ADVERTISEMENT

***** Official St. Joe's vs Kentucky Game Thread *****

Mi
Very happy to get the win. Obviously should not have been this close. Was more frustrated with Adou than anyone. Missed key FTs down the stretch of regulation that could have iced it. Doesn't shoot well in general. He's not all that quick. Much rather see Edwards at the 3/4 than him. Edwards was much better than him tonight.
Mitchell will play 4, when we get a big, I think, but Bradshaw might play some 4 too

22/6/3. Ball don't lie.

MAKING UP WHAT WHEN THE STATS SAY YOU ARE WRONG! Take 22 points away off the score....do we win? Yes or no? It really is that simple.
How many shots did he take to get those 22 points? What was his shoot ng to percentage. If you are going to provide stats, provide them all.

He was beat off the dribble a couple times and lost his guy on some bad gambles. It'll be okay, he's human lol. Some of you guys would cut your testicles off for him I think.

It's because the offense looks so much better when he comes in, and sure enough he not only seals the game in that end of the floor, but he makes heady plays on defense. He rebounds. He's likely not missing 50% of free throws.

Some of these guys swing a little far into the "athlete" side. Shep is a basketball player first. Got to play those guys.

These guys need to start putting up a hundred freebies a day, missing to many in critical times! A good win though! This will help more than a 30 point blowout!

Reactions: megablue
Everybody contributed tonight.
Everybody seemed to play well, but hurt the team some, too.
Nobody played a perfect game.
They are all humans.
Credit to STJ for bringing it, taking us to the wire, and MAKING us win it.

No I wouldn’t have, him and Edwards played well. We need them and they are coming along. Edwards hit a clutch 3 late. We would have won in regulation had our Sophomore hit his FT’s. We would have lost because we don’t play team defense. No other reason. That wouldn’t take away how they played most of the night.
Other than missing an easy dunk, Edwards played better. However, that has nothing to do with putting Wagner a non-shooter on the court for a game winning shot attempt. You don't have to agree with me, but that strategy will cost us more games than it wins.

I’m pretty sure he did, I could be wrong, when I watch the replay tomorrow I will listen for is specifically

That to me says that Cal (and maybe Bradshaw) are being extra cautious.

I know every body is different. But foot surgery back in June shouldn't be day to day now. It's either fine more or less, or there's bigger issues happening. Could be wrong. Hope I am and hope he plays Friday. But i guess even that was a rumor..

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
How many shots did he take to get those 22 points? What was his shoot ng to percentage. If you are going to provide stats, provide them all.
Field goals33 by 6433/64
42.7Field goal %51.6
15 by 3715/373 pointers12 by 2512/25
40.5Three point %48.0
9 by 129/12Free throws18 by 2718/27
75.0Free throw %66.7
42Total rebounds37
14Offensive Rebounds6
28Defensive rebounds31
20Assists24
3Blocks8
5Steals12
14Turnovers9
21Fouls - Personal10

I guess you have forgotten about the 1 on 3 layup attempt that he tried. You guys so desperately want Wagner to do well, you are just making up crap. At the end of regulations, we should have had our shooters on the court. Cal was willing to lose this game in an attempt to give something positive to say about Wagner.
I agree with that but maybe his motivation is to build him up by plus we need ot exp

Sheppard had 0/4/4 for all those shitting on Wagner. I love Sheppard and he contributed to the win still but come on. Wagner was 7/17 and Mitchell was 7/15. Would I have loved Wagner to be about 9-10/17? Yeah but he got fouled a couple times and had 3 layups barely miss that led to dunks. We still got buckets because of his driving.

Last edited:
I agree with that but maybe his motivation is to build him up by plus we need ot exp
There isn't a single player on this team bigger than the team. It isn't smart coaching to risk losing a game just to make a player feel good.

Reactions: ruppcat
That to me says that Cal (and maybe Bradshaw) are being extra cautious.

I know every body is different. But foot surgery back in June shouldn't be day to day now. It's either fine more or less, or there's bigger issues happening. Could be wrong. Hope I am and hope he plays Friday. But i guess even that was a rumor..
I broke my foot in high school, I had a jones fracture and I rushed the come back and I struggled my junior year because of it. Your foot just never feels fully healthy with a jones fracture, I’m not sure that’s what Bradshaw has at all. But given the timeline he should be back by now, I get being curious because with foot injuries your foot just feels weird and like something is gonna pop, but he should be back by now

Field goals33 by 6433/64
42.7Field goal %51.6
15 by 3715/373 pointers12 by 2512/25
40.5Three point %48.0
9 by 129/12Free throws18 by 2718/27
75.0Free throw %66.7
42Total rebounds37
14Offensive Rebounds6
28Defensive rebounds31
20Assists24
3Blocks8
5Steals12
14Turnovers9
21Fouls - Personal10
we definitely going to grt better on the offense boards but our free shooting has to be better. I would like to see us in the 72-75% range

Everybody contributed tonight.
Everybody seemed to play well, but hurt the team some, too.
Nobody played a perfect game.
They are all humans.
Credit to STJ for bringing it, taking us to the wire, and MAKING us win it.

Hey its better than a blowout. Wed have learned far less is this was a 30pt beating.

Everyone on the team just got a taste of what college ball is like. Guys like Edwards and other highly touted recruits likely coasted their entire basketball careers on their immense talents.

This was a great reminder that even St. Joe's, a team that probably won't make the tournament, can hand you a beating. Every team is going to have a few guys who can make you look silly if you're not bringing it.

Hopefully this is one of those wakeup calls.

I broke my foot in high school, I had a jones fracture and I rushed the come back and I struggled my junior year because of it. Your foot just never feels fully healthy with a jones fracture, I’m not sure that’s what Bradshaw has at all. But given the timeline he should be back by now, I get being curious because with foot injuries your foot just feels weird and like something is gonna pop, but he should be back by now

He apparently thought he'd be back in a month to 6 weeks.. not 4 to 6 months. This Friday would put it at 5 months and change.

So maybe it is being cautious. But we really need a big, and we need them asap.

Defense. We have huge strides to make on defense. We have guys simply getting lost We can’t defend the three. 88 pts is far too many to give up to a team if that caliber. Also we need more conditioning work. Too many tongues hanging out in the end. We also have a couple guys playing hero instead of using the team to get the job done.

No more bashing Wagner. He seemed most determined on defense. No more crying about scoring and who is playing minutes based on shooting. If we don’t laser focus on defense we have a long road coming

Now that said, this was a very experienced team. We got snookered a bunch. Good learning experience for our guys.

There isn't a single player on this team bigger than the team. It isn't smart coaching to risk losing a game just to make a player feel good.
That doesn't make him more important its given room to grow

Sheppard had 0/4/4 for all those shitting on Wagner. I love Sheppard and he contributed to the win still but come on. Wagner was 7/17 and Mitchell was 7/15.
Don't forget Sheppard had 5 steals also. He wasn't looking for his shot or forcing it this game. Maybe trying to help others who were struggling to get their confidence up.

Sheppard had 0/4/4 for all those shitting on Wagner. I love Sheppard and he contributed to the win still but come on. Wagner was 7/17 and Mitchell was 7/15.
Nice to forget about the defense that Shep played in overtime. Obviously, Shep didn't have his typical game, but he spent most of the night not looking for his shot instead of forcing bad shots.

I agree but how many 5* does it take to beat a team like StJ AT HOME without going into OT?
Credit to St. Joes. They played very well. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them make noise in their conference. Maybe it was just tonight but they played well. All that matters is we won. Walls team beat Miami OH on a last second jumper. That was like the 3rd game too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT