ADVERTISEMENT

Rich Brooks in Town, Toured CWS

I wonder what he could have done with the present support while he was here.
i wish he were 10 years younger when we hired him. just imagine if he'd of had the joker years as well then we got stoops to follow brooks in '14... woohoo that would of been magic. oh well. glad we had him as long as we did.

Reactions: jnewc2
Hard not to like that guy..he got the absolute most out of the players he had..he was as good as they come at developing players..he would move a wide receiver to tight end and he'd become an NFL star..he'd move a running back to corner..he'd move a little-used tight end to offensive line..always wondered what he could do with a roster full of star players..when he had the players we played pretty solid..by the time he was done our defense was in the upper half of the league..I always remember that his teams would come out and play better in the second half than they did in the first..that was always a sign of a good coach to me..he'd make the halftime adjustments..a lot of those guys under Brooks are still playing in the NFL to this day..his guys would play with discipline and toughness and they had a work ethic about them..his teams would take on his personality..they weren't flashy, but they never gave up..there were a lot of comeback wins under him..I'd like to see him come around the program more often really..the guy was an NFL head coach and a defensive coordinator for a Super Bowl team..he had a pretty solid coaching staff at the time too..just lacked some recruiting and commitment from the university

If Brooks had the commitment from Mitch, he wouldn't have retired. Prob still would have slumped for a season or 2 after 2007 cause we lost a lot and would have had to slightly rebuild again, but by 2010, he'd of had us winning 8 plus and would have left us in perfect shape to hand off to a guy like Stoops so he could hit the ground running. Oh well ,didn't happen. If nothing else, Brooks showed us all that UK can be competitive. He reversed the thinking about UK football and gave the fan base he expectations that have led to stoops and an updated commonwealth. They should put a statue of him in the stadium imo!

Reactions: footballfanatic77
It took him a few years to get things going, but once he did I have to say he was one of the better UK coaches during my lifetime. I'm not that old and the bar is not that high, but I like him a lot.

It took him a few years to get things going, but once he did I have to say he was one of the better UK coaches during my lifetime. I'm not that old and the bar is not that high, but I like him a lot.

He also with his coaching help to get this new CWS!

Rich Brooks ‏@UKcoachbrooks 29m29 minutes ago
Stopped by the women's clinic and got to see some of Kentucky 'a best fans. Coach Stoops introduce me and had a chance to meet his staff.

If Brooks had the commitment from Mitch, he wouldn't have retired. ...

dead-horse.gif

The dead horse was UK football after ten years of mitch's "support".

I remain amazed after numerous posts from people who think they know, none of the constant criticism of Mitch is true at all. Yes, he was aloof I the beginning and loyal to a fault, but the man was allowed to grow into the job and has become one college sports most respected athletic directors.

Mitch lost a lot of support because he criticized UK fans who rightly saw that Joker was not going to work out. It seemed to me that he only gave up when UK fans decided to show him by refusing to go to games. As I recall there were only 18,000 at one home game. Then Mitch decided not to announce actual game attendance anymore. So please spare us the quit beating the dead horse illustration. The fans forced Mitch to toss Joker overboard and we have Stoops because of it. Way to go fans. Mitch is paid handsomely to raise ticket prices to what the market will bear. He should therefore have a thick enough skin to stand the heat.

Reactions: BigBlueFanClub
Mitch lost a lot of support because he criticized UK fans who rightly saw that Joker was not going to work out. It seemed to me that he only gave up when UK fans decided to show him by refusing to go to games. As I recall there were only 18,000 at one home game. Then Mitch decided not to announce actual game attendance anymore. So please spare us the quit beating the dead horse illustration. The fans forced Mitch to toss Joker overboard and we have Stoops because of it. Way to go fans. Mitch is paid handsomely to raise ticket prices to what the market will bear. He should therefore have a thick enough skin to stand the heat.

and how could you be dumb enough to believe Joker was going to work out? All you had to do was hear Joker do one press conference and you knew he was a joke. Mitch is not a great evaluator of talent at all. If it weren't for Mark Stoops basically begging for the UK job and selling himself so well, Mitch would NEVER have gone after Mark Stoops. Coach Stoops brought himself here. Mitch did NOT go get Stoops. In addition, Turtle Neck Tommy is 10x better AD than Mitch ever will be.

You couldn't be more wrong Von. It's been hashed and rehashed here ad nauseum but some folks just have it in their head that the fans forced Mitch's hand when in fact the decision had already been made. Really - this is really frustrating.

STICK TO FOOTBALL YOU"RE BETTER AT THAT!

Reactions: warrior_SW
Guys, we have it.....

If something good happens to UK in athletics, Mitch had nothing to do with it. If it's bad, it's Mitch's fault. We understand. Yes, it's a dead horse being beaten to death.

PS _-RV knows what he's talking about.

Thankful that Brooks came in and made us relevant again. He is a legendary ageless bad azz. Thanks CRB!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT