ADVERTISEMENT

Positives from last night's game...slim pickings

ukfan1622

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2021
1. Bradshaw played very hard and I thought pretty well.
2. Big Z just didn't haveit on offense but I was watching him off ball on defense and, when it comes to defense and rebounding, the guy knows what he is doing.
3. Dilly is a player
4. Sheppard is much better than what we saw last night; he can't play worse and might have gotten hot if he had played his normal minutes.

I can't think of anything else. That was a total team suck last night!

I did not think we were bad in the first half. Some silly plays, a lot of one on one offense, allowing tempo to be dictated and so at half-time I felt we would win this game comfortably. Why? I expected second half adjustments on those issues. It was shocking that there were not. I know I am a broken record but it always seems like Cal does not instruct players during the game to stop doing certain things. He just pulls someone out if he doesn't like something and with only certain players while others have a long leash.

The first half defense was actually pretty decent weirdly enough. They had 12 points in the first 10 minutes and only 33 at half which included a 3 at the end.

Staying on the defensive end(shocking I know!) it didn’t feel like the big sealed off our big for uncontested layups last night. That was a crisis the prior games and wasn’t very prevalent last night to my recollection.

We got tough buckets to get going by Rob in the first half and Tre/Antonio to keep us in it starting the second.

Not many positives admittedly. I think the biggest positive is the immediate grounding of a team where the coverage was at an undeserved hype level. We’re some Florida missed free throws away from being 0-3 on the road in the SEC.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
0bbe22ad-c423-4c0a-9233-89d6de2c9f91_text.gif

Reactions: gharding07
This team is a finesse team, not a banger team. So, when refs allow teams to body us, it will be much tougher, especially if they then call fouls when we try to body them back.
Late last night (at the game) I told my son we just need to let "Rob be Rob" and go get us some buckets.
The worse part was the multiple times our guys would Help and be in the paint on D while their guy was camped out 10'+ behind the 3pt line. No way you can recover that far that quick, leaving wide-open 3's. I could have made 40% against us last night (& I'm 54 & slow).

This also should be kept in mind. Good teams can have awful road games.
#1 UConn lost 60-75 at Seton Hall.
#2 Purdue lost 72-88 at Nebraska.
And USC ain't bad. They are now 16-3.
I said same thing last night about S. Carolina. Some on here were calling them weak. They'll be ranked soon IMO.

I'm a big believer:

Winning in spite of flaws doesn't lead to players improving flaws. Maybe that's not true for Professionals. But I do think it is of college kids and younger.

The defense is a minor problem when you're winning and humming along. Now you got your @$$ embarrassed.

I certainly didn't want to lose last night. I don't think there's a silver lining. We $hit the bed. I do think that maybe they needed this.

Positive: Ky fans now have a higher BB IQ. We all now know what a cylinder foul is and the best way to play against that tactic. A quick elbow to the face of the offender will get the player out of the situation.

Reactions: CatsDomain
The first half defense was actually pretty decent weirdly enough. They had 12 points in the first 10 minutes and only 33 at half which included a 3 at the end.

Staying on the defensive end(shocking I know!) it didn’t feel like the big sealed off our big for uncontested layups last night. That was a crisis the prior games and wasn’t very prevalent last night to my recollection.

We got tough buckets to get going by Rob in the first half and Tre/Antonio to keep us in it starting the second.

Not many positives admittedly. I think the biggest positive is the immediate grounding of a team where the coverage was at an undeserved hype level. We’re some Florida missed free throws away from being 0-3 on the road in the SEC.
And a prayer of a 3 pointer late by our Center ... at Florida . And the minds on here said it was a good take ... smh

This team is a finesse team, not a banger team. So, when refs allow teams to body us, it will be much tougher, especially if they then call fouls when we try to body them back.
Late last night (at the game) I told my son we just need to let "Rob be Rob" and go get us some buckets.
The worse part was the multiple times our guys would Help and be in the paint on D while their guy was camped out 10'+ behind the 3pt line. No way you can recover that far that quick, leaving wide-open 3's. I could have made 40% against us last night (& I'm 54 & slow).
I hope we don't get matched up with Sparty in the second game of the NCAA tourney. Would be just our luck to get matched up with a physical team that will try and muck it up like SC.

Dream scenario: cal uses everyone’s lackluster play to shake up the starting lineup and solidify rotations. A man can dream.

Reactions: westerncat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT