ADVERTISEMENT

Miami Drove It Into The Ditch

bballcat4

Junior
Jan 12, 2008
It’s hard to remember that Miami was preseason Top 10 and I think 8th coming into the UK game. They go into tonight’s game 15-16!

They were in last year’s Final 4 and returned most everyone. It caused me to go back and look at last years Final 4.

The seeds were 4, 5, 5, and 9. No one from the top 12 seeded teams made it to Final 4.

I don’t expect that to happen this year because we seem to be more top heavy. But, it does show the randomness of the NCAA and how avg teams can get on a run and win 4-5 games. It’s usually one team and not all four teams still standing on the last weekend.

It’s hard to remember that Miami was preseason Top 10 and I think 8th coming into the UK game. They go into tonight’s game 15-16!

They were in last year’s Final 4 and returned most everyone. It caused me to go back and look at last years Final 4.

The seeds were 4, 5, 5, and 9. No one from the top 12 seeded teams made it to Final 4.

I don’t expect that to happen this year because we seem to be more top heavy. But, it does show the randomness of the NCAA and how avg teams can get on a run and win 4-5 games. It’s usually one team and not all four teams still standing on the last weekend.
They should have been way better this year, but I disagree that they returned “most everyone.” They lost their two best players in the tourney last year, Wong and Miller.

They should have been way better this year, but I disagree that they returned “most everyone.” They lost their two best players in the tourney last year, Wong and Miller.
Thought they returned a bunch of starters.

Regardless, I agree their departing players obviously had more impact than given credit. Plus, they were an average team last year that just got hot at the right time.

Last year must have been a bunch of weak teams at the top. I never thought Ala could win 6 in a row with their style of play. (Frankly, it concerns me with our style of play depending so heavily on the perimeter.)

Some people tout NBA and analytics. I agree 110% with them. But, here’s the difference. You have bad shooting game in playoffs you just come back and play the next game. Best team usually wins the SERIES. You have a bad shooting game in NCAA with nothing else to your game and you GO HOME for the summer.

Well … I just jumped topics like a politician. There was a lot of randomness to last year’s Final 4 and Miami didn’t show up this year.

Last tourney got blown up early.

their fall from grace was a bit stunning, but for those of us who get upset at our injuries, theirs were worse!!!

Yes. The statement about returning most everyone isn’t even technically true, and also fails to consider that they lost two of their most significant players. They lost 3 players who were a part of a 7 man rotation.

Wong played 33.4mpg and scored 16ppg. Miller played 35mpg and scored 15ppg. They are both in the NBA.

They should’ve never been ranked to begin the season.

Yes. The statement about returning most everyone isn’t even technically true, and also fails to consider that they lost two of their most significant players. They lost 3 players who were a part of a 7 man rotation.

Wong played 33.4mpg and scored 16ppg. Miller played 35mpg and scored 15ppg. They are both in the NBA.

They should’ve never been ranked to begin the season.
Barring injuries, returning 3 starters from a Final 4 team will get you ranked every year. Two of them are projected draft picks. There are highly ranked teams with a lot less talent.

I think they also never truly recovered from the shellacking UK gave them. Add in some self-doubt to all the other factors mentioned in this thread and it equals a disappointing season.

Barring injuries, returning 3 starters from a Final 4 team will get you ranked every year. Two of them are projected draft picks. There are highly ranked teams with a lot less talent.
Yeah, they were ranked based on a big run they made in the NCAA-T last year, and they returned most of the team. But they did lose some depth and they had injuries. Still, the ACC record is shocking. The problem from what I see is just a lack of quality depth to step in for injured players, and then it was apparently a landslide in the wrong direction once the losses started piling up.

Reactions: bballcat4
Here's something really embarrassing for Miami:

TOP 10 ROAD WINS OF KENNY PAYNE'S CAREER:
  1. Miami
  2. ‎‎‎‎ ‎_
  3. ‎‎ _
  4. ‎‎ _
  5. ‎‎ _
  6. ‎ _
  7. ‎ _
  8. ‎ _
  9. ‎ _
  10. ‎‎ _

Reactions: gojvc and bballcat4
They have to be the most disappointing team in college basketball

They're certainly one of them. It's a close race between them USC, and Arkansas, and to a lesser extent Vilanova, Texas A&M and Michigan State.

Here's the preseason poll

1. Kansas
2. Duke
3. Purdue
4. Michigan State
5. Marquette
6. UConn
7. Houston
8. Creighton
9. Tennessee
10. Florida Atlantic
11. Gonzaga
12. Arizona
13. Miami
14. Arkansas
15. Texas A&M

16. Kentucky
17. San Diego State
18. Texas
19. North Carolina
20. Baylor
21. USC
22. Villanova

23. Saint Mary's
24. Alabama

They're certainly one of them. It's a close race between them USC, and Arkansas, and to a lesser extent Vilanova, Texas A&M and Michigan State.

1. Kansas
2. Duke
3. Purdue
4. Michigan State
5. Marquette
6. UConn
7. Houston
8. Creighton
9. Tennessee
10. Florida Atlantic
11. Gonzaga
12. Arizona
13. Miami
14. Arkansas
15. Texas A&M

16. Kentucky
17. San Diego State
18. Texas
19. North Carolina
20. Baylor
21. USC
22. Villanova

23. Saint Mary's
24. Alabama
Mich St, Ark, Miami, and Villanova deserve their own end of the season tournament!

Izzo must enjoy lowering expectations before the tournament. I still wouldn’t want to play them. He’d do everything to make it a rock fight and keep it in the 60’s.

Reactions: MegaBlue05

1. Kansas
2. Duke
3. Purdue
4. Michigan State
5. Marquette
6. UConn
7. Houston
8. Creighton
9. Tennessee
10. Florida Atlantic
11. Gonzaga
12. Arizona
13. Miami
14. Arkansas
15. Texas A&M

16. Kentucky
17. San Diego State
18. Texas
19. North Carolina
20. Baylor
21. USC
22. Villanova

23. Saint Mary's
24. Alabama
3-24 isn’t bad for a preseason ranking. Miami, Arkansas and USC.

This season for Miami reminds me of the 1966-67 UK Wildcats. After the previous "Rupp's Runts" season, finishing 27-2 with the loss to Texas Western in the championship game, the 1966-67 team went 13-13 with three returning AP All-Americans (Dampier first team, Riley second team and Jaracz third team).
How did Rupp go 13-13 with 3 AA? That’s Cal like.

Must have been some internal drama going on there .... they had injuries, yes, but that conference is so bad that a talented team with a good coach could get 10 conference wins by sleepwalking into gyms.

NCAA tournament is about who gets hot at the right time in a lot of cases. I think it’s very possible we have another tourney of non 1-3 seeds again.

I would take Kentucky and 3 16 seeds in the final four
I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple 1 & 2 seeds get beat as we come out of S16 weekend.

They lost their two best players basically from last season. They were not going to be anywhere near as good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT