ADVERTISEMENT

Running thread

Originally posted by LadyCat92:
Pti - I think you misread his post. He is doing the Derby Mini and the Flying Pig half if I'm reading it correctly. Those should be doable if you're well conditioned. The main thing will be how much adrenaline kicks in during the Derby Mini and results in you over exerting yourself, making you really sore. That will make it a tough recovery week going into the pig.
Yeah, you probably just shouldn't try to set a PR or crush it. Just cruise and be sure to get out the next day and wear that soreness off after the first race.

I'll be doing the Flying Pig full to celebrate my 45th birthday. I'm doing a half two weeks before just to get loose, but I won't try to do anything crazy in that race - probably just treat it like a tempo run.

I haven't registered for Lovin' the Hills yet, but I've decided to do it. Being stupid is fun.

Originally posted by Lexie's Dad:

I haven't registered for Lovin' the Hills yet, but I've decided to do it. Being stupid is fun.
That's the logic I used for the Bourbon Chase followed by a full marathon. It worked out ok.

I'm as excited for Lexi's Dad's race as I am any of my own.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

I think the Headys could do a much better job promoting that than they do. Seriously, it's one of the hardest races in the entire country. The times on that course are amazingly slow. Love it. Cant wait for your long 4 hours or torture, and I'm praying for snow and ice. Bring your mittens.

19 tonight for my run. Just stings until that .75 mile point, then it's excellent. Not good for training for a race that will be 80 and humid as balls.

Rocky Raccoon 100:

http://www.tejastrails.com/Rocky.html

Huge event, and was chosen as the USA Track & Field 100-mile trail championship. Since the course was not only loops, but also had several parts of the course where outbound and inbound runners were crossing paths, we all got a lot of opportunities to bump into each other on the trail.

- course/US record holder Ian Sharman won. i saw this dude running up a hill at about mile 92 (for him, not me) at probably a sub-8 minute pace. freak of nature.
- some poor local kid was running his first race beyond 50k, and came out of the gates absolutely on fire. finished the first 40 miles in about 4 hours, or a 6:00 pace. that's on pace for a us/trail record by about 2 hours.
laugh.r191677.gif
oops. he basically died from there, and had to dnf. such a shame, because clearly he had a ton of talent -- just started WAY too fast.
- beautiful course/trail/park (huntsville state). aid stations were absolutely packed to the gills with all kinds of food and drink.

My race:
- i had the perfect strategy, pace, hydration, eating....i just freaking quit with 40 miles to go and 14:30 left on the clock.
- really pissed at myself, pretty depressed about the situation. really should have been my day, but wasn't.
- a race like that (a dnf) is just so mentally crushing. it takes so much time/energy/preparation to get geared up for any long distance, and a failure puts so much of that work into question. not only that, but ive got to wait several more months before i get another legitimate crack at it. ugh. really, really upset with myself.
frown.r191677.gif

I was clearly exhausted, as I'd been on my feet for 15+ hours. That's to be expected. But it was also dark outside, I would have finished my next 20-mile loop somewhere around 4 oclock in the morning, it was raining, I was going solo, it was cold...

Ugh. Really, I was just mentally DONE. I know it's cliche, but so much of the sport is mental. If I could have just gotten up off my ass and comfortably walked/strolled the last two laps, I'd have finished with plenty of time to spare. But that's easy to say as I'm sitting on my sofa sipping coffee this morning. The appeal of a hot shower and a bed is unbelievably satisfying when you've got 60 miles behind you.

And that's why I'm so down on myself. Lots of work and prep, and I basically just quit. Really pissed.

Hate that for you PTI. Even though it's on smaller scale, we all have moments when we crack and we end up pissed at ourselves because of it. With luck, you'll be able to use it for motivation.

Meanwhile, I'll be in Louisville for LTH Saturday. Just doing the 15 miler. My goal is to not get hurt. Got to set that bar high.

Low 40s to mid 50s for Louisville Saturday? Did I find a bad forecast? Will LTH be noticeably different than that? I was expecting 20s... Is this a trap?
Well, instead of the ground being frozen its just going to be muddy as shit.

Originally posted by MobileCatFan:

Low 40s to mid 50s for Louisville Saturday? Did I find a bad forecast? Will LTH be noticeably different than that? I was expecting 20s... Is this a trap?
Well, instead of the ground being frozen its just going to be muddy as shit.
That sucks. Can't even imagine that.

After my biggest month in over a year I was feeling pretty good leading into Ragnar. Then the last week my legs have felt sluggish, hurt and been slow the last 3-4 runs. Typically get that once a week but not several runs in a row. Probably get just get a light light run in tonight and skip the next few days.

Speaking of running weather. High 70 partly cludy and low 59.
smokin.r191677.gif

LLTH is in the books. 15.51 according to my Garmin (why don't they just call it a 25k?).

3:34. Perfect weather. Lost a little time taking off a jacket and rearranging my clothing. Lost a little time re-tying my new trail shoes 3 times. Really lost some time when I caught one of the friends I rode up there with and slowed down to run with her for a bit. She would normally smoke me in a half, but she was having difficulties. I caught up to her with about 5 miles to go and finally took off with about 2 miles to go and finished 5 minutes ahead of her. I probably could have finished in about 3:25 if not for that.

It did get a bit sloppy in spots. I imagine some folks who were running the 50K had a hell of a time this afternoon. Walked/hiked up plenty of hills and down one or two. Walking up one hill I did actually say, "Touch this hill".

Never fell, never rolled my ankle completely (though started to a couple of times).

Almost fell once and I would have tackled a cute little number but I managed to gain my balance and miss her while apologizing profusely.

Great day all in all. Thanks to PTI and everyone else who really did help convince me to run this thing.

Make fun all you want, but runningwarehouse.com has Hoka's on sale right now and by on sale, I mean like half price.

Hoping the ishy weather is behind us.

Only ran 73 miles or so in February - that included LTH and a half marathon. Only lost one running day to Thor. 8 weeks to Flying Pig, need to get a few 20 milers in between now and then.

Same here. Just got in 79 in Feb. Just a crappy running month but I've held stead the last couple of weeks, even if it has meant the treadmill for part of it.

The new Nike Vomero's look like crap, atleast in the women's selection. Hope they release some better looks soon.

Huge bump from page 2.

* Running the Flying Pig in 2 weeks to celebrate turning 45. Arriving Friday. I welcome recs for dining Friday and Saturday night (I do believe in carb loading).

Rest of this is primarily for far west KY folks (Legal), but then again some of the rest of you might care as well..

* Is anyone else running the Murray half tomorrow?

* My running club is helping to put together a fall LBL marathon and half marathon road course race this year. It will be the third Saturday of October (10-18 I think). A bit hilly, but a neat course. Half is one loop, full is two loops. We used the road course this year for the trail run (trail was too wet to responsibly run it) and decided to offer the road course for a separate race in the fall. Should be gorgeous. I'll get better entry information and post it if anyone is interested.

* Another half/full the following week in October in southern IL (Harrisburg, Vienna, something like that). Entry fee is a bit high, but then again no hotel.

* When does entry for St. Jude open? Really want to run that this year.

General registration for St. Jude opens June 1. If you fund raise, it will open May 1.

The weekend your running club is putting on a race is a popular one. Iron Horse is Oct 10. Boubon Chase is Oct 16-17.

Doing the Derby Mini next weekend and have no motivation for it. Can't wait for the Hatfield-McCoy just for the experience.

Running the full Derby Saturday. Ran a 1:28:23 half in Murray last weekend, so I'm feeling pretty good about a good time. Weather looks like poo though.

Anyone else doing the full?

Reactions: robo222
Running the full Derby Saturday. Ran a 1:28:23 half in Murray last weekend, so I'm feeling pretty good about a good time. Weather looks like poo though.

Anyone else doing the full?

I am. Really average shape this year. I'm actually good if it is light rain and a little cool.

Good luck! The projected temp and rain is making me go back and forth on what to wear. Can't decide if I want to mess with a light poncho or not. I've never run with one before so I keep changing my mind on it.

I sweat more than any human being in the world so no point in wearing a poncho since I'm going to be soaked either way. Light runner tank top is really the only option. I'm actually a big fan of rain during runs as it distracts me.

Good luck lb... I suppose you are shooting for 3-flat?

Reactions: legalbeagle123
No clue. 3:30ish I suppose. I ran a lot the past six months but didn't exactly put a lot of effort into training.

3:08:32, good for 70th out of 1,952 according to website. I'll take it! Rain not a factor except for maybe turnout. Was dreading Iroquois but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Helluva run legal. Your time is only more than an hour faster than my goal of 4:15 for Flying Pig (stretch goal being sub 4:00).

But, seriously folks - where do I need to eat in Cincinnati?

3:30ish? Errr.... 3:50ish.

Disappointed in myself on that one. Just never felt like running the entire day. Don't even feel that sore today. Temp was perfect and the rain didn't bother me. Just a piss poor effort.

3:30ish? Errr.... 3:50ish.

Disappointed in myself on that one. Just never felt like running the entire day. Don't even feel that sore today. Temp was perfect and the rain didn't bother me. Just a piss poor effort.

It happens. Still a good time for not feeling it.

Thanks LD, and good luck next week at the Flying Pig!

There is this gal on Twitter that I follow. She tweets non-stop. It's like a trainwreck...can be fascinating. She boasted some significant short-term weight loss, which I was skeptical about. Then she tweeted during the marathon that she was on pace for sub-4 hours. Later, she posted a 3:50 time. I thought perhaps she meant the Mini, but she went all in on her claim multiple times about 26.2, and the fact she ran it in a faster time than her ex ran 13.1...and that her time was close to Boston qualifying. Only pic was headshot from downtown...but oddly, no pics of her time, her bib, her medallion...and I cannot find her by age, time, or name in the online results. It fascinates the hell out of me.

Her Ex walked a 4+ hour 1/2? I mean there are a few that finish that late but I don't know about that. Also, unless she bought someone else's bib then she didn't run.

There is this gal on Twitter that I follow. She tweets non-stop. It's like a trainwreck...can be fascinating. She boasted some significant short-term weight loss, which I was skeptical about. Then she tweeted during the marathon that she was on pace for sub-4 hours. Later, she posted a 3:50 time. I thought perhaps she meant the Mini, but she went all in on her claim multiple times about 26.2, and the fact she ran it in a faster time than her ex ran 13.1...and that her time was close to Boston qualifying. Only pic was headshot from downtown...but oddly, no pics of her time, her bib, her medallion...and I cannot find her by age, time, or name in the online results. It fascinates the hell out of me.

I mean its possible if she took someone's bib number and there were plenty of people finishing up the half when I came through at that same time.

Get the fascination though... there are a ton of people that love falsifying the shit out of that stuff when it is basically impossible to bullshit your way through it unless you go all Kip Litton. Just a weird event to boast about your successes in when everything is easy to verify... also because it is relatively meaningless in every sense. To each their own I suppose.

First post on the new board. I'll work on this avatar thing later. I'm just getting back into running. An injury last year and 2 bad winters in a row took its toll. My brother and SIL ran the marathon. My SIL is unreal. She ran Boston on Monday and qualified there (3:32) and decided to run the full Saturday (3:35). Basically, she ran 2 BQs in 5 days. My brother ran 3:17 so missed his BQ by about 7 minutes.

I didn't inherit the speed gene in my family. I'm still slow and am fine with that!

Reactions: LadyCat92
I'm a turtle and that's just the way it is. I'll never be fast and I've learned to accept it.

Seeing the surgeon on Friday. Pretty sure I've torn my lateral meniscus again. #over40sucks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT