ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Weekend Mashup 2015

JPFisher

Senior
Jul 24, 2013
WKY
Not much has happened this week. It's been rough, but let's hop to it.

>I picked up copies of Athlon's season preview and Lindy's (I think?) as well... Disheartening. I don't understand how they rank anything. The only useful thing in them is the W/L tables, recruiting info, and the 3-season progressions in one of them was neat. All the analysis, articles, speculation, and rankings are complete and utter bs with the exception of a few teams in Athlon's which were very well researched, I must admit. Spend the money if you want the few helpful bits, but you might as well go to a team's forum to get more accurate speculation. (It should be noted that Athlon's preview mag was substantially better than the other).

>Barker tweeted that he has been doing QB work with some gurus... I like to think Barker has finally put the immaturity behind him. Doing the training is a leader's move, and I look forward to seeing how that translates in the locker room and on the field when called upon.

>The closer it gets to kick-off, the more excited I am to see Timmons. Stoops and Co. finally feel confident enough to give Timmons return duty again, and that could be the confidence boost he needs to excel. Timmons has some of the finest speed and moves on the entire team. Ryan and Boom should cause plenty of havoc on special teams this year- not to mention in our offense (barring injury).

>I am really anticipating the fall camp. I want to know how our new linemen are doing. Defense definitely, but offense is the key. We have so many playmakers and a QB/offense who can get them the ball. We just need a group to give plays time to develop and knock the snot out of opposing linebackers.

>Cornerbacks. Tiller, Quinn, Harmon, McClain, Randolph, West... We're worried about this group, but I honestly think that a few years ago, it would've been an asset. Think about that.

>We need some fan-made highlights of our linebackers. I think the back seven will surprise a few teams this fall early on, and I look forward to it. Forrest, Henderson, Hatcher, and Flannigan should be incredibly improved. If our newcomers and redshirts can offers serviceable PT or even contribute like I think they can, then the linebackers will be the most improved position on defense and also have the most upside.

That's all I've got. Sorry it was late, but I was celebrating our servicemen and women. Thank you for all you do, and thank you for allowing us to live in a free country. Thank you also to those who fought and died protecting our nation. We are indebted to you.

On that note- The question today is Memorial Day or Independence Day? Which is your favorite holiday? What are some traditions besides drinking beer and shooting things that you'd like to see passed on?

Have a safe and fun Memorial Day, weekend, Sunday, and as always- Go Big Blue!

God Bless

Last edited:
Thanks for the mashup JP. I look forward to reading them.

Great to see Barker showing some maturity and putting in the work. I still look for this to be Towles team. But I feel better about Barker performing when his time comes.

The return game should be very fun with those two returning kicks. I hope they do not gt injured doing that. I always cringe when a star takes a hard hit in the return game.

CB scares me still for our defense. I am hoping some of the new guys can come in and be improvements. Our CB were consistently burned last year. If not the new guys, I'd like to see McClain and Randolph get a chance to show other than at the nickle position.

I look for the LB to be better this season. The 4 you mentioned all getting another year of experience. Forrest really impressed me last year. I look for him to continue to improve. Then adding in newcomers (looking forward to seeing Firios and Love) should give solid depth. Hatcher and Ware are not But. But I think they can perform very well. Especially Hatcher finally being given his time to shine.

To answer your question, I am eternally thankful for my freedom celebrated on Independence Day. And I would not have that without the service men and women we honor on Memorial Day. So Memorial Day might be a slight leader.

Reactions: vikingfer
As a veteran I do not wish to make a choice. I just want to honor those that have died to gain and keep our freedom and celebrate that freedom as one of our most precious treasures and not differentiate between the two because they are so entwined that it is impossible to separate them.

i think hiring buh and reassigning coaching duties will pay huge for us this year. now the olb'ers will get individual instruction and the ilb'er will as well. no more splitting time with d-line or lb'ers. plus buh is supposed to be a really position coach. supposedly one of the best olb'er coaches in the college game.

and thanks to all the veterans today and this and july 4th are probably my 2 favorite holidays now that im not into toys.... well, at least cheap toys. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: vikingfer
i think hiring buh and reassigning coaching duties will pay huge for us this year. now the olb'ers will get individual instruction and the ilb'er will as well. no more splitting time with d-line or lb'ers. plus buh is supposed to be a really position coach. supposedly one of the best olb'er coaches in the college game.

and thanks to all the veterans today and this and july 4th are probably my 2 favorite holidays now that im not into toys.... well, at least cheap toys. lol

I hope you are right. Hatcher and Ware seem to have all the physical tools to be great at the OLB spot. Getting the total focus from a coach whose sole purpose is to make them better will pay huge dividends. I think our LB corps will become a major strength of the defense this year.

Thanks to all for their service to our country.

Independence Day will always be my favorite outside of Christmas. If not for our independence, we wouldn't be celebrating anything.

God bless the fallen.

JP thank you again for your thoughts. I look forward to reading them. Kind of early for valuable info from magazines out now. Man the season is quickly approaching and convinced you will keep us well informed.

Thanks to all who have served our country. God Bless You!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT