ADVERTISEMENT

One thing holding Mitch back says Pilgrim

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
Not sure if this was posted or not already but full quote below….

“On the administrative side, I've heard it's not as much a financial issue as it is a lack of clear-cut candidates you're certain will be upgrades over Coach Cal. If there was a guy Mitch Barnhart knew was a fit, he'd make a move. It just can't be an emotional decision without an answer you buy into completely with so much on the line.”

"They're tired of the underwhelming results," one source told KSR. "But if you move on, who do you go get? That's the question."

The major issue is that the UK admin has no vision. Mitch is the same clown who offered Gillispie before Calipari back in 2007. He's a play-it-safe guy who's immensely indecisive and I bet it takes him twenty five minutes to pick out a shirt from JC Penney.

They'll keep Cal around because it's the path of predictability where they can pretend that they're holding Cal accountable, but at the same time buy themselves time and not have to make a risky decision. Then Mitch can put all his chips into the "We are giving Coach Calipari more time to make this thing right. He understands what that means." They'll put the pressure on Calipari, but it will be a hollow threat, not unlike a teacher who threatens suspension but follows it up with a stern verbal warning that means nothing.

They'll kick the can down the street. Watch and see.

Last edited:
I mean from not likely to would happen…

Billy Donovan
Jay Wright
Danny Hurley
Scott Drew
Nate Oats
Bruce Pearl
Tang
Paris at South Carolina

I’d take any of these as an upgrade over Cal… if you can win at a smaller school UK sells itself we just need a damn coach that actually coaches!!

I don't buy that. So they are saying it's better to stay with the status quo and accept 10 loss seasons and winless NCAA & SEC Tournaments? That is what you are going to get and the ceiling with CCC now. Mitch too lazy to look for any promising up and comers. Needs to leave the hiring to a search committee and be far away from the process.

Last edited:
I mean from not likely to would happen…

Billy Donovan
Jay Wright
Danny Hurley
Scott Drew
Nate Oats
Bruce Pearl
Tang
Paris at South Carolina

I’d take any of these as an upgrade over Cal… if you can win at a smaller school UK sells itself we just need a damn coach that actually coaches!!
If you can get any of the first 4, then make a move. None of the last 4 are an upgrade.

Duke has a coach that had zero head coaching experience and they are headed to the sweet 16 and have the #1 recruiting class coming in next year. You get who you can get but you get this hack out of here at any cost and begin the steps of becoming KY basketball again.

The major issue is that the UK admin has no vision. Mitch is the same clown who offered Gillispie before Calipari back in 2007. He's a play-it-safe guy who's immensely indecisive and I bet it takes him twenty five minutes to pick out a shirt from JC Penny.

They'll keep Cal around because it's the path of predictability where they can pretend that they're holding Cal accountable, but at the same time buy themselves time and not have to make a risky decision. Then Mitch can put all his chips into the "We are giving Coach Calipari more time to make this thing right. He understands what that means." They'll put the pressure on Calipari, but it will be a hollow threat, not unlike a teacher who threatens suspension but follows it up with a stern verbal warning that means nothing.

They'll kick the can down the street. Watch and see.
I'm not defending Gillispie by any means, but hiring Cal would have given us the Derek Rose fiasco and I'm not sure if the ncaa would've been as lenient with us.

Reactions: Titpwhami2014

“On the administrative side, I've heard it's not as much a financial issue as it is a lack of clear-cut candidates you're certain will be upgrades over Coach Cal. If there was a guy Mitch Barnhart knew was a fit, he'd make a move. It just can't be an emotional decision without an answer you buy into completely with so much on the line.”

"They're tired of the underwhelming results," one source told KSR. "But if you move on, who do you go get? That's the question."
You won’t know until you offer someone like Hurley the job. Make an offer that will make the top guys think. Go after every big name. Ask Few, ask them all. Figure it out Mitch, this is your legacy now. Cal let you down big time but that contract you gave him caused a lot of this.

Sean Miller would win here if you strike out on all the obvious ppl. It would like be similar to Sampson getting caught up and then remaking his career at Houston. But Miller can coach and his family wouldn’t have tk move far at all
I'm pretty sure he also got cleared of any violations, I could be wrong though. He would be a good fall back if the other options don't work out for sure.

Mitch canned Elzy so there’s that.

Obviously, she did a much worse job than Cal so the move couldn’t really be questioned. And I’m betting the new hire for the women will bea good one.

Just because the portal opens soon should not be a factor. The better players in the portal do not have to be in a hurry.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
People can say all they want that Cal is the only guy who can get the job done at Kentucky. But what about Duke? What about UNC? How are their seasons going with new coaches? They gambled on guys and now look at both teams.
Good comment.

Reactions: d2atTech
Duke has a coach that had zero head coaching experience and they are headed to the sweet 16 and have the #1 recruiting class coming in next year. You get who you can get but you get this hack out of here at any cost and begin the steps of becoming KY basketball again.
I agreed with this to a point. The deference is they have K in the background as a mentor. We wouldn’t have that. Part of me wants Golden and just hire a seasoned assistant that can be a mentor. That’s a big risk though.

Reactions: BigBlueTom1
Barnhart is in quite a pickle. Lots of good coaches signed extensions which makes Cal’s buyout and theirs untenable. That marks several top level coaches out. I don’t think he pulls the trigger on a young up and coming coach (Golden, Iowa St coach) that has proven nothing over a hall of fame coach. It’s career suicide if he does that and the new coach flames out and Cal is successful somewhere else. Best we can hope for is Cal takes the Ambassador role, joins the coaching search and wait until the end of the tournament and try to pry someone away like Zona’s coach.

Cal will get done this next time sound.

I don’t understand why he won’t pull the trigger, if they wait until next season the same exact candidates will be available. Sounds like Mitch doesn’t have the nuts to do it.
I’ve said this in other threads but fits here as well. If Mitch wants to fire him, he needs to fire him now. He has a much weaker recruiting class for 24 than he will in 25. Do not let him get AJ and Caleb Wilson type prospects in 25 with Quaintance a guarantee to do multiple years. There’s a very real chance that 25 roster would have 3 top 10 picks on it.

Mitch can not let it get that far if he wants to fire him. Do it now or you’re going to lock yourself up through March of 26 effectively.

So Barney doesn't think Drew is an upgrade at this point?

Barney is a moron. There are tons of upgrades.
Who says we get Drew? What proof do you have that Drew would make the move? I totally understand if this is the sticking point. We can’t make a change just for the sake of change or we will be doing it again 3 years.

This is a lot like job hunting. If I have a job then I’m gonna line up my next employer before I walk in and quit the one I have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT