ADVERTISEMENT

My take on Murray's decision

Meyer was wrong about Brown was he not? But if he is right, then I'm gonna have to change my thoughts about there possibly being a change in the recruiting world, regarding Cal. I've mostly accepted the explanations of the different guys we missed on, and the possible reasons behind their picking other schools. However, if Murray becomes the latest in that group to spurn us, then I think we have to consider something else is going on. And I know that in general we still have a very good class coming in, so I am not saying Cal laid an egg this year. But given the number of departures, and the openings we had, it's just been very odd to miss on so many of these kids. I talked myself into thinking he can't possibly pick Oregon over us, despite what happened in April, and now that Meyer is saying that's what he's been told, I'm bracing myself for yet another disappointment. Again, I know that each individual case is different and there are some valid reasons for each player committing elsewhere, but losing another will really hurt. I just have to think there might be a change happening in the recruiting world. That said, if he picks us, scratch all that, and it's all good again. :smiley:

There were some issues with two of the most heralded players; Newman, and Brown. They were NOT going to attend the same school. Brown thought Newman was UK bound, and while it might not have been vice versa since no one knew what Brown was gonna do, it became a wedge nonetheless.
And then, there was an issue with Zimmerman. Calipari rubs some with high grit, and he knows when he does it, and that for a purpose. Some shouldn't come to UK, and when Mom bowed her back, Stevie said "yes ma'am". Cal would never say that, nor would she, but............
We missed on Ingram, and that was hurtful, but predicted. Free tobacco.
Twenty minutes court time hurt, for sure, especially for "the man". Both Brown and Newman are "the man". I told some of you that, via messages off this site, way back when.
So it was, and is, an unusual year. It happens, and sometimes it becomes a cyclical thing. By the way, Antigua leaving, or Slice, not much downside. If I could help Orlando in South Florida, I will. He is one helluva great guy and totally genuine. He was Maggard's damn near daily source of information. Been there, heard it, lived it. So much couldn't be said back then, but it's true. Jason knows and just might chime in.

Last edited:
I hope he picks us, I hate these long drawn out guessing scenarios, where will he go, just pick and get it over with, I have way to much gray hair[winking]

One possible positive in this one is that in the article Meyer tweeted recently, it said that the Oregon source felt confident due to relationships he had with another Duck player and an asst coach I think. But in a recent comment from Murray's father, he said that the decision they will make is about the long term effect, which sounds like the relationship angle might not be the determining factor. The article also said Murray liked the coaches record of developing guards, but of course Cal's record is far better in that respect, so.....

I'm hoping it's a situation where the Murray's had every intention of picking Oregon until the visit and talk with Cal, and now they are leaning our way, but haven't yet indicated that to Oregon. That could be behind their still being confident.

Could someone link the article Meyer tweeted that everyone keeps referring to. I've looked & looked on his twitter page & cannot find it

If Murray doesn't choose UK I think it's just a case of getting involved too late.

Great post. I've thought the same, but haven't seen him as much as you. Man, I love this kids poise, long shot, handle in traffic, and finish in the trees with finesse and touch. So this day has mostly come and gone, and I still think he is UK's to lose. Meyer may be right about him being assured of an Oregon commit, but I don't travel in that circle. Just as an aside, I've seen him on television only, and three times that way. See if you agree.....Sidney Moncrief reincarnated.

Wow that's a name I haven't heard in a while. He was a beast for Eddie Sutton when he was at Arkansas. I remember the Bucks always losing to the Celtics and Moncrief was their best player skill wise I'd say yes that Murray is a lot like him but no on his D. But you can't honestly tell a whole lot about a kids D in HS. Both about the same size and Murray sees the floor very well. One thing that has happened to Murray in the last year is that his handle has cleaned up a bit but it's not Ulis good by no means but addequate for a pg in college. His outside shot was hit and miss and his senior yr it has gotten very consistent (sign of a mature game) he is a very good passer and one thing that I noticed he had a tendency to do was go to the corner hash and start the offense from an angle instead of straight away top of the key. He was able to get some of those sweeping layups that he never missed on and tore you up that way. He also hit a lot of midrange shots as well and is excellent at hitting shots on the run which I love in a guard as it's very difficult to do compared to set shots which most players shoot.

Over all I guess his flaws would be he lacks elite athleticism and is not a lock down defender (unlike Moncrief). But it's not like he is terrible at either. It's like saying Trump isn't as rich as a Bill Gates. I do think he has a better future as a 2 than a pg because of his ability to score the ball and make sound decisions from the position in which to pass/ penetrate/ penetrate lob/ shoot the midrange or long ball. I actually want to see him contain Ulis on D, see if he is able to stay in front of quick small guards. I think it would help him a lot to practice against him (also for Briscoe as well) and get that experience like Andrew got this past year. Andrew got much better playing against small guards and he was atrocious his freshmen year.

I had a write up after watching some ball over a couple of days at the hoopfest and I had Skal, Newman and Murray as being the best of the best. Still stand by that today and their was a lot of talent their.

A selling point for Cal? The triplets: Moncrief/Delph/Brewer. Those three wreaked havoc on all comers, and all at about 6'3, and all on the court at the same time. I know, Ulis ain't 6'3, but there still is a point to be made.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBUK
Dave, I hope you are correct. I'm 100% behind Murray until I hear something from him. I'm hoping his dad will make the best choice for his future and see the road to the NBA goes through UK.

I believe there is a more recent comparison Cal could, and probably has, used: Illinois, 2005: Dee Brown (5'11') Deron Williams (6'3'') and Luther Head (6'3'') That trio, and a couple of serviceable inside players, no where near as talented as Skal, Poythress and Lee, got to the final game. Without a massive cheating scheme keeping UNC-CHeat's entire line-up eligible, they win it all.

Got to the title game with only one loss iirc.

Stupid is what stupid said............ Maker staying in school so its Murray , and that's the only reason. Maker will be a top 3 NBA draft pick ...DA Murray wont

Maker is the highest rated player that I have personally seen that I and many others who have seen in person have almost all said "not so sure at this stage in his game"

He is by far one of the all time youtube hi-light sensations, during games he floats the perimeter and against good competition in the paint cannot come close to holding his own.

No doubt he has special skills for a kid this size, but he would not be close to a program changer this year, especially for half a season.

He needs a lot of work positioning, when and where to attack, as well as adding size and strength.

With the right coaching he can be very solid in a year or two.

As of today, just a highlight video sensation for many who have never seen him play.

For this coming season Murray is a way bigger get. IMO

The argument for Oregon based on Murray's buddy playing there holds little merit imo....his buddy probably wasnt afforded the luxery of having a UK offer....Murray has that offer and thats gonna be hard to turn down

Maker is the highest rated player that I have personally seen that I and many others who have seen in person have almost all said "not so sure at this stage in his game"

He is by far one of the all time youtube hi-light sensations, during games he floats the perimeter and against good competition in the paint cannot come close to holding his own.

No doubt he has special skills for a kid this size, but he would not be close to a program changer this year, especially for half a season.

He needs a lot of work positioning, when and where to attack, as well as adding size and strength.

With the right coaching he can be very solid in a year or two.

As of today, just a highlight video sensation for many who have never seen him play.

For this coming season Murray is a way bigger get. IMO

That's my take too. I posted, on here, some six months ago that he (Maker) wasn't ready for a big time college program, and got scolded by those who relied on highlight reels. Couple of things: He needs to add weight and upper body strength. He needs to not be overly amorous with his deep shot, and the biggest thing in my mind is that he needs to make better decisions with the ball. He'll benefit from an extra year of high school, I think.

Reactions: brianpoe
Great post. I've thought the same, but haven't seen him as much as you. Man, I love this kids poise, long shot, handle in traffic, and finish in the trees with finesse and touch. So this day has mostly come and gone, and I still think he is UK's to lose. Meyer may be right about him being assured of an Oregon commit, but I don't travel in that circle. Just as an aside, I've seen him on television only, and three times that way. See if you agree.....Sidney Moncrief reincarnated.
I have no inside information, don't know where Murray will go. But he has said that he wants to make the best choice for his own future. That's Lexington, clearly. And since Calipari missed on some others, there is a lot of playing time available at Kentucky this year. So my spidey senses tell me Murray will pick Kentucky. Any other decision will surprise me.

I have no inside information, don't know where Murray will go. But he has said that he wants to make the best choice for his own future. That's Lexington, clearly. And since Calipari missed on some others, there is a lot of playing time available at Kentucky this year. So my spidey senses tell me Murray will pick Kentucky. Any other decision will surprise me.
I agree with this and it SHOULD add up to UK, however, with the way this recruiting season has gone I would not be surprised to see him land somewhere else. Reminds me a lot of the Darius Rice recruitment where suddenly he chose Miami after a long, drawn out recruitment.

Murray is NOT going to play in the FIBA U19 games for Canada. Instead, he is staying in Canada and will practice with the Canadian entry in the Pan American games, which Canada is hosting. The two week event starts July 10, but the mens basketball tourney doesn't start until the 21st.

I don't know what that means as far as when he will commit and what it means regarding academic qualification, but I'm trying to find out. It still could be he will commit before June 27. The PanAm games have no age limit, and it's hoped that Wiggins will anchor the Canadian team. It could be that Murray won't even make the team. Have some feelers out.

Last edited:
I agree with this and it SHOULD add up to UK, however, with the way this recruiting season has gone I would not be surprised to see him land somewhere else. Reminds me a lot of the Darius Rice recruitment where suddenly he chose Miami after a long, drawn out recruitment.
Murray's decision has nothing whatsoever to do with any other player's decision. That imaginary connection only exists in the minds of some paranoid fans. Murray will pick the situation that, he believes, works best for his future. He is not concerned about other players' futures. He and his father have said exactly that. In my mind, that means Lexington. Unfortunately, I don't get to make the decision.

Murray is NOT going to play in the FIBA U19 games for Canada. Instead, he is staying in Canada and will practice with the Canadian entry in the Pan American games, which Canada is hosting. The two week event starts July 10, but the mens basketball tourney doesn't start until the 21st.

I don't know what that means as far as when he will commit and what it means regarding academic qualification, but I'm trying to find out. It still could be he will commit before June 27. The PanAm games have no age limit, and it's hoped that Wiggins will anchor the Canadian team. It could be that Murray won't even make the team. Have some feelers out.

Thanks for the update Dave

who in the hell could they possibly add at this point that would be of any impact next season on the wing?
Maverick Rowan, a 6'7 wing, yesterday made his intent to reclassify to '15 firm. Though UK is not thought to be in his planning, the reclassification would be interesting and now worth a look.

I'm still just scratching my head. Those who are playing off what's happened with the last 5-6 recruits are crazy.

Something doesn't smell right. You don't go from basically getting whoever you want to miss after miss...and not to blue bloods but UNLV, Miss. St., Cal, & Oregon. It's just insane!!

I'm not buying the notion that "This group was just a different bunch of kids." I'm to the point of having the ridiculous thought that a 3rd party with a lot of money, who has it in for Coach Cal, is funneling money or making lofty promises to kids if they'll go somewhere else...lol. Crazy I know....but I've never seen the likes of top notch recruits going to Elmer Fudd programs.

BREAKING: 6'0" Point Guard Brad Calipari is re-reclassifying to the 2015 class and is expected to join the Kentucky Wildcats.

4_2917163.jpg

Reactions: Wildcat134
I'm still just scratching my head. Those who are playing off what's happened with the last 5-6 recruits are crazy.

Something doesn't smell right. You don't go from basically getting whoever you want to miss after miss...and not to blue bloods but UNLV, Miss. St., Cal, & Oregon. It's just insane!!

I'm not buying the notion that "This group was just a different bunch of kids." I'm to the point of having the ridiculous thought that a 3rd party with a lot of money, who has it in for Coach Cal, is funneling money or making lofty promises to kids if they'll go somewhere else...lol. Crazy I know....but I've never seen the likes of top notch recruits going to Elmer Fudd programs.
I totally agree

Those in the camp that think we ware gonna be ok even if we lose out on Murray because we have Matthews and Mulder are gonna be in for a very rude awakening, this one hurts BIG! I'm still in total bewilderment over our recruiting misses this spring/summer!

Maverick Rowan, a 6'7 wing, yesterday made his intent to reclassify to '15 firm. Though UK is not thought to be in his planning, the reclassification would be interesting and now worth a look.

Maverick, huh? Does Goose Givins have any eligibility left? What a tandem that would be!

Those in the camp that think we ware gonna be ok even if we lose out on Murray because we have Matthews and Mulder are gonna be in for a very rude awakening, this one hurts BIG! I'm still in total bewilderment over our recruiting misses this spring/summer!

maybe you will be in for a pleasant surprise

Reactions: jarms24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT