ADVERTISEMENT

How much weight (if any) does the overwhelming online opinion on Calipari hold for the decision-maker(s)?

Imafan4evr_

Junior
Jul 31, 2004
We have no way of knowing with certainty, but do we think our athletic department keeps a general finger on the pulse of social media and/or message board sentiment? The last time I recall such an absolutely universal belief amongst the online presence was probably Joker, but I’ve always felt the empty stadium for the Vanderbilt game was ultimately what pulled that trigger.

Rupp will never look like Commonwealth did that day, but in every form of media or interaction you can find, it’s unanimous today. I’m confident it doesn’t rank highly on the criteria list for such a monumental decision, but does it carry ANY weight at all?

Reactions: Lost In FL
If you lose the fans then you won’t make it at Kentucky and Cal has certainly lost the fans. I think Mitch and everyone in the athletic department knows this. It’s a tough decision for him but he did this by giving Cal that awful contract and now he can somewhat redeem himself by parting ways with Cal.

If you lose the fans then you won’t make it at Kentucky and Cal has certainly lost the fans. I think Mitch and everyone in the athletic department knows this. It’s a tough decision for him but he did this by giving Cal that awful contract and now he can somewhat redeem himself by parting ways with Cal.
I’m just one person and not a significant one
But he’s lost me for sure
I will not watch another game while he holds the title of coach
Wont even wear any gear…nothing
I’m done

0%. Mitch and the administration can know Cal bad lost the fans but if the buyout money isn’t there there’s no move to make. Boosters either pony up the money or they don’t, but you don’t pay a $33 million buyout with university of athletic department funds.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildcats1st
Probably about 0.0000000%

Aka, they don’t give two shots what people on Twitter or a message board say or think
It’s called heat and yes it’s why we are here. Without it your boy lives out his contract in Lexington. And when cal is gone so will you and a large chunk of the fans who came over with cal.

Reason I pose the question: if we’re being honest, hardly any of us are heavy hitters. We may go to a few games a year at most. Personally, I quit that habit in 2021 and haven’t been back since. I’d call it “voting with my money”, but it’s such insignificant money. Barnhart doesn’t care that I skip my half dozen games a year. Many of our season ticket holders won’t do that, as some won’t want to lose their spot and others view games as a place to be seen no matter the circumstances. It doesn’t leave very many avenues for voices to be heard unless those voices come with huge checks attached.

Online opinion may have some effect but if you look at that photo of Mitch at the Calipari presser after the loss, it sure looks like he’d had enough of the Cal era before the internet weighed in.

Serious question. Where is the $51 million payout from the SEC going? We're not updating the practice facility and we're not paying for Rupp renovations. We renovated Memorial last year, I'm assuming with last year's funds. Same with the indoor football facility. And I know a lot of the money funds the club sports that lose money. But where is the rest of that money going?

We have no way of knowing with certainty, but do we think our athletic department keeps a general finger on the pulse of social media and/or message board sentiment? The last time I recall such an absolutely universal belief amongst the online presence was probably Joker, but I’ve always felt the empty stadium for the Vanderbilt game was ultimately what pulled that trigger.

Rupp will never look like Commonwealth did that day, but in every form of media or interaction you can find, it’s unanimous today. I’m confident it doesn’t rank highly on the criteria list for such a monumental decision, but does it carry ANY weight at all?
You all need to get over yourselves. The Internet means nothing because most Internet posters are gutless and are not even UK fans.

Serious question. Where is the $51 million payout from the SEC going? We're not updating the practice facility and we're not paying for Rupp renovations. We renovated Memorial last year, I'm assuming with last year's funds. Same with the indoor football facility. And I know a lot of the money funds the club sports that lose money. But where is the rest of that money going?
It goes to the athletic department and then from there money goes to the school. Even with that massive media rights payment the athletic department only made $5 million in profit last year.

Reason I pose the question: if we’re being honest, hardly any of us are heavy hitters. We may go to a few games a year at most. Personally, I quit that habit in 2021 and haven’t been back since. I’d call it “voting with my money”, but it’s such insignificant money. Barnhart doesn’t care that I skip my half dozen games a year. Many of our season ticket holders won’t do that, as some won’t want to lose their spot and others view games as a place to be seen no matter the circumstances. It doesn’t leave very many avenues for voices to be heard unless those voices come with huge checks attached.
Correct. All the blue hairs that have the expensive seats in the lower arena will still be there next year because it's just a social event for those people. They're the ones that yell at you if you stand up and cheer (or boo next year).

It goes to the athletic department and then from there money goes to the school. Even with that massive media rights payment the athletic department only made $5 million in profit last year.
I thought school funds and athletic funds were separate? For instance, the school is not supposed to use athletic funds to build academic housing, pay professor salaries, etc. Is that not correct?

It’s called heat and yes it’s why we are here. Without it your boy lives out his contract in Lexington. And when cal is gone so will you and a large chunk of the fans who came over with cal.
Haha. Ok clown. I’ve said dozens of times Cal needs to go but you do you. Keep throwing stupid stuff out there, something will stick at some point.

Correct. All the blue hairs that have the expensive seats in the lower arena will still be there next year because it's just a social event for those people. They're the ones that yell at you if you stand up and cheer (or boo next year).
I’m sure someone who has season tickets can weigh in because I don’t, but if you have season tickets and renew how easy is it to get them again? I’d imagine not easy. So while people might not want to necessarily buy tickets for games next year if Cal returns, if they want to still have those same tickets in five years they may have no other choice.

I thought school funds and athletic funds were separate? For instance, the school is not supposed to use athletic funds to build academic housing, pay professor salaries, etc. Is that not correct?
I’m almost positive the school gets at least some AD profit. I know for sure the department is self funded and never takes money from the school, but I don’t think the reverse is true.

But regardless, the buyout is still more per year than what the department makes in profit. No buyout money would be paid by the department itself, it would have to be donors.

Football and KY Basketball only make money every other sport drains the bank

Reactions: Lost In FL
Football and KY Basketball only make money every other sport drains the bank
Yeah I know. I was looking at both the University and Athletic Department budget last night. The basketball program made $9 million in profit, but all things considered, even after the massive SEC media payment, the overall profit was $5 million.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
I think the online chatter is usually a decent sample size for BBN in general. In this case, it's not just fanatics online, it's nationwide chatter on big media and cultural platforms.

Does the big brass read message boards? Probably not, but I don't think they have to. They know. They have more feelers and sources out there than any of us do.

Also, they may not put a lot of stock into any individual fan, message board, talking head, hot take, or viral video...but when they get a direct call from the big money folks mentioned in above posts, they probably would rather read rafters or listen to Cowherd.

You think we're upset, imagine giving big money, enough to have the contact info of big brass...whewwww weeeee...what we're saying is probably a reprieve.

Some ears are getting worn out right now rest assured.

In this day and age you pretty much have to keep an eye on what's going on with social media since there's a huge presence on there. Sandy Bell was monitoring these boards in the past for NCAA issues. I guarantee they have people who's job it is to monitor what's going on on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, etc.

Online opinion may have some effect but if you look at that photo of Mitch at the Calipari presser after the loss, it sure looks like he’d had enough of the Cal era before the internet weighed in.
I did not see this photo

He ain't wrong. This message board is still popular with a few hundred fans but in 2024, forums like this are pretty much extinct. Twitter and Instagram are popular but people need to be told over and over that it isn't real life. Despite this, a majority of BBN is clearly fed up and a large portion are done with Cal. But the question about online fans was asked and online fans being upset has no bearing on a future decision, esp. with Mitch who is old school and still thinks people still use email all the time as a form of communication.

I’m just one person and not a significant one
But he’s lost me for sure
I will not watch another game while he holds the title of coach
Wont even wear any gear…nothing
I’m done
I remember you and UKDon (?) having a lot of chats about UK hoops. Probably pre-Cal? At any rate, i KNOW you are a die hard fan and respect your comments completely. FWIW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT