ADVERTISEMENT

Rich Brooks

I love how people act like Stoops could coach circles around Brooks. It's like they aren't aware that Brooks literally was responsible for brining two college programs back from the dead and did it with a bunch of two stars and little to no resources. The man has more coaching knowledge in his pinky than Stoops does in his whole body.

The powerhouse that is Oregon owes its current success to Brooks and he had Kentucky in line to follow until Barnfart did what Barnfart does.

I love how people act like Stoops could coach circles around Brooks. It's like they aren't aware that Brooks literally was responsible for brining two college programs back from the dead and did it with a bunch of two stars and little to no resources. The man has more coaching knowledge in his pinky than Stoops does in his whole body.

The powerhouse that is Oregon owes its current success to Brooks and he had Kentucky in line to follow until Barnfart did what Barnfart does.
If you are saying he brought Kentucky back from the dead you didn't watch then. We beat LSU, but his teams weren't successful.

If you are saying he brought Kentucky back from the dead you didn't watch then. We beat LSU, but his teams weren't successful.
Our program was probably worse off when he took over than when Stoops did. His record wasn’t spectacular, but he did pretty well considering what he was working with. He didn’t have near the support that Stoops has had. And I’d argue the SEC East he faced was much tougher than the one Stoops has faced.

Thinking the same thing. The man is living the good life right now. His twitter is essentially some sort of combination of "watching the sunset with my wife", "eating a BLT with a tomato i just picked", "shot 82 today, made some money"
He sure enjoys fishing too 😁. He earned that relaxation. He did a lot with what he had .
You gotta.think during brooks years. LSU was a championship program. Florida was a championship program, SC was a SEC champion Arkansas was tough with McFadden and Jones . Brooks never had a down Florida...he got to play Tebows UF teams, Tennessee was decent back then really now we probably should lost to UGA and UA but there is no reason to get embarrassed in any game. Papaw did far more with less overall.

Our program was probably worse off when he took over than when Stoops did. His record wasn’t spectacular, but he did pretty well considering what he was working with. He didn’t have near the support that Stoops has had. And I’d argue the SEC East he faced was much tougher than the one Stoops has faced.
Our program wasn't worse when he took over. He followed the only coach since Bear Bryant that left on his own and wasn't fired (Guy Morriss). Stoops came in after Joker decimated the program. Georgia in the SEC east is better than the Florida teams that Brooks faced, even though Florida did win two titles. I agree that Stoops has gotten more support from the University, and has actually recruited better if you believe in recruiting rankings. I don't mean to sound like I'm shitting on coach Brooks, because I'm not. He did good things here. But people have revisionist history mentality and always remember it being better than it was. We have always sucked. While we have had a hand full of upsets over the years, we have generally had our asses handed to us by the better teams in the SEC. I'm as bad as anyone at talking myself into believing we are going to win on a Saturday, only to watch our kids get beat by better players when we play Alabama, Georgia etc.

It is very difficult to build a program anywhere, but in the SEC it is damn near impossible. If you are the 20th best recruiting class in the country, but 6th in your division, you are going to lose the big games. As I've said before, I'm 87 years old and am not giving up hope that I will get to see my team play in a National Championship football game. But, I'm not going to bet on that.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Our program wasn't worse when he took over. He followed the only coach since Bear Bryant that left on his own and wasn't fired (Guy Morriss). Stoops came in after Joker decimated the program. Georgia in the SEC east is better than the Florida teams that Brooks faced, even though Florida did win two titles. I agree that Stoops has gotten more support from the University, and has actually recruited better if you believe in recruiting rankings. I don't mean to sound like I'm shitting on coach Brooks, because I'm not. He did good things here. But people have revisionist history mentality and always remember it being better than it was. We have always sucked. While we have had a hand full of upsets over the years, we have generally had our asses handed to us by the better teams in the SEC. I'm as bad as anyone at talking myself into believing we are going to win on a Saturday, only to watch our kids get beat by better players when we play Alabama, Georgia etc.

It is very difficult to build a program anywhere, but in the SEC it is damn near impossible. If you are the 20th best recruiting class in the country, but 6th in your division, you are going to lose the big games. As I've said before, I'm 87 years old and am not giving up hope that I will get to see my team play in a National Championship football game. But, I'm not going to bet on that.

I'm not even 40 and I have no hope of that. It's called understanding football and how recruiting works, as you alluded to. College football is a joke when it comes to parity and that won't ever change.

Brooks inherited a program on probation. Down 16 scholarships and it was more like 20-24 because those last 4-8 guys on scholarship were walkon caliber.
Brooks inherited everyone returning from a team that went 7-5 under Morris and threw it away to go 4-8 and lose to Vandy. They should've gotten bad, but Brooks accelerated the slide.

Brooks inherited a program on probation. Down 16 scholarships and it was more like 20-24 because those last 4-8 guys on scholarship were walkon caliber.
If I’m not mistaken, our games weren’t allowed to be on TV when Brooks took over. There’s a difference in inheriting a program that was losing versus taking over one that was riddled with sanctions.

Brooks actually gave us hope though.
Hal Mumme and Morris gave us hope, too.
Brooks squandered that his first year.
Brooks gave me hope we would beat Misissippi State, but it was false.
No more Top 25 dreams after that.
Certainly not hope for South Carolina, or Tennessee, or Florida.
We won 7 games twice. Great. Woopity do. Then 6 and 6.
He hit his ridiculously low ceiling and already plummeting back to Earth.

Hal Mumme and Morris gave us hope, too.
Brooks squandered that his first year.
Brooks gave me hope we would beat Misissippi State, but it was false.
No more Top 25 dreams after that.
Certainly not hope for South Carolina, or Tennessee, or Florida.
We won 7 games twice. Great. Woopity do. Then 6 and 6.
He hit his ridiculously low ceiling and already plummeting back to Earth.
Better than Curry. He's the reason I started drinking.

• Haha
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
And he was the national coach of the year when we poached him. Shows how hard it is to win here.
He couldn't beat Auburn and Alabama won't put up with that. I think he saw the writing on the wall. Who in their right mind would leave Alabama for Kentucky otherwise?

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
He sure enjoys fishing too 😁. He earned that relaxation. He did a lot with what he had .
You gotta.think during brooks years. LSU was a championship program. Florida was a championship program, SC was a SEC champion Arkansas was tough with McFadden and Jones . Brooks never had a down Florida...he got to play Tebows UF teams, Tennessee was decent back then really now we probably should lost to UGA and UA but there is no reason to get embarrassed in any game. Papaw did far more with less overall.
How is all of that Stoops fault

Brooks took over and was only allowed 61 scholarship players. He was discussing it last week on Dick Gabriel's show. When you're supposed to have a roster of 85, that's a HUGE deal. People acting like Brooks walked into a turn key situation simply because Morriss left for Baylor have no idea what they are talking about.

Stoops inherited a whole different set of problems when he took over. I'm not really interested in a dick swinging contest over which coach had it worse off at the beginning. Ultimately Stoops has clearly been given more resources than Rich was. And he's paid more too. A lot more. It's time to deliver some legitimate results above and beyond what we've seen.

I'm generally a Stoops fan. He's our guy. But he's not above criticism or feeling some heat. I agree with people who say "who cares how much he's paid...its not your money." But there has to be some sort of return on investment commensurate with the salary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT