ADVERTISEMENT

I’m NOT DOUBTING BREA…..Just a ???

HYTCHYE ISLAND

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 7, 2013
I am asking the question to all of you, my BIG BLUE brothers & sisters, are we expecting too much from Brea if we were fortunate enough to land him? The young fella averaged 11.8pts a game at Dayton. Say he averaged that same 11.8 for us next year, I personally dont see that as enough from our starting 2 guard? What do you all think? Again, I LOVE the guys game and IM NOT BASHING HIM. Just curious if he can be as impactful as we hope he may be?

Expectations are always too high here. Thats part of it. Also let’s make it clear. He played at Dayton. He would be just as fortunate to play here.

I am asking the question to all of you, my BIG BLUE brothers & sisters, are we expecting too much from Brea if we were fortunate enough to land him? The young fella averaged 11.8pts a game at Dayton. Say he averaged that same 11.8 for us next year, I personally dont see that as enough from our starting 2 guard? What do you all think? Again, I LOVE the guys game and IM NOT BASHING HIM. Just curious if he can be as impactful as we hope he may be?
He took 6 three point shots per game and made right at half after being at 45% two years ina row before that. Also, he ranked #3 overall among those who took enough threes to qualify andtook over 200 threes and you have to go down to #14 in percentage to find somebody that took 170 threes. He is a brilliant shooter.
On one side of the floor he hit 55% of his three point shots and 45% on the other side. Pope is into analytics so he will know that. Guess which side Pope will have him shooting from?

Pope's former teams don't tend to have a lot of scoring from one individual player. His players seem to avg around 8-13 pg. He spreads the scoring around a lot. Brea will play the role of both assassin and decoy. Everyone knows he can shoot, so it opens space for the other guys. When they sleep on him, he will make them pay.

Popes' offense generates a lot of 3s. He could average 12 plus pts for us imo if he keeps his percentage high. Probably more like 10 ppg.

He played against some of the best teams last year and hit 100 3's out of 200 attempts. Watch the videos on him, he is mobile sort of like Reeves and would be good at UK. Same for Jaxson out of BYU. We get both of those and we have some serious bucket getters. Need 1 PG and maybe 1 true power guy if we get those 2.

Reactions: RunninRichie
He's like a Kellen Grady type player I'd reckon
That’s what I’m thinking too….is a Kellen Grady type player enough though? Kellen was a shooter no doubt but not a lot other than that. We NEED some guys that can get buckets in bunches by way of 3’s and getting to the rim!

He took 6 three point shots per game and made right at half after being at 45% two years ina row before that. Also, he ranked #3 overall among those who took enough threes to qualify andtook over 200 threes and you have to go down to #14 in percentage to find somebody that took 170 threes. He is a brilliant shooter.
On one side of the floor he hit 55% of his three point shots and 45% on the other side. Pope is into analytics so he will know that. Guess which side Pope will have him shooting from?
The right side.

Reactions: ukfan1622
He’s a great shooter. That’s his appeal. Other than that he’s not appealing. But I’d take a great 3 point shooter as a role player

That’s what I’m thinking too….is a Kellen Grady type player enough though? Kellen was a shooter no doubt but not a lot other than that. We NEED some guys that can get buckets in bunches by way of 3’s and getting to the rim!

I'll die on the Kellen Grady hill, that he was cooking before he had foot troubles and had UK in the driver's seat to get a Final4.. but once he and Ty got banged up, you could see our team was totally changed. You just can't lose your top two shooting guards/wings and not have your team come to a screeching halt, especially with an undersized PG.

So I'll gladly take a healthy Grady IMO. Some of those wins in the middle of the year was the best UK looked over the last 4 or 5 years (aside from maybe a few games this year?).

Reed averaged 12.5 ppg. Anybody averaging around that range is liable to go for 20+ on any given night. Sometimes it's the threat of scoring that matters as much as the scoring. And as others have pointed out, Pope seems to have teams with relatively evenly distributed scoring. Last year at BYU 7 players averaged 9ppg or more, Robinson led them in scoring with 14.2ppg, and the team averaged over 80/game.

You have to remember, 99% of people on here know nothing about these players other than what random people on Twitter are saying, and maybe they’ve seen a few highlights. They will bitch and moan if we don’t get so and so and they’ve never watched one of their games and didn’t even know their name a few days ago. It’s pretty comical. This guy could be great, but he also didn’t start for a mid-major so I think I’ll trust Coach Pope and see how everything pans out in the end.

Last edited:

50% from three on 200 attempts. Putting g that in Pope's offense...yea.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Considering all who we have on board I’m figuring we will have 4-5 guys averaging in that 10-15 point range with a couple more approaching double digits. Scoring is going to be balanced. We don’t have to have a 20 point per game scorer to still be good and competitive.

i’ve watched most of ud’s games this year. he may not be a great defender but when you need points he can give them to you from anywhere on the court
i’d love to see him at uk but also sad to see ud lose so much from their team—brea, holmes and santos

Reactions: entropy13 and BBUK
I think Pope will probably play everyone. I think you might see players scoring anywhere from 5 ppg to 17 ppg. 5 players in double figures, and 2 more really close. I am guessing about 85 ppg on offense and 68 ppg on defense. I did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn last night! JMHO!
He will likely play at least 10 in the rotation. He coaches like Rick and Rick always had a 10 man rotation. The 10th guy didn't always play more than 6 minutes or so. But he always had 10 in the rotation.

Reactions: westerncat
I don't think he is going to be asked to be something he hasn't already proven to be, a high caliber shooter.

Poplar and Brea would look good as wings in this offense. Get a PG that can shoot outside and those bigs are going to get lots of 1 on 1 down low.

Shooters do more than just score. They space out the floor so defenders can't help, which creates driving lanes. Their very existence on the floor creates gravity that pulls defenders to them. At the same time, if we are banking on Brea scoring 17ppg... then we might be in trouble. But I wouldn't expect we will need that from any one player next year.

Also, he has experience beating Oakland. That's something we have struggled with recently.

With Brea, Kentucky would have six players who averaged between 9 and 14 points a game in conference play —not counting any contribution from Perry or Chandler. Thats more players averaging 9-points plus already than the offensive juggernaut, defensive sieve of last year. And the roster is still taking shape.

Daron holmes took 399 shots, Dayton's offense ran through him, Brea shot 16 free throws all season, he wasn't driving the ball, he was in the game for one reason, to shoot threes when Holmes was taking double teams, Brea took 246 shots, 201 of those were 3 pointers. He fits real well for a coach who's team made the 2nd most 3 pointers in the NCAA last year.

Reactions: DraftCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT