ADVERTISEMENT

Georgios Papagiannis' recruitment

Last year Oregon had a players on their roster from:
  1. Holland Landing, Ontario (Kevin Pangos);
  2. Kaunas, Lithuania (Domantas Sabonis);
  3. Sao Paulo, Brazil (Leo Roese);
  4. Torund, Poland (Przemek Karnowski); and
  5. Vancouver, British Columbia (Dustin Triano)
Not to mention Kyle Wiltjer who has ties to Canada and I think played on their national team. Only Pangos is a senior and they too are in the Big Papa race for next year.

Gonzaga maybe...?

I hear ya, but we already have Skal, Lee, Poythress and maybe Wynyard. That's plenty of elite talent down low. This should be a guard oriented team.

I know but yo have him and stockpile talent and move Skal to 4 with 3 guards. If he came it would almost be plation time again and I don't think Cal ever wants to do that again.

I know but yo have him and stockpile talent and move Skal to 4 with 3 guards. If he came it would almost be plation time again and I don't think Cal ever wants to do that again.

He wasn't a guaranteed starter here. IMO, he would have backed up Skal and Lee backed up Poy.

Been nice having him and lee come in off bench at the 4 and 5 spots though.

The way Matt Jones (and Jamal Murray) talk, it's likely Wynyard joins in December, solving that problem of who gets the 5-7 minutes a game off the bench.

I don't see Poythress playing the 3 because I watch basketball and know what skill sets the 3 needs to have and what coaches tend to covet. Could he get away with it in college? Maybe, because he's able to guard most college 3s and his athleticism makes up for his lack of ball skills. I can assure you Cal would much rather play Poythress within 15 feet of the basket than have him trying to be Carmelo Anthony out there.

In the NBA he won't be able to do jack shit with the ball playing the 3. He can't take 3 dribbles without turning the ball over. It's like thinking Montrezl Harrell could be an NBA SF. What Harrell does well is the exact same thing Poythress does well. What you saw in the Bahamas last fall was Poythress at his best as a player... playing the 4.

I agree with Jason on this. I had to go mow and this was the point I was trying to make about Alex. He is more of a PF in collage than a SF. And I hate to see him try and drive because he just can't dribble worth a dime.
I hope he has an outstanding year !

Reactions: brianpoe
He was an intriguing prospect. Too bad it looks like it's not going to happen.
Sources say Georgios Papagiannis not an option for the Cats in 2015

If he is no longer an option that means the big lumber jack is coming in Dec. The Greek kid is a real talent and will be a very good player one day. He is a better prospect than Zimmerman. Put him in a weightroom and get him cut up and bulked up and he's going to be a beast. Has the same frame as Shaq coming out of HS. Nowhere near the ability though lol but he is a nice prospect none the less.
He is closer to a Robert Parish than he is others I have read on here.

It's a shame because the kid has talent and tons of potential.Tai is talented but coming in December will make it harder on him to catch up.

It's a shame because the kid has talent and tons of potential.Tai is talented but coming in December will make it harder on him to catch up.

Wynyard won't need to log many minutes, if any at all.

Our main rotation will be pretty much set when he arrives. If he plays, he will just fill in when we have foul trouble.

I think our rotation is going to look similar to this:

G Ulis(32)/Murray(8)
G Briscoe(31)/Mulder(6)/Murray(3)
G Murray(20)/Matthews(13)/Poythress(7)
F Poythress(22)/Lee(18)
F Labissiere(32)/Lee(8)

Ulis- 32mpg
Labissiere- 32mpg
Murray- 31mpg
Briscoe- 31mpg
Poythress- 29mpg
Lee- 26mpg
Matthews- 13mpg
Mulder- 6mpg

Bet he ends up in Oregon. They need a big man, and he's getting the full court press from the coaches and players. Seems like a good fit for both sides.

Bet he ends up in Oregon. They need a big man, and he's getting the full court press from the coaches and players. Seems like a good fit for both sides.

And to think, if Murray took that last scholarship, then they probably miss out on Papagiannis. They needed a big a lot more than they needed another guard. So in the end it could work out for both schools.

HELP!!!

A request of the BBN:

This Pappagiannis news reminded of the 7-foot-something German that Joe B. Hall had coming to UK in the 80's. I remember a photo of him standing in the doorway, but you couldn't see his head, since it was above the door frame. Anybody have that pic, or a story about that recruitment? I think he left due to the "homesick" angle, but maybe some of you know more about his tale?

It was Guenther Benke.. 7'4 and was not all of that great of a player. We really didnt miss anything there.

It was Guenther Benke.. 7'4 and was not all of that great of a player. We really didnt miss anything there.

Yeah, that's him! Just did a couple searches... looks like he had quite a few years with the German National Team. Though, it appears he only had 702 points in 146 games... so, I'm guessing he was similar to Shagari.

I'd still love to see that standing-in-the-doorway photo again, if anybody has it. TIA.

Has Cal said anything at all about another 2015 recruit? I'm very skeptical that he'll be eligible. How can he keep his amateur status if he's even just had expenses paid by a pro club. He'll take the money in Europe, though Greece may be off the euro soon. I also have suspicions that he's not even academically eligible. He left HS in PA to play in Greece, but I didn't read where he graduated. I doubt he'll ever play college ball. His wallet and NBA chances might both be better if he plays pro ball in Europe.

It looks like 2015 big man Georgios Papagiannis is not an option for Kentucky after all.

Though Papagiannis says the Wildcats are among the schools still recruiting him for 2015, KSR's Matt Jones reports UK is not an option for the four-star center:

Papagiannis, a 7'1" Greek center who is currently playing the U19 World Championships with Greece, is only 17 years old and is a possible future NBA Draft pick because of his size, shot blocking ability and rebounding.

With Kentucky supposedly out of the mix, Papagiannis now must decide if he will actually join a college team in 2015 or not to keep playing basketball in Greece after signing an amateur deal last summer.

This isn't a big surprise with the Cats already having a deep roster for next year. Marcus Lee, Alex Poythress and Skal Labissiere are enough to give UK the size it needs to make another Final Four run.

It is funny because the kid said he is not aware that the cats are not recruiting him. I hope we are as we need another front line player.

Reactions: brianpoe
Georgios Papagiannis said in a recent interview that he has not heard that UK was not interested in him...... Could MJ be wrong on his post and if so will he have to learn how to pronounce Georgios' name? :grimace:

AlohaCat

I'll try to link the article, not good at this.

I wonder how many on here want this kid desperately, then will complain incessantly during the season about why we aren't running, why Poythress is playing SF so much, or why Lee isn't playing. LOL!

If he is no longer an option that means the big lumber jack is coming in Dec. The Greek kid is a real talent and will be a very good player one day. He is a better prospect than Zimmerman. Put him in a weightroom and get him cut up and bulked up and he's going to be a beast. Has the same frame as Shaq coming out of HS. Nowhere near the ability though lol but he is a nice prospect none the less.
He is closer to a Robert Parish than he is others I have read on here.

I agree with you? Anyway what does it hurt to have another big body?

The Greek played on EYBL circuit last year with Team Takeover. He was intriguing but he really struggled rebounding out of his area, and would get dunked on a lot. Offensively, he moved well and to be fair to the kid, he didn't see ball--how many AAU teams run through the post? Had nice touch but definitely is a worth the look due to being 7'0 but not sure how he'll transition to States. To me UK roster is set once you add Tai Wynyard. He's played with 2 of UK's frontline guys and provides what this team will need--a bit of size/strength/toughness. This should be the fastest tempo that UK has played under Calipari as it's most mobile team he's had since '11-12 teams.

I wonder how many on here want this kid desperately, then will complain incessantly during the season about why we aren't running, why Poythress is playing SF so much, or why Lee isn't playing. LOL!

I'm not sure why you keep thinking that he would take minutes away from more deserving players? Or that we have to play all kids a certain amount of minutes?

If we sign him it doesn't have to push Lee to the bench or Poy to the three

This is not last year. IMO, if for some reason he did choose UK he would back up Skal and Lee backup Poythress. But if Lee is that much better Marcus would provide backup time at both positions.

All players are not "eating" this year.

As to Tai, many have high hopes on something that rarely occurs, a mid season transfer making an impact. Other than Stokes I'm not sure of any others off the top of my head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT