ADVERTISEMENT

Compare this year to last...

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
With the roster finally set, how close does it come to last year's team in terms of depth, talent and most importantly, AS A BALANCED COLLEGE TEAM? 2015 had a deeper and more talented frontcourt, but didn't always have minutes for everyone. 2016 may have a quicker, more offensively versatile backcourt. I like the balance across the board better this year.

Last year's team probably had more NBA talent, but that isn't always the same as effective college talent. We don't have all the answers yet, about Mulder and Matthews, for example, and whether Poythress is 100 percent. But it is interesting to compare.

2015 --- 2016

Harrison --- Ulis
Harrison --- Briscoe
Ulis --- Murray
Booker --- Mulder
Lyles --- Matthews
Johnson --- Poythress
Cauley-Stein --- Humphries
Lee --- Lee
Towns --- Labissierre

2015 definitely has more overall talent but that team was really missing a second high-level go-to scorer after Towns. All the other guys were mostly one dimensional. This year's team looks like it could have three in Murray, Briscoe, and Skal, and with three legit PGs on the roster, that will be three playmakers that can generate easier scoring chances for the others.

With the roster finally set, how close does it come to last year's team in terms of depth, talent and most importantly, AS A BALANCED COLLEGE TEAM? 2015 had a deeper and more talented frontcourt, but didn't always have minutes for everyone. 2016 may have a quicker, more offensively versatile backcourt. I like the balance across the board better this year.

Last year's team probably had more NBA talent, but that isn't always the same as effective college talent. We don't have all the answers yet, about Mulder and Matthews, for example, and whether Poythress is 100 percent. But it is interesting to compare.

2015 --- 2016

Harrison --- Ulis
Harrison --- Briscoe
Ulis --- Murray
Booker --- Mulder
Lyles --- Matthews
Johnson --- Poythress
Cauley-Stein --- Humphries
Lee --- Lee
Towns --- Labissierre

I think one of the most overrated aspect in terms of what a team needs is depth. I rather play the best player 40 minutes, if possible.

At the end of the day, we can only put 5 players at a time. As season progressed few things happened. Interior rotation stopped happening, as WCS/KAT took majority of the minute. The backcourt however remained the same with Twins, Booker, Ulis, and Lyles. But much of rotation system became clearer, as who ever was playing well at the time would join the second group, as the off guard/SF position.

This is college, most players can play 34-36 minutes anyways, so having bench during season might be important to get through injuries, but beyond that it's meaningless.

The backcourt's issue was there was no dominant player. I believe Murray can be type of a player that KAT became, who would have taken minutes from both Twins and Booker/Ulis. Just feel like he's a tier above the 4 guards we had last year.

I believe Skal would be similar to KAT, so we'll have great 1-2 punch. From there, i think few weakness shows up compared to last year.

1. We could potentially be weaker rebounder than last year on defensive/offensive side. Which is a bad news, and some of it would improve if Poythress/Lee develops their rebounding ability. (Not sure how Poythress can accomplish that with all the injury)
2. Our defense will be weaker than last year, especially when last year had Poythress. Physically weaker and get's more pushed around.

If 1/2 isn't a problem, this team will be disgustingly good. I believe our offense will be actually couple levels better than last year. Much better spacing and skilled players.

2015 definitely has more overall talent but that team was really missing a second high-level go-to scorer after Towns. All the other guys were mostly one dimensional. This year's team looks like it could have three in Murray, Briscoe, and Skal, and with three legit PGs on the roster, that will be three playmakers that can generate easier scoring chances for the others.

Ill bet you $4 that Ulis scores more pts than Briscoe

- Better floor spacing this season
- Better ball handling
- Less rim protection
- Better perimeter defense (Matthews, Ulis, Hawkins, Poythress)
- Less depth
- Better speed
- Better (probably) transition game

I like this team's floor spacing better and ability to defend the perimeter. I think this team could win it all. Not sure I'm willing to say they're better than last year's team, but I feel they have the potential to take down the 2015 team.

Unlike last year, this team is going to have growing pains and will not have 4 out of 5 starters, at least until Poythress went down, and 2 more players who had final four experience. Last year our freshman were not thrown in the fire. They had a whole team of guys who could guide them. We have Ulis, Lee, and Poythress back from last years team and after that we are depending on freshman early in the year. I say we lose 4-6 games but by March we could be damn good. I think people are already taking last years team for granted. We were a machine and had the Harrison twins, who for all the bashing they got, were flat out winners and two of the most clutch players I have ever seen.

Reactions: Jazzycat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT