ADVERTISEMENT

The Iowa Job “May” Be Opening Soon

No surprise about his son. But in my opinion the ATM job is a much better job than the Iowa job, more support, better facilities, better recruiting base. At one time Saturday evening it looked like many here were getting their fish with Stoops leaving. I don't know which side backed away. But if the bug to leave has bitten him, he will be gone soon. If Iowa calls, didn't think he would listen, but he might now, not sure they can afford him though.
Only thing I question in your post is "more support" and I say that from the perception of Stoops not having the "support" of the fan base or boosters from day 1. He obviously wasn't their ideal choice and his seat would have been hot the minute he walked through the door.

Good question. There’s definitely a segment of the Iowa fan base that would hope Stoops is the first call. He’d very much be a cultural fit at Iowa.
Iowa has always been my concern for coming after Stoops if the job opened. Some coaches are just natural fits at certain places. Stoops at aTm is just not a good fit. Michigan St. would have been a good fit, Iowa is obvious, and being an Alum, he would have the welcome mat rolled out for him by much of the fan base. It may seem like a bit of a lateral move in some respects, but blood is thicker than water and Iowa would be a coming home of sorts for Stoops.

Chadwell Liberty HC
Toledo HC
Oregon OC - He is an Louisville Alum
Troy HC
WVA HC
Coen KY OC
White KY DC
Marrow KY Assistant
Since it has been such a hot discussion on this board all year until Stoops answered the question who is the better coach at 3:30 Saturday.....

Of that "list", who would be a better head coach than Jeff Brohm?

This is not correct. The dates are not set. Those three road games are just the last "TBA" dates listed, but they're not chronological. As a matter of fact, the last game of the year actually is set, and it's the Louisville game.
ok, wasn't sure, just saw it scheduled that way

from the Courier Journal

Kentucky football schedule 2024: Non-conference opponents​

• Aug 31: at Akron
  • Sept. 21: vs. Ohio
  • Nov. 16: vs. Murray State
  • Nov. 30: vs. Louisville

I would seriously consider Jon Sumrall. Coen would be another.
I think the only way we keep Coen is to offer him the head coaching job. I would see him either following Stoops or looking for a head Coaching gig, someplace else that will open up during the coaching carousel.

Reactions: Cawood86
ok, wasn't sure, just saw it scheduled that way

from the Courier Journal

Kentucky football schedule 2024: Non-conference opponents​

• Aug 31: at Akron
  • Sept. 21: vs. Ohio
  • Nov. 16: vs. Murray State
  • Nov. 30: vs. Louisville
At Akron was replaced with a home game vs. Southern Miss. We should have 8 home games next year.

I’d say the only thing that might stop this from happening is he’s obviously gonna take some players with him. Would they wanna follow him to Iowa?

To the Iowa fans, I promise y’all that by 2050 Mark Stoops will have your program rebuilt. Who could ask for more? I hope they make the call!

You really think so? He's pretty well set here. I could understand the aTm move (bigger program, more resources). But Iowa? IDK, man.
I’ve noticed Stoops’ lack of fire on the sideline the past couple of years, could be he’s burned out or maybe his doc told him he was going to stroke out if he didn’t settle down. One thing he said that was true is this is one of the hardest jobs in the country when you look at our resources vs schedule and it ain’t get any easier starting next year. Just speculating but a divorce when young kids are involved can take its toll on you, been there myself, and sometimes a fresh start is needed. Hope he stays (with coaching upgrades) but if he’s shown interest in other jobs then that’s a sign he won’t be here much longer in any case.

Reactions: entropy13
Since it has been such a hot discussion on this board all year until Stoops answered the question who is the better coach at 3:30 Saturday.....

Of that "list", who would be a better head coach than Jeff Brohm?
Candle at Toledo is an interesting candidate as is Chadwell of Liberty. If KY wants to go away from someone with KY ties both seem ready to take the next step. Both Coaches in their 40’s and have had lots of success.

Reactions: catben
I’d say the only thing that might stop this from happening is he’s obviously gonna take some players with him. Would they wanna follow him to Iowa?

To the Iowa fans, I promise y’all that by 2050 Mark Stoops will have your program rebuilt. Who could ask for more? I hope they make the call!
Iowa is 10-2 and in the B1G championship game. What needs to be "rebuilt"? He'd be inheriting a program on a pretty solid foundation.

Reactions: Girthang and catben
What could possibly make you think they'd be an upgrade from Stoops?
Well, 11 years in is still only getting 7 wins. Ou and Texas show up next year. Stoops couldn't beat the Gamecocks the last 2 times. Lost to Vandy last year. Not hard to see if you look.

Iowa is about to take a hard fall with no divisions and the pac 12 schools joining starting next season. It would make sense for their coach to retire now.

As for Stoops and this job, who knows. He is about as fickle as a 10 year old.

Whether Stoops was offered by A&M, who knows. What is known is that he talked to him which is anyone’s prerogative. Was it the money, wanting to get out of Lexington or both? Making $9.5 mil puts him in the top 10 in salary, so any pending head coaching job comes with less $. But how much do you need? I am sure his ex-wife and children get a chunk but he does not need any financial assistance! If Iowa becomes available, I believe he will take it - I have no inside info, just a hunch.

If Iowa’s coach leaves then their program will be gutted and Stoops would have to start from scratch. At least that’s what fans are saying will happen to us when Stoops leaves.
Yeah, if only a transfer portal existed to rebuild rosters in just a few short months.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT