ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Tourney Fact Under Cal

Not that it matters, but I'm positive we were not favored against UConn in 2011, considering they were a higher seed and had beaten us by 18 in Maui.

Not that it matters, but I'm positive we were not favored against UConn in 2011, considering they were a higher seed and had beaten us by 18 in Maui.

Kentucky was a slight favorite in both tournament games against UConn. The result of a single game does not mean much, even if it's head to head. It's just one game out of 30+.

I must have missed the point where...

UK being #4 seed and Uconn being #2 seed makes us the favored.
UK being #8 seed and Uconn being #7 seed makes us the favored.

I must have missed the point where...

UK being #4 seed and Uconn being #2 seed makes us the favored.
UK being #8 seed and Uconn being #7 seed makes us the favored.

UCONN was a 3 seed in 2011. We were favored points wise on the line. That said, I don't think anyone could in reality make UK a favorite in that game. I am pretty sure that was a pure pick um type game at best after what they did to UK in Maui...albeit a long time earlier beefore UK got it together come March.

My only thing is I look at what Cal has done in the NCAA tourney & I'm like....WOW!! Never a better 6 year stretch in UK history. Amazing!!

Read up on UK basketball history. You might be surprised to know that we had a team before Cal arrived...had uniforms & everything! :)

We're almost always favored. So unless we win the championship every year, we're going to have losses to underdogs. And it's not like we're losing to Drexel in the 2nd round. We're losing to really good teams in elite 8s and final 4s.

It's not that Difficult.

Cal is 22-4 in the NCAA tournament while at UK.

To color that as anything other than amazing is a sign of your own mental shortcomings.

Reactions: brianpoe
So many #1 recruiting classes and so many players drafted into the NBA and so few National Championships.

So many rape cases
So many drug issues
So many kids dismissed
So many lack of draft picks
So many embarrassing sex scandals
So many players > Wall
So many wins vs UK
So many dumb posters that troll a rival that owns you

I think it's pretty simple really. The 2011 and 2014 teams were more able to spread the floor and dribble penetrate and create offense at 4 positions at all times. In 2010 and 2015 that was not the case, though we dominated we were poor at times in the half court. 2012 we were like 2011 and 2014 just better. In Cal's system you have to have a 3 and 4 who can penetrate and score.

I see 2016 as being like 2011 and 2014. The roster is more balanced and will be better in the half court. We will lose some games but in the end we just might win The National Championship.

I think in 2010 and 2015 we should have pushed the ball more in transition instead of settling in the half court, since the half court offense wasn't great.

I think in 2010 and 2015 we should have pushed the ball more in transition instead of settling in the half court, since the half court offense wasn't great.

We finished 5th in offensive efficiency last year. Our offense wasn't always a thing of beauty, but it was effective.

Read up on UK basketball history. You might be surprised to know that we had a team before Cal arrived...had uniforms & everything! :)
It's the best six years we've had under one coach since Rupp. Get over it.

No, no...you keep him, PLEASE. Don't think you'd ever find ANY UL fan interested in that sort of thing. Sorry, he's yours until death or NCAA investigation do you part.

Keep wishing for that one Rocko. Hold your piss until it happens if you're confident.

It's ok, you and your kind are filthy liars. We've been through this before, remember? Rick was a cheater. Rick was scum. Rick was going pro never to return. It's the same chit we hear now, just different hair styles.

Seriously, don't get fired. The welfare city of louisville is already heavy on the books. Get out there and buss those tables.

Keep wishing for that one Rocko. Hold your piss until it happens if you're confident.

It's ok, you and your kind are filthy liars. We've been through this before, remember? Rick was a cheater. Rick was scum. Rick was going pro never to return. It's the same chit we hear now, just different hair styles.

Seriously, don't get fired. The welfare city of louisville is already heavy on the books. Get out there and buss those tables.
First of all props for even knowing the character Rocko. That alone exceeds my unequivocably low expectations of you. Secondly, you still have never offered even a cursory (look it up) defense of your own coach's failure to meet even the most meager expectations of BBN. So tuck yourself in at your momma's basement and have a good night. And, don't worry, someday your breakup remorse with Rick will all seem like just a bad dream. You will eventually heal and move on.

We finished 5th in offensive efficiency last year. Our offense wasn't always a thing of beauty, but it was effective.
Yeah sure.

My point is just this. I love Cal he has done great things for UK. But every time we lose in the tourney and he says "I really thought we would win this game. I wish there was something I could have done to help them out like draw up a play or call a timeout." To me that means the program requires the players to figure it out. Cal takes a backseat and requires the players to make the adjustments to win.

For example. We were down by 15 against UCONN in 2014 and the players told Cal we needed to play zone. We never play zone. Cal said that if you guys want to play zone we will play zone. And they did and we got back into the game and about won.

In conclusion the program requires the players to figure it out and make the decisions.

That is my take.

And he is the first to give the team all the credit when they win. Don't you get it? That is why we don't watch film or do game planning. He gives the team the required skills but the program requires them to play, react, and adjust.

Lfmao at old man...mo fka talkin bout leavin ships on the table...better be thinking bout what the hell will happen once sextino leaves...oh wait they'll get the brad Stevens

How long do you all think old man proof read his post? At least 45 minutes IMO.

There's some truth to what you say. Cal gets great players and empowers them to react and make quick decisions on the court.

It's a big part of the reason that he has had so many freshman dominated teams perform so well.

He isn't bogging them down with minutia. He is putting them in position to make plays.

Calipari is a great recruiter and can bring in great talent most years but IMO UK has actually underachieved under Calipari considering the talent that they have had.

Talent can get you to the final four but IMO coaching wins it because the talent has evened up by the time you get to the final four. Caliparis record after getting to the final four should be better considering the talent he has had. Heck the most talented team he likely has had didn't even make the final four losing in the elite eight.
lol. Now that's funny stuff right there. Clueless, ridiculous, and wrong- but funny nevertheless.

Even Dick Vitale believed Cal could never win the title with freshmen and when he did, Dick was amazed at what Cal had done. After what happened this past year, I just don't expect it to happen very often.

Answer this: What would Coach K. have done with that talent?

Didn't we already see that in 1999? Then it was Duke that had to listen to "fill in the blank coach would have won with all that talent" nonsense.

When a rival fan is reduced to arguing "you haven't won enough national championships" you know life is good.

Are we sure this isn't 3rex under a different name?

7-1.

I don't really think you understand the definition of trolling (note the name), thus a rival visiting your board. So, rather than defend your guy's competence in a real world conversation, you choose to attack our coach? A sure sign of a gun devoid of ammo. Nice. So, if that's all you can offer, end of conversation. Got better things to do.
It's just really hard to take you seriously. You're like that 135 lb buddy who is a little lopsided after 2 bud lights and decides to walk up to that 350 lb gorilla sitting at the bar and talk about his momma.

Is it admirable? In a way. But it's only possible thanks to stupidity. After 1-7, your best run at Louisville maybe ever being overshadowed by big brother, and a zillion embarrassing scandals with both your coach and players while ours have been nearly perfect, you'd think you'd wait for a better time to run your mouth.

Louisville fans stupidity knows no bounds. They have been in their best run in the history of their program during the Cal era with 2 final fours and a title and yet just like always big brother has done even better. We have 4 final fours in that span and own them with a 7-1 record head to head with our title, not to mention knocking them out of the final four and sweet 16 in 2 of those years and yet those jackasses still have the nerve to think they can talk ish. Talk about delusional.

Why are people so confused with best young prospects vs best college players? Talent today is described as kids who will be drafted on potential. Much harder to coach a bunch of these kids than older players who know the system.
and...why are "talented freshman" supposed to be better than a team full of good upperclassman that may have developed a HIGHER B-BALL IQ...talent does not always translate

Reactions: brianpoe
and...why are "talented freshman" supposed to be better than a team full of good upperclassman that may have developed a HIGHER B-BALL IQ...talent does not always translate
Neither does experience.

Who did Wisconsin lose to? It wasn't a bunch of good upperclassmen.

Neither does experience.

Who did Wisconsin lose to? It wasn't a bunch of good upperclassmen.
I did not single out a specific team...but since you did...
Wisconsin title game was against us, they were in tune and ready to go. Their upperclassman had the sting of last year. And yes, for the billionth time Cal and the team did not close the game out.
Duke...hmmmm? seems they had 3 freshmen and maybe talent did translate...ya' know; Sh*t just happens sometimes doesn't it. and that is life

For the life of me I don't understand why some of our fans focus on the four losses instead of the amazing wins over Ohio State, UNC, U of L twice, Kansas, Indiana, Wichita State, Michigan, Wisconsin and Notre Dame. Not to mention absolute blowouts over West Virginia and Wake Forest.

You realize UConn is the only team Cal hasn't beaten that he's faced in the tournament as our coach? Hope we get another shot at them.

Reactions: michaeluk26
We've been the best team left in the tournament every year that we've lost under Cal. We also sported a .700 or above winning percentage in regular season, SEC Tournament, NCAA Tournament, NCAA Final Four, and NCAA Championship game. Not anymore in FF and beyond.

Interestingly, we actually look like UNC with Cal. I forever made fun of UNC for their abysmal winning percentage in FF and beyond as they didn't even make the statistical 1 in 4 clip meaning they couldn't win 1 championship for every 4 FF appearances and that's where we are now. Cal very well could be our Dean Smith: tons of talent and Final Four appearances but not performing very well after that.

Thrilling tournament wins under Tubby...

98...Duke
98...Stanford
98...Utah
99...Kansas

Maybe 03 Wisconsin? That's it. We are the most consistent program, regular and post season, under Cal. Enjoy the ride. He's not John Wooden but then John Wooden only had to beat Cal St. Fullerton and San Francisco every year to get to the Final Four, so....

Rick 2 titles in ~30 years = OMG AMAZING COACH!
Cal 1 title in ~25 years = CANT COACH HIS WAY OUT OF A PAPER BAG!

/Card logic

In 2010 and 2015 we were the heavy favorite and lost to Underdogs. In 2011 and 2014 we lost to UCONN and we were the favorite in both games.

The only games we were the underdog were against 1 seeded Ohio State and 2 seeded North Carolina in 2011, and 1 seeded Wichita State, 4 seeded Louisville, 2 seeded Michigan, and 2 seeded Wisconsin in 2014.

So we are 6-0 as the underdog and have only lost as a favorite.

Is this just a coincidence?
Injuries play into this too. Remember having to play with WCS and having to rely on Randle who got smothered. This year, I am going into it thinking any game is totally up for grabs...no "easy wins"...just look at our OT games this past year. No game is predictable. I would have never expected the Kansas or UCLA results either. And all of the talk about WVU but we whipped them...nobody knows crap is what I am going on this coming year. Let the mouth pieces yap before the games. Any team can win at any time. Screw the experts and the stats.

So many #1 recruiting classes and so many players drafted into the NBA and so few National Championships.

10985408_885809208125118_4425756171027411706_n_zpschv9kc5l.jpg

Reactions: michaeluk26
ADVERTISEMENT