ADVERTISEMENT

My take on Murray's decision

davekersey

Junior
Oct 10, 2007
Naples, Florida
It's gonna be either Oregon or UK. Duh.

On another board, here's what I posted this morning concerning when and which:

Further clarification: If Jamal plays for his country in the FIBA U19 World Championships, to be held in Greece starting June 27th and ending July 5th, then it's believed he will announce his college decision before June 27. I am led to believe he intends to make the trip overseas but needs to shore up the last bit of academics in order to get the reclassification done and eligibility done. That should come any day now, and since the Canadian team will depart for Europe next week, well, time is short. That's why I was told that as soon as he gets qualified, he'll declare.

BTW, the American team, which includes Brashcoe, I mean Briscoe, leaves for Greece this coming Sunday, the 21st.

He could make the trip to Greece, then immediately afterwards enroll in the second summer school session at the college of his choice. He wouldn't have to take college classes if he is already "legal", but why not? I mean, you're there, so take some classes. That's what most do.

I expect him to qualify, reclassify, and be a UK Wildcat, and pretty soon.

It's gonna be either Oregon or UK. Duh.

On another board, here's what I posted this morning concerning when and which:

Further clarification: If Jamal plays for his country in the FIBA U19 World Championships, to be held in Greece starting June 27th and ending July 5th, then it's believed he will announce his college decision before June 27. I am led to believe he intends to make the trip overseas but needs to shore up the last bit of academics in order to get the reclassification done and eligibility done. That should come any day now, and since the Canadian team will depart for Europe next week, well, time is short. That's why I was told that as soon as he gets qualified, he'll declare.

BTW, the American team, which includes Brashcoe, I mean Briscoe, leaves for Greece this coming Sunday, the 21st.

He could make the trip to Greece, then immediately afterwards enroll in the second summer school session at the college of his choice. He wouldn't have to take college classes if he is already "legal", but why not? I mean, you're there, so take some classes. That's what most do.

I expect him to qualify, reclassify, and be a UK Wildcat, and pretty soon.
Thanks Dave! Wish you was over here more.

Thanks Dave for your take. I'm curious what (if anything) the timing of the decision has to do with the eventual desination? Couldn't he use the same reasoning to pick the Ducks? Thanks.

Thanks for the post. I've been a pessimist on his recruitment, but your post is encouraging. I assume you factored in the prickly comments Brashcoe made about Murray joining the team. He didn't seem like he'd be spending every waking moment begging Jamal to join him in Lexington.

i don't think his comments were personal, i just think that is his personality
he is brash and seems to be tough as nails
Briscoe and Ulis might be the two toughest guards in the country

IMHO adding Murray makes UK and UNC the clear cut favorites to win it all

Briscoe's comments lead me to believe that Mr. Murray will not be attending UK. Hope I am wrong, but he sounded a little harsh in his feelings toward Jamal coming here.

Fingers and toes crossed but the tea leaves look like Oregon to me. Looking forward to an announcement.

Briscoe's comments lead me to believe that Mr. Murray will not be attending UK. Hope I am wrong, but he sounded a little harsh in his feelings toward Jamal coming here.
I can understand that.

So far everyone in the know has said Murray is coming to UK so I feel real good right about now. It just makes way to much sense . Hope it happens soon as while its nice knowing you probably are going to get someone but its much better knowing you for sure are . Dave coming thru in the clutch like always.

Those comments did sound harsh but I'm not sure they will have any impact on where Murray goes to college.

So far everyone in the know has said Murray is coming to UK so I feel real good right about now.

Nationally there are still several people (like Meyer) who believe he's going to Oregon. So far this spring the national guys have been more accurate predicting things than UK insiders.

After I watched the Nike Hoop Summit for the second time, I noticed that quite often Briscoe guarded Murray, and was motor-mouthing. I assumed it was trash talk, and I posted elsewhere that it concerned me in regards to Murray wanting to come to UK. I was later advised that it is no big deal. I was impressed that Murray didn't respond in kind, rather, was all business and showed a ton of poise and maturity.

Another thought of mine: After watching the Mustang Madness game featuring Murray and Maker, I think I see (Murray) as a general on the floor, and not necessarily a prolific scorer. The Nike game may have been the exception. Too soon to say, and the FIBA games which will be streamable online will add a clue or two.

It may very well be that he chooses Oregon. We all know the reasons why if he does. I think it will be UK, but hey, I still think we have a chance at Darius Rice.

After I watched the Nike Hoop Summit for the second time, I noticed that quite often Briscoe guarded Murray, and was motor-mouthing. I assumed it was trash talk, and I posted elsewhere that it concerned me in regards to Murray wanting to come to UK. I was later advised that it is no big deal. I was impressed that Murray didn't respond in kind, rather, was all business and showed a ton of poise and maturity.

Another thought of mine: After watching the Mustang Madness game featuring Murray and Maker, I think I see (Murray) as a general on the floor, and not necessarily a prolific scorer. The Nike game may have been the exception. Too soon to say, and the FIBA games which will be streamable online will add a clue or two.

It may very well be that he chooses Oregon. We all know the reasons why if he does. I think it will be UK, but hey, I still think we have a chance at Darius Rice.

Man, bringing up some tough memories with the Rice reference. Found an article where he says he made the wrong choice which is quite frank in this age of "coach-speak" on interviews

http://www.misshsaa.com/GeneralInfo...579/Rewind-Wednesday-Laniers-Darius-Rice.aspx

Reactions: brianpoe
Don't expect him to end up at UK. Hope but don't expect
I don't its taking to long for him to make up his mind.............go somewhere else...............Kentucky is Kentucky Or go to Oregon where you can be the man.......we don't want the man we want a team. Maker is the guy we want.

I don't its taking to long for him to make up his mind.............go somewhere else...............Kentucky is Kentucky Or go to Oregon where you can be the man.......we don't want the man we want a team. Maker is the guy we want.

Mamba, just delete that post and try again. You definitely need a mulligan.

Reactions: dmaso44 and Lumpy 2

This is truly an awful post. Congrats.

You just showed everyone how clueless you truly are.

That guy posts the same nonsense in every thread. He started posting right after UK loses to Wisconsin and just posts stupid things about Thon Maker. He's not even a good troll...or even a high volume troll. I assume he will be once b-ball season gets here but gotta give him a 2/10 so far on the trollathon. You can do better man, get with it. Be creative, develop new moves, branch out...the Maker troll post is repetitive and old news man. I digress, trolls used to be entertaining, but now they are just brainless morons.

I would like to see us take it easy on Briscoe. He's a Wildcat who is full of confidence and ready to go to battle with what we've got.

Hope you are right Dave.

Cal spoiled us early on by landing most all his primary targets. I had almost forgotten what it feels like to sweat out recruits like this.

Nationally there are still several people (like Meyer) who believe he's going to Oregon. So far this spring the national guys have been more accurate predicting things than UK insiders.

When Dave speaks I listen and also there are a few others who are tight and say he is alllll UK . The national guys are just guessing .

I've watched Murray play several times and for much of the game he was the floor general until they needed some points or for him to take over the game. When he is given the green light his offense reminds you of Jodie Meeks. He scored 15-17 points straight for his team to close out one of his games for the win.
I watched him against Newman and Newman was unbelievable scoring the ball and then Murray was given the green light in the 4th and he rattled off something like 15 points in a span of just a couple of minutes for them to pull away for the win. He finished with I think 34 with Newman I think with 42. If Murray had the green light the whole game he would have 50.

I've never watched him get under 20 for the game while playing with 5-7 other div 1 players on his team. He is a damn good player and whoever gets him is getting a good one. Just hope it is us.

I've watched Murray play several times and for much of the game he was the floor general until they needed some points or for him to take over the game. When he is given the green light his offense reminds you of Jodie Meeks. He scored 15-17 points straight for his team to close out one of his games for the win.
I watched him against Newman and Newman was unbelievable scoring the ball and then Murray was given the green light in the 4th and he rattled off something like 15 points in a span of just a couple of minutes for them to pull away for the win. He finished with I think 34 with Newman I think with 42. If Murray had the green light the whole game he would have 50.

I've never watched him get under 20 for the game while playing with 5-7 other div 1 players on his team. He is a damn good player and whoever gets him is getting a good one. Just hope it is us.

Great post. I've thought the same, but haven't seen him as much as you. Man, I love this kids poise, long shot, handle in traffic, and finish in the trees with finesse and touch. So this day has mostly come and gone, and I still think he is UK's to lose. Meyer may be right about him being assured of an Oregon commit, but I don't travel in that circle. Just as an aside, I've seen him on television only, and three times that way. See if you agree.....Sidney Moncrief reincarnated.

Meyer was wrong about Brown was he not? But if he is right, then I'm gonna have to change my thoughts about there possibly being a change in the recruiting world, regarding Cal. I've mostly accepted the explanations of the different guys we missed on, and the possible reasons behind their picking other schools. However, if Murray becomes the latest in that group to spurn us, then I think we have to consider something else is going on. And I know that in general we still have a very good class coming in, so I am not saying Cal laid an egg this year. But given the number of departures, and the openings we had, it's just been very odd to miss on so many of these kids. I talked myself into thinking he can't possibly pick Oregon over us, despite what happened in April, and now that Meyer is saying that's what he's been told, I'm bracing myself for yet another disappointment. Again, I know that each individual case is different and there are some valid reasons for each player committing elsewhere, but losing another will really hurt. I just have to think there might be a change happening in the recruiting world. That said, if he picks us, scratch all that, and it's all good again. :smiley:

Is Gale Goodrich still alive? If so, then I'm gonna go with Hot Rod Hundley. And there's another comparison: Roger Brown, who most wouldn't put in the all time top fifty greatest players, but I would.

Just yankin' your chain.

Thanks for the input on Murray. We need some positivity around these parts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT