ADVERTISEMENT

DADYERO

We shit the bed in the Little League district semi-finals. Up 5-1 bottom 5th and our ace ran out of pitches then total meltdown and gave up 5 to go down 6-5. Didn't scratch in the 6th and then the next day in the losers bracket we were just hungover and lost 12-6 and were done.

We bounced back and won tournaments the last 2 weekends in Harrodsburg. Got one this weekend in Bardstown and finish at the Bluegrass state games next weekend.

I have coached youth sports for 17 years and I had more trouble with the parents than coaching the kids. I hated dealing with some of the parents. Some of those visor wearing dads screaming at their five year old or the umpire the whole game are a damn joke.

Reactions: sg24 and robvio
If you are looking to get kids outside and looking for something to do, get into Geocaching. Best 30 bucks I've spent in a long time to be able to spend a little extra time with the kids.

@Wodie Sloot I was reading in GYERO and noticed something about washer issue causing an odd smell in clothing? I am unsure if its legit because sarcasm meter is kind of broken at 5:20am.
However if its legit and you aren't opposed to trying it..I'm gonna offer a suggestion and explanation.

I'm the worst laundry person because I'll wash something and forget it. Have to rewash and clothing has that mildew water smell. So here is the fix.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lysol-Original-Scent-Disinfectant-12-oz/17352483

You can get it locally at your wally world and you only use a small cap full in a load of clothes. The concentrate smells harsh in the bottle, but dilutes well. Clothing will have a clinical smell the first wash but it takes the mildew smell out, for real. And its a 4 dollar bet. Wash some towels and see if that smell doesn't bother you, but I promise this stuff works. You'll think I'm crazy...but trust some random cat on this one. Wont hurt my feelings if it sounds crazy and you aren't interested, because once you smell that stuff in the bottle you will think I'm straight up ridiculous. But it works like a champ.

Even though I lived in lex for 5 years I never heard of Paris.

Dan Cummins has one helluva a set to make you feel like you should buy a damn car from a used car salesman.

20 tables, people at them doing paper work and seeing quotes, and every sale ends with a big celebration where everyone claps!!!!!

Yay!!!!!!

Also signed my kids up for soccer today. Take that mini van mom.

When we bought our mom mobile, I sent out my spec to a dozen dealers and asked them to send me bids (at around 5:30pm on a Thursday).

By 6:30pm, I had a few dealers competing. I had a spreadsheet set up to get everything apples to apples and I scripted my subsequent counter offers to each dealer in series. I took a ratio of MSRP to out-the-door cost and dropped it by a factor of something like 3% with each counter offer.

The next day, I conducted everything by email and sent my scripted counter offers in series until eventually only one dealer was left standing.

I had crushed the lowest purchase shown on TrueCar (11.63% vs 15.18% below MSRP) and never stepped foot in a dealership until I showed up to sign the papers 24 hours after I had sent out my spec.

That's the way to do it in the Internet age, imo. I think their main gambit is to make you feel like you've wasted so much of your time that might as well wrap things up to get out of there and not have to start over somewhere else. Screw 'em.

Last edited:
Reactions: 80 Proof
Ha! That seems a bit overboard.

Around Louosville the same make/model was on avg 4-6K more than what we bought. But we drove to Paris, Ky.

It has everything except remote start and sunroof so she is happy because I have a friend that can do the remote start for $150.

My truck was 5K and is paid and nice. She however is in debt on every car.

It sounds overboard, but it only took a couple of hours of my time to execute from my iPhone. And I had car in a day.

Did you ask the Lousiville dealers how low they were willing to go, or just rely on their listed "Internet prices"?

I recommend everyone use this method until the car dealer cabals are broken up by Tesla. It really only works for new cars, obviously.

The plans are nothing; planning is everything ATKOT.

Had a realization last night that my oldest (15) isn't going to be around here to hang out that much anymore. Kid is constantly gone with friends, church, school stuff, etc. That's a little bit hard to deal with and I never thought it would affect me all that much. I've always been the one who jokes about having the extra room in the house when he moves out, how much cheaper the grocery bill will be. Just kind of hit me last night.

Good news is I have two more to go ...

Does baseball ever end? We did the all-star (7U) thing all summer ending the season with a trip to a Legends game last weekend. The kids got their name called and got to be out on the field which was a really cool experience for them. I thought the season was over but almost the whole team has decided to jump into a fall ball league. My kid has really fallen in love with baseball so he was on board of course. He loves XC too. Basketball is his favorite though....

So at this point we have cross country practice 3 nights a week, fall ball games 2 nights a week, and travel basketball practice starting in September. All of this along with the 14yr old running high school CC and practicing 5 nights a week for 2hrs per night with basketball workouts thrown in as well.

No, baseball does not end. We ended our all star season weekend before last. Most of the team is playing together for fall ball. They are also going to do an indoor winter league from November-January. Then spring ball will start early March. We'll probably do basketball between Winter/Spring baseball.

I am going to be the head coach for my (almost) 5 year olds tee ball team this fall. Have been an assistant for 3 years and officially got my roster last night. I've got a couple guys helping me out so it should be fine. Actually looking forward to it which is something I wouldn't have believed I'd ever say 2 years ago.

My boys absolutely love baseball and enjoy playing it year round, but I do wish they could still play other sports. My oldest was really good at soccer when we did it a couple of years ago. He had a good natural feel for the game, but soccer is for pussy homo's so it had to be cut. Oh well.

Taking the family to Destin in 6 weeks. Usually drive straight thru but gonna stop in Birmingham this time and break the trip up into more manageable portions. 6 hours on Friday afternoon -> Hotel by 9 -> swim at the hotel pool, bed time by 11 ->wake up whenever Saturday morning, continental breakfast -> back on the road by 10, beach at 2. Nobodies super cranky and we've got basically an entire extra day on the emerald coast.

Taking the family to Destin in 6 weeks. Usually drive straight thru but gonna stop in Birmingham this time and break the trip up into more manageable portions. 6 hours on Friday afternoon -> Hotel by 9 -> swim at the hotel pool, bed time by 11 ->wake up whenever Saturday morning, continental breakfast -> back on the road by 10, beach at 2. Nobodies super cranky and we've got basically an entire extra day on the emerald coast.

This is exactly what we did on our PCB trip a few years back. Hotwired a room in Birmingham and ended up downtown at a really nice Westin(I think). Ate at overrated Dreamland that night, and would've gone swimming, but it was the night that Aaron H. beat Michigan for the CATS to go to the Final Four, and I was glued to ESPN the rest of the night.

Good call on breaking the trip up.

exchange today:

wife: girls' dance shop says we need to work concessions at a UK game including a 3 hour orientation or write them a check for $150. and I am out of town for the orientation and can't do it.

me: fu$k that noise. write the damn check

Our last trip was an absolute NIGHTMARE. We made the drive down reasonably quick, considering we had 3 kids 6 and under. Think we left the house around 4am and was at the beach by like 6. No major hold ups. Just your average bathroom breaks and snack breaks at some of Opps finest gas stations. BUT THE DRIVE HOME. Never again. We left 30-A at 8:30 that night and were planning on making the bulk of the trip while kids slept. Was going great until the damn van broke down outside of Nashville at 4am. Decided then that all future "long" trips will be taken during the day, and with more than enough time to reach our destination.

Our daughter who will be 2 in October has started going ape sh*t crazy about her shoes and always wanting to keep them on...I don't really want to placate her and turn her into a shoe whore.

What's the best thing to do besides chopping off her feet?

Our baseball season would have ended last week. We tried and tried to get into 1 kids pitch tournament before ending it, as we are now moving up into that age group. However, the weather just didn't cooperate and we never got to play. Coach has decided it's over anyway..... As the majority of the players aren't a bunch of pussies (my kid NOT included) and play football. Basketball is right around the corner as well.

We do start back pretty early, though (mid-February because of our indoor practice facility).

Our daughter who will be 2 in October has started going ape sh*t crazy about her shoes and always wanting to keep them on...I don't really want to placate her and turn her into a shoe whore.

What's the best thing to do besides chopping off her feet?
Let her wear the shoes and enjoy her happiness.

Reactions: cat_chaser
I'm curious about youth football in your hometowns. Is it as jacked up and full of disdain for the rivals as it is in Somerset KY?

Two football leagues and neither side's leadership wants to come together and play. So frustrating. Its also like that here in middle school and high school.

Dad question : what age is cell phones actually appropriate? More, how about access to social media?

Dealing with this quandary as of late.

Reactions: Mashburned
Dad question : what age is cell phones actually appropriate? More, how about access to social media?

It's all about the maturity and responsibility of the kid. My oldest (now 15) had one when he started middle school, along with Instagram and stuff. That may be considered 'late' nowadays, but that's when he was ready. Middle kid has had his iPod taken away so many times that it's ridiculous, so while he might have a phone for calling and texting, it's gonna be locked down like a mofo. No social media until he proves he can use the device properly for a while. The youngest is the only girl, so she can have whatever she wants.

Yesterday was a big day for me...all my lazy-ass moochers were set in motion.

• Wife started new teaching job. First job back since baby was born.
  • Son started 7th grade.
  • 3yr old boy ... First day ever in daycare.
  • Puppy (85lb 8 month old) first day locked in crate for 7 hours straight....
All did great except doggie. She pissed her crate.
She (dog) did better today.

7th grader proud he was selected for advanced math and TAG. Good luck with that. I can't help with math... I failed MA109 twice at UK.:beer:

Baby hysterical he had to leave daycare today. Not saying much for my wife's homeschool action.

Mine are two minutes apart as well....all 3 of them...

You win bro. You win.

One thing I always wanted to do was coach them in junior high/high school. I had coached basketball for several years before they were even born for the city. Just something I always wanted to do. Well, I was able to become an assistant coach on their school tennis team. Yesterday was actually one of my favorite days in a long time.

Reactions: cat_chaser

When it actually benefits you, until then there is no reason for any of it.

Got my oldest in soccer and basketball but he just found out about Boy Scouts and I've never seen him so happy. Bye bye sports most likely.

My other son will be more interested in sports, I think, but once big brother gets to shoot BB guns it could be over for the little guy too.

Not sure how I feel about it really, but I told my wife if they are going to be happy about that's all I care about.

Reactions: robvio
What's good Dadyero....

Helping coach 6yo's flag football team, got to say it's been absurdly fun for the kiddos and ole Dad. Breakout game for Jr last week, 2 TD catches and one passing (albeit kind of a swing pass but whatevs). Have a couple of ringers that can chuck a peewee ball about 25+ yards and mine who can reel it in. Pretty shocking aerial attack at that age, candidly.

Kinda feel bad for the other teams that don't look like they are having as much fun, the younger kids on our team that are just learning are getting a pretty big kick out of it as are the older ones scoring TDs of course. It's a blast.

Reactions: Joey Rupption
First real sickness he's got. He's had a few little cools here and there but this virus has his temp up 36 hours now and he goes up to about 104 - 105, gets chills, is all cuddly and tired, not much of an appetite. Doc said it has to run it's course but man this is tough to handle. I get really freaked when his temp goes way up. I do like the cuddly part.

Fevers are scary, but are they way the body copes with stuff that needs to get out. (I know you know that, and I'm not a doctor). I have had to remind myself that several times when it has happened with our three, but it's still pretty freaky. The best feeling, besides the cuddling, is when you go in their room at night and they've finally broken the fever.

Hang in there.

Look out for Hand Foot and Mouth if you never had it as a kid. For adult men, the virus has evolved to cause epididimytis (inflamed testicle) in some cases and I hit the jackpot in September after my kid had it.

First off, everyone assumes you just coincidentally visited a Tiajuana whorehouse while you had HFM lesions on your fingertips and painful blisters on your hands and feet. I had to show the medical article to my doctor for him to believe it.

And the fact that it's viral means it just has to run its course. It essentially feels like someone kicked you in the nuts, five minutes ago, for four days. I could barely walk and had to work from home.

Now I feel like it's my responsibility to warn all other dad's about this little gem. You're welcome.

:joy: That was actually our first thought because it was going around daycare. Doesn't have the symptoms.

After loads of research I guess fevers aren't as dangerous as I always assumed. 104... oh shoot your brain is going to get damaged!!! I guess fever reduction is mostly a comfort deal. Right after that post he hit 106 for a short period. Dose of Tylenol, calls doc, runs and buys new thermometer, 105.4, another small dose, popsicle, water, wet rag.... play time. Lol. Shew, 1st time parents. Assuming you vets are laughing hysterically. :cry: not a fan of little dude feeling bad.

GIVE ME SOME GOD DAMN ANTIBIOTICS, DOC!!

I've said that a time or two.... Knowing full well why they don't. Shit has changed since I was a kid.

Reactions: funKYcat75
BUMP

How's Christmas shopping going? What's on the list this year? Mine haven't really given us much to work with. 5 year old keeps saying he wants a skateboard. Not sure what to do here. I mean, I'll probably get him one, but he's going to be a terrible at it and probably hurt himself. Whatever. Oldest is into art and baseball. Probably just get him some gear and art supplies. Idk. Daughter is going to get baby dolls/barbies/anything her heart desires.

Speaking of Christmas, what's your top kids Christmas flicks? I'm gonna go
1. Home Alone
2. The Santa Clause
3. Muppet Christmas Carol
4. Polar Express
5. Toy Story (not technically Christmas I guess but they always play it on abc family this time of year)
196. The grinch (jim Carey). I really don't like this. Feels like Batman Forever. Just really lame.

We do the elf on the shelf thing. It's so damn stupid but the kids love it. One day they'll be older and think that kinda thing is lame and ridiculous (it is) but until then I'm going to enjoy seeing them get tickled at that whatever shenanigans that little rascal is doing each morning. It also sorta encourages them behave better, so thats a plus.

We opted to do winter league baseball instead of basketball this year. It's fine. Only 2 teams in the league so not much in terms of excitement week to week but he's enjoying it more than he would hoops. Never thought we'd be doing year round baseball at 7 but I'm a psychotic loser living vicariously through his kids so it's only natural.

What kinda Christmas traditions do you do? Not talking Christmas Day, basically the month of December? We go to southern lights at the horse park at least once. Also going to do the train ride with santa thing in Versailles. St. Nich :)stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) festival and parade. Usually drive around and look at lights a handful of times. Most wonderful dad time of the year, imo.

- 6yo finished leading scorer on his undefeated flag football team. What a blast. Wasn't the best player as that fell to our golden armed qb but he made house calls at an incredible clip, kid loves the game. Think that may have tipped the scales towards tackle in a year or two vs not. Reality check with his first hoops game Sat where he was reminded earned not given in the loss.

Christmas:

- notable seasonal additions....bought a Philips Hue light kit which Joey Ruption will either love or loathe me for. Kids love fooling with the colors but set them to come on red/green for Christmas and all blue for Wildcat Friend time.

Also got a yard inflatable for each kiddo....Avengers/Minions/Olaf. They and all they other neighborhood kids love them. In my non dadyero days I would have found them to be rednecky but they are a hit. The minion one is animatronic with a little minion popping out of a Christmas tree which 4yo lost composure when he saw.

Wii U on deck for the kids....love Mario Kart and they aren't ready for a big kid system, I know the Wii U has been discontinued but figure we can make some food family time out of it.

Love this time of year....I was a mess last year this time, first season after losing my Dad and it was hell for me. Didn't enjoy a thing with the hen/kids, a shame given their age. Back in the groove this year, really conscious of making it fun for them as my Dad did for so long...

Christmas:

Upgrading the Xbox 360 to Xbox 1. Already got it with the minecraft for $250. We will swap the 360 out on xmas eve unfortunately to keep the secret safe.

Probably add skylander games, soccer and wrestling for now.

Went clothes shopping Friday while the kids were with family. Just grab this and that and whatever else we need.........$400 later I was like WTF after the wife offered to just go get the car before the totals came across. Needless to say once I brought it up to her, without skipping a beat as she hold the receipt "well honey we saved $450 you should be happy, plus we had $75 Kohl's cash from Xbox."

Saved!!!!

Still have bow n arrow, air pistols and air rifle as well as camping type stuff to get for them too.

Probably get the 6month old a toy or two so he can be involved in the mess.

Saw this thread bumped and reread some of the posts...lemme share something.

DO NOT be nonchalant with babies' spiked temps.

Thursday night, midnight, I was awoken violently by a screaming wife pleading me to call 9-1-1. Our 3 year old was puking and wife claimed he was on fire. He prolly had a 105° (or higher) fever.

I told her to get him to tub to cool him down.

From there, he started full-body convulsing for a period of 3-4 minutes. He was non-responsive, not in control of anything and fading beyond the seizure he threw. I now know [It's called a febrile seizure] . I thought he choked on puke or swallowed his tongue... I thought we lost him.

Ambulance, ER, IV, bloodwork, chest X-ray later... first thought to be pneumonia was later diagnosed ear infection.

Scary shit. Gut wrenching. He didn't truly bounce back and start talking til 10 am in ER.

This is the first event such as this for anyone in my family, so I tell ya to have Motrin/Tylenol on the ready if your kid is over 100°.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT