ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana wanted Calipari prior to hiring Sampson

I just couldn't imagine what we'd be dealing with had Cal not worked out for us.

IU threads are pure gold though.

One coach sends players to the NBA. The other sends them to Armored Athlete.

Much like their time in Bloomington they could not advance very far in a tournament.

Reactions: brianpoe
PLEASE IU administrarion and fans..........................................please always keep that mind-set.
Seriously. I used to really hammer on Tom Crean and point out how terrible his resume is. It's really really bad. But then I realized he was on the verge of getting fired, and that might mean IU goes out and hires a competent coach. We really don't want that, so we should just keep the Crean bashing to a minimum.

When a coach gets universities suspended and players aren't getting college degrees, that Coach has not met the very minimum bar of competence. That's why Sampson was an example of a disaster of a college coach, even if he was a good in game coach.

When a coach gets universities suspended and players aren't getting college degrees, that Coach has not met the very minimum bar of competence. That's why Sampson was an example of a disaster of a college coach, even if he was a good in game coach.

Ahh, but you see, No.1............The facts say Cal didn't get anyone suspended. No 2. The facts say all of his players at UK graduate unless they leave early for their chosen profession. And, No 3. The facts say that UK has one of the best APR standings in the nation.

AND he goes to Final Fours and wins championships.

Why do ALL Indiana fans bring up graduating players. I know why but we are talking about basketball and winning. Isn't that what college football and basketball is about? Who wins it all. Why doesn't Indiana fans talk about graduating football players? I've never heard it mentioned. If they want the graduating trophy give it to them or compete against Cornell for that trophy. Just blows my mind how All and I mean all Indiana fans reach for anything to justify being second tier. Please NCAA, give Indiana the graduating trophy! Please

Reactions: mapcatfan
Ahh, but you see, No.1............The facts say Cal didn't get anyone suspended. No 2. The facts say all of his players at UK graduate unless they leave early for their chosen profession. And, No 3. The facts say that UK has one of the best APR standings in the nation.

I was talking about Sampson.

They did what to Calipari? That town just gets creepier.

"Monday a report in the Bloomington-Herald Times fingered Calipari as the top candidate for the Indiana job. But instead it goes to Sampson. He's spent the last 12 years at Oklahoma, rebuilding their program. The Sooners went 20-9 this season and lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament."​

They did what to Calipari? That town just gets creepier.

"Monday a report in the Bloomington-Herald Times fingered Calipari as the top candidate for the Indiana job. But instead it goes to Sampson. He's spent the last 12 years at Oklahoma, rebuilding their program. The Sooners went 20-9 this season and lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament."​

Completely agree from an IU perspective!

Any IU fan is lying if they say they don't wish IU would have hired Cal back then. Your team would have won multiple big ten titles and made multiple final fours along with being one of the most talked about programs in the nation.

And spare me the graduation notion. Its a hilarious notion as many other schools players stay four years and still don't graduate. The reality is college athletics are a joke. I love UK and get a ton of enjoyment from watching college athletics, but it makes no sense combining school with a multi billion dollar industry where a majority of the players don't have the time to get a real education and generally don't care about getting one in the first place.

I'm just thankful Clappy, is iu basketball coach and not UK :pray::smiley: Can I get witness!!!

But Whosiers want all four-year white guys from Indiana who can shoot the 3!!!

They want to brag about business degrees.

NITS? Who cares. It's about academics!!

After the Sampson debacle IU made a HOME RUN hire bringing in Tom Crean! Coach Crean has put IU back on the front burner of college basketball!

Last edited:
This thread has been fun, but it ignores a central fact: Whatever IU wanted, Cal wasn't going to Bloomington. He had his eyes on the Big Time, and was content to wait it out in Memphis until the Kentucky job came open again. There might have been one or two other jobs he would have considered, but Indiana hasn't been the Big Time for a long time.

I suspect this is Crean's last year, even with a Round of 32 finish or whatever. IU is headed back to where they were in 08-09 after the entire starting five blows town after this year. Crean isn't even on the radar for a competent point guard to replace Yogi, much less a Calipari-like haul which would be necessary to just tread water in the middle of the B-10.

It'll be really interesting to see who they can attract as their next coach. I suspect their fan base will be unpleasantly surprised.

You do realize we have a pg in Robert Johnson on our roster? Of course you don't, you don't really know much beyond this board. I do enjoy the stories you've come up with in your head that are presented as facts, though entertaining, aren't based on anything real. Rather than staying on topic and having an actual discussion, people attack on Indiana's program/fans/coach which is weird and mildly disturbing.

I can only hope the IUsetobes think converting shooting guard Robert Johnson to starting point guard is a viable answer. The offense went into slo-mo when he filled in for Yogi last year. I guess when your ceiling is the Sweet 16 and your floor is not invited to the NIT, any sort of patchwork plan will do. That's how a program manages to get beyond the Sweet 16 once in 23 years -- since the spring of Bill Clinton's FIRST inauguration (Wow, can that possibly be right? Yes, yes it is.)

Md; I know you guys have taken that screen shot of Crean moving in to give his son a kiss (I assume he gets all the way to his cheek) to the max. Never seen that video of (I think) Davis before. It was posted by an IU fan so I take its veracity with a grain of salt, but it appears to be on UK property.

Is that thing real? ...and if it is, why on the world does anyone here ever post the Crean screen shot as a point of embarrasment?!?

Crean certainly has coaching deficiencies, but holy crap.

I can only hope the IUsetobes think converting shooting guard Robert Johnson to starting point guard is a viable answer. The offense went into slo-mo when he filled in for Yogi last year.

For a freshmen that was injured for part of year he didn't do bad. 9pts/2.5 ast, thankfully next year he'll have another year under his belt which I'd expect him to cut his turnovers down. He's a bit of a combo guard but I think he'll do well this year and next.

For a freshmen that was injured for part of year he didn't do bad. 9pts/2.5 ast, thankfully next year he'll have another year under his belt which I'd expect him to cut his turnovers down. He's a bit of a combo guard but I think he'll do well this year and next.

R Johnson was waaayyy too turnover prone last year to be even a moderately effective pg.

Great kid, strong work ethic, excellent student.
If he can fix the to problem he'll be excellent going forward.

Reactions: lacocat
He'll do 'well' by Indiana standards, getting you parked on the bubble in March the two years after Yogi goes, if Clappy overachieves by his standards in recruiting the next two years. Otherwise, the NIT is your ceiling.

The players on Indiana's last meaningful team are men in their 50s now. The way it is going, you aren't going to seriously challenge again in their lifespans.

Again try and stay on topic instead of regurgitating the same clappy blah blah blah crap. He had fairly similar numbers that Andrew had. I'd like to see him cut his turnovers down like Andrew did from his Fresh-Soph year. As the other IU fan mentioned he's good a good work ethic and is a smart player. I'd expect him to improve quite a bit with the usual fresh-soph jump.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT