ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Tourney Fact Under Cal

IF this has any merit, my guess is it has to do with the way Cal takes the air out of the ball with his talented teams; playing not to lose

While otoh, when he's an underdog he takes more chances and plays more aggressively

Just a guess....

We're all proud of Cal's stats so here's some more. At UK anyway.

Joe B. 3 Final 4's in 13 seasons. 1 title, 1 runner up, and a 3-2 record.

Rick. 3 Final 4's in 8 seasons. 1 title, 1 runner up, and a 3-2 record.

Tubby. 1 Final 4 in 10 seasons. 1 title, and a 2-0 record.

Cal. 4 Final 4's in 6 seasons. 1 title, and a 3-3 record.

Put more simply Cal has the worst winning percentage in the Final 4 of any coach in UK history. Overall it's even worse, 4-5 I believe. Just sayin. Then consider of the 18 UK player's on NBA rosters at the end of this season 5 played for Tubby, and another was recruited by him. He's been gone for 8 years.

I'd chalk it up to a small sample size, there really aren't enough games to draw from to make a case for causation or anything. The UConn losses were more about matchups, their guard play was a problem for us, and those UK teams probably could've played UConn ten times and lose most of 'em even if you think on paper UK was the better team, if they didn't do anything different to address the guard play. I would consider the WVU loss as a complete fluke, as we had the worst shooting night possible at the same time that a team not known for their shooting hit a ton of threes and that is a case where I'd say, if the same UK team played the same WVU team another ten times, they probably would have never beat UK again. This last game vs Wisconsin is probably just a combination of player brain-freezes, questionable coaching strategy, and awful officiating at critical times.

WVU only shot 38% for that game. They shot 8 for 8 on threes in the first half, but also 0 for 16 on two pointers. In the second half they shot 2 for 15 from the three point arc.

We're all proud of Cal's stats so here's some more. At UK anyway.

Joe B. 3 Final 4's in 13 seasons. 1 title, 1 runner up, and a 3-2 record.

Rick. 3 Final 4's in 8 seasons. 1 title, 1 runner up, and a 3-2 record.

Tubby. 1 Final 4 in 10 seasons. 1 title, and a 2-0 record.

Cal. 4 Final 4's in 6 seasons. 1 title, and a 3-3 record.

Put more simply Cal has the worst winning percentage in the Final 4 of any coach in UK history. Overall it's even worse, 4-5 I believe. Just sayin. Then consider of the 18 UK player's on NBA rosters at the end of this season 5 played for Tubby, and another was recruited by him. He's been gone for 8 years.
You forgot the "1 runner up" for Cal.

When I look at those numbers, it looks to me like you're arguing in support of Cal, btw. Four Final Fours in six seasons is crazy. Add in a title and a runner-up. I guess Tubby is our best Final Four coach ever, because he has a perfect winning percentage?

You forgot the "1 runner up" for Cal.

When I look at those numbers, it looks to me like you're arguing in support of Cal, btw. Four Final Fours in six seasons is crazy. Add in a title and a runner-up. I guess Tubby is our best Final Four coach ever, because he has a perfect winning percentage?

You are correct sir, I certainly intended to mention his RU. And yes I do support Cal. I think he's pretty much the perfect guy for the UK job because he can handle, heck he loves, the attention and pressure. My point was let's just all keep a bit of perspective. Despite his many accomplishments there have been disappointments just as there have with every UK coach. It's a very tough gig. I believe Tubby lost 3 regional final's and he definitely recruited and built 1-2 teams capable of winning a title. Those 3 losses just short of the F4 ended up defining him. If he'd won a couple of them he'd pretty much be comparable to Cal. And I admit a bit of frustration with 4 F4's in 5 years, and just 1 title. I seriously doubt I'm alone. Those kind of chances don't come often. And really I believe the 2010 team was arguably his most talented team. They didn't even make it.

You are correct sir, I certainly intended to mention his RU. And yes I do support Cal. I think he's pretty much the perfect guy for the UK job because he can handle, heck he loves, the attention and pressure. My point was let's just all keep a bit of perspective. Despite his many accomplishments there have been disappointments just as there have with every UK coach. It's a very tough gig. I believe Tubby lost 3 regional final's and he definitely recruited and built 1-2 teams capable of winning a title. Those 3 losses just short of the F4 ended up defining him. If he'd won a couple of them he'd pretty much be comparable to Cal. And I admit a bit of frustration with 4 F4's in 5 years, and just 1 title. I seriously doubt I'm alone. Those kind of chances don't come often. And really I believe the 2010 team was arguably his most talented team. They didn't even make it.
I'm frustrated too. I'm just trying to look at the positives. Four FF's in six years is dam impressive. But Cal needs to win another one, I agree, or he's going to be criticized for it. I think it's akin to going 38-1 with a FF, and yet all we hear is criticism (not necessarily you, I mean the media, fanbase, and rival fans in general) after what should normally be perceived as an incredible year.

Hey this thread got exactly what it was designed to do and the OP didn't even have to do it. That's a subtle, experienced move.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT