ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville in the SEC?!?

Interesting I suppose. I think they'd be a great overall addition to the SEC. Almost all of their sports are pretty highly competitive and they would make the conference better as a whole. As far as football... hard to say. They have been competitive in the past, but they have done so in a lesser conference. They may have created the foundation in those lesser conferences to compete in the SEC. However, they would lose a number of transfers from SEC schools because I imagine that the teams kicking out their trash would tell them that they can't transfer to other SEC schools. That will significantly limit their amount out talent.

They bring nothing but others unwanted trash to the table.
Never will be a SEC school.
Just imagine...every talented x-fer they have but one would not be on the team this year because of the SEC x-fer rule! Lord they would suck even worse than they already will.

I can't see what they would bring to the table?

If you look at what teams were added to the SEC this last time. A&M gets the SEC in to Texas and new markets. Missou does the same thing.

-Does UL enlarge the TV and $ markets? Not really. UL has a smaller fanbase and a large portion of the city is covered by UK.

-Do they expand the footprint of the SEC? Not really. The state of Kentucky is already represented.

-If they are looking for more of a basketball presence, looking first to the state of North Carolina makes sense.
-If they are looking to expand the the markets/$$.....then looking toward Virginia, North Carolina, West Virginia, etc makes sense.

Reactions: ukalum1988
^^ Very true... financially they wouldn't really bring a single thing to the table in terms of markets or fanbase. Due to that they would be no where near one of the top teams considered if the SEC were to expand again.

Doesn't do anything for the SEC, and doesn't do anything for Louisville. The ACC is a better conference in most sports, and football is just too hard to win (as you guys well know). The SEC has a bigger payout, but the ACC is a much better fit for the Cards.

Doesn't do anything for the SEC, and doesn't do anything for Louisville. The ACC is a better conference in most sports, and football is just too hard to win (as you guys well know). The SEC has a bigger payout, but the ACC is a much better fit for the Cards.
ACC is a great conference and good fit for UL...not so sure it is "better in most sports" though. Mens basketball - yes...

Interesting I suppose. I think they'd be a great overall addition to the SEC. Almost all of their sports are pretty highly competitive and they would make the conference better as a whole. As far as football... hard to say. They have been competitive in the past, but they have done so in a lesser conference. They may have created the foundation in those lesser conferences to compete in the SEC. However, they would lose a number of transfers from SEC schools because I imagine that the teams kicking out their trash would tell them that they can't transfer to other SEC schools. That will significantly limit their amount out talent.
Thank you for a refreshingly candid answer. I'm biased on this point but, in terms of athletic programs (and naturally there is much more to the argument than just athletics), I think UofL brings a lot to the table for just about any conference. I think UofL has shown they are more than "competitive" with all SEC schools in all "major" sports (men and women) other than football and maybe softball.

Naturally football would be the big question mark but, after some adjustment, I think they could settle in to middle of the pack status (whatever that is). The resources and commitment to do so are there, it is just about recruiting and coaching. CBP was able to be fairly successful at AR with transfer limitations and there is really no reason to think he could not do so at UofL. I think UofL would reap recruiting dividends by being a member of the dominant conference in the states which they recruit the hardest. By that I mean, a kid in GA, AL or MS "grows up" on SEC football. So being part of that conference (as opposed to the ACC) may well have some positive influence on such kids. All of course, JMO.

Peace

NEVER will happen. KY will always vote it down much like SC would with Clemson, UF with FSU or Miami, etc. I believe KY's "nay" would overrule the majority if I understand the rules correctly.

Honestly, they (i.e., Jurich) would do whatever it requires to compete in the conference in most all sports, but especially the Big 4 of football, men's basketball, baseball and women's basketball, which really cannot be said about UK, at least not until more recently...

The ACC is better than the SEC: just like the All-American was better than the SEC, just like the Big East was better than the SEC, just like C-USA was better, just like the Metro......
The ACC has the SEC beat in Lacrosse, I'll give you that, maybe in soccer too, but that is 50/50.

Unless the SEC changed their policy to permit alcohol sales, UL wouldn't go even if they were invited. Between their alcohol sales (which they downplay, no one knows truly how much they bring in) and ad revenue they would lose a large chunk of income. Not to mention, I think the ACC has a 55M buyout now which would be tough on anyone leaving.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
Unless the SEC changed their policy to permit alcohol sales, UL wouldn't go even if they were invited. Between their alcohol sales (which they downplay, no one knows truly how much they bring in) and ad revenue they would lose a large chunk of income. Not to mention, I think the ACC has a 55M buyout now which would be tough on anyone leaving.

And Louisville has signed a Grant of Rights with the ACC...The SEC is a Great League but the ACC is a Better Fit for Louisville.

I disagree that it does nothing for the SEC. Adding Louisville would give the league another elite level, tradition rich basketball program. U of L has really impressive overall facilities and very solid programs in most sports. I'm not sure adding U of L would do much for what matters most though (the bottom line), but I'd have no problem welcoming Louisville to the SEC.

With that being said, you have to ask yourself why Louisville would leave the ACC. It's a better basketball league. It's weak enough in other sports that U of L should be able to remain competitive long term. I don't know how much money the ACC distributes, but unless the SEC's number is substantially higher, I imagine U of L would stay.

I know a lot of older UK fans still have this mindset that Louisville is irrelevant and not worthy of being on the same level as Kentucky. Clearly, those days are far behind us. U of L is good at just about everything now.

GBB!!!

YOU hit the nail....UL without the liquor ...not gonna happen at ULiquor

Louisville has a great basketball program, and their athletics department is paying real attention to the football program (unlike someone I know).

Thanks to their investment in football, and UK's lack of investment in our own, they have become a perennial top-25 program in the sport (whether we want to acknowledge that or not). I think most SEC schools would rather have Louisville in the conference than us. Most SEC fanbases are embarrassed at how little our administration has done for football, and how far we lag behind the rest of the conference.

With Louisville they'd have an administration that wants to win in football at all costs (just like them). Louisville is willing to hire the best coaches, regardless of character (just like them), and are willing to recruit the best players, regardless of character (just like them), and Louisville is interested in making their stadium bigger (just like them).

I wouldn't want Louisville in the SEC, because the only thing it would do is highlight how much they've done for the nation's most popular sport, and how little we've done for it. But who knows, maybe that would be a good thing in the end. Maybe it would force us to finally make an SEC-level commitment to football.

Last edited:
Louisville has a great basketball program, and their athletics department is paying real attention to the football program (unlike someone I know).

Thanks to their investment in football, and UK's lack of investment in their own, they have become a perennial top-25 program in the sport. I think most SEC schools would rather have Louisville in the conference than us. Most SEC fanbases are embarrassed at how little our administration has done for football. With Louisville they'd have an administration that wants to win in football at all costs (just like them). Louisville is willing to hire the best coaches, regardless of character (just like them), and to recruit the best players, regardless of character (just like them), and Louisville is interested in making their stadium bigger (just like them).

You can't really believe this? This is a total crock of BS! You think other schools are really embarrassed about UK football? Steve Spurrier was embarrassed all right. That he lost to UK last year! To the contrary, just like with Vandy, the other SEC teams have loved having an automatic win almost every year. When they went to divisions, some schools in the west got mad that they weren't going to play UK as often as they wanted! Was UK mad when UT was down for several years? Would UK be mad if Bama and LSU sucked for a decade? I think those teams would HATE it if UK got truly competitive and wasn't a guaranteed win most years. I don't care if UK was good and every other team in the SEC sucked. For the same reason that most schools dont want 9 SEC games or to play too many tough OOC games, they don't want UK to elevate themselves to "elite" status.

ACC is a great conference and good fit for UL...not so sure it is "better in most sports" though. Mens basketball - yes...
I will say it's better than any conference UofL has been involved with thus far and has long lasting opportunities for all of their sports programs to continue to grow and be major players moving forward. I also agree that with UK already in the SEC, the state of Kentucky is too small for both teams to thrive together in the same conference.

Reactions: Mayoman
I will say it's better than any conference UofL has been involved with thus far and has long lasting opportunities for all of their sports programs to continue to grow and be major players moving forward. I also agree that with UK already in the SEC, the state of Kentucky is too small for both teams to thrive together in the same conference.

No doubt about that. I was just wondering on the better in most sports quote (SEC baseball has 9 titles since ACCs last winner, SEC womens hoops is very solid, football is great, already conceded mens bball to ACC)...no question ACC is a great overall conference and has everything UL needs.

YOU hit the nail....UL without the liquor ...not gonna happen at ULiquor
UL isn't moving to the SEC but liquor sales has nothing to do with it. While liquor sales might show a lot of revenue, UL earns less than $500K from those sales. Their food vendor gets half of the revenue plus UL has to purchase the liquor that is sold. A $8 beer may net UL about $2.50-$3.00 of profit.
There are few things more over estimated than profits from alcohol sales.

UL isn't moving to the SEC but liquor sales has nothing to do with it. While liquor sales might show a lot of revenue, UL earns less than $500K from those sales. Their food vendor gets half of the revenue plus UL has to purchase the liquor that is sold. A $8 beer may net UL about $2.50-$3.00 of profit.
There are few things more over estimated than profits from alcohol sales.
It was a sarcasm good grief Sheldon

The very title of this thread is nothing but click bait to get UofL trolls to make even more posts on this board - as if we needed more of that.

Last edited:
Honestly, they (i.e., Jurich) would do whatever it requires to compete in the conference in most all sports, but especially football . .. QUOTE]

Yes, UofL many scandals in an effort to raise their program's profile under the Turtle's watch are pretty well known in these parts . .

Last edited:
Alcohol sales allow for huge profits...to say otherwise is silly.

1/2 barrel individually costs about $105...buy in bulk like a major sporting event and I'm sure it's less, but let's stick to $105. If you get 100% of the keg, it costs $.63 per 12 oz beer. You won't get 100% because of refridgerate on and poor pours so let's call it $.75 per beer. Sell for $8 and you have $7.25(edit for FUZZ) left...id have to check on half the beer profit going to food vendors, but if so you're at $3.625 (efF) per beer profit. Many of the sellers are working for tips and fundraisers, so you save in expense there as well.

Very conservative estimation here, but 20% of the crowd buy 2 beers a game...22k beers sold for 3.63 a piece is about 85k per game in easy money.

Last edited:
How much revenue from subsidies do they get? $11M Kentucky $800K is that right? USA today says so. Subsidies???? aren't those generated from taxes?

It is a good fit until the SEC comes after 3-4 of their teams of which not 1 will be Otis...

Thanks to their investment in football, and UK's lack of investment in our own, they have become a perennial top-25 program in the sport (whether we want to acknowledge that or not). I think most SEC schools would rather have Louisville in the conference than us. Most SEC fanbases are embarrassed at how little our administration has done for football, and how far we lag behind the rest of the conference.

With Louisville they'd have an administration that wants to win in football at all costs (just like them). Louisville is willing to hire the best coaches, regardless of character (just like them), and are willing to recruit the best players, regardless of character (just like them), and Louisville is interested in making their stadium bigger (just like them).

I wouldn't want Louisville in the SEC, because the only thing it would do is highlight how much they've done for the nation's most popular sport, and how little we've done for it. But who knows, maybe that would be a good thing in the end. Maybe it would force us to finally make an SEC-level commitment to football.
Are you a big fat bear and been in hibernation for 3 years now...In less than two years KENTUCKY's facilities will be as good as any in the country(per Mark Stoops)...Our recruiting has picked up and hopefully this staff can coach up players as well as they can recruit them...This year should start showing the fruits of their labor...#WHY NOT KENTUCKY

1/2 barrel individually costs about $105...buy in bulk like a major sporting event and I'm sure it's less, but let's stick to $105. If you get 100% of the keg, it costs $.63 per 12 oz beer. You won't get 100% because of refridgerate on and poor pours so let's call it $.75 per beer. Sell for $8 and you have $7.75 left...id have to check on half the beer profit going to food vendors, but if so you're at $3.875 per beer profit. Many of the sellers are working for tips and fundraisers, so you save in expense there as well.

Very conservative estimation here, but 20% of the crowd buy 2 beers a game...22k beers sold for 3.87 a piece is about 85k per game in easy money.
Check your math.
Also your 20% estimate is high as is your 2 beers per game.

About 2 years ago the C-J published the net profits that UL received from concessions and alcohol sales. The number IIRC was $410K.

I disagree that it does nothing for the SEC. Adding Louisville would give the league another elite level, tradition rich basketball program. U of L has really impressive overall facilities and very solid programs in most sports. I'm not sure adding U of L would do much for what matters most though (the bottom line), but I'd have no problem welcoming Louisville to the SEC.

With that being said, you have to ask yourself why Louisville would leave the ACC. It's a better basketball league. It's weak enough in other sports that U of L should be able to remain competitive long term. I don't know how much money the ACC distributes, but unless the SEC's number is substantially higher, I imagine U of L would stay

I know a lot of older UK fans still have this mindset that Louisville is irrelevant and not worthy of being on the same level as Kentucky. Clearly, those days are far behind us. U of L is good at just about everything now

GBB!!!

Well the SEC is the College Football Gold Standard but the ACC Stacks up very well in all Sports..in the Big Four of Football, Basketball Women Basketball and Baseball is as good as any other P5 League.

Now on to Revenue the B1G sets the pace followed by the SEC...But with ACC Schools receiving at minimum of $20 Million from Media Deals

Check your math.

About 2 years ago the C-J published the net profits that UL received from concessions and alcohol sales. The number IIRC was $410K.

Well you know that Louisville isn't the only P5 School that sells beer...Miami, Syracuse and West Virginia also sell Beer at Games...also LSU of the SEC is on the verge of doing the same as soon as they can get the go ahead....here is the link:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...les-lsu-athletic-director-joe-alleva/9018143/

Check your math.

Check my math on what? Enlighten me.

Some may not have 2 beers, but some may have 6-7...my math on profit margins is also very solid...maybe you should do some research...

"Beer sales have produced no less than $516,000 each of the past three years for West Virginia"

"Troy athletic director John Hartwell estimated that beer would account for $200,000 in commissions this season. According to its contract with concessionaire Sodexo, Troy will receive 43 percent of gross beer sales at its 30,000-seat stadium, or better than $2 for every $5 beer." My estimate of 3.875 on an $8 beer was 48% (pretty damn close to 43%, wouldn't ya say?) Troy (TROY) estimated to sell 100k beer over 6 home games...that's 16,667 beers per game for a 30k seat stadium...I estimate UL selling 22k beer for a 55k stadium (maybe I was on the LOW side)

Here, learn something. http://espn.go.com/college-football...eer-sales-stadiums-alternative-revenue-stream

Well you know that Louisville isn't the only P5 School that sells beer...Miami, Syracuse and West Virginia also sell Beer at Games...also LSU of the SEC is on the verge of doing the same as soon as they can get the go ahead....here is the link:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/05/12/lsu-tigers-beer-sales-lsu-athletic-director-joe-alleva/9018143/

Fuzz is a know it all that doesn't know much...profit margins are huge in beverages/alcohol...many of the schools that sell beer have seen problems decrease because people don't chug a bunch before entering the stadium...and probably stop sneaking in hard liquor because of the beer availability.

Fuzz is a know it all that doesn't know much...profit margins are huge in beverages/alcohol...many of the schools that sell beer have seen problems decrease because people don't chug a bunch before entering the stadium...and probably stop sneaking in hard liquor because of the beer availability.

That was one of the reason if I am not mistaken why West Virginia started to sell Beer...that and another revenue stream...

1/2 barrel individually costs about $105...buy in bulk like a major sporting event and I'm sure it's less, but let's stick to $105. If you get 100% of the keg, it costs $.63 per 12 oz beer. You won't get 100% because of refridgerate on and poor pours so let's call it $.75 per beer. Sell for $8 and you have $7.75 left...id have to check on half the beer profit going to food vendors, but if so you're at $3.875 per beer profit. Many of the sellers are working for tips and fundraisers, so you save in expense there as well.

Very conservative estimation here, but 20% of the crowd buy 2 beers a game...22k beers sold for 3.87 a piece is about 85k per game in easy money.
$8.00 - .75 = $7.75?

They would probably get killed. It's one thing to play one of the stronger SEC teams in a one game setting every once in a while but a whole other animal to play several in a 2.5 month span.

It's one thing to out athlete the majority of the ACC teams but a totally different deal facing the kind of OL and DL's in the SEC. The DB's alone in the SEC would take their passing game down a notch.

Just kind of funny thinking about it. They would HAVE to recruit a slew of 4 star linemen regularly to be a major player in our league. The line issues is what makes it hard for us to take another step. And there are just so many great linemen to go around compared to all other positions.

$8.00 - .75 = $7.75?
Good catch though Fuzz, very silly error on my part. Didn't change much though in the grand scheme of the calcs...3.625 per beer instead of 3.875...45% return instead of 48%...my 45% even closer to the 43% TROY estimated...seems my math overall was pretty good. If that is all you can come up with, I'll take it as you just got OWNED and move on...

I'll give you some more math...If I make a $1000 bet and lose...how much do I owe @bradyjames ?

Last edited:
Reactions: BengalWACO
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT