ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Speculation

Jun 10, 2015
I'm excited to see how our roster comes together, and to an extent, Arkansas’s as well—only because I can't wait for us to rock them at Rupp next season. This is just for fun, but by reading the early tea leaves, it seems we have a shot at landing:

For us, it looks like:

• Hall
  • Wiz
  • Robinson
  • Perry
  • Burks - Haven’t heard anything yet.
  • Reed - Small percentage chance.
  • Maybe Chandler? One can hope. - It's worth noting that he grew up a Utah fan. But he has stated that he wants to play against top notch competition.
I know our staff is not going to be outworked, and hopefully, they are on the phone with the likes of:

• Johnell Davis - Other options include the NBA draft, maybe Michigan.
  • Vladislav Goldin - Other options are UConn and Michigan.
  • Clifford Omoruyi - Other options include UConn, but we are going to need some muscle; this is the SEC.
  • BJ Freeman - Big-time talent and proven winner. Would wreak havoc at the 2 with Jaxson Robinson at the 3.
  • Jonas Aidoo - Tough kid, we have all seen him play.
Other possible fits include:

• Boopie Miller - Small, shifty guard from Wake Forest, who averaged over 15 ppg and 36% from three.
  • Ryan Conwell - Big guard, shoots over 40% from 3. Averaged over 16 per game at Indiana State. Could also go to St Louis???
  • Jalen Blackmon - Checks all the boxes. Great shooter from three, great free throw shooter as well.
  • Tremon Marks - Big, experienced guard who is battle tested.
    Cade Tyson - Big time shooter already being pursued heavily by Tenn and UNC.
    Malik Mack- over 17 ppg as a freshman had 27 at Indiana.
It also goes without mentioning that I would love to see the staff keep Fland around, he would thrive in Pope's system.

Arkansas’ roster could include the following players:

• Knox
  • Richmond
  • Wagner
  • JQ
  • Z.
*Also read that BJ Freeman is a possibility.

This is a fun exercise based on pure speculation. I'm checking in almost hourly to see if anything becomes official, but it's fun watching the rosters come together.

Of course, I hope we have the better roster, but I will be following personnel moves for both schools. The next 2 weeks should be interesting, and I'm pulling for Pope to make a couple of splash additions.

Who would you be chasing right now if you were making the decisions?

Reactions: kybloo92
I hope that Pope can convince Thiero and Big Z to come back. Big Z should have been salivating to play for the right coach in Pope as a big man that has been in the league. Cal will never utilize him to his strengths the way Pope could in a 5-out offense.

I hope that Pope can convince Thiero and Big Z to come back. Big Z should have been salivating to play for the right coach in Pope as a big man that has been in the league. Cal will never utilize him to his strengths the way Pope could in a 5-out offense.
I think I read he entered the portal.

I'm not sure Cliff Omoruyi would be a good fit for Pope's offense. He's good, but more of a traditional back to the basket center in terms of skills and ability. I think someone like Robbie Avila, Amari Williams and/or Danny Wolf would be the type of big that would best fit our new scheme, as they are good enough shooters from deep to not be a liability. All 5 players we put on the floor need to be able to shoot the 3. Ideally, the guys at 1, 2 and 3 would be around that 40% range (or better if you can get it!) and the 4 and 5 man capable of hitting at least 30% from beyond the arc.

I'm not sure Cliff Omoruyi would be a good fit for Pope's offense. He's good, but more of a traditional back to the basket center in terms of skills and ability. I think someone like Robbie Avila, Amari Williams and/or Danny Wolf would be the type of big that would best fit our new scheme, as they are good enough shooters from deep to not be a liability. All 5 players we put on the floor need to be able to shoot the 3. Ideally, the guys at 1, 2 and 3 would be around that 40% range (or better if you can get it!) and the 4 and 5 man capable of hitting at least 30% from beyond the arc.
Williams would help solve the problem inside that plagued Kentucky. He is only 8-26 from 3 over 4 years. If you could land both Williams & Avila then I would be excited. Wolf seems to be the better system fit doing a bit everything you need. Avila is probably the best overall player who will be coveted by many teams but nowhere near the force inside that is needed in the SEC that Williams, Aidoo, Goldin or Cliff could bring. Physicality was an issue with last year's crew. I really wanted Johni Broome to transfer out of Auburn to here. That would solve a lot of problems inside and from 3. Surely there is someone like him out there in the portal at a school like Morehead they could pluck away. A few more to look out for Igor Milicic Jr. & David Skogman.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skyguyb27
In the meantime, have to start building a roster with guys who will want to be here and can't put all of your eggs in one basket hoping they have a change of heart. Not holding my breath on either. I think the natural fit of Z under Pope should have been obvious enough for him to stay and wish he had waited for a conversation with Mark first. I'm sure they will at some point and see what happens. He has the school and coach that would give him the platform to showcase his skills at the highest level and with a bare roster would get much more usage in this offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: K86
In the meantime, have to start building a roster with guys who will want to be here and can't put all of your eggs in one basket hoping they have a change of heart. Not holding my breath on either. I think the natural fit of Z under Pope should have been obvious enough for him to stay and wish he had waited for a conversation with Mark first. I'm sure they will at some point and see what happens. He has the school and coach that would give him the platform to showcase his skills at the highest level and with a bare roster would get much more usage in this offense.
Keeping players already used to playing on the Kentucky stage will be important to have as much as any system player Mark can bring in. That is why it would be huge to retain Z, Thiero and even Burks with the limited PT he received last year.

Fair point. Just don't want to see another year of weakness in the post and guards get blown by. We need to prioritize bringing in some athleticism that can defend as much as finding system players to fit Pope's offense.

I'm excited to see how our roster comes together, and to an extent, Arkansas’s as well—only because I can't wait for us to rock them at Rupp next season. This is just for fun, but by reading the early tea leaves, it seems we have a shot at landing:

For us, it looks like:

• Hall
  • Wiz
  • Robinson
  • Perry
  • Burks - Haven’t heard anything yet.
  • Reed - Small percentage chance.
  • Maybe Chandler? One can hope. - It's worth noting that he grew up a Utah fan. But he has stated that he wants to play against top notch competition.
I know our staff is not going to be outworked, and hopefully, they are on the phone with the likes of:

• Johnell Davis - Other options include the NBA draft, maybe Michigan.
  • Vladislav Goldin - Other options are UConn and Michigan.
  • Clifford Omoruyi - Other options include UConn, but we are going to need some muscle; this is the SEC.
  • BJ Freeman - Big-time talent and proven winner. Would wreak havoc at the 2 with Jaxson Robinson at the 3.
  • Jonas Aidoo - Tough kid, we have all seen him play.
Other possible fits include:

• Boopie Miller - Small, shifty guard from Wake Forest, who averaged over 15 ppg and 36% from three.
  • Ryan Conwell - Big guard, shoots over 40% from 3. Averaged over 16 per game at Indiana State. Could also go to St Louis???
  • Jalen Blackmon - Checks all the boxes. Great shooter from three, great free throw shooter as well.
  • Tremon Marks - Big, experienced guard who is battle tested.
    Cade Tyson - Big time shooter already being pursued heavily by Tenn and UNC.
    Malik Mack- over 17 ppg as a freshman had 27 at Indiana.
It also goes without mentioning that I would love to see the staff keep Fland around, he would thrive in Pope's system.

Arkansas’ roster could include the following players:

• Knox
  • Richmond
  • Wagner
  • JQ
  • Z.
*Also read that BJ Freeman is a possibility.

This is a fun exercise based on pure speculation. I'm checking in almost hourly to see if anything becomes official, but it's fun watching the rosters come together.

Of course, I hope we have the better roster, but I will be following personnel moves for both schools. The next 2 weeks should be interesting, and I'm pulling for Pope to make a couple of splash additions.

Who would you be chasing right now if you were making the decisions?
I like your break down. It certainly got me exploring the portal for potential fits that I would love to see come in here.

Reactions: Adolph B. Calipari
Omoruyi would play the Traore role, in my opinion, but Omoruyi would start, of course (Traore started 8 games last season). At times, BYU would clear it out and let Traore go to work 1-on-1. There would also be plenty of space for him to operate if he is surrounded by shooters.

Love him or hate him, I’m glad that Mitch had a sense of urgency to fill our coaching void. Portal guys are committing left and right, but there are still enough names available to put together a strong roster for next season, if we move quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT