ADVERTISEMENT

What do recruits think about all the Coen uncertainty?

Jan 25, 2024
I don’t blame the guy for wanting to take on bigger challenges, and honestly he will probably be in a better competitive position anywhere in the NFL than coaching Kentucky in the sec. But what kind of effect does this have on the recruiting trail? Our OC has bitten at pretty much any opportunity he’s had to get out of town. Our HC was gone until he got left at the alter. Our new o line coach slunk back to town, but only because the greener pastures no longer existed and he was looking for a job after the coaching carousel stopped spinning. Marrow and white are the only ones I feel good about sticking around for any period of time, and while they recruit well I don’t trust either from an X/O perspective. Just very frustrating, especially when you see what our peers in our tier of the league are able to accomplish (mizzou, ole miss in particular). I know we will still get plenty of high 3* and call them yahtzees, but if you're a national recruit I think the obvious instability would turn you off to what were selling.

I don’t blame the guy for wanting to take on bigger challenges, and honestly he will probably be in a better competitive position anywhere in the NFL than coaching Kentucky in the sec. But what kind of effect does this have on the recruiting trail? Our OC has bitten at pretty much any opportunity he’s had to get out of town. Our HC was gone until he got left at the alter. Our new o line coach slunk back to town, but only because the greener pastures no longer existed and he was looking for a job after the coaching carousel stopped spinning. Marrow and white are the only ones I feel good about sticking around for any period of time, and while they recruit well I don’t trust either from an X/O perspective. Just very frustrating, especially when you see what our peers in our tier of the league are able to accomplish (mizzou, ole miss in particular). I know we will still get plenty of high 3* and call them yahtzees, but if you're a national recruit I think the obvious instability would turn you off to what were selling.
As much as I hate it I agree with everything you are saying.
We are paying him close to two million bucks a year to interview for every job that come open.

Reactions: JrandoUK and UKat1
I think the answer to your question depends on what is really going on. I would say the recruits probably know a lot more information than you or I. If he is not leaving, they probably know it and aren't concerned about it. If he is potentially leaving, it is probably having some effect. Either way, we don't have enough information to judge.

I don't think they care nearly as much as fans because they can always just portal out. The impact is really at the program and fan level where we need to be ready for his departure no later than after this coming season.

By being ready I mean proactively searching for his replacement now so there can hopefully be minimal dip in recruiting

and yet we have alot of top 2025 guys planning to make visits. do a little homework before you post... and give up your last username since your a whole week on the board with this name.

Reactions: JHB4UK
and yet we have alot of top 2025 guys planning to make visits. do a little homework before you post... and give up your last username since your a whole week on the board with this name.
We would have recruits decommiting if he was really leaving. I think he is using this as experience with interviews but also leverage for a potential head football coach in College. I think he stays and builds something before he leaves again.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT