone? You're playing a man down.

I take Gonzo here. KAJ is one of the few who has an edge on Hakeem, and (imho) the third-best player of all-time (behind Jordan and LeBron). Pippen is the perfect player for an exercise like this - a lockdown defender (best wing defender of all-time), superb playmaker, good enough shooter, and scales with volume. I'd be aggressive about finding ideal lineups. Mo Cheeks (or even JJ if going big), VC (or JJ), Pippen, maybe Giannis instead of the Chuckster (better D, shooting about even), and KAJ. Westbrook is perfect for a second team in this exercise, and a lineup with him, Pippen, VC, Giannis, and even Barkley will be devastating in transition (and meh in halfcourt, but against 2nd teams who cares?). Love the wings here as JJ, Pippen, Giannis, and even VC can guard 2-4 positions. I might also stagger KAJ and Barkley, but Westbrook and Barkley are not an ideal pairing.

I like Allen and Miller a lot for this exercise, but I'd again stagger their minutes as there is little shooting elsewhere on the roster (Booker and Prince have no place here, Kerr is a reach). Can they play together? I think they're both pure 2s who would struggle as 3s or 1s. Who guards big wings? Prince is a pretty poor option as he topped out at like a 4th best starter type. Kirilenko is probably the wild card, as peak AK47 is a Swiss Army knife that can fill in where needed. Again, though, he's probably a bit below the level needed to really impact this format; Giannis is far superior (although clearly costlier). Hakeem is so good and fits nicely in this format due to his elite defense and mobility, but KAJ is just a touch above. Wall is a nice piece, but starting to wonder whether he can play well on smaller volume. Not sure I like Rodman's fit here, but if deployed correctly I think he can work well. Him and Chuck battling for boards is appointment viewing.

Good post. I just put the lineups with the first five picks from each team starting.

I think my team can play any way. Guys like Joe Johnson at 6'7 240, Giannis, Barkley, Pippen can all play the wing or the post.

I can go gigantic and smother you in a halfcourt traditional game, or I can put together the most athletic, freakish fast break team of all time.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
You'd zone a team with two of the ten best rebounders of all time in the starting lineup?

And with the best rebounding guard since Oscar?

And with two of the top 10 all time 3-point makers?

And with all five starters averaging at least 4 assists per game?

Now, you might have to with Reggie Miller and Ray Allen on the wings trying to defend, but what does Dennis Rodman give you in a zone? You're playing a man down.

Dennis Rodman isn’t exactly a shabby rebounder. And assists are easier to get when the defense moves.

I don’t know how many minutes you’re giving your bench; too many moving pieces when I try to account for the absurdly deep benches of both sides. But a backcourt of Reggie Miller and Ray Allen will space the floor - productively. A backcourt of Westbrook, Carter, and Pippen won’t. But it will sure take a lot of shots.

Dennis Rodman isn’t exactly a shabby rebounder. And assists are easier to get when the defense moves.

I don’t know how many minutes you’re giving your bench; too many moving pieces when I try to account for the absurdly deep benches of both sides. But a backcourt of Reggie Miller and Ray Allen will space the floor - productively. A backcourt of Westbrook, Carter, and Pippen won’t. But it will sure take a lot of shots.

Vince Carter shot better than 40% from 3 in six seasons and shoots 38% for his career while sitting at 8th all time in made 3s.

Once the 3 became a part of the Bulls' game, Pippen made between 1.5 and 2 3s a game on about 36% shooting. He clearly could shoot, even in years where the nature of the game meant that he didn't take many attempts.

Westbrook is more of a threat from 3 than Wall, and Barkley is definitely more of a threat than Rodman.

There are also two sides to the court. If your plan in this tournament is to run sets for Reggie Miller, yikes.

What happens when I put Pippen on Wall and there's not a single other facilitator or guy who can get his own shot?

Sorry for the delay, it already sounds like a good debate so far, although everyone that is picking against me is wrong.

Gonzo's team has absolutely no outside shooting, the biggest team killer in Westbrook, and his strength is that he has assembled a bunch of stat stuffers from an era of basketball when nobody played defense and everyone made an all-star game. The option to zone, or at a minimum sag-off and force Gonzo's team to shoot from the outside would kill his team. They have limited ability to score from the outside and clogging the lanes would make it difficult for KAJ to operate, and even when he could he would be dealing with the league's all-time leader in shot blocking. And Kareem doesn't even have Magic there this time to help bail him out and deliver titles to him on a platter.

Shooting translates across all generations of basketball, and my team has assembled 3 of the top all-time greatest 3 point shooters, with Devin Booker not even included in that list. Vince Carter and Westbrook aren't known for their defensive prowess, so I'm not sure how much they will be locking down on the perimeter. Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Devin Booker, and even Tayshaun and Kerr would have a field day scoring against Gonzo's team.

As for Gonzo's claim that he has 2 of the top all-time rebounders. I would point out that both of those players played at a time when only the centers were expected to rebound. Let's just say that with Dennis Rodman, Olajuwon and Unseld I'm not too concerned about my teams ability to rebound. I do wonder how Gonzo's team plans to score though. They aren't scoring at the rim, and they're not scoring from 3. Maybe this will be the first team in the history of the NBA to win a playoff series relying exclusively on mid-range jumpers. Good luck with that strategy.

Vince Carter shot better than 40% from 3 in six seasons and shoots 38% for his career while sitting at 8th all time in made 3s.

Once the 3 became a part of the Bulls' game, Pippen made between 1.5 and 2 3s a game on about 36% shooting. He clearly could shoot, even in years where the nature of the game meant that he didn't take many attempts.

Westbrook is more of a threat from 3 than Wall, and Barkley is definitely more of a threat than Rodman.

There are also two sides to the court. If your plan in this tournament is to run sets for Reggie Miller, yikes.

What happens when I put Pippen on Wall and there's not a single other facilitator or guy who can get his own shot?
John Wall has a higher career 3pt% than Westbrook, and a higher career more-teammates-like-him% as well.

As for Pippen's shooting prowess. I mean he would be about the 5th or 6th player on my roster I would want taking a 3. But he's the second player you would trot out to carry the 3 point shooting load?

Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Devin Booker, and even Tayshaun and Kerr would have a field day scoring against Gonzo's team.

You make some good points that are worth considering, but Miller and Allen can't really play together in this format - both are pure 2s, and neither can defend the 3 or the 1 (unlike, say, Joe Johnson or even VC who can defend smaller 3s). Booker, Prince, and Kerr should not see the floor in this format. FFS, Booker isn't even an All Star (or really all that close) in the current West. Kerr and Prince topped out at, what, 4th best players on a title team? Kerr maybe not even that much. The shooting gap is a bit illusory due to the lack of depth.

What happened to the other matchup you posted? I voted but can't find it.

Edit: Nevermind, found it. You didn't post it. My bad.

You make some good points that are worth considering, but Miller and Allen can't really play together in this format - both are pure 2s, and neither can defend the 3 or the 1 (unlike, say, Joe Johnson or even VC who can defend smaller 3s). Booker, Prince, and Kerr should not see the floor in this format. FFS, Booker isn't even an All Star (or really all that close) in the current West. Kerr and Prince topped out at, what, 4th best players on a title team? Kerr maybe not even that much. The shooting gap is a bit illusory due to the lack of depth.
I stand corrected. There is someone that actually factors in the 10th and 11th pick of this draft.

Did you honestly just say that Vince Carter could defend someone? Was that a joke? That can't possibly be serious.

Reggie Miller would have to defend the 3 for my starting lineup. I don't see that as much of an impediment for him given his size and speed, and his reputation to get under opponents skin. The upshot is that he and Allen together provide spacing and the ability to break the opponents' back with 3pt shooting.

Oh come on. At least give us something believable and make it fun.

We are only one vote apart

tenor.gif

This is the same Reggie Miller who never posted a positive defensive box plus/minus and had 34 total defensive win shares in 18 seasons right? Same one? He's guarding Scottie Pippen?

Or are you putting Rodman on him and leaving Reggie to lock down Barkley?

I understand that advocating for your team sort of unrealistically is part of how these games are played, but it was made clear that each player is evaluated on their entire body of work. That said, I commend your clever attempt to covertly cherry-pick stats.

Your starting five has one decent three-point shooter, Carter, who shot a career 37%. All of your other starters average less than 1 point per possession on a three-point attempt, which is terrible in the modern NBA. A team that can shoot can overcome nearly any deficiency. AD delivered some Kareem Abdul-Jabar performances this playoff season, and had a decent supporting cast including a 20-assist Rondo, but it wasn’t enough to break down a team that can shoot from multiple positions.

Don’t hear me wrong. I haven’t reached my verdict yet. You have a nice squad, I’m leaning your way. KAJ is peerless, and you have some excellent rebounding in the backcourt. If Westbrook played defense all the time, I’d probably already be Team Gonzo. But I think Rodman would disrupt your dominance on the glass for second chances, and without second chances I can see that team getting poisoned by the same looks that took down the Thunder and the Rockets this season.

Reactions: gossie21
I understand that advocating for your team sort of unrealistically is part of how these games are played, but it was made clear that each player is evaluated on their entire body of work. That said, I commend your clever attempt to covertly cherry-pick stats.

Your starting five has one decent three-point shooter, Carter, who shot a career 37%. All of your other starters average less than 1 point per possession on a three-point attempt, which is terrible in the modern NBA. A team that can shoot can overcome nearly any deficiency. AD delivered some Kareem Abdul-Jabar performances this playoff season, and had a decent supporting cast including a 20-assist Rondo, but it wasn’t enough to break down a team that can shoot from multiple positions.

Don’t hear me wrong. I haven’t reached my verdict yet. You have a nice squad, I’m leaning your way. KAJ is peerless, and you have some excellent rebounding in the backcourt. If Westbrook played defense all the time, I’d probably already be Team Gonzo. But I think Rodman would disrupt your dominance on the glass for second chances, and without second chances I can see that team getting poisoned by the same looks that took down the Thunder and the Rockets this season.

Semantics a bit, but players are considered as they're remembered. Meaning a guy like Pippen or a hundred others playing 2-3 seasons too many and hurting their averages makes it necessary to highlight relevant statistics.

Carter, Pippen, Johnson, etc aren't better shooters than Reggie Miller and Ray Allen, but they're also a damn sight better than guys like Steve Kerr and Devin Booker.

Their percentages and makes relevant to their era means they're good shooters. You can't leave them open. They can also attack you off the bounce, create for others, rebound, etc. and Pippen is maybe the best perimeter defender of all time.

Gossie drafted one trait and is trying to steer the conversation entirely towards it. He has one facilitator on the entire team. He starts a guy who literally cannot score. He has probably 3 guys who don't belong on a roster in this.

But yes, Ray Allen and Reggie Miller are very good shooters. They didn't do much else.

Two above average (by historical standards) one dimensional guys who play the same position arent winning a tournament loaded with all time greats, but it's a clever attempt given that the sample of "great shooters" spans about ten years so you can just say that no one else can shoot.

Semantics a bit, but players are considered as they're remembered. Meaning a guy like Pippen or a hundred others playing 2-3 seasons too many and hurting their averages makes it necessary to highlight relevant statistics.

Carter, Pippen, Johnson, etc aren't better shooters than Reggie Miller and Ray Allen, but they're also a damn sight better than guys like Steve Kerr and Devin Booker.

Their percentages and makes relevant to their era means they're good shooters. You can't leave them open. They can also attack you off the bounce, create for others, rebound, etc. and Pippen is maybe the best perimeter defender of all time.

Gossie drafted one trait and is trying to steer the conversation entirely towards it. He has one facilitator on the entire team. He starts a guy who literally cannot score. He has probably 3 guys who don't belong on a roster in this.

But yes, Ray Allen and Reggie Miller are very good shooters. They didn't do much else.

Two above average (by historical standards) one dimensional guys who play the same position arent winning a tournament loaded with all time greats, but it's a clever attempt given that the sample of "great shooters" spans about ten years so you can just say that no one else can shoot.

Other people can shoot. Just nobody on your roster.

I don't think Gossie's team would win a game in this matchup. Easy sweep for Gonzo, IMO.

C'mon man. Better shooters than Kerr and Booker. You can't just outright lie in this thing can you?

Reactions: BassProCat
C'mon man. Better shooters than Kerr and Booker. You can't just outright lie in this thing can you?

Not as shooters. As players.

Although if you ever actually put either of those guys on the floor my guys could shoot underhanded and win by 20.

Those two starting lineups are insanely talented! I agree with some on here that Gonzo's team runs the risk of not meshing due to the playing style of some of his guys but I voted for his team based on the sheer potential of what could happen with that five on the court playing in unison.

Can other people dribble and pass and defend or why didn't you draft any of them?
Not as shooters. As players.

Although if you ever actually put either of those guys on the floor my guys could shoot underhanded and win by 20.
The context of your statement implied you thought they were better shooters. And let me make sure I understand this. Booker is such a poor player that you drafted him early in the 2nd round of your other draft. Seems inconsistent, but somehow consistent with the way you try and bend the argument in your favor.

I have Olajuwon and Rodman as my starting frontcourt and you don't think I have anyone who can play defense? Also John Wall, Unseld, Sabonis, Prince, and Kirilenko. Ask your man Kobe how good Prince is on defense

Reactions: kornucopia
The context of your statement implied you thought they were better shooters. And let me make sure I understand this. Booker is such a poor player that you drafted him early in the 2nd round of your other draft. Seems inconsistent, but somehow consistent with the way you try and bend the argument in your favor.

I have Olajuwon and Rodman as my starting frontcourt and you don't think I have anyone who can play defense? Also John Wall, Unseld, Sabonis, Prince, and Kirilenko. Ask your man Kobe how good Prince is on defense

You're aware that the other draft is based on what might happen with current NBA players over the next five years and this one is the historical performance of every player in NBA history, right?

Or would you like to trade Hakeem for Joel Embiid?

I liked Gonzo's team but Westbrook uugghhh. Team destroyer number one. It does appear to be the better team though, but how to Barkley, Pippen, and Southbrookinahurry play together? Also very limited outside scoring it appears. On the other hand Gonzo's team is built like a truck. Tough squad. I want to go Gonzo but the Westbrook pick and lack of outside scoring would concern me. Toughy toughy. Not sure yet. Need to be persuaded.

Right, and how many guys are you going to play at a time?

I mean if you start Wall and Miller and Allen and Rodman and Hakeem and Ak47 and Prince and Kerr then it'll probably be hard for me to contend with all that shooting and defense.

Cause as it stands you're selling voters on an unstoppable perimeter shooting squad that starts a guy who will never shoot and a point guard who, uh, struggles making shots away from the rim.

One-dimensional players aren’t necessarily a bad thing when they’re masters of their dimension. Gives a team structured decision-making and efficiency. Ask Golden State how they feel about Steph Curry (I threw up a little bit typing that because I loathe Curry, but it’s true).

Rosters in these all-star imaginings invariably turn out loaded with ball-dominant players whose stats and legacies reflect their positions as centerpieces of actual NBA teams. You talk about Rodman like he’s a joke in this context, but in reality, he’d be a brilliant choice. He’s a player who knows his role and can be trusted to superbly do a narrow range of things that don’t eat into the production of his teammates. Gossie’s team might have only one facilitator, but he’s the best facilitator imaginable for this sort of roster, and he’d never come off the floor.

So to recap: Gossie has the best rebounder on either team, the best passer on either team, the fastest player on either team, and the two best shooters on either team, anchored by an historic center whose productivity was only marginally lower than Kareem Abdul-Jabar -

...but his players are one-dimensional and would lose the series in a rout? I don’t think so. Maybe 4-2.

I plan on starting 5 guys. But I do appreciate the hyperbole, that is enjoyable.

Is it safe to assume that you will be starting Westbrook? I'm not sure I would even have to worry about defense any time he's on the floor. You would have Kareem, Barkley, and Pippen just standing around while Westbrook calls his own number on every play.

Meanwhile, unless Pippen can somehow guard ever perimeter player, you simply aren't going to stop my team from scoring from 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT