ADVERTISEMENT

The Iowa Job “May” Be Opening Soon

With what just is about to happen with A&M, the prospect of us attempting a coaching search right now scares the you know what out of me. MB's probable short list scares me even more.

The margin for error at UK is small. Do you all trust MB to get this one right?
Well, he did hire Stoops. He also hired Brooks.

Reactions: white10
Stoops is taking it, it’s done. Wait a minute, he’s not, but I’m an insider so it doesn’t matter what I say unless it actually happens. What a joke. Either these guys or Lunardi have the best job ever

Reactions: Girthang
I'd argue Stoops will go to Iowa and he's going to be as good a candidate as any for them.

I'd be interested in UK next chapter after Mark Stoops (even with the risk it could perform worse than Stoops)
Didn’t you hear? According to some posters on here NO ONE worth a nickel would want the Kentucky job. Stoops is irreplaceable! R.I.P Kentucky football

Anyone of the opinion that Stoops actually removed his name from A and M job when he received a call from Iowa telling him that Ferenz will announce retirement after Michigan game and that Stoops is their first choice.

Anyone of the opinion that Stoops actually removed his name from A and M job when he received a call from Iowa telling him that Ferenz will announce retirement after Michigan game and that Stoops is their first choice.
No, because it is unlikely that anyone there would leak this information about Ferentz, which would have come in confidence, and even more unlikely that a school like Iowa would do anything less than a full national search.

Again, there was never anything concrete about Stoops and TAM.

Who is your top 3 to replace Stoops?
Chadwell Liberty HC
Toledo HC
Oregon OC - He is an Louisville Alum
Troy HC
WVA HC
Coen KY OC
White KY DC
Marrow KY Assistant

That’s a list I read early Sunday morning before Stoops got turned down.

No surprise about his son. But in my opinion the ATM job is a much better job than the Iowa job, more support, better facilities, better recruiting base. At one time Saturday evening it looked like many here were getting their fish with Stoops leaving. I don't know which side backed away. But if the bug to leave has bitten him, he will be gone soon. If Iowa calls, didn't think he would listen, but he might now, not sure they can afford him though.
I dunno..doesn't sound like too many coaches retire from A&M lately

I dunno..doesn't sound like too many coaches retire from A&M lately

That can be said about most schools, Iowa is 10-2, but I am not sure anyone in the SEC even Vandy, would tolerate a coach naming his son OC and after several years of inept offense the school steps in and fires him. Dad would be gone too at every SEC school, regardless of years served.

Chadwell Liberty HC
Toledo HC
Oregon OC - He is an Louisville Alum
Troy HC
WVA HC
Coen KY OC
White KY DC
Marrow KY Assistant

That’s a list I read early Sunday morning before Stoops got turned down.
Turned down? I doubt an offer was ever made. As for that list, the last 3 can't be serious options. There's a couple decent choices in there. Neal Brown is a poor choice. Will Stein isn't ready for this. He's been a P5 Offensive Coordinator for 1 year in a conference that doesn't play defense. Sumrall is the only one I'd give a shot from that list.

I've said that for years, Stoops to Iowa when Ferentz retires. That's his alma mater and they play the same boring brand of defensive football that Stoops likes.

Reactions: Big Blue in 502
Would be able to keep Ohio and Michigan pipelines open.
Much more tradition and history of bigger success.
Does he want to participate in the California and Washington travel experiment?

I think iowa would have loved him before.
Have to wonder if the aTm stink would make them shy now.
Hard to say about Ohio. The Marrow/Stoops foundation is now strong, but you can no longer sell the SEC as a runner-up to OSU. Michigan has been a source for Iowa, so that likely continues. Ohio, not as much. I think the past 5 classes have about 3 Ohioans. So, any inroads into Ohio would be new for Iowa. Iowa has a better history for football than UK. So, there is that. But, recent history is comparable. I would not think this a step up for Stoops. If he took it, it would be the emotional alma mater move or an “I need out of UK” move, IMO.

Btw, this year did not go as Stoops had hoped. I think he thought he had another 10 win team. Next season’s schedule is brutal. So, Stoops may be trying to get ahead of the hot-seat rumors that could follow next season.

Btw, this year did not go as Stoops had hoped. I think he thought he had another 10 win team. Next season’s schedule is brutal. So, Stoops may be trying to get ahead of the hot-seat rumors that could follow next season.
I just googled the 2024 schedule for UK and Texas A&M, for UK, the last 3 games are on the road against Ole Miss, UT and Texas

Looking at A&M, they don't have particularly hard road games but start the season with ND and end it with Texas at home. Odd that UK and A&M both end their seasons with Texas.

UK is going to have to work harder to get 6 wins than they did this year to 7

Reactions: BigBlue1992
No

I just googled the 2024 schedule for UK and Texas A&M, for UK, the last 3 games are on the road against Ole Miss, UT and Texas

Looking at A&M, they don't have particularly hard road games but start the season with ND and end it with Texas at home. Odd that UK and A&M both end their seasons with Texas.

SEC game dates have not be released yet still to be TBA.

This is not correct. The dates are not set. Those three road games are just the last "TBA" dates listed, but they're not chronological. As a matter of fact, the last game of the year actually is set, and it's the Louisville game.

Reactions: JHB4UK
Would they even want him?
Good question. Sort of like his nexus to Jimbo at TAM it draws even more attention to his style of play because the fans already hate it. At Iowa their O has been so piutrid anything is better but the question is will they try to move forward with more offensive guys and shut out coaches with poor offensive profiles because they are already worn out with it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT