ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana wanted Calipari prior to hiring Sampson

Tom Creans buyout Counter is always running, July 1st 2016 the buyout drops significantly but July is too late to change coaches so they got him 2 more years minimum I think.

http://www.tomcreanbuyout.com/

Honestly don't see the buyout as a deterrent. I think the admins want to get the next hire right and don't see anyone available that's worth the move at this point. If this is a disappointing year I can see us parting ways but I'd hope they're keeping their eye on Stevens and what happens in boston over the next few years. I might go insane if we fire crean a year early, make a hire, only to have stevens leave the NBA for duke or UNC the following year.

Reactions: lacocat
We'll just agree to disagree. I've seen him play several times. I played enough ball to know what I'm seeing. He doesn't have a point guard's natural instincts or vision, he doesn't have a great handle and turns the ball over, and he's not quick enough to consistently get into the paint under control the way Yogi does. But I'm sure he's a good kid, and good luck to him. I'll be happy for him and for me if he is Indiana's point guard in 2017 and 2018. Crean won't be doing him any favors if he forces him off the 2G spot where he might be successful after Blackmon leaves following this year.

One final thought; I don't buy your comparison to Andrew Harrison, who was 6'5,'' bullishly strong for a guard, and with very good instincts. But if I did, I'd point out one difference that worked in Andrew's favor: He was playing with Julius Randle, Karl Towns, Trey Lyles, Devin Booker, James Young, Willie Cauley-Stein, Dakari Johnson, his brother Aaron, Alex Poythress and Marcus Lee, to name some of the NBA-caliber talent on Kentucky's last two Final Four teams. After this year, Robert Johnson will be feeding the ball to...Emmit Holt, Nick Zeisloft and Tim Priller?

I'm not comparing him as a player to Andrew just his numbers were similar. I'm not sold that Blackmon is leaving after this year, not if he doesn't drastically improve his defense. If he does leave I could see Johnson moving to the 2g depending on what guards we bring in next year. I think he's smart enough to play the point. Crean's always kind of had those shooting mentality PGs anyways, and he's a pretty good shooter. He's not as quick as yogi but he's quick enough to be successful on the college level, not to mention he was hobbled for the later half of the year after injuring his knee against OSU. I think his numbers considering our post players last year paint him in a better light. He'll have a senior Hartman, Bryant, Holt, Juan Morgan and who ever comes in which will likely be a 5 man class at least. Priller won't see the floor, hardly ever, Zeisloft graduates this year, but him surrounded by the guys I listed and possibly Blackmon is a pretty decent starting 5. Hard to look that far ahead though as Crean always has a transfer or two, he himself could not be here so you never know. I like him this year as a backup to Yogi though, will be interested to see what kind of jump he makes.

We'll just agree to disagree. I've seen him play several times. I played enough ball to know what I'm seeing. He doesn't have a point guard's natural instincts or vision, he doesn't have a great handle and turns the ball over, and he's not quick enough to consistently get into the paint under control the way Yogi does. But I'm sure he's a good kid, and good luck to him. I'll be happy for him and for me if he is Indiana's point guard in 2017 and 2018. Crean won't be doing him any favors if he forces him off the 2G spot where he might be successful after Blackmon leaves following this year.

One final thought; I don't buy your comparison to Andrew Harrison, who was 6'5,'' bullishly strong for a guard, and with very good instincts. But if I did, I'd point out one difference that worked in Andrew's favor: He was playing with Julius Randle, Karl Towns, Trey Lyles, Devin Booker, James Young, Willie Cauley-Stein, Dakari Johnson, his brother Aaron, Alex Poythress and Marcus Lee, to name some of the NBA-caliber talent on Kentucky's last two Final Four teams. After this year, Robert Johnson will be feeding the ball to...Emmit Holt, Nick Zeisloft and Tim Priller?

LAST YEAR he fed the ball to absolute crap for big in every way. Great point..that can really screw up a guard.

However, Holt is pretty good, and Bryant by default is wins better than Perea. Bryant has said h es s very likely at IU for two or three years: with multiple summer school sessions that gets our players close to or with a degree.

Johnson should improve in large part because our big will too.

In 7 years Crean has compiled an impressive 49-77 record in the Big 10. Keep up the great work coach!

well, if he came into a better situation he'd be 77-49.

:boxing:

that would be a very respectable record in the nfl.

Holy crap.

After all the grief Crean gets on this board, please tell me that video is not real.

Holy crap, your creepy pedophile coach was seen kissing your boy on the lips in front of thousands. Sick.

If you think the AD rookie prank was bad, you don't want to know what nfl rookies go through.

I've never seen AD or Cal lip kiss another dude...

Sick freak.

P.S. - were you even alive in 87, or does your granddaddy tell you about the "good ol days" in the 80's?

Re; Bryant; Everybody says they are staying for two or three years. If he is any good, he'll be gone. He may be a two year player, but not because he loves summer school. The guy he most reminds me of is a smaller Dakari Johnson, who ended up being a two-year player. Dakari was the No. 1 rated center in his HS class. He dominated at the very top HS level. I was actually there when Montverde Academy won the so-called HS national championship in DC. But it took him nearly a whole year to adjust to college ball, especially on defense and learning how not to foul. Look for the same with Bryant, which, with all else working out, would leave you about where you were last year. In terms of this coming year, IU would have been better off with senior Perea probably.

Agree with the analysis, but disagree about Perea!

If Bryant is another Dakari Johnson, he would be a huge upgrade over Perea.

...... I do enjoy the stories you've come up with in your head that are presented as facts, though entertaining, aren't based on anything real. Rather than staying on topic and having an actual discussion, people attack on Indiana's program/fans/coach which is weird and mildly disturbing.
Lost in all of the genuine basketball discusssion above.....................................an IU fan actually complaining to UK fans about us presenting baseless accusations about their program, fans, and coach as fact.

Oh the irony.

Lost in all of the genuine basketball discusssion above.....................................an IU fan actually complaining to UK fans about us presenting baseless accusations about their program, fans, and coach as fact.

Oh the irony.

Yeah its pretty odd to talk to a specific person about senseless drivel they posted rather then me bring up what senseless drivel some random IU fan said at some other point in time in some other conversation or thread. What was I thinking?

cheating scandals
A-Hope
Drugs
Alcohol arrests
Suspensions
Multiple players being "creaned"
Historically bad in court results
Players drunk driving and running over each other
Fake ID arrests
Cutting down nets after losses
Blow by handshakes
Scared to play UK outside of your cracker box arena, then again you should be given the past 20+ years
Comete irrelevance

Dirtiest program of the last 10 years not named UCONN

cheating scandals
A-Hope
Drugs
Alcohol arrests
Suspensions
Multiple players being "creaned"
Historically bad in court results
Players drunk driving and running over each other
Fake ID arrests
Cutting down nets after losses
Blow by handshakes
Scared to play UK outside of your cracker box arena, then again you should be given the past 20+ years
Comete irrelevance

Dirtiest program of the last 10 years not named UCONN

Repeating nonsense ad nauseum doesn't make it any more compelling, IMO.

A
Yeah its pretty odd to talk to a specific person about senseless drivel they posted rather then me bring up what senseless drivel some random IU fan said at some other point in time in some other conversation or thread. What was I thinking?

"Some" random IU fan? Are you kidding me? The majority of your fanbase constantly slings junk about Cal and UK, with zero proof whatsoever. Maybe you never have, I don't know.

Who you were adressing and why wasn't the point of my comment. I though it was pretty easy to see that I was merely pointing out the irony of an IU fan complaining about unfounded accusations against their program/coach.

The only nonsense I have seen is the few times I have gone to Peegs. The delusion of IU fans posting there is of epic proportions.

That's pretty much what every free board is. Generally people who pay for recruiting info are more inclined to discuss basketball rather than flame and make pointless posts.

A

"Some" random IU fan? Are you kidding me? The majority of your fanbase constantly slings junk about Cal and UK, with zero proof whatsoever. Maybe you never have, I don't know.

Who you were adressing and why wasn't the point of my comment. I though it was pretty easy to see that I was merely pointing out the irony of an IU fan complaining about unfounded accusations against their program/coach.

Well I'm not sure why you'd bring it up. Attacking me for others transgressions is a bit ridiculous.

John Calipari(57) was 29 years old the last time Indiana was relevant...

So you're only relevant when you win a championship? Was UK not relevant last year? Was UK not relevant between 98-12? Was UK not relevant in the 80's? I get the flame posts as they can be fun and entertaining but at least be smart and original about it.

So you're only relevant when you win a championship? Was UK not relevant last year? Was UK not relevant between 98-12? Was UK not relevant in the 80's? I get the flame posts as they can be fun and entertaining but at least be smart and original about it.
Whether you or any other IU fan want to accept it, Indiana basketball is a shell of what the program use to be. And Crean is a complete joke who has been an abysmal failure. I can only hope he stays there the next 10 years and drives the program completely in the ground.

Whether you or any other IU fan want to accept it, Indiana basketball is a shell of what the program use to be. And Crean is a complete joke who has been an abysmal failure. I can only hope he stays there the next 10 years and drives the program completely in the ground.

I agree the program is down right now and that Crean is not the guy, abysmal failure is a little much though. He won the first B1G championship since 02 and first out right since 93, the rest has left much to be desired but he's not been a complete failure, just hasn't lived up to expectations. But to say the program has been irrelevant since 1987 is pretty far off base, the program was still really good and very solid in the early 90s, the 02 final 4, Sampson actually had very competitive teams his 2 years. I still would have gladly taken Cal back then before Davis or Sampson. The Davis hire was terribly short sighted as well as the Sampson hire.

I agree the program is down right now and that Crean is not the guy, abysmal failure is a little much though. He won the first B1G championship since 02 and first out right since 93, the rest has left much to be desired but he's not been a complete failure, just hasn't lived up to expectations. But to say the program has been irrelevant since 1987 is pretty far off base, the program was still really good and very solid in the early 90s, the 02 final 4, Sampson actually had very competitive teams his 2 years. I still would have gladly taken Cal back then before Davis or Sampson. The Davis hire was terribly short sighted as well as the Sampson hire.
I never said IU has been irrelevant since 1987. In fact, through 2002, it was a solid program. But since the Sampson debacle and Crean as its coach, it has slipped off the precipice.

I never said IU has been irrelevant since 1987. In fact, through 2002, it was a solid program. But since the Sampson debacle and Crean as its coach, it has slipped off the precipice.

You did not. But you replied to my post to the guy who said it so I put it in the post. Sad I even post this but was a junior in high school in 2002 and convinced my parents to let me go out and watch the title game on a school night. I used the line " I don't know the next time we'll get to the championship game" as a reason to go, yet inside I thought that was a ridiculous statement. How wrong/right I was at the same time.

Repeating nonsense ad nauseum doesn't make it any more compelling, IMO.

Only nonsense I see is candy stripes, net cutting after losses, a creepy coach who kisses men on the mouth, and a program who thinks it's an elite, yet hasn't mattered nationally since the 1980's

UK was in the Final Four last year scooter...

Indiana storms the floor and has had dedicated trophy cases to Sweet 16 teams.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Don't forget the UK SHRINE they built over a December buzzer beater at home. The true definition of a desperate, has been, destroyed program

For sure!

There are delusional posters and sane ones on all boards.

That sums it up for me. Out of this thread!

Cheers, all.
Honest question, is the fan base ready for Crean to go? Who do you all think will replace him? Are people still thinking Stephens?

Brother in law is an IU fan, so I usually try and keep it respectful. Not always, but...

John Calipari(57) was 29 years old the last time Indiana was relevant...
UK was in the Final Four last year scooter...

I'm not sure if you're slow or what. Indiana had final fours in 92 and 02, an elite eight in 93, had a championship caliber team in 94 until Alan Henderson broke his leg.

Honest question, is the fan base ready for Crean to go? Who do you all think will replace him? Are people still thinking Stephens?

Brother in law is an IU fan, so I usually try and keep it respectful. Not always, but...

Oh yeah. Some still think he can turn things around but the majority are ready for a change. Stevens is a wish, it might come true but I don't know. I don't see anyone worth it right now. Maybe see how A. Miller does this year, maybe Marshall but he's got the same personality as Crean and high demands from what I read. Stevens is #1 but he's still in the middle of their rebuild. Maybe he gets fed up maybe not, but I say he's worth the wait. Either way they have to get the next hire right or it truly feels like we'll be doomed for mediocrity.

I'm not sure if you're slow or what. Indiana had final fours in 92 and 02, an elite eight in 93, had a championship caliber team in 94 until Alan Henderson broke his leg.

2002 was 13 years ago and counting...

Atleast you have the UK SHRINE lil fella.

Only thing I see that's slow is indiana basketball teams, and Indiana fans who come to UK boards begging for recognition. Louisville, our little brother has passed lowly Indiana in program standards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT