ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo would have been better off at Kentucky..

I would've loved to be in the conversation last Spring when Self met with Diallo & his clan. He must have really sold some bull...know for fact Diallo wanted UK but handlers felt KU would be better.

How did that work out?

Well it should help UK going forward. I think it will come up in recruiting circles

Moot point now. Appears that even selfish Bill couldn't keep him there more than a year.

Pretty much any elite talent would be better off at UK. Dukes the only viable alternative really, and even they dont groom players nearly as well as UK.

At least Cal would have played him, Don't know what Self was doing with this kid.

Doing what he does best

bssucks_zpsa30y9ptm.jpeg

Self held Josh Selby back also, Josh was more talented then Taylor, Mornigstar and Reed.
Not sure how one can think that. Selby was suspended (like Diallo) and couldn't practice with the team for the first month or so of games. Why would you ever start a guy that hasn't been practicing? Selby was starting by the end of the season.

Diallo is the most overrated recruit in recent memory. I never understood it. All of his points in the high school all-star games came off of garbage baskets. The kid has a crazy motor but zero skill and a low basketball IQ. Kind of reminds me of all the hype around Kenneth Faried when he played for Team USA. He dominated off of garbage and everybody incorrectly thought he was ready to become a star in the NBA. Diallo would have sat the bench for any elite program.

Reactions: hawkin
Diallo is the most overrated recruit in recent memory. I never understood it. All of his points in the high school all-star games came off of garbage baskets. The kid has a crazy motor but zero skill and a low basketball IQ. Kind of reminds me of all the hype around Kenneth Faried when he played for Team USA. He dominated off of garbage and everybody incorrectly thought he was ready to become a star in the NBA. Diallo would have sat the bench for any elite program.

and yet that is exactly what faried has become... he's a rebound short of averaging a double-double in the NBA

If we had Kenneth Fareed this year we may have been the one cutting the nets down!

Not sure how one can think that. Selby was suspended (like Diallo) and couldn't practice with the team for the first month or so of games. Why would you ever start a guy that hasn't been practicing? Selby was starting by the end of the season.
If he wasnt suspended he would have done alot better.Self just belives in playing uperclassmen.

I know Diallo we hear alot of Kansas fans and even the Media saying Diallo wasn't the player that Self and Kansas thought they were getting at Center. Diallo did miss the first 4-5 games waiting on NCAA to rule and in his first 3 games he had 13 points in one and 11 points in another so I really don't know if Self gave Diallo the playing time to prove himself. I believe Coach Self saw the team he had without playing either Bragg and Diallo and stuck with Ellis and his starting team hoping both of these big men come back next year. I believe that Diallo would have been better off here at Kentucky after we saw Skal not developing into the Center that Coach Cal thought he would here at UK. Coach Cal would have inserted and tried Diallo at Center and that could have helped Diallo and could have helped us in what we missed most of the year is that strong center. Cal was wanting that strong center that took it to the basket like he had with Cuz, WCS, Towns, etc. Diallo could have been that big man that could have helped in our Frontcourt and the strong Center Coach Cal was wanting this year. It is a shame at Kansas we didn't even get to see what player Diallo could have been in College Ball. Self has done this before and will continue and I don't see why recruits do want to come and play for Self in 1st year over a Coach Cal or even now Coach K at Duke.

Faried is averaging 12 and 8. FAR from a superstar.

12.6pts, 8.9rebounds--rounding down doesn't take away from the fact that those a legit numbers. Nerlens averages less points and less rebounds on a worse team, and he is no less of a star. I don't like Kansas either, but let's be realistic. Their bet on Diallo was justified based on HS performance. Hell, our bet on Skal was justified as well.

12.6pts, 8.9rebounds--rounding down doesn't take away from the fact that those a legit numbers. Nerlens averages less points and less rebounds on a worse team, and he is no less of a star. I don't like Kansas either, but let's be realistic. Their bet on Diallo was justified based on HS performance. Hell, our bet on Skal was justified as well.
Every NBA team has a guy averaging 13 and 9. Most bigs in the league could get those numbers given starters minutes. Faried is a role player...not a star.

I know Diallo we hear alot of Kansas fans and even the Media saying Diallo wasn't the player that Self and Kansas thought they were getting at Center. Diallo did miss the first 4-5 games waiting on NCAA to rule and in his first 3 games he had 13 points in one and 11 points in another so I really don't know if Self gave Diallo the playing time to prove himself. I believe Coach Self saw the team he had without playing either Bragg and Diallo and stuck with Ellis and his starting team hoping both of these big men come back next year. I believe that Diallo would have been better off here at Kentucky after we saw Skal not developing into the Center that Coach Cal thought he would here at UK. Coach Cal would have inserted and tried Diallo at Center and that could have helped Diallo and could have helped us in what we missed most of the year is that strong center. Cal was wanting that strong center that took it to the basket like he had with Cuz, WCS, Towns, etc. Diallo could have been that big man that could have helped in our Frontcourt and the strong Center Coach Cal was wanting this year. It is a shame at Kansas we didn't even get to see what player Diallo could have been in College Ball. Self has done this before and will continue and I don't see why recruits do want to come and play for Self in 1st year over a Coach Cal or even now Coach K at Duke.

First of all, Diallo is 6'9 on his best day. The idea that Diallo would overtake Skal's place is in my opinion erroneous. Diallo got his chances at Kansas. He'd come in and launch a pass into the stands and then follow it up with having no idea where to be on defense. I believe Cal would have pulled him and make him prove it in practice just like Self did, because they both value defense and knowing where to be.

I could be convinced Cal would give him more minutes than Self did, but the idea that Diallo would have turned into your starting center is a huge stretch of the imagination. As one person described Cheick, he's a year away from being two years away.

Not sure the point of this comment is ? He is not wrong that is for sure.

You obviously are not aware of smooths drive by's nor his negative takes on UK while trolling UNC and Duke boards. He is a Maryland fan who comes by and starts meaningless threads on rivals boards, usually to cause disagreements to posters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT