ADVERTISEMENT

Lyon vs Harlan; WKY vs EKY for all the marbles.

Being from Ashland and now living around Columbus Ohio everyone here thinks Kentucky is the south.
I tell (out-of-state) people that Kentucky isn't exactly the part of the South. South of I-64 and west of I-75, yeah, that is pretty much the north end of the Deep South. But north of I-64 and west of I-75 is pretty much Midwest. And everything east of I-75 excepting Campbell and Kenton counties is Appalachia, which along with eastern Tennessee, West Virginia, and western Virginia and North Carolina, is a culture unto itself.

I would say most Kentuckians would agree to this map as being correct as to where they consider where they live, what do y'all think?
EUAY4TdcydQRfsFSvbeIgXlyY4hkNfiNbnTYzwMvR5K4d1k0f0e2ZwDmc1xnoMwXo88JWLfphM2VJDYMCoyBj1tCLDeTPBrLC3EpHSru7UN82-mBozhRWB3QQ3VNnvKz1w=s0-d
I can’t agree with North Central. It’s too spread out. Covington and Owensboro in the same region?

This doesn’t happen often in the KY S16.

Being from WKY I have to pull for Perry and Lyon Co. but man. It’s cool to see Harlan in the final. That’s a county that has a lot of pride in KY.

Tbh I’m happy no matter who wins. Both counties are rural hearts of the Commonwealth.
"For all the marbles" great antique game my father was really good playing marbles man how times have change

"For all the marbles# great antique game my father was really good playing marbles man how times have change
I used to have a little cloth pouch that i kept mine in a few cat eyes and a big steel one i used for the shooter lol long time ago

I tell (out-of-state) people that Kentucky isn't exactly the part of the South. South of I-64 and west of I-75, yeah, that is pretty much the north end of the Deep South. But north of I-64 and west of I-75 is pretty much Midwest. And everything east of I-75 excepting Campbell and Kenton counties is Appalachia, which along with eastern Tennessee, West Virginia, and western Virginia and North Carolina, is a culture unto itself.
When I was in high school (80’s) the Courier Journal did a very interesting article titled “Is Kentucky Southern?”.
The conclusion, was that the dividing line actually cuts through KY, I think with those counties bordering the Ohio River (maybe a few others between Lex and Cincy) not as Southern.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Officials are so predictable.

Lyon County up 36-27 holding for the last 1:30 for the final shot, at about 32 seconds, ref calls a push off to give Harlan the ball and then Harlan hits a three at the end to make it 36-30. Big swing. Could've been an 11 or 12 point halftime lead and now it's six.

Refs will always blow the whistle
- When their whistle hasn't been heard in awhile and stall ball is occurring
- Any type of contesting of a shot on a breakaway (see Samford/Kansas game)
- Call a foul if teams have been aggressive three or four trips down the court- to slow it down

They love momentum calls.

Reactions: Stevo1951
Lyon County up 4 with 25 seconds left, going to the line. Great game.

Was tied going into fourth.

Both teams were so good. What a game.

Single A school wins the whole thing.

For those pining for the class system- stick that in your pipe.

Perry in the tournament in general couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door, but completely dominated just the same. Probably 20-25. I would have given the MVP to Noah of Harlan.
Great game. Congratulations to both teams. Lyon had the better overall team. 5 guys who can all dribble and shoot. Can’t double anyone. Allowed Perry to get to play 1 on 1 most of the night and he played his best game of the tourney. Felt like Harlan County had the better player in Noah. He was double and triple teamed the entire game. He has a really good D-1 caliber guard with him but not near the supporting cast of Perry.

As an old 13th region guy, I do hate that Harlan had to play 3 games in a 24 hour span with only 3 hours between press conferences and warmups tonight. It showed in their legs. It’s terrible that every year, the bottom half of the bracket has to play 4 games in 3 days while the top half gets to play 4 in 4. No reason the final shouldn’t be on Sunday or start the tourney earlier in the week to allow both teams to rest before the final.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT