ADVERTISEMENT

The Iowa Job “May” Be Opening Soon

Nov 25, 2001
Here in Iowa there are some rumblings that Kirk Ferentz may announce his retirement after Iowa’s bowl game. The administration’s decision to fire his son as OC has things strained. Ferentz is 68 years old.

If he does retire, might Stoops entertain Iowa?

• Haha
Reactions: jameslee32
No surprise about his son. But in my opinion the ATM job is a much better job than the Iowa job, more support, better facilities, better recruiting base. At one time Saturday evening it looked like many here were getting their fish with Stoops leaving. I don't know which side backed away. But if the bug to leave has bitten him, he will be gone soon. If Iowa calls, didn't think he would listen, but he might now, not sure they can afford him though.

Here in Iowa there are some rumblings that Kirk Ferentz may announce his retirement after Iowa’s bowl game. The administration’s decision to fire his son as OC has things strained. Ferentz is 68 years old.

If he does retire, might Stoops entertain Iowa?
Thx for posting. I’ve been reading on your board. It sounds like the general fans are 50/50 on the retirement question. Are you hearing something outside of social media? Thx again

Last edited:
No surprise about his son. But in my opinion the ATM job is a much better job than the Iowa job, more support, better facilities, better recruiting base. At one time Saturday evening it looked like many here were getting their fish with Stoops leaving. I don't know which side backed away. But if the bug to leave has bitten him, he will be gone soon. If Iowa calls, didn't think he would listen, but he might now, not sure they can afford him though.
He is an alumni so there's that. I don't think that would be enough but he is from there.

Here we go again.

Will the Hawkeyes "Pony Up"?

Would Iowa be willing to pay him $80 million or more to leave UK?

Is Stoops REALLY happy here or is he ready to move on, especially back to his alma mater?

Iowa currently paying a 68-year old coach $7 million. They know they will likely pony up even mite for an established one.

Make the call Hawkeyes

This is exactly what I've been saying. With his age and his son being fired by others, he might use this as a reason to call it quits. Plus he can't do much, if at all better than he has this year. Play for the conference title and get a big bowl game and ride off into the sunset.

This is likely the last job Stoops might take since I don't see a top school going after him. The Big 10 has plenty of money like the SEC. Iowa should be able to pay what it takes. He might even get some improvements done if needed like here.

Last edited:
Would be able to keep Ohio and Michigan pipelines open.
Much more tradition and history of bigger success.
Does he want to participate in the California and Washington travel experiment?

I think iowa would have loved him before.
Have to wonder if the aTm stink would make them shy now.

A&M just wasn’t a good fit, Iowa is Stoops football 100%

Good question. There’s definitely a segment of the fan base that would hope Stoops is the first call. He’d very much be a cultural fit at Iowa.
Just curious, is the visiting locker room still painted pink?????

I loved when Hayden Fry did that.

Reactions: Girthang
This is a really good season for Iowa …10-2. A ‘fair catch ‘ from 11-1. If he leaves , it’d definitely be retiring on his own terms. With offense being an issue there forever , would they go to a defensive guy

The Texas A & M flirtation will have no bearing on Iowa’s potential interest.

I'd argue Stoops will go to Iowa and he's going to be as good a candidate as any for them.

I'd be interested in UK next chapter after Mark Stoops (even with the risk it could perform worse than Stoops)

I dont think the offer ever existed. Has anyone of note verified it?

Stoops is gone if Iowa makes the offer. What is worse is that he may even take a slight pay cut to leave for that job. He's way over market here, but MB totally screwed us with the latest contract. There are some very good coaches out there making less.

Less competition in the Big 10, especially in the West division

Stoops is gone if Iowa makes the offer. What is worse is that he may even take a slight pay cut to leave for that job. He's way over market here, but MB totally screwed us with the latest contract. There are some very good coaches out there making less.
There will always be some very good coaches out there, which is the big head scratcher why A&M paid $76 mil for Elko

It is not likely that Ferentz leaves based on his own words, not at all certain that Stoops would be offered if he did leave, and, for those that insist that he'd leave for Iowa in a heartbeat, exactly what has he specifically said to give that impression?

Yeah, I know. That was a long time ago. Not sure how much allure the HC job would have.
Stoops and Iowa is a match made in heaven. Iowa loves their 3 points a quarter offense and great defense. Stoops wil be back in the midwest buidling his Iowa olines and defenses for 9-10 win seasons every 6 years. Literally couldnt name a more Iowa coach than Mark Stoops.

Stoops and Iowa is a match made in heaven. Iowa loves their 3 points a quarter offense and great defense. Stoops wil be back in the midwest buidling his Iowa olines and defenses for 9-10 win seasons every 6 years. Literally couldnt name a more Iowa coach than Mark Stoops.
No, they're actually really unhappy with their sh!tty offense. That's why they fired their OC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT