ADVERTISEMENT

Wolford / Clink

Collins has put Kaiden Smith/Valentine in the league. Phillips is likely drafted this year, Hairston next year plus Hairston could be pre-season All-SEC. I don't know who's the better recruiter but Collins deserves credit for his early returns.
Would take Clink back in a heartbeat, but not for Collins - Buffano...

Reactions: JHB4UK
Doesn’t the portal open again right after spring practice??? Alabama to Deone Walker….. We will double what you’re making at UK come to Bama?? Why can’t they still raid rosters for 2024?? Please don’t say that’s tampering because Tennessee already openly tried to recruit Barion Brown from us. The NCAA is not enforcing tampering.

Because the SEC has a policy that says a player cannot transfer to another SEC school if they are not in the portal when the first portal season closes in Jan. That may change but it is the current policy.
...and contact in this regard works both ways. Families of players reach out to schools to gage interest and opportunity as well. We don't know who starts the ball rolling in many cases. There's a whole agency subculture created by the open transfer rules and National Sponsorship Initiative (NIL).

Once a name surfaces as interested it's a frenzy. Every decent program knows exactly who they'd like on a given roster. UGA to YSU, they know. Some don't need to hunt the portal. Some do. It's a mess no matter how you look at it, and doesn't always pan out for transfers or their new schools.

Top kids are assured of getting multiple options, but many of the kids who are not playing and looking to get on the field don't get any offers. I saw the number from last year and the numbers were much higher than I expected. I don't remember exact but out of approx 11k D1 football scholarshiped athletes 2k hit the portal and about half didn't get picked up.

Yeah we see it with Kentucky guys going in the portal every year now. A kid at a school like Kentucky who has been here a couple of years but not played and so has no game tape.....good luck.

These guys don't realize the portal door swings 2 ways. Sure, you are free to go into it. Tbink you can go someplace better and start and earn NIL. And the school is free to slam it shut behind you & lock it tight. Use your ride on a new body.

Yeah we see it with Kentucky guys going in the portal every year now. A kid at a school like Kentucky who has been here a couple of years but not played and so has no game tape.....good luck.

These guys don't realize the portal door swings 2 ways. Sure, you are free to go into it. Tbink you can go someplace better and start and earn NIL. And the school is free to slam it shut behind you & lock it tight. Use your ride on a new body.

Just reading the tea leaves, guys that for that description are usually shown the door to make room for talent upgrades.

It's an unfortunate part of the portal era but a part nonetheless. Recruit and develop, where we excelled, is virtually done.

Moore got the head job of Michigan today so it's likely he keeps a lot of Harbaugh's staff including Clink.

I think that is probably a good bet. They were ready to offer 4.5m for to keep OC and DC. Because teams will be coming after their players

DC, Jesse Minter(son of ex-UK DC), went with Harbaugh did he not?

That's what I read, they named the OC coach and I read Clink was likely choice for DC. They doing everything they can to keep players and avoid mass exits like Bama and Washington have had.

Reactions: mrschwump
Clink is a good coach, but I never imagined him being DC somewhere like Michigan.

Best coaches on defense I can remember under Stoops are Sumrall, Leblanc, Clink, and Ansley (White and House as position coaches as well). Dean Hood was good too, but would have been better to catch him earlier in his career.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Welp if Clink is probably unavailable, and was a distant dream anyway....Derrick Ansley will soon be unemployed and available.....

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Clink is a good coach, but I never imagined him being DC somewhere like Michigan.

Best coaches on defense I can remember under Stoops are Sumrall, Leblanc, Clink, and Ansley (White and House as position coaches as well). Dean Hood was good too, but would have been better to catch him earlier in his career.

Agree. He's already ascended well beyond his ability imo too. I get he's worth it to avoid roster issues, but this will not work out long term.

Maybe I'm wrong but he did not strike me as that guy

Fwiw the folks saying "Ohio/Georgia will hire Wolford after 2024!@#$%", if it happens UK gets paid a buyout. And we would get paid if Coen left early now or after 2024 as well.

Wolford salary is interesting, $350k this yr then $800k. He took a discount because of his Bama buyout. So that offsets what UK loses in firing Yenser.

So basically Bama is paying for UK to dramatically upgrade our O line coaching & HS recruiting. Not a bad deal!

Reactions: mrschwump
You believe UK is prepared to get in a bidding war with Mich, one Mich can't afford to lose with the portal opening up for their players?
We could maybe afford it if we we didn’t have simultaneous bad hire contract pay offs. And I don’t think they would even come close to marrows salary just because. This whole boat is a stoops and Vince show. Vince has done a lot here and it mattered even more in the early years when we leaned on Ohio more. But 12 years in I would’ve hoped we would be beyond just one high level sec recruiter type. Along the way we had clink a little bit and sumrall could bring in a few. But it seems you would want to grow past being one man centric recruiting chops

We could maybe afford it if we we didn’t have simultaneous bad hire contract pay offs. And I don’t think they would even come close to marrows salary just because. This whole boat is a stoops and Vince show. Vince has done a lot here and it mattered even more in the early years when we leaned on Ohio more. But 12 years in I would’ve hoped we would be beyond just one high level sec recruiter type. Along the way we had clink a little bit and sumrall could bring in a few. But it seems you would want to grow past being one man centric recruiting chops

They were prepared to pay coordinators 4m+ to stay, that quite a bit more than any other coordinator. Of course Minter went with Harbaugh and the OC was named head coach. But they will top what Marrow is making to keep Clink. They have to otherwise Bama, Washington, both who just lost alot of players will come raiding their roster.

Every staff has that guy who is just a better recruiter than the others on the staff. Our OL coach is poorest recruiter on the team, he is older guy and just not good at the rear end kissing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT