Billy Donovan
Jay Wright
Danny Hurley
Scott Drew
Nate Oats
Bruce Pearl
Tang
Paris at South Carolina

I’d take any of these as an upgrade over Cal… if you can win at a smaller school UK sells itself we just need a damn coach that actually coaches!!
Numbers seven and eight on this list are insane. Number six on the list has gotten out of the first weekend of the tournament the same number of times as Cal this decade. I’m not too excited about number four either. I’m down with the other four on the list.

Reactions: TFCats11
Maybe the world has changed since 2009, but I doubt it......

More than the lure of the NBA, Wright said a change in how Villanova is treated would make him think twice about staying. When he turned down the Kentucky job in 2009, Wright said he didn't want to live in the fishbowl that job required. He likes the way Philadelphia sports exist. The city is big on college basketball but easily and happily diverted by pro sports.

That allows Wright to exist in relative anonymity, able to attend Phillies games or sit on his New Jersey beach with little more than a "Hey, Coach."

"There's a lot of great things about coaching at Villanova, but one that I really enjoy is during basketball season you're like a pro team," he said. "You're big time, but in the offseason there's so many good sports teams and happenings you get to blend in. I really, really enjoy that."

His is expensive I’m pretty sure
$18 million I believe. Coaches like that won't be considered if we are forced to payout the whole buyout of Cal as well in my opinion. Having to pay Cal $6 million a year, an $18 million buyout (is that one all at once?), and then at least another $6 million a year for Oats. I just can't see it happening after all the fuss over Cal's buyout.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Duke has a coach that had zero head coaching experience and they are headed to the sweet 16 and have the #1 recruiting class coming in next year. You get who you can get but you get this hack out of here at any cost and begin the steps of becoming KY basketball again.
They just did what they should have done and what we expect Cal to have done and nothing more. They took a team with superior talent and beat a 12 & 13 seed to get to the Sweet 16.

The major issue is that the UK admin has no vision. Mitch is the same clown who offered Gillispie before Calipari back in 2007. He's a play-it-safe guy who's immensely indecisive and I bet it takes him twenty five minutes to pick out a shirt from JC Penney.

They'll keep Cal around because it's the path of predictability where they can pretend that they're holding Cal accountable, but at the same time buy themselves time and not have to make a risky decision. Then Mitch can put all his chips into the "We are giving Coach Calipari more time to make this thing right. He understands what that means." They'll put the pressure on Calipari, but it will be a hollow threat, not unlike a teacher who threatens suspension but follows it up with a stern verbal warning that means nothing.

They'll kick the can down the street. Watch and see.

I feel attacked. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I think Cal only remains if there's a new year to year contract that eliminates the buyout. Not fan friendly but would be a good business decision. And Cal needs to provide an acceptable plan for winning basketball. Player retention from this year. Portal questions etc.

If we can't find a new coach, maybe Robic as an interim. I think there are tons of options that are being explored.

Following was posted on KSR board just now, take it for what you want. I don’t necessarily believe it but thought I’d share. Full quote below….

“Friend of mine who is very connected on the east coast got a text from a close friend… this friend is one of Jay Wright’s guys…

Apparently, Jay Wright received an inquiry about interest in the UK position…

If true it likely means the wheels are in motion for a change. Maybe not Jay, but if they are now asking around. He gone.“
As soon as I saw Jay doing March Madness commentary, I said, “If Cal screws the pooch this tournament, there’s UK’s next HC!”

It’s almost like he left Villanova to take a break before waiting for the moment to take the UK job once Cal was finished! You couldn’t have scripted a better best case scenario for everyone involved.

Reactions: TM2013 and BBUK
I was told this afternoon that Cal has reached out to his NBA guys to get funding from them to go towards NIL and to get some transfer portal guys for next season.

Cal is operating as if he will be back next season.
Cal doesn’t need their money, he needs them to produce college eligibility and suit up!

Reactions: BBUK
You make Brad Stevens , Billy Donovan and Jay Wright all say no.

Then you consider guys like Mark Few, Scott Drew, Bruce Pearl, etc.

All of those would be a grand slam replacement for Calipari.
I’ll call Sofia Vergera just to hear her say “No”, but I’ll just take the butcher’s word for it.

The 9-16 class was ranked #2..
It’s funny to me when people say # 2 classes it’s not like we’re are getting all quality we have to get quantity to get to that #2 . What is it like 7-8 guys to get to #2 ? I mean heck you or I could get the #2 class if we have to replace a whole team basically every year

Reactions: BBUK
Pretty sad KY stuck with a washed HOF Coach that can’t Coach and AD gives him a lottery jackpot to destroy the program but probably going to keep him another year.
That can’t be, and won’t be allowed to happen! Be patient, good news is getting worked out as we speak. UK will not miss a beat and will contend again as soon as next season.

Reactions: BBUK and bigbluedon
This fan base is humiliating themselves by throwing out names like Donovan,wright, Hurley,Drew and Stevens. There's zero chance any of those guys come here. Why would they? You are firing the top recruiter who just got a 3 seed lol. What do you think that sounds like to a coach considering if he should answer the phone .

Golden level is who they should shoot for.
And that top recruiter lost to a14 seed in the first round. Everyone Mitch calls will answer the phone. But those names mentioned above will decline if they are called, at least Stevens and Donavan will.

Reactions: TM2013
Seriously, why?

Concerned initially by the expectations. Not sure what to think with/ if he came on. I guess it would depend on the perks/ contract/ agreement(s), not real enamored with UK leadership decision-making and lack thereof.... (Just me and it doesn't matter what I think so...) But, thanks for asking, you seem a good one! Thanks again...

Mitch should have had an organic list of candidates from the day he was hired.

This is AD 101 stuff, not rocket science.
How do you know he doesn’t? You don’t nor does anyone else here that doesn’t like Mitch. Mitch is a good AD and knows the process. I am not fond of everything he has done recently but unless he lets Cal stay, I think we will be ok. If he doesn’t tell Cal to hit the bricks, there won’t be an athletic dept to burn down.

This fan base is humiliating themselves by throwing out names like Donovan,wright, Hurley,Drew and Stevens. There's zero chance any of those guys come here. Why would they? You are firing the top recruiter who just got a 3 seed lol. What do you think that sounds like to a coach considering if he should answer the phone .

Golden level is who they should shoot for.
Every elite coach looks at the Kentucky job as a chance to achieve all their career goals. They are amazed that Cal has been so terrible at such an accommodating job. Guys like Oats, Pearl, Smart, Golden, Drew, Lloyd, Otzelberger, Painter, etc would be licking their chops at the opportunity. All would be massive upgrades.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Duke has a coach that had zero head coaching experience and they are headed to the sweet 16 and have the #1 recruiting class coming in next year. You get who you can get but you get this hack out of here at any cost and begin the steps of becoming KY basketball again.
They also played two cupcakes, don't get me wrong, UK would probably lose to both of them, but its not like Duke beat good teams yet. They still can.

And that top recruiter lost to a14 seed in the first round. Everyone Mitch calls will answer the phone. But those names mentioned above will decline if they are called, at least Stevens and Donavan will.
Losing to a 14 seed to a coach is meaningless. It happens. We are on a decline but it will still be bad firing cal

Judging by your posting history you probably do believe that horseshit you posted
Go down the list and see how many NCAAT and Conference Tournament wins those coaches have the last 4 years. Your problem is you think because they put the HOF tag on him that he is God. In reality he is nothing but a egotistical used car salesman that is a terrible Coach.

Go down the list and see how many NCAAT and Conference Tournament wins those coaches have the last 4 years. Your problem is you think because they put the HOF tag on him that he is God. In reality he is nothing but a egotistical used car salesman that is a terrible Coach.
You don't know what I think. You can call him what you want. Doesn't bother me in the least. But I'd venture to say he's been more successful in his career than you have at yours. And that's with me saying I'm fine with him going if you can find a proven coach.

And they didn't just start playing basketball 4 years ago.

You don't know what I think. You can call him what you want. Doesn't bother me in the least. But I'd venture to say he's been more successful in his career than you have at yours. And that's with me saying I'm fine with him going if you can find a proven coach.

And they didn't just start playing basketball 4 years ago.
Well I can definitely say he has been overpaid at UK. And since you want to measure peckers, we can put up any amount of money you want in escrow and we can compare careers and net worth.

Well I can definitely say he has been overpaid at UK. And since you want to measure peckers, we can put up any amount of money you want in escrow and we can compare careers and net worth.
😂. I’d rather actually measure peckers.

And you’re the one talking about a dude who has won 800 games, took three schools to the final four, and won a national championship as well as being in a hall of fame. I’d venture to say he’s much better this job than you are at yours.

😂. I’d rather actually measure peckers.

And you’re the one talking about a dude who has won 800 games, took three schools to the final four, and won a national championship as well as being in a hall of fame. I’d venture to say he’s much better this job than you are at yours.
What has he done for UK lately? I know damn well he does better than your job at 7/11. Cmon big mouth, put your money where your mouth is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT