ADVERTISEMENT

***** Official St. Joe's vs Kentucky Game Thread *****

Nice to forget about the defense that Shep played in overtime. Obviously, Shep didn't have his typical game, but he spent most of the night not looking for his shot instead of forcing bad shots.
But again, 0/4/4 and you’re praising him. We won and Wagner had a great game and you can’t even admit that. That’s a bias.

Reactions: gharding07
Credit to St. Joes. They played very well. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them make noise in their conference. Maybe it was just tonight but they played well. All that matters is we won. Walls team beat Miami OH on a last second jumper. That was like the 3rd game too.
F2M, sorry if I came of sounding salty but it's just frustrating. It's one thing to lose to Kansas in an exciting game but tonight was just more of the same Calipari coaching BS IMO.

Hey its better than a blowout. Wed have learned far less is this was a 30pt beating.

Everyone on the team just got a taste of what college ball is like. Guys like Edwards and other highly touted recruits likely coasted their entire basketball careers on their immense talents.

This was a great reminder that even St. Joe's, a team that probably won't make the tournament, can hand you a beating. Every team is going to have a few guys who can make you look silly if you're not bringing it.

Hopefully this is one of those wakeup calls.
I wouldn't say they won't make the tournament just yet. Their guards looked legit and they played very good defense on our highly rated guards. They might be this year's Cinderella. Hopefully their bad loss was just a fluke because of really bad shooting. We've been there and done that. Would be nice if this ends up a quality win by year's end.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Credit to St. Joes. They played very well. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them make noise in their conference. Maybe it was just tonight but they played well. All that matters is we won. Walls team beat Miami OH on a last second jumper. That was like the 3rd game too.

It was walls first game I believe and 2nd regular season game.

We are a team with a number of quick players. I've seen it before everywhere, not just here at Kentucky ... it has always befuddled me how quick players often struggle to guard quick players.

STJ had a number of quick players that learned to play on the playgrounds of the bigger cities. They were very quick and never intimated. They reminded me of ST PETERS. If STJ shoots well, they can be trouble for ANYBODY in the country ... no question !!!

Reactions: Fox2monk
Don't forget Sheppard had 5 steals also. He wasn't looking for his shot or forcing it this game. Maybe trying to help others who were struggling to get their confidence up.
It is amazing the things people will do to prop up someone who simply hasn't earned it. You are correct about Shep. No one will ever accuse him of being selfish which can't said about the other guy. He would have kept shooting no matter how many shots he missed.

• Haha
Reactions: gharding07
F2M, sorry if I came of sounding salty but it's just frustrating. It's one thing to lose to Kansas in an exciting game but tonight was just more of the same Calipari coaching BS IMO.
I get it, I about pulled my hair out but we are still young and we won. That’s all that matters. Nobody will remember this game in March expect for we won.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
The continuing Cal motto...

Just after "Players First"...(Of course...)

00f1b102ffc132c0cc4b3079dcdb4207.jpg

I wouldn't say they won't make the tournament just yet. Their guards looked legit and they played very good defense on our highly rated guards. They might be this year's Cinderella. Hopefully their bad loss was just a fluke because of really bad shooting. We've been there and done that. Would be nice if this ends up a quality win by year's end.

I did kind of pause when I wrote that, thinking "well a top100ish kenpom school will likely have about as good as any team in their conference to win it"

So maybe they will. You just hope the hot shooting wasn't a fluke tonight due to playing in Rupp, where fans don't bring energy, they just bring various toppings for their soft serve cones.

Reactions: KyCatFan
Sheppard had 0/4/4 for all those shitting on Wagner. I love Sheppard and he contributed to the win still but come on. Wagner was 7/17 and Mitchell was 7/15. Would I have loved Wagner to be about 9-10/17? Yeah but he got fouled a couple times and had 3 layups barely miss that led to dunks. We still got buckets because of his driving.
And 22 points. Also 6 assists. People are acting like he had his head up his ass tonight. He didn't.

It is amazing the things people will do to prop up someone who simply hasn't earned it. You are correct about Shep. No one will ever accuse him of being selfish which can't said about the other guy. He would have kept shooting no matter how many shots he missed.
What exactly does he have to do to earn your praise?

My point is that Wagner shouldn't have been on the court at the end of regulation and he darn well shouldn't have taken the final shot.

Wagner played well enough that this wasn't the problem. The problem was NOT having Shep on the floor. Maybe that means Wagner isn't in at the end.. maybe it means someone else isn't.

I also didn't HATE that DJ tried to take the game winner, even if it wasn't the best shot. It was a show of confidence and it didn't cost us a win.

Wagner played well enough that this wasn't the problem. The problem was NOT having Shep on the floor. Maybe that means Wagner isn't in at the end.. maybe it means someone else isn't.

I also didn't HATE that DJ tried to take the game winner, even if it wasn't the best shot. It was a show of confidence and it didn't cost us a win.
Me either because that exact play led to 3 Mitchell dunks.

positive though, Arkansas and Michigan state lost to the good mid major team that came to their house, Kentucky gritted out a win and won a against a good now major

That's fine. But to act like we're searching for reasons to compliment him is ridiculous. They're completely separate issues.
We can just agree to disagree. As I posted during the game, I will give compliments to Wagner when he earns them. When he made a great pass to Reeves for a made 3, I complimented him because I figured he would go hard to the basket and miss it. However, I am not going to act like he has become a dependable scorer because he finally scored more than 9 points.

He shouldn’t be taking the final shot I agree, but his defense for a period on time on number 2 was good tonight and he needed to guard him late
If he is on the court for defensive purposes, that isn't a bad strategy However, when we had the ball for the final shot, he should have been on the bench for a shooter.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
If he is on the court for defensive purposes, that isn't a bad strategy However, when we had the ball for the final shot, he should have been on the bench for a shooter.
That I can see should of done a Wagner for reeves swap and let Sheppard or dilly make a play, Wagner took that off balance mid range shot which had no chance of going in at all

That I can see should of done a Wagner for reeves swap and let Sheppard or dilly make a play, Wagner took that off balance mid range shot which had no chance of going in at all
That is my biggest complaint with him. He drives into the defense to throw up left-hand shots that have very little chance of going in.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT