ADVERTISEMENT

Is Ferentz retiring after bowl game today?

No one is preaching, just stating an opinion. My personal opinion is I hope he moves out of conference, the 2 years we ended up number 1 UK was the most physical and closest games we had.

Maybe he is on the decline, age isn't selective, but if you don't think he has been good for the program you have to be pretty young. I realize people are not happy with his offense, but every gameplan has been geared to give UK the best chance to win. In the past UK has not had the talent to get into scoring contest. Leary was suppose to be the remedy for that, but for whatever reason he wasn't as productive as he was in ACC. Plans had to change, and that is why the offense ran at a snail's pace.

I am not saying UK should be happy with 7 wins, but AU and UF who both fired coaches who were winning more are now hoping for 7 wins. Both programs were turned down by multiple coaches until they found someone who would take it.

But UK administration needs to do what they feel is best for the program. I don't care if UK keeps or let's CMS go, I just hate seeing a coach get blamed when they put a player in position to make the play and player doesn't make it.
You are right. Very level headed. Honestly stoops has achieved more than I thought was reasonably possible at Kentucky. Make no mistake, if he leaves we take a big step backwards

Reactions: Seakat311
Who is out there who is available is a big step up from Stoops. Don't say 9m makes alot of coaches available, because if current school is happy they won't let him walk. Look how many coaches UF has gone through since Urban, and everyone thought Mullen was the guy when hired.
Grump I understand what you are saying. Here is the point - I assume you have been watching UK games as well - Stoops has been UK's coach for 11 years. He has done extremely well in most phases of the game for UK. However, why the fans, myself included, are upset is this - in game management and especially the use or NON use of timeouts. He either is slow, afraid or can't make decisions. We had 3 timeouts left in the final drive Clemson made against us - our defense had played almost the entire second half - do you know how many timeouts we called on the final drive? A drive that saw Clemson have a 3rd and 18 and and fourth and two - NONE! The coaches said and we had two inexperienced backs in due to injuries. Do you think it might have been a good time to call a timeout or two or three? If we stop that drive - the game is over - we win. Instead we lose. This has been the pattern with Coach Stoops - in game clock management and decision making. After 11 seasons of being a head coach you think he would be better at this - but he hasn't improved. That is the difference between UK being 11-2 or 10-3 this season instead of 7-6. This has been a pattern with him.

Coach Stoops is great with creating a football program as to culture, caring about the other coaches, players and fans! He excels in recognizing talent, developing players and communicating and relating to them. He is a great football coach in 99% of the game - but that one percent is the difference. We have seen some of his assistants become very good head coaches. They seem to love him over all and appreciate him. I appreciate him - because before him we didn't have continuity. But this one fault is why he may not get the big job he desires. We all know he took the A & M job. But their people have watched him and understand he is probably better than Jimbo - but he isn't going to win the big one! The question I have is does Brad White, the defensive co-ordinator, not have the ability to call timeouts - can only the head coach make that decision? We all know that his assistants like Lexington and the program enough that they would have all stayed if he had left. They made it clear to him. Why am I saying this now - because the assistants believe we can win here and they are getting what they need overall. They love the area. We deserve to have someone on the staff that can make the decision to use the timeouts to win games!

Go Big Blue!

Reactions: 23jumpboy
No one is preaching, just stating an opinion. My personal opinion is I hope he moves out of conference, the 2 years we ended up number 1 UK was the most physical and closest games we had.

Maybe he is on the decline, age isn't selective, but if you don't think he has been good for the program you have to be pretty young. I realize people are not happy with his offense, but every gameplan has been geared to give UK the best chance to win. In the past UK has not had the talent to get into scoring contest. Leary was suppose to be the remedy for that, but for whatever reason he wasn't as productive as he was in ACC. Plans had to change, and that is why the offense ran at a snail's pace.

I am not saying UK should be happy with 7 wins, but AU and UF who both fired coaches who were winning more are now hoping for 7 wins. Both programs were turned down by multiple coaches until they found someone who would take it.

But UK administration needs to do what they feel is best for the program. I don't care if UK keeps or let's CMS go, I just hate seeing a coach get blamed when they put a player in position to make the play and player doesn't make it.
I am 70 years old and seen it all with UK football. Time for Stoops to move on. I will just agree to disagree with you.

Stoops could get a large part of the fanbase behind him if he had a play to win mentality. He always plays not to lose though which is why a good portion of us are ready for a change. Even in a meaningless bowl game he still resulted to the don’t get beat, let’s play it safe mode which lost us the game. We see that every single week and have for 11 years and we rarely beat a team we weren’t supposed to.
Yep. I would trade an occasional bad loss, although we’ve already had several recently, if we occasionally had a big win. We’ve worked our way backwards where I don’t go into a game against good teams feeling we have a punchers chance. The ‘hope they screw up’ tact has run its course but I don’t see how it changes since he was doing it at fsu. We saw how Jimbo just absolutely wouldn’t adapt and we’re in the middle of watching stoops. He’s good at running new narratives but very little actually changes philosophically.

Grump I understand what you are saying. Here is the point - I assume you have been watching UK games as well - Stoops has been UK's coach for 11 years. He has done extremely well in most phases of the game for UK. However, why the fans, myself included, are upset is this - in game management and especially the use or NON use of timeouts. He either is slow, afraid or can't make decisions. We had 3 timeouts left in the final drive Clemson made against us - our defense had played almost the entire second half - do you know how many timeouts we called on the final drive? A drive that saw Clemson have a 3rd and 18 and and fourth and two - NONE! The coaches said and we had two inexperienced backs in due to injuries. Do you think it might have been a good time to call a timeout or two or three? If we stop that drive - the game is over - we win. Instead we lose. This has been the pattern with Coach Stoops - in game clock management and decision making. After 11 seasons of being a head coach you think he would be better at this - but he hasn't improved. That is the difference between UK being 11-2 or 10-3 this season instead of 7-6. This has been a pattern with him.

Coach Stoops is great with creating a football program as to culture, caring about the other coaches, players and fans! He excels in recognizing talent, developing players and communicating and relating to them. He is a great football coach in 99% of the game - but that one percent is the difference. We have seen some of his assistants become very good head coaches. They seem to love him over all and appreciate him. I appreciate him - because before him we didn't have continuity. But this one fault is why he may not get the big job he desires. We all know he took the A & M job. But their people have watched him and understand he is probably better than Jimbo - but he isn't going to win the big one! The question I have is does Brad White, the defensive co-ordinator, not have the ability to call timeouts - can only the head coach make that decision? We all know that his assistants like Lexington and the program enough that they would have all stayed if he had left. They made it clear to him. Why am I saying this now - because the assistants believe we can win here and they are getting what they need overall. They love the area. We deserve to have someone on the staff that can make the decision to use the timeouts to win games!

Go Big Blue!

All of that is fair. I am not sure it was ATM that backed out of the ATM job. They had their eye on a couple big name guys and got turned down and had to scramble, and ended up with one of Jimbo's former assistants at ATM. Their fans were wanting Dan Lanning and then thought Ryan day was coming.

Go Big Blue!
The head coach calls timeouts.

3rd and 18 drove me nuts too. Every coach in the country frustrates their fans with play calls, timeout management and strategy. So this is not unique to Kentucky. Saban is the goat and his play all at the end of last nights game has left people scratching their heads. It’s just ball man. Sometimes coaches look dumb when shit goes sideways

3rd and 18 drove me nuts too. Every coach in the country frustrates their fans with play calls, timeout management and strategy. So this is not unique to Kentucky. Saban is the goat and his play all at the end of last nights game has left people scratching their heads. It’s just ball man. Sometimes coaches look dumb when shit goes sideways

Exactly. If Bama had scored and went on to win it would have been a great call..

We are 7-6 the last 2 years, it looks like it will be the same for next year and beyond with the way stoops is coaching and the makeup of the conference. I would find it hard to believe that Stoops is just the best we can do like so many want us to believe.
I’m sorry you don’t wanna move to Iowa Mrs. Stoops but I promise it’ll all work out for you and your family!
Is there a Mrs. Stoops?

I will tell you who I would like to have and I bet he isn’t on Mitch’s list. Chris Petersen who used to coach Boise St. he is announcing now. He was a great coach and would do well at UK.
Don, I read up a little bit on Chris Peterson and I agree that I wouldn't mind having him here, but I don't think he has an interest in being a coach anymore.

I think NB would be interested.
I think it would be him or sumrall just because Barnhart knows them and that’s what he’s going to value he doesn’t like getting out of the comfort zone. He essentially had to with Cal….or would alternatively come within staff if those guys turn it down but I think it has to go to guys that have coached before first before assistants. Although assistant retention matters to keep some of the roster together over a change.

Yep. I would trade an occasional bad loss, although we’ve already had several recently, if we occasionally had a big win. We’ve worked our way backwards where I don’t go into a game against good teams feeling we have a punchers chance. The ‘hope they screw up’ tact has run its course but I don’t see how it changes since he was doing it at fsu. We saw how Jimbo just absolutely wouldn’t adapt and we’re in the middle of watching stoops. He’s good at running new narratives but very little actually changes philosophically.
GREAT, SPOT on post!!

Rumor has it that Stoops assistants wasn't willing to go with him to A&M and that was part of the hold up. Odd that assistants would think that UK would be a better job to move up than A&M.
Have you been to College Station? Nice campus and place - but it is not Lexington and the quality of life here! Most people don;t realize how nice Lexington is to live for many different reasons. If your entire life is only football - then college station and A & M is the place. Stoops entire life seems to be more football than his current assistants.

Go Big Blue!

Agree about Saban and call Rockfly. But Saban has made the tough decision many times - and has the hardware to prove it. I can name you over 10 games we could/should have won with just a little better in game management of it. Yes, the coach calls the timeouts - but are you telling me that the idea of time outs didn;t come up from the defensive co-ordinator? The offense had less than a minute to make all those plays. The clock was already stopped - the team that would have gained the advantage the timeouts was the defensive team! Player hurt and less experienced guys playing prevent - really? Guys being tired? Yes we gave the game away with turnovers - but we still had it won with one defensive stop. We didn't even call timeout when they made the final score from the 3 yard line. We weren't set! I was at the game - I watched the whole mess. Our coaches looked like deer in the headlights. Coach Stoops has done a great job - but he needs to give someone the power to tell him to call timeout - if he can't do it. Think about this - why have we led the country in fewest plays on offense for two years now? Its because the coaches can't make decisions quickly enough!

You can say well its been a good run and it has been. But after a decade, I and most fans, want that playoff opportunity! With the new 12 team format and probably 16 in a couple of years - the time for a coach to lead UK is now. Right now I can name you 3 guys with strong UK ties that could do a better job of in game management that would probably jump at the chance to be UK's head coach. You can probably easily name that many or more as well! The difference now than 11 years ago - is the next head coach can concentrate totally on getting and keeping players and coach the team. He doesn;t have to build facilities and create a program - the program exist now. We are now a top 25 program - its time for everyone to not only realize it - but accept it and try to achieve more. If Clemson is indeed a top 10 program - which many say they are - then look at the Gator Bowl and tell me we are not a top 25 program now!

Go Big Blue!

Thanks GD, this is completely accurate. But some posters on here have an unrealistic opinion of what is possible. Stoops has turned us around from a team that hoped to get to bowl games (under R Brooks, I'll just ignore the Joker years) to a team that is disappointed with a loss to a ranked team in a bowl game.

There's a reason that 3 of the 4 playoff teams are traditional powers with lots of money and access to get recruiting grounds.

Reactions: Rockfly78
You can’t convince him Danny. He must be about 22 and he has not seen or been thru what we have.
lol unless you two old dudes are like 105 then you are currently enjoying the most successful stretch of Kentucky football in your lifetime. Same as me. It may sound silly but this is the golden age of Kentucky football.

The only thing you’ve been through is bad football. Same as me.

Reactions: The-Hack
If Stoops leaves, Marrow will go with him. Unless we brought in a HC who was a great recruiter or could bring a great recruiter with him I think this program would take a nosedive. I’d hate to lose Stoops at this point but his philosophy isn’t going to get you much more than what we have now. I think if he could ever get to the point where he doesn’t go away from what’s been working for him in certain game situations then we could possibly win 1-2 more every year.

OK, I am a little slow, but I see many aren't happy with CMS and want him gone, my last comment on it is this, The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence, but you will never know if you don't venture there.
You’re right. I’d love to sit here and feel confident that Kentucky could trade up from stoops and his staff. Stoops really isn’t much by himself. He is a group entity with morrow, white and coen. That’s where his value is. Continuity

Look at Auburn and Florida. Clearly bigger than us. They can’t seem to stick the hire. Arky is similar to us. Can’t stick the hire. Slutty Carolina stuck with beemer. It took Tenn 5 tries to get it right. They have like 4 coaches on payroll.

The risk vs reward is massive with a program like Kentucky. In my estimation there was only one home run hire made last year. It was fickell to wiscy.

Sumrall may be the guy one day. But not quite yet.

Last edited:
OK, I am a little slow, but I see many aren't happy with CMS and want him gone, my last comment on it is this, The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence, but you will never know if you don't venture there.
I don’t want him gone now. I want him to grow. He’s been here long enough that I don’t think he will and I think in a couple of seasons in the new scheduling format it’s going to show up if he doesn’t. I hope like heck that he does but am past holding out belief that he will because he’s been here 12 years and we largely are the same no matter which of the 6 oc’s we’ve had here are calling games. 2 offenses in the top 60 in 12 years. And defensively we create nothing. That 2018 d was good enough to win games itself because Josh Allen could just naturally pass rush without them calling aggressive stuff so it worked great for stoops. And 2021 was the best offense we had finishing 38th for our two ceiling years with him.

It felt to me like sec coaches figured out how to play us this year led by the game against you guys. Normally Kirby just lines up and we play bully ball with you guys a while because Kirby knows we can’t score enough if we don’t get help from them with to’s. This year it was ‘you know, they’re strong up the middle but play soft on the perimeter’ so they just go to the sides and make us move around a while and our size can’t cover ground to help how soft we play coverage. We get worn out then teams can do what they want with us. If you watch our game v mizzou, people point to the fake punt as changing momentum etc and it did but go watch the drive they have immediately after that possession. They go side to side taking advantage of the cushion and space.

I don’t want him gone now. I want him to grow. He’s been here long enough that I don’t think he will and I think in a couple of seasons in the new scheduling format it’s going to show up if he doesn’t. I hope like heck that he does but am past holding out belief that he will because he’s been here 12 years and we largely are the same no matter which of the 6 oc’s we’ve had here are calling games. 2 offenses in the top 60 in 12 years. And defensively we create nothing. That 2018 d was good enough to win games itself because Josh Allen could just naturally pass rush without them calling aggressive stuff so it worked great for stoops. And 2021 was the best offense we had finishing 38th for our two ceiling years with him.

It felt to me like sec coaches figured out how to play us this year led by the game against you guys. Normally Kirby just lines up and we play bully ball with you guys a while because Kirby knows we can’t score enough if we don’t get help from them with to’s. This year it was ‘you know, they’re strong up the middle but play soft on the perimeter’ so they just go to the sides and make us move around a while and our size can’t cover ground to help how soft we play coverage. We get worn out then teams can do what they want with us. If you watch our game v mizzou, people point to the fake punt as changing momentum etc and it did but go watch the drive they have immediately after that possession. They go side to side taking advantage of the cushion and space.

This year we just didn't start the season off strong. We had nailbiters against teams we shouldn't have had. If that team showed up against UK I think UGA was in trouble. But UK caught a healthy focused UGA who would have been a handful for anyone that day. Right now our roster is getting tampered with so much by teams offering 7 figures for players with 1 or 2 years left. Really frustrating, this playoff we had 2 players who were bought off our roster. But it is a sign of the times, let a kid sign at a school with one of the best staffs and go buy him in a. Year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT