ADVERTISEMENT

One and Done contemplation

Apr 17, 2010
I have a thought about the last few years of college basketball and how the one and done system is failing. In some games it comes down to xs and os, but I believe the reason one and done is failing is because in March, these boys don't want to be in school anymore.

Unless you haven't lost much or just plain hate to lose, when you know you can lose game 1 of the tournament and the hostage situation that is 1 year of college is over, you don't really care if you win or lose. Lose and you are on a flight out of town and relaxing before it's time to do NBA stuff. I believe this is why some recent UK teams have had guys go from 0 to all star in 1 year of college ball to the NBA. Yes, some of it is misuse also. But senior laden teams aren't winning because they are older, they are winning because they care about the program. Freshman that plan on leaving as soon as the season is over don't care. Those same 18/19 year old freshman are playing grown men nightly the next year and dropping 20/game. It's all about pride.

I have a thought about the last few years of college basketball and how the one and done system is failing.
The “one and done” system? Hell, I think you might be the only one who even still thinks about that.

The CBB world has since been sent in such chaotic anarchy by NIL money and the free-for-all transfer portal that the old one and done concerns now seem trivial by comparison.

Reactions: mebeblue2
The “one and done” system? Hell, I think you might be the only one who even still thinks about that.

The CBB world has since been sent in such chaotic anarchy by NIL money and the free-for-all transfer portal that the old one and done concerns now seem trivial by comparison.

NIL and transfer is just another wrinkle in the One and Done. Guys moving around chasing money and draft stock is playing for themselves. 0 cares for the program and the success of the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT