ADVERTISEMENT

Miles Bridges: the one who truly got away for Calipari?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
He is lighting it up for the Hornets again tonight. He's now averaging over 21 points per game.

I sometimes wonder who his handlers were in high school when they helped persuade him that playing with his four star buddies at MSU was the move to make over playing with a true title contender at Kentucky. Meanwhile, at Kentucky, he would have been the perfect final piece to a team that would have been impossible to defend with Bridges at the 4.

Bam
Bridges
Briscoe
Monk
Fox

It's amazing to me how many elite players have passed on a chance to be a part of a legendary squad. Stanley Johnson did the same thing with the 2015 team, and Wiggins obviously did this with the 2014 team.

He is lighting it up for the Hornets again tonight. He's now averaging over 21 points per game.

I sometimes wonder who his handlers were in high school when they helped persuade him that playing with his four star buddies at MSU was the move to make over playing with a true title contender at Kentucky. Meanwhile, at Kentucky, he would have been the perfect final piece to a team that would have been impossible to defend with Bridges at the 4.

Bam
Bridges
Briscoe
Monk
Fox

It's amazing to me how many elite players have passed on a chance to be a part of a legendary squad. Stanley Johnson did the same thing with the 2015 team, and Wiggins obviously did this with the 2014 team.
Amazes me more the legacy squads CCC has had that didn't win squat.

Last edited:

Bam
Bridges
Briscoe
Monk
Fox

It would have been nice on the court but I wouldn’t want that POS to represent us.

Bam
Bridges
Briscoe
Monk
Fox

To bad he is a piece of shit human being

Bam
Bridges
Briscoe
Monk
Fox

Only thing I can think is it has to be handlers who want the ball in their hand as much as possible. They think being the highlight getting spotlight star, even on a bad team, is better than being a part of a machine (as if they won't be surrounded by stars in the NBA...)

Reactions: Fox2monk

Bam
Bridges
Briscoe
Monk
Fox

I talked to Wiggins camp directly and was told by no means was he coming to UK. This was when everyone on here thought he was wrapped up.

Bam
Bridges
Briscoe
Monk
Fox

Biggest loss of Cal era

You might as well say all our former players who are All Stars are ones who got away as well since they didn't do anything here and bolted (other than Davis, of course).

Just another dumb NBA thread with no tie to Kentucky, too.

Reactions: CB3UK
You might as well say all our former players who are All Stars are ones who got away as well since they didn't do anything here and bolted (other than Davis, of course).

Just another dumb NBA thread with no tie to Kentucky, too.

Nah, just a narrow response on your end, actually.

Bridges leaned Kentucky for a huge portion of his recruitment. UK was really only lacking one position on that 2017 team, and that was the combo-forward spot. We had Willis playing that spot, and as a result, Kentucky struggled to defend 3s and 4s - guys like Justin Jackson who helped end our season.

I thought all this was obvious. If you don't like the discussion, simply start a thread that meets your criteria on what you think is "UK discussion appropriate."

Last edited:
I'd include Xavier Henry not joining the Wall/Cousins/Bledsoe team as the "missing piece" (assuming we don't count re-recruiting Meeks as the biggest loss of the Cal era - and if so, he's #1 and it's not close).
I sometimes have wondered how hard Cal re-recruited Meeks. I've heard that he didn't put much effort into it.

Xavier Henry will always be the one that got away to me. Him with that Wall squad and Cal gets one his debut season and we’re even more of a juggernaut for the beginning of his tenure.

Reactions: Runnin'Ramel
Xavier Henry will always be the one that got away to me. Him with that Wall squad and Cal gets one his debut season and we’re even more of a juggernaut for the beginning of his tenure.
I agree it was that season, but I think it was Meeks he missed on.

If we had Meeks shooting on that team...

Also, it would have meant less PT for Bledsoe and potentially another year of him here. He wasn't expected to be a one and done, but had a great year and shot up draft boards

Reactions: chroix
I agree it was that season, but I think it was Meeks he missed on.

If we had Meeks shooting on that team...

Also, it would have meant less PT for Bledsoe and potentially another year of him here. He wasn't expected to be a one and done, but had a great year and shot up draft boards

Definitely. Meeks even better than Henry. Either one of them and we got a banner.

Reactions: AGEE11
Bridges was from Michigan and went to Michigan St. That's a tough pull recruiting-wise. I don't usually mind losing guys to their home schools. Bridges even stated that was a major part of his decision since he played high school at a prep school.

Same with Zion. He was from the Carolinas area and his mom had married a former Clemson bball player. It would have been tough to pull him out of that area for anyone looking back.

Jarrett Allen was from Texas and played high school ball in Austin, TX.

Xavier Henry was a big miss imo. He had no ties to Kansas, and Calipari already had him at Memphis.

Bridges was from Michigan and went to Michigan St. That's a tough pull recruiting-wise. I don't usually mind losing guys to their home schools. Bridges even stated that was a major part of his decision since he played high school at a prep school.

Same with Zion. He was from the Carolinas area and his mom had married a former Clemson bball player. It would have been tough to pull him out of that area for anyone looking back.
Thing is: We led for Bridges for a very long time

I sometimes have wondered how hard Cal re-recruited Meeks. I've heard that he didn't put much effort into it.
I can tell you with certainty - he did not put much effort to get Meeks back. It was a bad move. I know someone who was very very close to Jodie and he was kind of 50/50, but didn’t like what he was told by Cal. I think Cal felt really good about getting Henry at the time.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I can’t believe these unnamed “handlers” pushed a Flint kid to Michigan State. A Flint kid playing for Sparty is practically unheard of. I’m just glad Reed Sheppards handlers pushed him to UK.

Reactions: Padsfs07

Bam
Bridges
Briscoe
Monk
Fox

Biggest one that got away...Jodie Meeks.

• Love
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I've seen where Wall said he wouldn't have came to UK if Henry would've have came. Doesn't make sense to me though, because they were both going to play for Cal at Memphis

Yeah that’s a weird one but if so then see you Xavier.

What did Miles Bridges tell his wife with two black eyes?

Nothing, he already told her twice!

Pew Pew Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I can tell you with certainty - he did not put much effort to get Meeks back. It was a bad move. I know someone who was very very close to Jodie and he was kind of 50/50, but didn’t like what he was told by Cal. I think Cal felt really good about getting Henry at the time.
I think the conversation probably went something like this: You're coming off a year that will be impossible to top with the personnel you will be surrounded by. It's up to you, but you should probably consider going to the NBA this year, because your draft stock will not increase with Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, etc. around you.

Meeks had as good of a year as a player could ask for and was still a mid-second rd. draft pick. It wouldn't have benefitted him in his basketball career to stay, if getting paid was his concern. If he wanted to win a championship, he could have stuck around, but it may have cost him financially in the long run.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
Bridges was never going anywhere besides MSU.

Spartan fan, Flint kid, talked to him a couple times and would joke about him going to UK.

He was MSU 100% the whole time

What did Calipari tell Meeks?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT