ADVERTISEMENT

Georgios Papagiannis' recruitment

If Lee were to transfer (and I sure hope not) he would have two seasons left wouldn't he? I thought he was a true sophomore this year. Was he not part of the class with the twins, Johnson, Young, Randal, Hawkins, and Willis? If so, he sets out his red shirt year then has his junior and senior year.

I don't think he would transfer, but he said worst case scenario.

Lee will be here and he will play, IMHO.

I think Cal wants to play "big" ball again.

But he needs another body inside to have the depth to do it. Wynyard arrives too late to make a huge impact.

That leaves the Greek kid.

Then he can rotate Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray at the 1 and 2 spots, play Poy at his "pro" position at 3, and rotate Labissiere, Lee, and the Greek at the 4 and 5.

Just my guess.

I don't think he would transfer, but he said worst case scenario.

Lee will be here and he will play, IMHO.

I think Cal wants to play "big" ball again.

But he needs another body inside to have the depth to do it. Wynyard arrives too late to make a huge impact.

That leaves the Greek kid.

Then he can rotate Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray at the 1 and 2 spots, play Poy at his "pro" position at 3, and rotate Labissiere, Lee, and the Greek at the 4 and 5.

Just my guess.

I dont think Lee leaves either nor do I want him to.

I was not responding to the worst case scenario part of Brain's or Buc's earlier comments, rather I was respondting to the comment asking about who transfers with only one season to play as my belief is that he would have two seasons. Since he specified a single season as a likely reason he thinks Lee would not transfer I wonder if Lee having two seasons would change Brian's thoughts about it.

Last edited:
Whatever happens, happens, it's Cal's team but I am wondering where this guy gets minutes?

If he is eyeing the NBA he is expecting to start most likely or log big minutes off the bench.

Who loses minutes?

There's only 80 minutes at the 4 and 5 spots (40 each).

Labissiere gets around 30 minutes.

That leaves 50 minutes. Not a lot to split three ways.

If Poythress gets 30 minutes, then either Lee and this kid split the remaining 20 and get 10 each or one of them sits the pine.

Poythress could move to the 3 to free up minutes for Lee and this kid. Goodbye three guard lineup, goodbye Poy at his natural 4 spot. That also takes away minutes from Matthews and/or Mulder.

Or Poythress still gets most of his minutes at the 4 and Lee once again gets buried on the bench or this guy comes in and plays spot minutes.

I know it will work out, but I would hate to see Lee lose his chance to get significant minutes.

And I don't want to see Poythress at the SF for more than 5-10 minutes each game.

Cal may disagree, and it's his team, so I just have to deal with it, but I would just as soon see Wynyard come in at Christmas and call it a team.

I don't see Alex playing the 3 because his ball handling is not that great, He is a 4 in collage. IF he wants to play in the NBA his has to improve on his ball handling because the 3 will be what is will play in the NBA because of his size .

You could be right Jason as I don't watch the NBA that much, but while at UK I just don't see him playing the 3 because of the lack of ball handling. I think this is his biggest weakness right now. He really needs to work on that.

You don't see Poy playing the 3, although that's all he played before his injury last season? Eh.

I don't see Poythress playing the 3 because I watch basketball and know what skill sets the 3 needs to have and what coaches tend to covet. Could he get away with it in college? Maybe, because he's able to guard most college 3s and his athleticism makes up for his lack of ball skills. I can assure you Cal would much rather play Poythress within 15 feet of the basket than have him trying to be Carmelo Anthony out there.

In the NBA he won't be able to do jack shit with the ball playing the 3. He can't take 3 dribbles without turning the ball over. It's like thinking Montrezl Harrell could be an NBA SF. What Harrell does well is the exact same thing Poythress does well. What you saw in the Bahamas last fall was Poythress at his best as a player... playing the 4.

Oh, I agree that he's certainly better served playing the 4. But with Cal's new pitch, I see Poy logging some time at the 3, which defensively, would be much better for us. Offensively, not so much.
I'll reserve judgement though. It will nearly be a year since we've seen him dribble and shoot a basketball come time for the season. I'm sure he's improved in that regard. He's certainly had plenty of Poy time to work on his ball handling and shooting.

Alex will play where Cal can improve his stock....see KAT.

As for PapaG, I think we have a shot based on one simple statement:
If PapaG wants to potentially be the #1 pick, he can come here and play with Skal and dominate the media.
PapaG can come here and erase the stigma of the soft 'Euro' player. And what would Oregon or St Johns do for your game? Very little IMO....neither conference is in the media spotlight.

The question is: can you have too many players? I'm not so sure based on the variables our team still deals with.......eligibility and health.

I think he can improve his jumper but I don't think he'll ever be a knock down shooter... sure won't be a guy that can create for himself one on one and then pull up once he's got space. He's a catch and shoot guy only when he's taking jumpers. I also have no faith at all that he's going to develop his coordination or ball handling skills well enough to translate to being an NBA SF. Guess we'll see.
he shot 42% from 3 as a freshman, but fell way below that the following year. I think its more of a confidence issue with Alex.

So would this finally give us the #1 recruiting class, or does ESPN bump Jeter and Kennard up to compensate? I must admit, it's going to be hard to top a team with the next Seth Curry and Anthony Davis...

I'm shocked that we're still having discussions about where Alex Poythress should play.

This is a no-brainer, folks. Keep him in the paint or around the baseline, let him finish plays, get rebounds and contest shots around the basket.

I don't care what his shooting percentage was his freshman year. I also don't need to remind you that team was awful.

If Lee were to transfer (and I sure hope not) he would have two seasons left wouldn't he? I thought he was a true sophomore this year. Was he not part of the class with the twins, Johnson, Young, Randal, Hawkins, and Willis? If so, he sets out his red shirt year then has his junior and senior year.

Most of the time you lose a year of eligibility, has this rule changed for anything other than extra-ordinary circumstance?

Honestly, I would rather just stay away. Knowing the NCAA they will clear him to play, he will play the whole season, getting spotty minutes at best, we will win #9, then after the season, the NCAA will rule him ineligible. That is my guess at least.

I believe that to be the anomaly and not what we can expect as the norm. He just strikes me as a 33-35% three point shooter at best in terms of what we should expect. I'd love to see him make a leap like Liggins did his junior year, but something about his shot just irks me. He doesn't fully extend his arms... like he's pushing the ball sorta.

Not sure what the anomaly is between his freshman and sophomore years. Seems easier to uncharacteristically miss shots over the course of a season rather than uncharacteristically make shots over the course of a season.
Fact of the matter is, he's not a volume 3 point shooter. He catches it on the perimeter. If it's open, he'll take it, but he would rather slash it in and play through contact, so really, the difference between the 42% and the 35% isn't all that big. I mean, FWIW, it's still a higher percentage than Aaron Harrison shot, and Poy is a PF.
I think he can hit enough to spread the floor and keep defenses honest, which opens up space for our guards (all of which are great at dribble penetration, and can also play the pick and pop game well), and Skal (who can really do about anything you ask him to do as a 5 man.

If this kid comes here, I can't see how it doesn't push Poythress to the 3.

If Papagiannis starts, where do his minutes come from?

The lineup probably looks something like this with a 7-man rotation:

G Ulis(30)/Briscoe(10)
G Murray(30)/Briscoe(10)
F Poythress(30)/Briscoe(10)
F Labissiere(30)/Lee(10)
C Papagiannis(25)/Lee(15)

Work it out where everyone gets their minutes and Poy stays at the 4?

Matthews and Mulder get mop up minutes? Or start cutting into the main 7 guy's minutes. Get to 9 guys playing and the dreaded "platoon" talk starts to resurface.

I figure Cal is going to play our top seven 25-30 minutes and the leftover minutes go to the other guys. To do that, Poythress has to play the majority of his minutes at the 3 (if Papagiannis comes).

I don't like the idea of Poy at the 3 spot, but if Cal does, that's fine. I'll cheer them on, regardless.

Most of the time you lose a year of eligibility, has this rule changed for anything other than extra-ordinary circumstance?

If you transfer you have to sit a year but assuming you have not already used your redshirt year, you use it when you transfer and you do not lose a year of eligibility. But doesn't matter. Lee isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: brianpoe
If this kid comes here, I can't see how it doesn't push Poythress to the 3.

If Papagiannis starts, where do his minutes come from?

The lineup probably looks something like this with a 7-man rotation:

G Ulis(30)/Briscoe(10)
G Murray(30)/Briscoe(10)
F Poythress(30)/Briscoe(10)
F Labissiere(30)/Lee(10)
C Papagiannis(25)/Lee(15)

Work it out where everyone gets their minutes and Poy stays at the 4?

Matthews and Mulder get mop up minutes? Or start cutting into the main 7 guy's minutes. Get to 9 guys playing and the dreaded "platoon" talk starts to resurface.

I figure Cal is going to play our top seven 25-30 minutes and the leftover minutes go to the other guys. To do that, Poythress has to play the majority of his minutes at the 3 (if Papagiannis comes).

I don't like the idea of Poy at the 3 spot, but if Cal does, that's fine. I'll cheer them on, regardless.

Why does he have to start? Just pushes Lee more to the 4 as a backup in my mind.

Why does he have to start? Just pushes Lee more to the 4 as a backup in my mind.

Minutes are minutes. Papagiannis and Lee both get around the same minutes no matter who starts.

Point is, to play Papagiannis in the rotation Cal has to move Poythress to the 3.

I think an 8 man rotation is ideal. You can expect your starting guards to be getting in the low 30s and your starting bigs getting somewhere in the Mid to upper 20s. That leaves you with about 50 minutes to be split between your three bench guys. I think we could see a very similar rotation as we did in 2012 where two bench guys get the majority of those bench minutes and another gets about 10-12 a game. We add someone now, there will be a battle between 3-4 guys for those minutes, which IMO is great.

Reactions: brianpoe
Minutes are minutes. Papagiannis and Lee both get around the same minutes no matter who starts.

Point is, to play Papagiannis in the rotation Cal has to move Poythress to the 3.

Why? I don't get that.

Skal - Papa
Poy - Lee

I do not see why anyone has to have the same minutes as anyone else.

Why? I don't get that.

Skal - Papa
Poy - Lee

I do not see why anyone has to have the same minutes as anyone else.

Well, they don't.

But that was part of my original premise.

You can't give all four players around 25 minutes per game without Poy playing at the SF quite a bit. There's only 40 minutes per position (so 80 minutes at the 4 and 5).

25 times 4 equals 100. So that puts us over by 20 minutes.

So either Poy spend time at the 3 to free up minutes for those bigs or they get less minutes.

If they all get around 20 minutes, then we are "platooning" inside for the most part.

Give Labissiere and Poythress most of the minutes, then Papa and Lee are getting the scrap minutes.

Give Skal, Poy, and Papa all around 25-30 per game and Lee is riding the pine.

Theres only 80 minutes at the 4 and 5 spots. However you slice it.

I hope that makes sense to you.

Well, they don't.

But that was part of my original premise.

You can't give all four players around 25 minutes per game without Poy playing at the SF quite a bit. There's only 40 minutes per position (so 80 minutes at the 4 and 5).

25 times 4 equals 100. So that puts us over by 20 minutes.

So either Poy spend time at the 3 to free up minutes for those bigs or they get less minutes.

If they all get around 20 minutes, then we are "platooning" inside for the most part.

Give Labissiere and Poythress most of the minutes, then Papa and Lee are getting the scrap minutes.

Give Skal, Poy, and Papa all around 25-30 per game and Lee is riding the pine.

Theres only 80 minutes at the 4 and 5 spots. However you slice it.

I hope that makes sense to you.

Ok, I got you. I never entertained the thought of equal minutes, I missed that part.

If the big fella comes, someone is definitely getting fewer minutes and it might be him if Lee excels.

Thanks for the clarification.

Ok, I got you. I never entertained the thought of equal minutes, I missed that part.

If the big fella comes, someone is definitely getting fewer minutes and it might be him if Lee excels.

Thanks for the clarification.

No problem.

I don't really prefer Poy at the 3...I think it makes UK's offense more stagnant, but I'll trust Cal if that is what happens. I'm sure there would be times when UK runs 3 guards as well.

he shot 42% from 3 as a freshman, but fell way below that the following year. I think its more of a confidence issue with Alex.

I've always said it was his confidence. He was great until Cal started barking at him, and then he just did like a pup and tucked his tail between his legs and lost his mojo. Against Duke he was the best player in the country his freshman year. He reminds me of when I play. If someone great is guarding me I get nervous and dribble off every appendage I have.

Reactions: oldfanofuk
It looks like Papagiannis will make his intentions known at some point this coming weekend.

Right now I'd say UK is in third place, behind St.Johns and Oregon. That's if he chooses to play college ball, which I think he will because of a number of issues going on in Greece.

I'd like to land him, but I don't think it will happen, partially because of a statement he made some time ago when he said UK's style of play doesn't fit him. I predict Oregon will beat us for him.

It looks like Papagiannis will make his intentions known at some point this coming weekend.

Right now I'd say UK is in third place, behind St.Johns and Oregon. That's if he chooses to play college ball, which I think he will because of a number of issues going on in Greece.

I'd like to land him, but I don't think it will happen, partially because of a statement he made some time ago when he said UK's style of play doesn't fit him. I predict Oregon will beat us for him.

I hope our team is set. I don't really want to add another player, honestly.

If Wynyard comes in December that will be fine, but we have the weapons we need.

You have to set out a year but you do not lost a year of eligiblity unless you have already taken your red shirt year prior to transferring. Kyle Wiltjer for example played two seasons at UK (2012 NC and 2013 NIT) then transferred to Ganzag where he sat out 2014 and was a junior this past year on the 2015 team and will be back next year for his senior year. There are a few situatational circumstances where you lose a year but typically athletes get 5 academic years to play in 4 different seasons.

Thanks Dave.

I'm okay with him going somewhere else. Like he said, he might not fit our style of play for next year with us playing a more guard oriented style.

I think Wynyard at Christmas is the perfect scenario for us when it comes to adding big man depth. HS is over for him in December, so I can't see any reason why he wouldn't come in early and give us 4-5 minutes a game when we have foul trouble.

I feel our team is complete as is.

I am with Jason on his guess. St. John's losing that interior player recently, Big Papa having played a year in Pennsylvania which is not terribly far from NYC and the style of play at UK does not seem a great fit to me.

For some, I guess.

Myself, the better the defender, the harder I tried -- and the more I scored. I'd prolly torch Kawhi Leonard for like 35+ on the reg. Just sayin'.

Your imagination is as big as your "like" count and your ego is just as inflated as your "like" count. LOL!

"Sources tell KSR that Greek 7-footer Georgios Papagiannis is NOT an option for Kentucky in the 2015 class"

If we got him, that make two players from Canada, and one from Haiti, New Zealand, and Greece.
Has a college team ever had that many foreign players on it?

Last year Gonzaga (not Oregon as I originally stated) had a players on their roster from:
  1. Holland Landing, Ontario (Kevin Pangos);
  2. Kaunas, Lithuania (Domantas Sabonis);
  3. Sao Paulo, Brazil (Leo Roese);
  4. Torund, Poland (Przemek Karnowski); and
  5. Vancouver, British Columbia (Dustin Triano)
Not to mention Kyle Wiltjer who has ties to Canada and I think played on their national team. Only Pangos is a senior and they too are in the Big Papa race for next year.

UPDATED: I fixed my error to change the team from Oregon to Gonzaga.. who knows what I was thinking...

Last edited:
He is no longer an option according to KSR but they never give a reason why.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT