ADVERTISEMENT

DADYERO

2nd one on the way in early November. Wife supremely nauseous for the last 3 weeks. Pulling 90%-ish weight but mostly feel bad for her. First kid is so easy though. I'd go bonkers otherwise with how ridiculous work has been lately. Very excited for #2.

HAVING SAID THAT, cleaning marker off the built-ins from said kid shortly. And washing the dog who allowed herself to be a tapestry.

Baseball Cats tonight with some NC State friends sliding in our house starting in a bit. Haven't paid attention at all until the last 3-4 weeks but my house is apparently the place to be for this one. Looking forward to it. Grill, brews, kid hijinks.

This may draw some "yucks", but I really enjoyed sex with my wife when she was pregnant. She undressed in front of me once when she was about 8-months along. Normally, she is on the small side of medium when it comes to bust-size, but that day they were melons! Yum.

Sooooooo....what's the deal with the starting kids late/grade retention/holding back? I guess I didn't realize how rampant it was until a some recent anecdotal cases of my kids' classmates and some of my friends' kids has shocked me. What I figured it was percent wise was 2% when in reality seems like a quarter of the kids are held back.

- what is the reason? Any legit ones?
- what if everyone held back, would people hold back 2 years?
- aren't there some pretty blatant downsides?

I mean, this had never entered my thoughts with my kids in the slightest. I asked my hen about it (works at my kids' school) and she said it is off the charts ridiculous. Hell, she told me our youngest is actually 3 days from the cutoff and could easily be held back but....ummm, no.

Barring special/extreme circumstances, shouldn't people just play the hand you're dealt? Just seems like trying to pamper little Zane and Eva-Emmersön is actually a net negative.

If you do it before Kindergarten, it seems ok for me. Working at a school you can see which kids are of age, but just aren't ready for school yet, for whatever nature/nurture reasons. If it's for that reason, it's reasonable. However, doing it so your kid is ahead in sports is ridiculous. Just because he will be a big 8th grader doesn't mean anything. You're gambling with a kids future that way.

I wanted to hold #2 back. Born on Sept 30 and cutoff was Oct 1. That was last year so he started Kindergarten at 4yrs old. On top of that the rule changed this year to an Aug 1 cutoff so there will be kids in kindergarten next year that may be older than my 1st grader.

The biggest benefit is maturity. Again #2 as an example he is just way less aware, attentive, and if you aren't on his page he could careless about you, and he fights nonstop. We were very concerned sending him but we did because #3 was born and had several complications and we were worried if we didn't have the ability to really pay attention to him as much we would have a baby with complications and a 4yr old nutcase and that would not be good for either attention wise.

#2 caught on quick with learning so we were happy, but he couldn't get on a good color behavior wise to save his life. The teachers also couldn't explain why except he is the sweetest boy until he isn't.

Anyway, I'd say the rule change next year made a lot of people think ahead and hold their kids back due to that.

As we got closer to our due dates my wife wanted to walk and F all day to make it happen earlier.

Good luck and congrats.

Reactions: Rex Kwon Do
Taught my son to ride a bike yesterday. I tried to impress upon him how big of a moment it was, but I don't think he cared. Once he got the hang of it he just wanted to ride

Reactions: Rex Kwon Do
Got my 3 yr old potty trained FINALLY. Hat tip to the poster known as Jason Spears for sharing the primal pleasure of pissing off your back deck.

My little man thought that was a hoot.

Reactions: Mashburned
My daughter, now 9, has a birthday at the end of July. We did not start her in Kindergarten the first year she could go. She was extremely shy socially. Everything else was great. We kept her at her pre-school for 5 Day Fives (which is half day). It was the right choice. She is still shy and gets a little anxious but has learned more coping skills and how to speak up.

She is also the two time champion in most AR points at her school.

Sooooooo....what's the deal with the starting kids late/grade retention/holding back? I guess I didn't realize how rampant it was until a some recent anecdotal cases of my kids' classmates and some of my friends' kids has shocked me. What I figured it was percent wise was 2% when in reality seems like a quarter of the kids are held back.

I mean, this had never entered my thoughts with my kids in the slightest. I asked my hen about it (works at my kids' school) and she said it is off the charts ridiculous. Hell, she told me our youngest is actually 3 days from the cutoff and could easily be held back but....ummm, no.

Barring special/extreme circumstances, shouldn't people just play the hand you're dealt? Just seems like trying to pamper little Zane and Eva-Emmersön is actually a net negative.
If you hold a kid back for just sports reasons, you're an effing psycho. Gospel

Held back my son from starting Kindergarten. The only reason was maturity. He is flourishing now. My wife and I made the right decision in holding him back.

My little girl is 4 months old and is experiencing "sleep regression" and is waking up every 3 hours. We are going to try to let her self-soothe a little bit meaning we sit there still at 3 AM while she cries for about 15 minutes and then one of us breaks and rocks her to sleep. [banana]

If she wasn't so damn cute and I didn't love her as much as I do I would have throw her out our bedroom window about 2 weeks ago.

At that age maybe you could offer her some different feeding in order to allow her to not get hungry causing her to wake up.

Those midnight rocking sessions seem like a bitch now, but I swear this time next year you'll only have the memory.

Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers hits on this subject. Article below explains:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/401159/

My little girl is 4 months old and is experiencing "sleep regression" and is waking up every 3 hours. We are going to try to let her self-soothe a little bit meaning we sit there still at 3 AM while she cries for about 15 minutes and then one of us breaks and rocks her to sleep. [banana]

If she wasn't so damn cute and I didn't love her as much as I do I would have throw her out our bedroom window about 2 weeks ago.
Dream feeding FTW.

Made is through the first 24 hours of farherhood successfully. Wife isn't in great shape so I've been doing most of the feeding and changing, the nurse taking her to the nursery for a few hours was a godsend.
Congrats. Hope the wife does well. By all means, let the nurses give you some time, especially at night.

Reactions: TheKentuckyKid
My oldest has a mid June birthday so we "held him back". He was also extremely shy and awkward. He was either going to be the youngest kid in class or the oldest and with him we decided he'd be better off being the oldest. He'll turn 19 a few weeks after high school graduation. Also, dude is a stud and is going to mash all over his younger classmates for years to come.

My middle kid started "early". He has a mid September birthday but he's the most fun-havin' outgoing little dude ever. He'll turn 18 his freshman year of college. So my 2 boys who are 2 1/4 years apart are only 1 grade apart in school. Each kid is different, just gotta do what works for them. Also, getting them in school and out of daycare is a huge $$$ saver, unless you're a dumbass and send your kids to private school.

This summer I'm helping coach my 5 yr old sons all star tee ball team and it's an absolute blast. 4 years ago, if you would've told me that's how I'll be spending almost every day of the week I would've said you're crazy Denny! But man, it's great. My son absolutely loves it. Gets super into it which is great when we win, but he takes it super hard when we lose. Cries, throws his hat, etc. Trying to help him find a balance but honestly I don't get too bothered by it. At the end of the day he just wants to win baby win. Can't knock him for that. Plus, dude is a stud. Definitely cherishing this summer. I can tell this is one of those seasons of life that brad paisley used to sing about.

Congrats to all the new dads and welcome to DADYERO

Fun to go back and read some of the old posts.

First go at a brisket on my new camp chef today. These pellet smokers man, feels like I'm cheating

Coming into that age....6yo son refused to play anything for up until 10 months or so ago and now he would play sports all/air. Starting to see the craziness even with 2 days a week for him and one for 4yo it's a lot with my work/hen's carpooling. Can't imagine with the crap older kids do.

Speaking of flag football.....so my 6yo is obsessed with football and his been geeked out of his mind for flag this fall, told him I'd stripe the backyard for a field this summer to play flag with his friends and he almost passed out. That said, come to find out his school team for 1-2nd graders is tackle....I mean, cmon man. Basically just a team in a city league of 1st/2nd graders....this is absurd, yes?

I love football and whatnot and would allow my kids to play if they wanted but isn't that a little weird or is this accepted? My kids are on the small side per my Hen's genes, I have a hard time imagining kids being able to hold their heads up. On the flipside a quick google search showed kids at that age just running around like cats as per every other sport at that age, not Von checking fools across the middle.

Anyone had experiences?

PS - please no FOOTBALL IS GREAT / FOOTBALL IS THE DEVIL answers, this is the trust tree of Dadyero
Wow...cool to go back and read. Ended up really diving deep into football which has been a great experience. 10yo and 8yo both in their 3rd year of tackle and love it. 10yo has had incredible success....I see in the above post saying he was obsessed with football, that certainly continued...I think he really has a future in it. 8yo loves it as well albeit not as much. 6yo girl into gymnastics, freaking loves it.

I ended up getting into coaching and flat out love it. Head coaching last year and moving forward with my 8yo’s football team and help out with 10yo’s. Will probably continue coaching thoroughly their time and possibly try to hop on to the high school staff when the time comes. Love it. Head coach 10yo in basketball as well.

Just a blast, love working with kids. If you’re ever on the fence about coaching your kids, do it. There have been a couple *disaster* parental interactions that made me want to run into the woods for a few days....but overall can’t say enough about what a positive experience it’s been. Do it. Get involved.

Just hoping to get kids back to sports...they need it. The planning and organization getting ready for football this year has been rough with the moving target that is Covid but it looks like it’s happening....fingers crossed.

Reactions: WynnDuffy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT